Forum Jump:
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting to get the infamous white dots on my screen (2 so far, dead center of the TV) as well as a few that are flickering black. I've read conflicting reports on what to look into replacing when this occurs. I've read it could be the DMD board, the DLP chip, or the light engine. Is there any way to determine which is the most likely culprit? I assume if I replace the light engine that would cover all the possible suspects? Also, I can't seem to locate any repair/service guides for the WD-65733. Is it difficult to replace the optical engine myself (maybe someone could point me to a guide)? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: As soon as I posted this I found a service manual, sorry about that. Question still stands on narrowing down the cause of the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM

where did you get the service manual... i could use it too... thanks...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Old 06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
AC5

When white and black dots appeared on my Mitsubishi WD-57733, I researched it and found that it was a failing light engine that caused the dots. About a month after that, the lamp quit. Found a light engine brand new on craigslist for $160 and ordered a new lamp for $90 from amazon; a friend and I installed the new light engine in a couple of hours. Result: no white or black dots and a picture that looks like brand new.

It's definitely the light engine.

Note that the light engine is housed in the center rear of the unit; when you remove it, the lamp housing bracket and upper and lower ducts get removed with it as one piece. Once you start unscrewing that assembly, make sure that the fans are seated properly in the 'duct work' before reassembling the unit.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM

what's the part number of the light engine? mine is pretty much dead.
im thinking of just replacing it instead of buying a new tv.

did you have to do any adjustments after installing the new light engine?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
Light Engine Part number for the 65733 is 938P075020. No adjustments should be necessary unless you had a professional calibration.

When you get the random white and/or black dots it is the actual DLP chip. On mine I replaced just the chip and worked fine. If the dots are all lined up it is the board on the light engine.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM

my screen looked like you were looking at it through a layer of fog... when you first turn it on, its fine... then after 5 minutes, its blurry...

i did take it apart to see if that little lens inside has residue.. it was clean. so i figured its the actual light engine that went bad..
Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuto View Post

Light Engine Part number for the 65733 is 938P075020. No adjustments should be necessary unless you had a professional calibration.

When you get the random white and/or black dots it is the actual DLP chip. On mine I replaced just the chip and worked fine. If the dots are all lined up it is the board on the light engine.

Do you happen to know the part number for the DLP chip? How hard is it to install?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
Part number is usually the same as the light engine. Easy to replace. Remove the light engine and then you should see the fan that covers the heatsink and chip. Remove cables, metal shield, and heatsink. Chip has a socket like a computer CPU. Mine from tvlampsforless.com came with instructions and pictures. If you have built a computer it should be simple.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:34 PM

I have the same problem as everyone else. TV is just over 3 years old and the white dots just started to appear. I have 2 dots now. I started my claim process with Mitz over a month ago. They did pay for a service provider to come and check things out and get an estimate. The service provider just faxed over the estimate for the faulty light engine. Mitz is supposed to get back to me shortly as to what they will do for me. It's been a great set, but now the light engine is starting to fail. I hope they come up with something.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 PM

i put the light engine back together and re installed it... i didnt do any cleaning to it. i just took it apart to inspect it...

the tv works fine now... no foggy images or anything. left it on for 3 hours, no problem... i havent turned it on since then... so far im just keeping my fingers crossed..
Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks, Bruticis & Kabuto, for the info and leads.
Mit. replaced my WD-65733 with a 38 when the 38 developed a "salt & pepper" screen, even though it was 3 mos. out of warranty when I first reported the peroblem and 8 mos. before they got a copy of the proof of sale. Now, I want to repair the 33 for re-sale. Local repairman said I only needed to replace the "video chip". Is that the same as the DLP chip in your posts?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:35 PM

It was the 33 that developed the "s&p" screen, not the 38. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement