35Likes
Old 12-15-2017, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 4665
Star Wars: The Last Jedi in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is far better than The Force Awakens, but the Dolby Vision HDR—if the movie was even graded for it—left a lot to be desired.

/star-wars-la...r-atmos-sound/
dan4081 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, online-shashki Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I saw it last night with a friend and we both agreed Rogue One was a better movie. Elements of RoJ that Lucas was ridiculed for return times two. Johnson set some new highs, but also returned to the same lows that Lucas gave us in Episodes 1, 2, and 3.

Furthermore, there are multiple sub plots that can be eliminated without changing the story. That's why the movie runs so long. Cut out 30 mins and then the movie becomes great. ESB is still the champeen.
Dave Vaughn, corkster and rvarneyy like this.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is far better than The Force Awakens, but the Dolby Vision HDR—if the movie was even graded for it—left a lot to be desired.

I've liked Rian Johnson's previous films, especially "Looper", but I get the feeling he isn't interested in pushing the technology of movies, unlike JJ Abrams or George Lucas (or others like Fincher). It could be he just wasn't focused on things like HDR.

I've seen other movies in a Dolby Cinema when, after the demo of "Yes, the Projector is Still On", it would then cut to the feature presentation and the black levels would jump. It has the opposite of the intended effect; I'm slightly disappointed just as the movie begins.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I thought it was just bad calibration of the projector, because I saw the same issue with blacks and contrast.

The movie has a lot of jokes and inside humor, almost too many. There were so many winks at the audience I kept getting tossed out of the movie's suspension of disbelief. I found the movie enjoyable and the little penguin things were adorable, however the marketing product shots were so heavy handed I found myself rolling my eyes. The final scene of the movie, I just wanted to do a voice over...."this Christmas you can be a Jedi to..." I don't regret seeing the movie and I teared up, but there was nothing technically outstanding about this movie. Plot wise, I didn't leave thinking I could have written a better script on a napkin.
Ulisescm likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Star Wars: The Last Jedi is far better than The Force Awakens, but the Dolby Vision HDR?if the movie was even graded for it?left a lot to be desired.

Nooooo, I am going to see this movie Dec 30th in a Dolby Cinema for the first time and was so excited.....now I am bummed.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2008 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
I ate too much popcorn. theater i watched in didnt have alot of bass...maybe 3 or 4 scenes where i felt it on my skin. i liked the finger snaps, that was cool. im glad i watched it in theater.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I think you guys might have been ripped off. At the Dolby Cinema I went to they showed a little Dolby Demo made *specifically* for the Last Jedi, it was definitely in HDR & looked good. They showed half the screen with SDR the last jedi & HDR on the right.

I would contact those AMC theaters and let them know that they aren't playing the right version of the film in that theater.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Our presentation was a little dark, mainly because of the appearance of the sky was always like a cloudy day. For instance, in the scene where they are attacking the portable canon, the trailer had that as a bright sunny day, while the film was overcast. I felt this from the beginning. Now this was a new cinema and the big room which is 35 seats wide (big recliners), so i thought maybe the projector model was under powered. If anyone can confirm that the film should have had a higher apl through out the film, I'm gonna reach out to the owner with some feedback.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 PM

One other observation... did anyone notice red highlights were crushed in some scenes? The worst case I saw might have been with Luke in an area where there was a red light source. All of the detail in his face was crushed out for a few moments.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
One other observation... did anyone notice red highlights were crushed in some scenes? The worst case I saw might have been with Luke in an area where there was a red light source. All of the detail in his face was crushed out for a few moments.
I didn't notice that, but I did see what looked like ringing/edge enhancement on one of the peaks on Luke's island in twilight shots.
Ulisescm likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I think you guys might have been ripped off. At the Dolby Cinema I went to they showed a little Dolby Demo made *specifically* for the Last Jedi, it was definitely in HDR & looked good. They showed half the screen with SDR the last jedi & HDR on the right.

I would contact those AMC theaters and let them know that they aren't playing the right version of the film in that theater.
Exactly what Dolby Cinema did you go to?

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Nooooo, I am going to see this movie Dec 30th in a Dolby Cinema for the first time and was so excited.....now I am bummed.
Well, maybe your Dolby Cinema will be like the one Aras_Volodka saw it in, and it will be much better than I saw. Here's hoping!

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Our presentation was a little dark, mainly because of the appearance of the sky was always like a cloudy day. For instance, in the scene where they are attacking the portable canon, the trailer had that as a bright sunny day, while the film was overcast. I felt this from the beginning. Now this was a new cinema and the big room which is 35 seats wide (big recliners), so i thought maybe the projector model was under powered. If anyone can confirm that the film should have had a higher apl through out the film, I'm gonna reach out to the owner with some feedback.
That sequence looked like it was supposed to be a bright sunny day to me.

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
That sequence looked like it was supposed to be a bright sunny day to me.
Thank you scott.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'm glad you weren't at the theater showing where the sound had completely cut out in the first minute or so! It's been on the news all day showing irate fans in the lobby lol but I'm not sure if that happened in the Imax or Dolby theater though.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/star-w...s-bad/2784786/

Last edited by euskadi71; 12-16-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Exactly what Dolby Cinema did you go to?
Oakbrook 12 in Illinois.

Did you guys see the Last Jedi's own Doblyvision demo right before the film?
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Saw at AMC Hampton VA Dolby. I think I was lost in the movie more to be noticing the visual details. When I saw Force Awakens in Dolby I had already seen the movie 3 times so I was looking closer at the details. I am seeing it again tonight in Dolby and will look at these details more. Overall though not perfect, I loved it. Like Scott said, I felt a little disappointed that Force Awakens played it so safe and gave us a predictable straight forward story. You may not like all the choices made in Last Jedi but it does give us an original story with some truly satisfying Star Wars moments.
DeadEd likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In NY area which movie theater is recommended

Sony VW285ES, Arcam850, Def Tech 9000 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Oppo203 Screen studioTak130 with 1.3 gain, and a nagging wife.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:

Yes, it was graded in Dolby Vision. All Disney tentpoles are. It's just that Dolby's list is unreliable. They must not have a very good webmaster. I've been asking them to fix it for weeks. Here's their temporary page showing TLJ has both Dolby Vision and Atmos (with pic attached for posterity).

https://dolby.com/us/en/movie-fi...MV007327610000

As for the black levels, I think it's intentional (although I don't know why). Alien: Covenant had the same milky shots of space at the beginning in Dolby Cinema as well.

Click image for larger version

Name: SWTLJ Dolby.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 68.5 KB
ID: 2331560
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
I'd go for the Dolby Cinema at AMC Empire 25 on 42nd Street. Be sure you get tickets for the Dolby Cinema screen at that location and not the "Digital" or "Real3D" or "IMAX 3D" screen. It's pretty clearly marked on the website.
Soccerdude and brahman12 like this.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 AM
DAB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Scott, Thank you for giving us a cutting edge-clean review. TOO many other reviewers who want to stay on the "personal interview trough". Review with a water down critique{criticizes-ism } then high praises, then a small critique then high-high praise- for a B+ movie{not SW here} - this go for Rotten Tomatoes too!
dB

Yes, and the only redeeming part of FA- is the last scene,
Scott Wilkinson likes this.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by euskadi71 View Post
I'm glad you weren't at the theater showing where the sound had completely cut out in the first minute or so! It's been on the news all day showing irate fans in the lobby lol but I'm not sure if that happened in the Imax or Dolby theater though.

http://abc7.com/entertainment/star-w...s-bad/2784786/
Actually, it was the Dolby Cinema in which I saw the movie the next day. I heard the soundtrack was silent for the first 10 minutes! There was so much unrest in the lobby, the police were called! The theater would not restart the movie because there was another screening at 1:20 AM. The screening I saw didn't have a problem like that.

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oakbrook 12 in Illinois.

Nope, that demo was not played before the movie at the AMC Burbank 16.

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I'd go for the Dolby Cinema at AMC Empire 25 on 42nd Street. Be sure you get tickets for the Dolby Cinema screen at that location and not the "Digital" or "Real3D" or "IMAX 3D" screen. It's pretty clearly marked on the website.
What meli said...
Soccerdude likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
Old 12-16-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Yes, it was graded in Dolby Vision. All Disney tentpoles are. It's just that Dolby's list is unreliable. They must not have a very good webmaster. I've been asking them to fix it for weeks. Here's their temporary page showing TLJ has both Dolby Vision and Atmos (with pic attached for posterity).

https://dolby.com/us/en/movie-fi...MV007327610000

As for the black levels, I think it's intentional (although I don't know why). Alien: Covenant had the same milky shots of space at the beginning in Dolby Cinema as well.

Attachment 2331560
Yes, I've been asking Dolby to fix their list of DV and DA movies for weeks as well. Dolby went through a major personnel shakeup a month or two ago, before which that list was maintained very well. Now, not so much...

Scott Wilkinson

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 12-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 771
So is TLJ created with DV in mind with theaters just being hit and miss on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Actually, it was the Dolby Cinema in which I saw the movie the next day. I heard the soundtrack was silent for the first 10 minutes! There was so much unrest in the lobby, the police were called! The theater would not restart the movie because there was another screening at 1:20 AM. The screening I saw didn't have a problem like that.
I wondered if the KEY for showing the movie prevented a stop and restart.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Oakbrook 12 in Illinois.

I saw it at AMC Promenade 16 in Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 380
I didn’t see it in a Dolby vision theatre but did see it in a Cinemark XD theatre which is usually very good. However I was very disappointed in the image quality. Not sure if it was the theatre or the film but resolution was lacking, black levels were poor, and overall seemed washed out. I was very surprised. I’ve seen many movies there including rogue one and never have felt picture quality was lacking.

LG OLED65C7P | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Sub SVS PC12-Plus x 2 (trade up to PC-4000 x 2 pending)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:15 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:

I'd like to thank you again Scott for including the sound levels in your reviews.

As someone who played in some too-loud bands, I can't afford to screw around with my hearing anymore and movie playback in many theaters has become punishing. As a life long BladeRunner fan it crushed me to miss it in the theaters, but the consensus seemed to be unanimous that it was an extremely loud mix/theater playback level especially in the low frequencies, so I avoided that one. Star Wars is obviously going to have a lot of dynamics, but sometimes I can be lucky and find a place where they haven't cranked it to "11." (Though there is supposed to be a set playback level, and that's why your reviews can be informative).
drummernrg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision , star wars the last jedi