Forum Jump:
post #1 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My receiver has one optical digital audio input and one coaxil digital audio input.

well, I've got two sources that have digital audio out, my Xbox360 and my satellite TV receiver.

I want to have nice clear and crisp digital sound across the board so I want to have them both plugged in when I'm using each respective channel. so can I use the optical digital audio input for my Xbox360 via a fiber optic audio cable and then plug my satellite receiver into the coaxil digital audio input by using just a regular old RCA red & white cable (obviously I'd just use either the red or the white plug because the coaxil digital audio input is only a single jack)? or do I have to purchase a "digital audio coaxil" cable that I see advertised?

thats basically my question.. is an "RCA" cable an "RCA" cable? a "digital audio coaxil" is the same thing right? or are the wires inside different somehow? because i've got plenty of old red & white RCA cables sitting around. I don't want to have to go out and buy something I don't need.

off topic: I know both my Xbox360 and satellite receiver have optical audio outs but I'm not sure if my satellite receiver has a coaxil digital audio out. I may need to get an adapter. they make these, right?

thanks for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 03:34 PM

I think you can for short runs. I've temporarily used one for that purpose in the past.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

I have used one as a temporary connection, to test, use the correct cable for permanent install. I prefer optical. Usually sat receivers(except basic models) have both. Use those rca for what they were meant for. I would get the correct cable. With your receiver, you have to decide which gets the digital and which gets the analog.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS

post #4 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

this is what I meant:

My receiver only has-

One optical digital audio input ====> Xbox360 (might was well use it for gaming)

One coaxil digital audio input ====> Satellite receiver (kind of forced to because its this input or regular old red and white analog)

so my question was can a regular old RCA coaxil cable function as a "digital audio coaxil cable"?

I mean, they sell Monster THX digital audio coaxil cables on ebay but why use that if a red or white plug on a regular RCA cable does the samething? a composite cable is a composite cable, right?
post #5 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscart1 View Post

so my question was can a regular old RCA coaxil cable function as a "digital audio coaxil cable"?

I already answered you. Yes, you can. However, I've heard you should only do it for short runs of cable.

Ok, I just looked back at my original post and I guess I said I think you can. I've done it before though, so yeah you can do it.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You should use a "75-ohm" cable for digital audio. A composite video cable should also work. However, over short runs, a "normal" audio cable will probably be ok.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

ahh.. I get it.

I thought you guys misunderstood my question because you were telling me to "just use optical cable" so then I went to explain that I don't really have a choice because of my limited inputs but I got it now.

i mean I imagine those THX Monster coaxil cables are probably nice and all and are fat and have lots of insulation but when its just digital to digital none of that really matters right.... its the same reason you can get away with using a $15 HDMI cable over a $120 Monster one.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:16 PM

I'm definitely not recommending it, but I've done it before for a very short period of time.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can use a regular Composite VIDEO cable instead of a digital coax...

I had a friend who used a subwoofer cable instead of a digital coax cable and he experienced dropouts every minute or so. So just spend $15 and get a Digital coax cable...

<><

RTR
post #10 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post

You should use a "75-ohm" cable for digital audio. A composite video cable should also work. However, over short runs, a "normal" audio cable will probably be ok.

hmm.. well maybe I will get a coaxil cable thats specifically for "digital audio".

its going to be a permanent install job for my satellite receiver and from what you guys are saying a regular old composite cable WOULD work but maybe I should get a real cable made specifically for coaxil digital audio. shouldn't cost me more than $10-15 at Fry's.
post #11 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

from what you guys are saying a regular old composite cable WOULD work but maybe I should get a real cable made specifically for coaxil digital audio.

Composite video cables are 75 Ohm coax.

"Digitial audio (coax)" cables are 75 Ohm coax .

They are the same thing, the term digital coax is a marketing term designed to get more money out of the uninformed consumer.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

ah! I knew it. digital is digital.

we aren't talking analog here so that figures.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:42 PM

forget what the other people said about using it for short runs or only for temporary use. the bottom line is that nearly any old rca cable will work fine. try it out and see if it works consistently and you should be fine. i've used 100 ft runs of thin, unshielded, ultra cheapo RCA for digital coax and it worked fine.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys, you've been a lot of help.

I guess my final question is- in case my satellite receiver only has an optical audio output port do they sell an adapter or wire that goes from optical digital audio into coaxil digital audio?

I wish my damn receiver had more optical audio ports but its only got one.. I may be stuck with just getting one of these if I can't get my coaxil digital audio input working...

post #15 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM

you can only use the y adapter if both of your optical output components shut off their optical output when they are off. some components keep outputting a blank signal even when they are off, which would conflict with the other signal when using the splitter you posted a pic of.

for a converter, see:
http://ramelectronics.net/html/a..._adapters.html
post #16 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 256
If it sounds fine with the "regular old" RCA cable, then it works. Otherwise, you'll know it if it doesn't work.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #17 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

[quote=collin]forget what the other people said

Thanks

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #18 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM

[quote=Davinleeds]
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post

forget what the other people said

Thanks

post #19 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post

you can only use the y adapter if both of your optical output components shut off their optical output when they are off. some components keep outputting a blank signal even when they are off, which would conflict with the other signal when using the splitter you posted a pic of.

for a converter, see:
http://ramelectronics.net/html/a..._adapters.html

thanks for the info. i'm pretty sure my Xbox360 shuts completely off so I shouldn't have a problem. i'll give it a peek tho to make sure. probably just remove the optical audio cable when the console is off and swing the little door open with a toothpick or something to see if the red light is on, right?

and another update: my satellite receiver does NOT have a stinking coaxil digital audio out jack so I'm going to have to buy another optical audio cable and order one of those toslink splitters.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-04-2007, 05:12 AM

I just want to thank everyone for the info in this thread. I am in the exact same position as Chriscart1. But, I am curious though about running analog rca stereo cables from my Xbox 360: I am doing that now because I have no choice. I have a 5.1 receiver and when I play games I can hear audio on separate discrete channels even though I am only using those 2 analog cables. Am I hearing things or is this possible? I thought the rear channels would be outputting the same audio in each, but it sounds like it is in 5.1. I am going to change my setup anyways to what it should be when I get the toslink cable but I was wondering if anyone has noticed this?
post #21 of 23 Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 66
what kind of receiver are you using ?
post #22 of 23 Old 02-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgjr75 View Post

I just want to thank everyone for the info in this thread. I am in the exact same position as Chriscart1. But, I am curious though about running analog rca stereo cables from my Xbox 360: I am doing that now because I have no choice. I have a 5.1 receiver and when I play games I can hear audio on separate discrete channels even though I am only using those 2 analog cables. Am I hearing things or is this possible? I thought the rear channels would be outputting the same audio in each, but it sounds like it is in 5.1. I am going to change my setup anyways to what it should be when I get the toslink cable but I was wondering if anyone has noticed this?

You are hearing dolby pro-logic which is able to decode separate left, right, center and rear from 2 channel analog (red/white) audio sources. The xbox360 must be sending out a prologic signal, even the old xbox does prologic. Although I'm not familiar with the never flavors of prologic, the old one has a single channel which is duplicated in both rear channels.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-04-2007, 10:14 AM

I am using a Pioneer DSX-V510. I have had it for about 4-5 years. Yeah Dolby Pro Logic is lit up on my receiver while playing my 360, I guess I didn't understand exactly how Pro Logic separates the channels. So now I am wondering how much of a difference would I even hear if I went optical? My issue is that there is only a Digital Coax (DVD) and an optical(Digital Cable) on my receiver, like the topic starter. Again thanks for the info. Is there a sort of splitter that will separate two sources going into one digital audio input on the receiver?

Edit: Ignore my last question, I read the other replies to this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page