• 1 Post By Molon_Labe
Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7245 Post(s)
Liked: 12423
Mobile Dirac Live Room Correction to Debut at CEDIA 2017

Dirac says it will introduce a consumer-friendly version of its room correction software that uses a mobile app to guide users through the setup process.

Please click the following link to read more: Mobile Dirac Live App to Debut at CEDIA 2017

A peek at the Mobile Dirac Live app.

The app lets you adjust the target curve.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at online-shashki Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 AM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Will it use the iPhone's mic?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Will it use the iPhone's mic?
No, this app will use the calibration mic provided by the AVR maker.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 626
This is actually a huge announcement imo and will really come in handy to those with Dirac Live. I really enjoy the ease of use and added parameter settings and target curves and graphs the MultEQ 32 Editor App adds ( and being able to turn off the default midrange compensation setting). So this should be pretty damn cool for Dirac Live users.

3 x JBL Pro 3677 LCRs|4 x JBL Pro 9310 surrounds 7.2 configuration| Dual JTR Captivator 1400's |Oppo UDP-203| Playstation 4| Denon AVR-X6300H 11ch. 4K 3D AVR
Sony VPL-HW40ES | 125" Elite AT Screen 16x9 1080p2 0.8 gain AT material | Furman power protection | SeatCraft 12006 HT seating | Acoustimac acoustic panels
Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Makes for a multizone setup running through your processor a bit easier to do. Not sure If I'd really use it for the main zone except to save the hassle of all the usb cables running to my laptop.

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, LG OLED B7P
Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
Makes for a multizone setup running through your processor a bit easier to do. Not sure If I'd really use it for the main zone except to save the hassle of all the usb cables running to my laptop.
Well, exactly. With an AVR that has a calibration mic plugged directly into it, this is the way to go.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Hmm, I wonder if this will be compatible with the MiniDSP Dirac units. I just purchased a DDRC-22D a week ago, and I had to buy a laptop to be able to run the calibrations. If I'd known this was coming and if it will be compatible I could've saved that money. Then again, the MiniDSP units require the microphone to plug into the computer, so this may not work with those.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
Old 08-30-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Hmm, I wonder if this will be compatible with the MiniDSP Dirac units. I just purchased a DDRC-22D a week ago, and I had to buy a laptop to be able to run the calibrations. If I'd known this was coming and if it will be compatible I could've saved that money. Then again, the MiniDSP units require the microphone to plug into the computer, so this may not work with those.
Based on the press release, it would seem that the app is aimed at AVR-based "lite" implementations. Now, I'm not sure what the exact differences would be, but as you point out the full implementation that works with miniDSP uses the highly accurate UMIK-1 that includes a custom calibration profile.

I'll report in depth on the app's capabilities from CEDIA, to clarify the difference. But I'm guessing the Dirac device needs to have some sort of network connection to work with the app, so it seems unlikely that the miniDSP would get this update. But, that's just a guess, the best bet is to talk to miniDSP about that.

Last edited by imagic; 08-30-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It's interesting their use of the word "lite" in their marketing spread. Usually that has meant taking measurements and having it determine a target curve that is non-changeable by the user. Looks like they now will allow custom house curves in their lite versions (which is really all you need) and not allow windowing or individual ASCII filter editing like their desktop version. The bigger question will be cost and what product lines will be supported.

Please post an update Mark once you have all the info from the show. I'm sure there are more than a few users out there waiting for DIRAC to take this next step.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Based on the press release, it would seem that the app is aimed at AVR-based "lite" implementations. Now, I'm not sure what the exact differences would be, but as you point out the full implementation that works with miniDSP uses the highly accurate UMIK-1 that includes a custom calibration profile.

I'll report in depth on the app's capabilities from CEDIA, to clarify the difference. But I'm guessing the Dirac device needs to have some sort of network connection to work with the app, so it seems unlikely that the miniDSP would get this update. But, that's just a guess, the best bet is to talk to miniDSP about that.
Your first pic shows the nanoavr listed on the iphone screen, 3rd down after Arcam and emotiva. Though I have no clue why the xpa gen 3 shows up instead of the XMC-1 or RMC... wonder if that's a mistake or something interesting coming out.

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, LG OLED B7P
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmlamb View Post
Your first pic shows the nanoavr listed on the iphone screen, 3rd down after Arcam and emotiva. Though I have no clue why the xpa gen 3 shows up instead of the XMC-1 or RMC... wonder if that's a mistake or something interesting coming out.

Okay, I confess, I did not even think about what was implied by the gear listed in that graphic. Interesting. I too would just be guessing as to what it means.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well AFAIK the XPA-2 Gen3 is an amplifier so I don't think that Dirac will work with just an amplifier. If however the graphic meant to say XMC-2 Gen 3 then this link http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/868760/thread includes a quote from Dan Laufman discussing the various processors that Emotiva were/are planning. The XMC-2 Gen 3 was at that time planned as an intermediate processor between the XMC-1 and the RMC-1. I haven't seen anything confirmed recently about the XMC-2 Gen 3 but it does seem like there would be space in the product line up between the XMC-1 and the RMC-1. In any event all three processors would support Dirac so it might then just be a case of whether there are any limitations on the capabilities of this App as to whether it would work with all three processors or not.

Just my 2c.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This seems like a perfectly good way to set up Dirac, of course we will have to see how robust the app is and hopefully it's pretty good.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Any mention of Atmos processing?
Old 09-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hopefully this means the other brands that dirac has been working with recently will be announcing mid level product shortly. I'd like some 1000-2000 dollar options for atmos compatible receivers.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Hopefully this means the other brands that dirac has been working with recently will be announcing mid level product shortly. I'd like some 1000-2000 dollar options for atmos compatible receivers.

Nad T758 v3 is already confirmed to have Dirac through a software upgrade. It does atmos even though you need to get additional amps to power the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Nad T758 v3 is already confirmed to have Dirac through a software upgrade. It does atmos even though you need to get additional amps to power the speakers.
True, only three HDMI inputs though. I need 5, so I'm hoping for something a bit more mainstream (5 is a bit much, but not really THAT much with htpc, tivo, and a couple gaming machines.) T777v3 would work, but we are back to 2500 again and I think out of the target price range of "consumer products" and still well within specialty. What is good is the competition will hopefully help make everyone release better products.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
Old 09-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
But I'm guessing the Dirac device needs to have some sort of network connection to work with the app, so it seems unlikely that the miniDSP would get this update.
Mark, is the crossout merely because the network connection/app is unrelated to MiniDSP, whose other models already use the app/server/DSP-device model? Alas, the rest of the sentence is still true: All Dirac implementations require that their algorithm will only run on their own in-house servers, which pass results back to the local measurement(-only) application, to be uploaded to the device's CPU. Dependence upon their company maintaining their servers in perpetuity has always been a reason to choose Audyssey, which runs entirely on the device you have ownership and possession (forever) of. I don't see Dirac changing their restrictions unless the competition gets to them.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked: 2489
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I think Nad should focus on debugging their current features and get those working properly before adding additional features. I don't own one but owner reviews have been pretty brutal thus far.
CruelInventions likes this.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I think Nad should focus on debugging their current features and get those working properly before adding additional features. I don't own one but owner reviews have been pretty brutal thus far.

My NAD T775HD is flawless with the am200 and vm150 boards. I have had it since 2011. They sent me regular firmware updates. I am not sure what the problem with the newer gen stuff. Yikes. I was waiting for an updated atmos card for my T775HD but I got tempted by a really good deal on the denon 4300 and got it. Testing it out now. I moved the nad downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cedia 2017 , dirac , mobile dirac live , room correction