Forum Jump:
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 60" Sony Grand Wega II is shutting down, blinking the standby light approx 30 times, and powering back on. Then it repeats. This behavior was occuring once or twice per night a few days ago, but now it is continuous. The set only stays on for a minute or less.

A search of the 'net found several instances of this same behavior, and some reported a cure by replacing the lamp. Others got responses that it was an electric issue with a "ballast" or a "lamp board"

I suppose I should buy a replacement bulb and just try it, but that's an expensive gamble - although cheaper than any repair. I'd like to know if this is a common pre-failure mode for the bulb.

If it would just burn out then at least I'd know!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
QZ1
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit View Post

My 60" Sony Grand Wega II is shutting down, blinking the standby light approx 30 times, and powering back on. Then it repeats. This behavior was occuring once or twice per night a few days ago, but now it is continuous. The set only stays on for a minute or less.

This may seem obvious, but did you pay attention to the front panel and see if the 'Lamp' light is ever illuminated?
If so, it would mean the lamp needs replacing.

It probably is the lamp, as I have heard this scenario mentioned several times.
But, as you said, it could be the ballast or even both.
Maybe someone more knowlegdeable about TV lamps will chime in.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response - during this cycling the lamp light never illuminates, however...

after letting the sequence run for more than an hour, I turned the set off. On shut down the lamp light did blink a couple of dozen times. That's the only time I've seen it.

Anyway, a new lamp is paid for and will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that is it. My skepticism is because the lamp is not actually dead.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit View Post

thanks for the response - during this cycling the lamp light never illuminates, however...

after letting the sequence run for more than an hour, I turned the set off. On shut down the lamp light did blink a couple of dozen times. That's the only time I've seen it.

Anyway, a new lamp is paid for and will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully that is it. My skepticism is because the lamp is not actually dead.

Hey whit, can we get an update on the situation?

I'm having a similar issue with my Sony Grand Wega KF-42WE610.
The TV was purchased when it first came out 4 years ago.
It has been used probably 4 to 6 hours per day since then.
I have yet to replace the lamp. Now I got major issues.

When I turn on the unit, the power/standby light flashes green for about 30 seconds.
During this time, there is no sound and no picture.
Suddenly the picture and sound will come on, but only for 1 or 2 seconds.
It repeats this sequence one more time. After the picture goes out the second time, it doesn't come back.
Now the power/standby light flashes red for a minute or two. Finally the unit turns off and stays red.

If it is a bulb/lamp issue, are you supposed to hear sound?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 AM

The bulb in my KF-50WE610 died about 2 years ago (6100 hours). The green light flashed about 45 times, and then the red lamp light flashed a few times. The person at the repair center said yep, that's the bulb and sent me a new one.

I replaced the bulb, and it has been problem free until this week. On two occcasions when I turned the set on, the green light just kept flashing for as long as I let it. In both cases, I had to unplug the set (it's the big rectangular plug) and plug it back in to get it to work. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior? Is this a harbinger of things to come?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM

I am really ticked of at Sony.
After purchasing the replacement lamp for $299 CDN plus 14% taxes (damn you Sony Canada -- dont you know the exchange rate is $0.98 now!), I went home and followed the instructions to a T.
So when I pulled out the old lamp, a small triangle-shaped piece of plastic broke around the perimeter of where the lamp goes in. What the hell!
After I get over the grief of it, I go to put in the new lamp. I can feel there's a bit of resistance, so I pull it out and check to make sure that I'm lining up the two plugs.
Anyway, I try to plug it in again and this time I hear this crack!
Pull the lamp out and see what's going on. Turns out the female connectors are no longer there! They'd been pushed out of place and towards the back.
Bloody hell, now I can't put the lamp in because there's nothing holding the female connectors in place.

What do I do now? Is it salvageable?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well the new lamp arrived today (xl-2000u) and it seems to have fixed the problem.

The set has been working fine for several hours.

I think this is good news for others who experience this repetitive stand-by behavoir. Just because the lamp is not actually burned out, and even if you don't get a "lamp light" indication, don't assume it's okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement