1 2 3 ... Last
Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) > Official Sony VW885ES / VW760ES Owner's Thread
dmillionz's Avatar dmillionz 11:30 AM 12-12-2017

UPDATE: 2/28/2018

USER MANUAL:

Sony VPL-VW760ES VPL-VW885ES User Manual

Superlative native 4K picture quality with a laser light source in a compact projector

It’s an unforgettable experience, whatever you’re watching. An ideal choice for your home cinema room, the VPL-VW885ES / VPL-VW760ES brings movies to life with extraordinary cinematic detail, color and contrast.

This compact projector combines an advanced laser light source with the same 4K SXRD panel technology found in Sony's professional cinema projectors.

Crisply detailed native 4K images (4096 x 2160) offer four times the resolution of Full HD, pulling you right into the heart of the action with unprecedented clarity. You’ll experience fabulously rich cinematic colors, smooth motion and spectacular contrast.

Generous 2,000 lumen brightness assures vibrant images, even in well-lit rooms. The ultra-pure, highly efficient laser light source delivers consistent image brightness, without the gradual drop-off in light levels experienced with lamps. You’ll also enjoy reduced operating costs compared with conventional projection systems, and less worry of sudden lamp failure during the show. You’re future-proofed with compatibility for the latest 4K standards, including High Frame Rates and HDR (High Dynamic Range) - so you’ll get the very best out of today’s content, and tomorrow’s.

With flexible installation due to its compact size, simple setup, fuss-free auto calibration and low-noise operation, the VPL-VW885ES / VPL-VW760ES 4K Home Cinema Projector puts you in control of the ultimate entertainment experience.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION SEE:

United States | Sony VPL-VW885ES

Europe | Sony VPL-VW760ES

Australasia | Sony VPL-VW760ES

CALIBRATION/OPTIMIZATION:

Best Out-the-Box Best Settings brought to you by @SoulOfUniverse
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gentlemen,

I have received and am now an official 885ES owner thanks to Craig Shumer at TheaterMax. Let the games begin. More updates to follow.

joerod's Avatar joerod 12:47 PM 12-12-2017
It’s an amazing projector!!! I will post a link to my Review here when it is complete!
Attached: 1CAD9561-3BED-4F1F-BC00-C329EDF7D782.jpg (93.9 KB) 43758A5B-468E-4867-9108-FFFA8D9867E2.jpg (204.7 KB) B4F9B80A-6A5D-46A1-8790-7629155D3DAC.jpg (222.3 KB)
jqmn's Avatar jqmn 01:00 PM 12-12-2017
Craig Shumer of TheaterMax was my dealer as well for this pj and other equipment in the past. Extremely customer driven; he has been in the AV industry quite a while.

Setting Brightness makes me take the unit up considerably from the "50" standard preset to something like 63 in the Reference Picture Mode. Although this sets the Brightness pattern correctly for both 709 and HDR it seems too high based on past experience. Am I way off here and what might be the cause? Thanks.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 01:12 PM 12-12-2017
I should received mine next week. Cant wait :-)

I am from Canada, I think nobody from Canada received there Sony yet.
RickAVManiac's Avatar RickAVManiac 01:17 PM 12-12-2017
Message to all: Please try to keep this thread for Sony 760/885 owners discussions only.

If you wish to compare with other projector brand there is a very good thread for that : SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar Steve Bruzonsky 01:46 PM 12-12-2017
[QUOTE=RickAVManiac;55307034]Message to all: Please try to keep this thread for Sony 760/885 owners discussions only.

If you wish to compare with other projector brand there is a very good thread for that : SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons[/QUOTE

So I won't tell you how much I luve that "other" Sony laser projector my VPL-VW5000ES! HA! Craig Shumer is a good friend of many years and has been my Theta Digital and some other stuff dealer for many years!!! Great guy and dealer! I wanted to go BIGGER than I was - nonw 14' wide 2:40 screen compared to 10.5" wide 2:35 screen with prior projector - hence the 5000's humongous lumens output!
otismojo's Avatar otismojo 01:58 PM 12-12-2017

It’s here!
otismojo's Avatar otismojo 02:03 PM 12-12-2017
It’s big too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
otismojo's Avatar otismojo 02:08 PM 12-12-2017

It’s double the width of my JVC!

roxiedog13's Avatar roxiedog13 02:10 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post
I should received mine next week. Cant wait :-)

I am from Canada, I think nobody from Canada received there Sony yet.

Not yet, next week I have been informed as well . Who will be the first in Canada I wonder ?
VGI's Avatar VGI 02:53 PM 12-12-2017
[quote=Steve Bruzonsky;55307214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post
Message to all: Please try to keep this thread for Sony 760/885 owners discussions only.

If you wish to compare with other projector brand there is a very good thread for that : SONY VW885ES / VW760ES : In Depth Review & Comparisons[/QUOTE

So I won't tell you how much I luve that "other" Sony laser projector my VPL-VW5000ES! HA! Craig Shumer is a good friend of many years and has been my Theta Digital and some other stuff dealer for many years!!! Great guy and dealer! I wanted to go BIGGER than I was - nonw 14' wide 2:40 screen compared to 10.5" wide 2:35 screen with prior projector - hence the 5000's humongous lumens output!
Steve,

You always go big or go home. Your room is incredible and after all these years it still continues to grow and get better as you are never done. I think the Sony 5000 and new Stewart screen you installed really stepped the room up for you to a new level. Seems like your enjoying it more than ever and we are glad that your still in love with Theta

Its funny, the ANTI Sony guys do these shoot outs and they have never seen a room like yours. If they did a shoot out in your room, they would be selling a lot of their equipment

Cheery Buddy and Happy and Healthy holidays !

Craig Shumer
Theatermax
VGI's Avatar VGI 02:55 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillionz View Post
Gentlemen,

As of about an hour ago, I have received and am now an official 885ES owner thanks to Craig Shumer at TheaterMax. Let the games begin. More details to follow.
D

Thank you so much for the kind words. I can't wait to see this up and running tonight. Post lots of pics and show the JVC guys who rules the roost.

Thanks
Craig Shumer
Theatermax
VGI's Avatar VGI 02:56 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
It’s an amazing projector!!! I will post a link to my Review here when it is complete!
Joe, I didn't even know you got a 885 ? I thought you had a 5000 ?

Wow I am so happy you stayed the Sony Path.

Unfortunately there are more nay sayers than ever because they still don't have 4K native projectors for under 35K and Sony has one at 8K.

Cant wait to see your posts Joe !!

Craig Shumer
Theatermax
otismojo's Avatar otismojo 02:58 PM 12-12-2017

Bottom detail. The mounts will be an issue for me. My old panamorph A lens setup needs a bigger frame to support it. I’m going to have to get a new chief mount and zoom until I decide what my A lens options are.

ISCO x1.25 or Panamorph paladin. My issue is I’m 15 feet projector to screen and the Paladin needs 16ft min to avoid the barrel distortion. Is there a min throw distance for the ISCO lens? 138” diagonal 2.35:1 screen.

VGI's Avatar VGI 03:09 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post

It’s here!
Otis where are you from ?

Are you setting it up tonight ?

Cant wait to see pics !!
joerod's Avatar joerod 06:22 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Joe, I didn't even know you got a 885 ? I thought you had a 5000 ?

Wow I am so happy you stayed the Sony Path.

Unfortunately there are more nay sayers than ever because they still don't have 4K native projectors for under 35K and Sony has one at 8K.

Cant wait to see your posts Joe !!

Craig Shumer
Theatermax
Thank you and yes I am Reviewing an 885. I will post my link when I am finished with it. I am having a blast with it and I am ignoring the negative Z1/jvc posters in the other thread. There’s room for all three laser projectors in the market.
jlanzy's Avatar jlanzy 06:54 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by otismojo View Post

Bottom detail. The mounts will be an issue for me. My old panamorph A lens setup needs a bigger frame to support it. I’m going to have to get a new chief mount and zoom until I decide what my A lens options are.

ISCO x1.25 or Panamorph paladin. My issue is I’m 15 feet projector to screen and the Paladin needs 16ft min to avoid the barrel distortion. Is there a min throw distance for the ISCO lens? 138” diagonal 2.35:1 screen.

Are you going to try your current older Panamorph to see if it is compatible ( focus/sharpness/color aberration/etc) with the vw885? If so would you please report your observations. I love what A lens do, but the cost of those top end lens really causes pause, especially when adding the cost of this projector.
GassiousPassius's Avatar GassiousPassius 07:40 PM 12-12-2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Which Chief mount will you be using? I'm hoping that my current Chief VCM is compatible. Would you mind providing measurements for mount screw distances?

Regards.
otismojo's Avatar otismojo 08:48 PM 12-12-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Are you going to try your current older Panamorph to see if it is compatible ( focus/sharpness/color aberration/etc) with the vw885? If so would you please report your observations. I love what A lens do, but the cost of those top end lens really causes pause, especially when adding the cost of this projector.

Yes I’m going to trial my Phoenix Panamorph A lens. After a short time spent zooming the picture even with HDR I had enough light at 80%. If there is no color loss or decreased sharpness I’m going to try and run it. I’d happily take a 20% bump in brightness.
SJHT's Avatar SJHT 11:07 PM 12-12-2017
Thank goodness for starting this thread! Tired of the compares. What initial settings are folks using? Mine is coming in the next week or so.... SJ
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar SoulOfUniverse 12:27 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Thank goodness for starting this thread! Tired of the compares. What initial settings are folks using? Mine is coming in the next week or so.... SJ

User or Film 1 mode,
laser 70 or 80,
RC ON 40
Gamma 2.4
hdr auto
dynamic contrast full
contrast enhancer medium or full
D65
Brightness 50-51
Contrast 99-max
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar SoulOfUniverse 01:53 AM 12-13-2017
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at [email protected] Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar SoulOfUniverse 01:56 AM 12-13-2017
Didn't know we should start a separate thread, I would start this when Arrow had his unit
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar SoulOfUniverse 02:04 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
Yeah its definitely is.
My son loves Cars cartoon in SDR, and upscaling Sony RC processing is mega.
Attached: IGX99OA.jpg (465.1 KB) WQOY0dl.jpg (601.0 KB)
jqmn's Avatar jqmn 04:00 AM 12-13-2017
Thanks for posting this. Have you checked the black level for UHD and 709 with that brightness setting? As I said above, with 50 I get only down to about 5% on UHD/HDR so I had to crank it to 62 or so and then it was good to 0.5% and 709 was set correctly as well. This is with Reference Picture Mode and laser on 80. Maybe the Lumagen is correcting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
User or Film 1 mode,
laser 70 or 80,
RC ON 40
Gamma 2.4
hdr auto
dynamic contrast full
contrast enhancer medium or full
D65
Brightness 50-51
Contrast 99-max

roxiedog13's Avatar roxiedog13 04:33 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
I just learned mine is not coming until next week as well, not happy about that. I wanted to have this installed and ready long before the X-mas break when family arrive . Will be happy enough to have this
for the holidays at all now, 3 months no projector is a long time .
Woof Woof's Avatar Woof Woof 04:39 AM 12-13-2017
They told me one week to arrive. Fingers crossed I get a Christmas miracle.
roxiedog13's Avatar roxiedog13 04:47 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfUniverse View Post
The owners of that unit and LumagenPro with 18Ghz output modules, can you please test, that your Lumagen recognizes sony as 18Ghz capable display unit? At the moment my Lumagen Pro accepts 18Ghz no problem, but cannot see that Sony is capable of 18Ghz, therefore output is always limited to YCbCr 4:2:0 8 bit at [email protected] Tried 3 cables and set Sony all HDMI Inputs to Enhanced, but no luck. Already reported 128 bytes of EDID from Sony to Lumagen support team so they investigating, but wanted if someone has those two units can check? Thank you.
You may want to post this in the VW5000 forum as that projector has the same xtreme processor as the VW885 and many owners there also have the Lumagen pro . Either way I'm sure Jim Peterson will get you through this soon enough
help to find the issues . I'm obviously interested in the outcome of your problems as I actually installed the same 18gbs cards in my Lumagen Pro a couple of weeks back and have the same projector on the way . For reference though, I
let a friend borrow my Lumagen with the new boards installed, tested with the JVC RS600 which has 18gbs HDMI . He used this without issue.
roxiedog13's Avatar roxiedog13 04:49 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
They told me one week to arrive. Fingers crossed I get a Christmas miracle.
What country ? I'm from Canada btw .
SoulOfUniverse's Avatar SoulOfUniverse 05:21 AM 12-13-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmn View Post
Thanks for posting this. Have you checked the black level for UHD and 709 with that brightness setting? As I said above, with 50 I get only down to about 5% on UHD/HDR so I had to crank it to 62 or so and then it was good to 0.5% and 709 was set correctly as well. This is with Reference Picture Mode and laser on 80. Maybe the Lumagen is correcting??
Correct, it purely depends on Contrast Enhancer setting, if you set it to off, blacks will be leveled up if you set brightness to 60, so I find with Contrast Enhancer set to full, Brightness 50
Then in Lumagen I do adjust black level to 0.50 to regain back details, you need to use Adjustable pattern.
First you set your brightness in Reference pattern, but remember changing Contrast Enhancer at Sony will directly impact on the black level adjusting.
Then when you are happy I do fine tune in Adjustable pattern via Lumagen setting black.
I don't use internal PJ tone mapping for HDR, therefore I don't have this problem, but I guess you'll need to use HDR10 test patterns for adjusting black, as no doubt settings will be different.
1 2 3 ... Last

Up
View Full Version