Forum Jump:
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello everyone, I put a post up on the new member thread also, but this is my first actual post.  I work as a technician and have for 20 years, repairing some fairly complex beverage, cooking, and HVAC equipment.  I now own my own business and work for myself doing the same.

For a short while when I got my start repairing equipment, I repaired jukeboxes and arcade games.  I am familiar replacing power supply's, coils, capacaitors, CRT monitiors.

What brings me to this forum though, is I have an opportunity to pick up a 82 inch Mitsubishi TV from a client of mine for absolutely nothing, but the catch is it turns on, but makes no picture.  There is sound however.  She tells me she thinks it needs a bulb. 

My question is, could this be true, or could it be something more complex out of my realm of repair?  I mean I am getting it free so I have no loss if I cant fix it.

The reason I am even willing to accept this challenge is that first off I always wanted a big floor model projection TV, they just seem bigger than the new flat screens.  And second I once had a new 55 inch projection TV that I called Sears to fix, they couldn't fix it, but left all the parts behind, I put them in it, and it works to this day.

Thanks for any help/adivice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 11:54 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 215
If the model number is something like Mitsubishi WD-82742 (or 842) then it is a DLP, illuminated by a single high intensity bulb. It may indeed be something as simply as replacing the bulb. It could be something else, of course, which one could find out by troubleshooting, but a completely dead bulb could result in no picture.

Most often things don't progress to a completely dead bulb, as an increasingly dim bulb will usually provoke the owner to replace it. Do you feel comfortable in asking your benefactor if the picture grew very dim before doing out altogether?

THe 82 inch Mits DLP is a pretty good TV.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a photo of it, not certain what type it is, im guessing its the kind with 3 colorguns, older type!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda11270 View Post

Here is a photo of it, not certain what type it is, im guessing its the kind with 3 colorguns, older type!

You should post your inquiry and photo in the "Don't Dump Your CRT" thread---look down this same page. Mr.Bob is the expert for these. You are correct, it's a CRT with 3 guns. Good luck!

Ed
|Tch0rT| likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What size is it? You said 80" than you said 82" as far as I know they didn't make anything larger than 65" in CRT.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 133
They made a 73" CRT. Mr Bob has one. Find the model number and ask in the thread old corps suggested and I bet you'll get much more help.
old corps likes this.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

They made a 73" CRT. Mr Bob has one. Find the model number and ask in the thread old corps suggested and I bet you'll get much more help.

+1

I had a 65" which is still performing great for my son's family but there was a larger size which I do believe was 73"

Ed
Old 01-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Now that the OP has posted pictures showing equipment on top of his set, one can see it is not the 82 inch Mits DLP, which has no depth on the top to support anything.
So it must be a CRT RPTV. The OP should take a look at the rear of the set to find the model number.

By the way, Mits made another 82 inch RPTV besides the 82 inch DLP model I mentioned previously. They also made the WL-82913 which was a LCOS RPTV.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I got the TV tonight, the guy even helped bring it to my house since it didnt fit in my truck in one piece, the top separates from the base, took two trips.

I plugged it in and it works like a champ, im guessing it has the same problem as the TV im replacing, the coax input doesnt work so I use the RCA cables.  

Im guessing it has no picture issues at all, just a tuner problem that is not a biggie since I use a cable box thru the DVD

.  Its on the right in the photo, obviously.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Lucky you!

Did you check the back to see what the model number is?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

The model number is WS73905, I spent a few hours today removing the lenses and cleaning moth's and dust out of the color gun assy's. Cleaning the screen and mirror.  It has a date on it of 1999, the picture is really good for as old of a TV as it is.  Its nothing compared to a few late model flat panels I have seen, but its size is really impressive.  My old projection 56 inch projection TV was my favorite over my other three flat panel TV's in my house (55, 45, and 42 inch sized) these big projection TVs I think make a heck of a presentation and I remember when they were new and cost a fortune.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM

So the mystery is solved. You have a 73 inch Mitsubishi CRT RPTV. You should really post on the Don't Dump Your CRT TV, as that is the thread for your TV>. Be aware that cleaning the optics and mirror need to be done properly to avoid scratching. Potentially such a TV can look as good as a flat panel if not better.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Its got a great picture after cleaning all the lenses, its the kind that has openings and dust gets under the focus assy's. I pulled it all apart and cleaned several locations. A few games I repaired in the late eighties were projection/laser disc machines, this tv is real similar to them internally. If it had a board issue I might need more assistance, but it seems fine at this point. I'm guessing the previous owner had cable issues, not tv issues. I had it on most of the day yesterday, works like a champ.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Here is a copy of your owner's manual, in case you don't have it.

http://manualslib.com/manual/104576/Mitsubishi-Vs-50805.html#product-WS-73905

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLAGMCRUISER View Post

Here is a copy of your owner's manual, in case you don't have it.
http://manualslib.com/manual/104576/Mitsubishi-Vs-50805.html#product-WS-73905

And the original remote http://electronicadventure.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=290P098020&Category_Code=

Jeeze, we're taking good care of him!wink.gif

Ed
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, this is a great forum, I have a feeling even if I had serious problems with this TV, someone on here could walk me thru repairing it properly.  Im gonna order than remote also.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
$29.95 is a steal for that remote. Retail from Mit is bound to be much higher, probably over $100. And yes you need the official OEM remote to properly operate these things, esp. if you are going to get it calibrated.

The 73905 was the last year there were dedicated color isolation registers in the sm, and also the last year there were color decoding registers in the sm. Making this model one of the finest ever made, among other things capable of realigning out the red push they all come with from Mit, into silky smooth, clean, realistic and fully lifelike - fully REAL - color rendition. I fully calibrated one 2 years ago and the attorney owner fell in love with it.

That was where I lost the glass front surface mirror I was saving for myself, as he was willing to pay the premium price I charged for it. So I installed it as part of the shimming op I also did to the set, and the rest is history. I am still looking for a replacement glass front surface mirror for my own beast! The company I got that one from in Santa Rosa disappeared. If anyone out there knows of where I can get the trapezoidally shaped glass front surface mirror that will fit it for any kind of reasonable price, please contact me so I can finally have one in my set. It increases the light output by 25% over the standard issue mylar mirror for the Mit 73", which is also uncleanable. The mylar one gets dusty and cannot be cleaned without also being scratched.

Speaking of scratched, I will repeat what I have been saying all over the internet for years, and especially on the online-shashki: be very careful with optics cleaning methods. Damage to the soft plastic lenses and the front surface mirror from the wrong practices and materials is instantaneous and permanent. Consult with me on the proper way to do it, please. I am not expensive, and you truly get a lot more than you pay for. Many on these online-shashki threads have hired me to be on the phone with them during critical ops, and nobody has ever looked back. One Pioneer guy had me on the phone for 2 hours and then wanted to go it alone after that, since he had the service manual on the set, and I wished him well. 2 days later he called me back, furious that I had not warned him off! He had messed up his convergence really bad, and had not made any record of his beginning values, so no bread crumbs trail back.

I have not seen an HD Mit that needed the deeper optics cleaning, myself. Mit is the only brand I can trust that seals the lenses to the CRT coolant covers properly, negating the need for that op and saving the usual owner - like the Pioneer Elite CRT owners - the extra $150 I charge to go in there and do that. Mit owners don't have to worry about it, unless the dust was left in there at the factory during assembly of the unit. I have seen where the coolant covers were left open to the air for long periods, possibly days, before the lenses were added and secured, enough time to leave a highly visible layer of dust on the face-up CRT coolant covers. And then assembled without being cleaned again or protected in the first place. DK if it was a Mit tho...

Congrats! If you want to fully optimize that set that you got for free, fly me in and let's get busy with all the money you saved! Those sets sold for $10,000 when new, chances are that's what the owner who gave it to you paid for it. Ask him.

I usually find 2 of the 3 the lenses are out of focus out of the box, sometimes all 3, and usually the electrostatic focusing needs attention too. The best grayscale setting of the 3 is always some shade of pink rather than the correct color of gray, the convergence will have drifted off measuably by now, and the geometry is usually way off from being exact. Not to mention the red push endemic to Mitsubishis and Sonys. Add to that the overscan they were all born with regardless of brand, and you might get an idea of what your set is really capable of.

If you want to see mine in action, go to page 259 of the Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV! thread and scroll down till you start to see pretty pictures at the end of the page. Those are photographs of what your set will look like after having my loving hands on it, shot personally by me with a Kodak on my fully dialed in WS 73517.

/t/695922/dont-dump-your-crt-rptv/7740

wink.gif

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 AM

Liked: 0
I don't know if this is going to the right area I need to be but I have a 1996 Mitsubishi 80 inch rear projection I'm having trouble finding parts done Googled every thing I think it's my mainboard/powerboard is fried is there some place I'm not looking I know it's old and it's gonna be hard to find the part if not impossible but I really love my tv can anyone help me just got fried yesterday please can someone point me in the right direction
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 AM

Liked: 0
I don't know if this is going to the right area I need to be but I have a 1996 Mitsubishi 80 inch rear projection I'm having trouble finding parts done Googled every thing I think it's my mainboard/powerboard is fried is there some place I'm not looking I know it's old and it's gonna be hard to find the part if not impossible but I really love my tv can anyone help me just got fried yesterday please can someone point me in the right direction my email is [email protected] Com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement