Forum Jump:
Old 07-18-2016, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG Magic Remote and receiver

I have a 2016 LG 4k TV with Magic remote and am having issues setting up the individual components due to a receiver. I had 0 issues if I used the separate HDMI ports on the TV for each component (Blu-ray player and DirecTV Genie) but then the sound is limited to the TV speakers. Instead, I want the sound to come from my Yamaha V677 receiver for the set top boxes to make sure I get the HD sound from Blu-rays, etc and also get sound from the LG built in TV Apps via HDMI ARC. When you go the receiver route, you can't seem to edit the set top boxes manually since all devices are set to HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV, connected to the receiver. The magic remote set everything up automatically, but the Blu-ray player is not working since it registered the incorrect remote. The TV Apps Arc sound is working and DirecTV is fine. When Blu-ray is selected, the receiver switches over correctly but the Blu-ray player is not powered on and the LG remote wont control the Blu-ray player; instead, it thinks it is still on DirecTV even though the receiver switched properly.

Any advice on what to do? I used to have everything working, but for some reason my remote/TV lost its mind and I had to set things up again. If I could just edit the remote settings for each individual input - that was possible when everything was on a separate HDMI input on the TV, but now that everything is funneled through the receiver it wants to over-write the receiver settings if I try to tell it about the Blu-ray player since both are on HDMI ARC 2 for the TV....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
I have a 2016 LG 4k TV with Magic remote and am having issues setting up the individual components due to a receiver. I had 0 issues if I used the separate HDMI ports on the TV for each component (Blu-ray player and DirecTV Genie) but then the sound is limited to the TV speakers. Instead, I want the sound to come from my Yamaha V677 receiver for the set top boxes to make sure I get the HD sound from Blu-rays, etc and also get sound from the LG built in TV Apps via HDMI ARC. When you go the receiver route, you can't seem to edit the set top boxes manually since all devices are set to HDMI 2 (ARC) on the TV, connected to the receiver. The magic remote set everything up automatically, but the Blu-ray player is not working since it registered the incorrect remote. The TV Apps Arc sound is working and DirecTV is fine. When Blu-ray is selected, the receiver switches over correctly but the Blu-ray player is not powered on and the LG remote wont control the Blu-ray player; instead, it thinks it is still on DirecTV even though the receiver switched properly.

Any advice on what to do? I used to have everything working, but for some reason my remote/TV lost its mind and I had to set things up again. If I could just edit the remote settings for each individual input - that was possible when everything was on a separate HDMI input on the TV, but now that everything is funneled through the receiver it wants to over-write the receiver settings if I try to tell it about the Blu-ray player since both are on HDMI ARC 2 for the TV....
jcrbandit

Have you been able to get this to work? I have an LG TV coming in 2 weeks and I have been searching for the best way to set up all the connections to maximize the LG Magic Remote functions while still getting the sound from each source to go through the receiver. I have been searching the OLED forums too but haven't found anything yet; they are quite large. :-)

RayB
Display: LG OLEDB6P
Receiver: Denon AVR -X2300W
BluRay: Philips BDP7501 UHD BluRay Player
Speakers: DefTech Pro Monitor 100 w/Center 200
Old 08-07-2016, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
jcrbandit

Have you been able to get this to work? I have an LG TV coming in 2 weeks and I have been searching for the best way to set up all the connections to maximize the LG Magic Remote functions while still getting the sound from each source to go through the receiver. I have been searching the OLED forums too but haven't found anything yet; they are quite large. :-)
I never figured it out. Setting things up with the receiver, TV, HDMI arc (built in Netflix, Vudu, video player), and DirecTV - I can consistently get these to work fine. If you press the little menu button the Magic Remote it gives extra needed buttons for the DirecTV remote like Guide. However, I still can't get the Blu-ray player to be recognized properly due to having to go through the receiver for sound. I just gave up and if I ever need to watch a Blu-ray (mostly stream stuff), I'll just use the Blu-ray player remote.....

I initially was having issues getting my receiver set up again because the HDMI ARC function somehow got reset so the receiver wasn't automatically going to the proper channel for HDMI arc - I had to toggle through the all the ARC options on my receiver for it to recognize it properly again. The other thing you have to be careful of is you need newer HDMI cables that work with ARC. I initially tried using some HDMI cables I had left over from a couple of years ago and they did not work.

The only thing I can think of trying which I haven't yet, is to initially plug everything into separate HDMI inputs on the TV and set them all up without going through the receiver. Then instead plug everything into the receiver and hopefully the magic remote will set up everything correctly. That is sort of how I did it originally - I didn't have the receiver plugged in while the house was being rennovated.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will help as I try to get everything set up. Frankly, if I can get everything except the Blu-ray player to work through the LG remote, I'll be pretty darn happy. Having the TV control the streaming services and cable feed/guide etc. is the most important for me. I have Wide Open West for cable (small provider) so I'm not sure how smoothly it will interface with the LG. I could always go back to Comcast if I have to, but I would prefer not to.

What connection does the LG use to get the guide info from the Direct TV box? Does it come over HDMI, or did you need an additional connection? Thanks again.

RayB
Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayb View Post
what connection does the lg use to get the guide info from the direct tv box? Does it come over hdmi, or did you need an additional connection? Thanks again.
hdmi
Old 08-09-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
hdmi
Thanks!!

RayB
Old 02-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't understand how to get the remote to control both the receiver and direct TV. The only receiver function I really need is volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement