Forum Jump:
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member

prolle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Harbeth (SHL5 plus or 30.1) or Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M

Hi guys,


I am on the quest for my final speaker purchase ever. It will be used for 2 channel music. My room is not that big, round about 30 ft x 18 ft. My requirements are for a warm sounding, not harsh nor treble biased sound. I've had Dynaudio Focus 160 and B&W CM9s before and I found that they both had good detail, they lacked integration of sound. I could hear the various instruments which were well isolated but I just did not enjoy the sound. It was transparent, but at the same time found it a little harsh and fatiguing. I have done quite a bit of research and for a budget of circa $3000, I'm thinking of Harbeth or Sonus Faber. I will audition and see for myself if they can produce a warm yet detailed, smooth and non-harsh sound, which are an enjoyable listen rather than for analysis of the music.


My dealer has Harbeth (P3ESR, PSSHL5 plus or 30.1) or Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M are for sale used condition locally. They might fit the bill?


What do you guys think?


Thanks
prolle is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 07:29 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Reefdvr27's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post
Hi guys,


I am on the quest for my final speaker purchase ever. It will be used for 2 channel music. My room is not that big, round about 30 ft x 18 ft. My requirements are for a warm sounding, not harsh nor treble biased sound. I've had Dynaudio Focus 160 and B&W CM9s before and I found that they both had good detail, they lacked integration of sound. I could hear the various instruments which were well isolated but I just did not enjoy the sound. It was transparent, but at the same time found it a little harsh and fatiguing. I have done quite a bit of research and for a budget of circa $3000, I'm thinking of Harbeth or Sonus Faber. I will audition and see for myself if they can produce a warm yet detailed, smooth and non-harsh sound, which are an enjoyable listen rather than for analysis of the music.


My dealer has Harbeth (P3ESR, PSSHL5 plus or 30.1) or Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M are for sale used condition locally. They might fit the bill?


What do you guys think?


Thanks
I have never heard either, but I heard allot of good things about the Harbeth, they are on my list to hear. I will throw it out there because I am looking at a little DIY speaker project. It is the Linkwitz LX521. I am planning on building a pair over the winter. I think they can be built for about $3K. check out the link.

http://linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm


Reef's Systems
/forum/89-spe...l#post23524217

Reef's little theater
/t/1523111/th...-theater-build
Reefdvr27 is offline
Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member

prolle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I have never heard either, but I heard allot of good things about the Harbeth, they are on my list to hear. I will throw it out there because I am looking at a little DIY speaker project. It is the Linkwitz LX521. I am planning on building a pair over the winter. I think they can be built for about $3K. check out the link.

http://linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm

Thanks, but not sure I've the skills nor the spare time to build.
prolle is offline

Old 12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Kpt_Krunch's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolle View Post
Hi guys,


I am on the quest for my final speaker purchase ever. It will be used for 2 channel music. My room is not that big, round about 30 ft x 18 ft. My requirements are for a warm sounding, not harsh nor treble biased sound. I've had Dynaudio Focus 160 and B&W CM9s before and I found that they both had good detail, they lacked integration of sound. I could hear the various instruments which were well isolated but I just did not enjoy the sound. It was transparent, but at the same time found it a little harsh and fatiguing. I have done quite a bit of research and for a budget of circa $3000, I'm thinking of Harbeth or Sonus Faber. I will audition and see for myself if they can produce a warm yet detailed, smooth and non-harsh sound, which are an enjoyable listen rather than for analysis of the music.


My dealer has Harbeth (P3ESR, PSSHL5 plus or 30.1) or Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M are for sale used condition locally. They might fit the bill?


What do you guys think?


Thanks
So OP - did you ever go down to your local dealer and check out the Harbeths? If so, did you buy, or were they not to your liking?

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Kpt_Krunch is offline
Old 01-02-2015, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member

prolle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post
So OP - did you ever go down to your local dealer and check out the Harbeths? If so, did you buy, or were they not to your liking?
Yes, ended up with Harbeth P3ESRs. By far the best. Voices sound so real along with acoustic instruments. That's is not to say they can't handle rock or electronic - they can! Great sound, never harsh nor fatiguing.

Highly recommended these to anybody.
prolle is offline
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Kpt_Krunch's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That's what I've been reading. I've read many posts how these speakers are "audiophile killers" - as 'audiophiles' are always tinkering, spending more and more money, never 'happy' then they get some Harbeths and all of a sudden it's 'Hey, this is perfect no need to spend more money - except on music'. I'm looking at the C7's or the SHL5 Pluses, not sure which one I'll get yet but I'm saving up now. The thin walled, unbraced (or marginally braced) cabinets are the key to the realistic sounding acoustics from what I've read and understood. Congrats and thanks for the update.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Kpt_Krunch is offline
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Milt99's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,579
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I have 2 pairs of Harbeth speakers.
Original HL monitors dating from 1979 and HLP3ES from the mid 90's.
While the monitors were revolutionary for their time they suffer badly in comparo to newer models, Harbeth really took off after Alan Shaw took over.
The HLP3 series are excellent with the exception of bass response, obviously.

You can judge for yourself how popular the P3s are by looking at Audiogon and how fast they sell.

As an aside, it always kills me when people post that they don't have a large room and then list dimensions like 30' by 18'.
That's nominally a 4300 cubic foot space.
What is a large room to you folks?
Madison Square Garden?

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off