Forum Jump:
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I am new to the forum......

I need suggestions on how I mount a projector to an already finished/drywalled ceiling. Most of the mounts I have seen don't have a ceiling plate that is 16" on center for the lag screws. Are there any mounts with larger ceiling plates? Or is there a better way to mount a projector? Assuming that you need to connect to the floor joists for stability. Any suggestions would be helpful. THANKS.

Chris :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

I mounted my mount using threaded drywall anchors (the type that thread in and then you put the screw into their center). Each is rated to hold over 25lbs (and there are 3 of them) ... the AE900 I have is around 8lbs ... seems to be quite stable.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
I mounted my mount using threaded drywall anchors (the type that thread in and then you put the screw into their center). Each is rated to hold over 25lbs (and there are 3 of them) ... the AE900 I have is around 8lbs ... seems to be quite stable.

So you are saying that you are not really tapping into the floor joists at all? You are just using drywall anchors. Basically your projector is hanging from the drywall itself? I am nervous about that......

Maybe I need to attach boards to the floor joists (unfortunately on the finished side) and then mount the ceiling plate of the projector mount to the boards. The only problem is that will lower the projector some and I wanted a low profile mount.

Thanks for the suggestion - are there any others?

Chris

Old 11-22-2005, 07:44 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDavis
You are just using drywall anchors. Basically your projector is hanging from the drywall itself?
Drywall anchors are a bit dicy but 'toggle bolts' are just fine!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Old 11-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
I used 4 toggle bolts on my DIY ceiling mount to tap directly into the drywall ceiling. My projector and mount stayed securely affixed to the ceiling for over 2 years. I sold the house in September, but I assume the projector is still in the theater where I left it!

Just one of those bolts could hold up 2 of the projectors and mounts all on it's own/ Hell. I used the same toggle bolts (2 of them) to hang a 50lb picture on my wall that stayed there for 4 years! Then we took the pictures down as we sold the house!

You'll be fine with the toggle bolts. Just make sure that they actually butterfly open. I had to get longer bolts to use with mine as the supplied bolts were too short. I'll be using the same system when I get my new projector (AE900 or HS60/61).

HTH. Cheers!

Simon
An aussie/us/ and brit citizen now living back in Oz - lived in MI for 6 years.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
mvv

I attached a 24" bit of 1x4 between the joists and screwed the mount to that. Bonus is that I've minimized the number and size of holes in my textured plaster ceiling and I can (I have) move the mount around on the board as required. Worked nicely and easy to patch-up if I can swing a dedicated room! ;)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 917
There are any number of ways to accomplish you goal.

1. Easiest: If joists are running parallel to screen or you have a projector with vertical lens shift, you just find where a celing joist is, then lag two bolts into the ceiling joist. It will hold about 250 pounds with no problem - so your 10-15 pound projector is not an issue.

2. Tougher: Get a piece of plywood that is wider than your studs, paint it the ceiling color, lag that to the joists above, lag the projector into the piece of plywood.

3. Toughest: Cut out a piece of drywall in the area where you want the projector to go. Put in extra bracing, then put in a piece of plywood. Spackle, sand, and paint to match. Now you have one section of ceiling that allows you to put your projector wherever you want. Plus, while up there, run all your wires, and have a hole in the ceiling that goes down the mount so everything is hidden.

ANY of those options are perfectly fine. I am currently using option 1, but have a piece of plywood ready to go with option 3.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 AM

Liked: 15
I mounted my Z3 by running a short length of pipe through a hole in the drywall into the attic. The Z3 mount that I bought allows the use of a pipe to drop the projector away from the ceiling.

Up in the attic, the pipe runs through a board and then a flange is threaded onto the pipe and the flange is screwed onto the backside of the board. The board is then screwed onto the tops of the nearby beams. This makes for a mount that I can hang my own weight on and also provides a very clean installation. My cables are run down thru the pipe.

In my case I had a 10' ceiling so I used about 2' of pipe, but it could have been done such that the pipe is barely visible in the room. I dropped my Z3 down to about 8' so that I could avoid shifting the lens vertically.

A pic of my installation is in this thread: My First HT Pics

-rothwell
Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
mvv

Nice work rothwell. That looks really nice!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just finished installing my ceiling mount to my drywalled ceiling using 4 toggle bolts and I'm very happy with the results. Now I need to figure out how to run the cables up there. I don't want to bother going above the ceiling, so I'm trying to find some kind of cable raceway that will accomodate the power, hdmi, and at least one component cable, and is able to be secured to the ceiling. The distance is about 5". I've been googling around, but haven't really come across anything. It would be great if someone could point me to a good product, or a better alternative.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Oh! Oh! It's my turn, now!

Yeah, so I took a piece of 1x6 poplar and attached it to the studs and hung the mount from that.

Wow. I'm glad I got that of my chest. You really don't notice the board. I spray textured it and everything.

When it comes to home theater and all the attributes of this projector or that projector some people have chosen to take the blue pill.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capek
I just finished installing my ceiling mount to my drywalled ceiling using 4 toggle bolts and I'm very happy with the results. Now I need to figure out how to run the cables up there. I don't want to bother going above the ceiling, so I'm trying to find some kind of cable raceway that will accomodate the power, hdmi, and at least one component cable, and is able to be secured to the ceiling. The distance is about 5". I've been googling around, but haven't really come across anything. It would be great if someone could point me to a good product, or a better alternative.

Thanks.
If you have a table saw or a friend with one, just have him cut a 2" PVC drain pipe in half, it makes a great raceway and is easy to paint.

Just a thought :)
Old 12-29-2005, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry, I am new to the forum......

I need suggestions on how I mount a projector to an already finished/drywalled ceiling. Most of the mounts I have seen don't have a ceiling plate that is 16" on center for the lag screws. Are there any mounts with larger ceiling plates? Or is there a better way to mount a projector? Assuming that you need to connect to the floor joists for stability. Any suggestions would be helpful. THANKS.

Chris :)
If rear shelf mounting is a possibility for you, it can be way easier than a ceiling mount.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder
Oh! Oh! It's my turn, now!

Yeah, so I took a piece of 1x6 poplar and attached it to the studs and hung the mount from that.

Wow. I'm glad I got that of my chest. You really don't notice the board. I spray textured it and everything.
1 x 4 oak in my case - same basic approach (but with less enthusiasm :) ).
Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
If you have a table saw or a friend with one, just have him cut a 2" PVC drain pipe in half, it makes a great raceway and is easy to paint.

Just a thought
That is the bomb! As my daughter would say. Great suggestion. :cool:
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu
Drywall anchors are a bit dicy but 'toggle bolts' are just fine!
I like toggles, but I don't like how big of a hole you have to make to fit the wings through. I actually prefer "molly bolts" since they have about the same holding power and requires a smaller hole. By the way, even the plain old plastic anchors are fine if you must. I've had 80lbs hanging from just one of them as a test (5/8" drywall, don't try if you have 3/8").

Bobby

Bobby
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that you are not really tapping into the floor joists at all? You are just using drywall anchors. Basically your projector is hanging from the drywall itself? I am nervous about that......
Chris

I would be nervous as well... point to remember that the failure will not occur wit the toggle bolts or anchors but the dry wall itself.

If you're only using drywall with any type of anchor I would make sure the drywall itself is in good condition, and was installed properly and never got wet. I think I have heard stuff coming down because the integrity of the drywall was comprimised.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51wpg
I think I have heard stuff coming down because the integrity of the drywall was comprimised.
So that was you with the wicker chair mounted above your bed in Lindenwoods!! ;)

I wouldn't worry about a seven pound projector mounted with three toggle bolts!!

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

Old 01-10-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu
So that was you with the wicker chair mounted above your bed in Lindenwoods!! ;)

I wouldn't worry about a seven pound projector mounted with three toggle bolts!!

LINDENWOODS?!?!?! Bite your tougue..you couldn't pay me enough to live in LindenWoods!!! :D :D

was in WhyteRidge....but have since made the move out to Calgary.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51wpg
was in WhyteRidge
Ahhh ... SW Lindenwoods. Figures.
Quote:
have since made the move out to Calgary.
Wimp. :P

" - MLK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement