82Likes
Old 06-03-2017, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
Alright, ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to report that the AMC Star Gratiot 21 in Michigan does have proper Dolby Vision HDR...
Thanks for the feedback! Going there for my first time Monday to see Wonder Woman. I got seats E9 and E10 for me and my wife. Are these the best in the house or do you think I should change?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for getting me super excited. I only found out about Dolby Cinema recently, and there's a theater less than 10 minutes from my house!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 03:09 PM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotShorty View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Going there for my first time Monday to see Wonder Woman. I got seats E9 and E10 for me and my wife. Are these the best in the house or do you think I should change?

Thanks to everyone in this thread for getting me super excited. I only found out about Dolby Cinema recently, and there's a theater less than 10 minutes from my house!

Usually Row D or E, 1 or 2 back from the Hanidcap row, is the sweet spot. You'll see when you get there by looking for where the surround/ATMOS speakers aim straight ahead.

Be prepared, you'll never want to go to a regular cinema ever again. It's that amazing of an experience.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've watched a non-Dolby Cinema movies since the one closest to me (45 mins away) opened. And 1 of those times was an experiment to compare GotG2. It was terrible and an eye opener.
NotShorty likes this.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Quote:

Usually Row D or E, 1 or 2 back from the Hanidcap row, is the sweet spot. You'll see when you get there by looking for where the surround/ATMOS speakers aim straight ahead.

Be prepared, you'll never want to go to a regular cinema ever again. It's that amazing of an experience.

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've watched a non-Dolby Cinema movies since the one closest to me (45 mins away) opened. And 1 of those times was an experiment to compare GotG2. It was terrible and an eye opener.
Depends on the auditorium, too. My normal test is to sit up close as far as I can, but not to close as to where my eyes have to move around constantly to follow all the action on screen. At the same time, you don't want to sit too far back and have too much of the side walls in veiw. You want your eyes to be comfortably emersed.

In my Dolby Cinema auditorium I prefer row F. I also find the seating chart to be off as far as sitting dead center in a row. Moving left two seats over seams to be about right. Ymmv!
NotShorty likes this.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys! If the theater is empty I'll probably try out several seats (and drive my wife crazy). Can't wait!

Old 06-03-2017, 10:53 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Do ALL Dolby Cinema theaters have bass transducers in seats? I live in greater Seattle area whereby I go to the Woodinville AMC theater.
I've been to same theater to see Alien Covenant. I thought the transducers in seats very subtle, too subtle IMO. I have transducers in my couch at home and have amp driving them higher output than in that theater (yet crossover set low so only goes off when appropriate) and much more effective.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:59 AM

Hey, I'm sorry to be a pest but I have one more question that hopefully you guys can help with. My wife is 31 weeks pregnant and a review at the local Dolby Cinema claims the volume was so loud it made his wife cry, and they both left after getting their money refunded.

This sounds awesome and just makes me want to go more, but I'd rather not terrorize or permanently damage my unborn child.

Was it louder than a typical movie theater? Like over 115 dB for sustained periods loud? Anyone take a pregnant woman to one and their baby turned out ok?

Thanks again, and I will attempt to not clutter this thread with topics that interest no one but myself.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Hey, I'm sorry to be a pest but I have one more question that hopefully you guys can help with. My wife is 31 weeks pregnant and a review at the local Dolby Cinema claims the volume was so loud it made his wife cry, and they both left after getting their money refunded.

This sounds awesome and just makes me want to go more, but I'd rather not terrorize or permanently damage my unborn child.

Was it louder than a typical movie theater? Like over 115 dB for sustained periods loud? Anyone take a pregnant woman to one and their baby turned out ok?

Thanks again, and I will attempt to not clutter this thread with topics that interest no one but myself.

I've not been to a Dolby Cinema but I have been to an Atmos theater. I can say that, when the action is high, Atmos blasts pretty loud! Louder than a regular theater, yes I think so. That said, your baby is pretty well cushioned inside his mama. If you are that paranoid about it though simply wait for the birth to occur. It's only about 7 weeks anyway. I'd be more concerned about your wife and her comfort sitting in a seat for a couple of hours and her need to use the rest room, maybe often. My best suggestion, wait it out or go alone.
NotShorty likes this.

Bobby 

Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I just got back from seeing Wonder Woman, and the presentation was outstanding. The convergence was almost perfect, and light from all other sources was VERY low. No red lights at all, not even on the floor. Even the exit signs were nice and dim. The result was VERY deep black levels, maybe the best I've ever seen in a movie theater, probably exceeded only by my old CRT projector (I had the gamma and brightness adjusted on that to the point where your couldn't see your hand in front of your face in a blackout scene).

The wonderful icing on the cake at THIS showing was that I saw it at a DC that's all of four measly minutes from where I live! Definitely now my go to place for premium movie showings.
skoolpsyk likes this.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^Which DC location is this?
Old 06-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
^Which DC location is this?
AMC Tyler 16.
Ximori likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen a movie at Arapahoe Crossing 16 in Denver (Aurora) ? I saw Wonder Woman last night and the visual presentation was rather grainy. The audio is hands-down the absolute best I have ever heard, though. The other Dolby Cinema nearby in Broomfield has a far superior display while Arapahoe trumps them in the audio department.

Decisions...Decisions..
Old 06-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Dolby Cinema at AMC Neshaminy/Philly and 34th St/NYC

Good news for those in the Philly area - Dolby Cinema has opened at the AMC Neshaminy! I just noticed this today but apparently they opened a couple weeks ago with Baywatch. They're currently showing Wonder Woman and will move to the new Transformers movie (2D version) tonight. Theatre 24 is the converted room, it seems the screen size remains 60 feet wide with scope dimensions while the seating capacity dropped from 500+ to 250 seats. It's nice to have another option in the Northeast corridor, the first in Philadelphia, for that matter, the first in the state of PA. I usually go to the Dolby Cinema location at Empire 25 in NYC but looks like they booked the 3D version of Transformers, which I am not a fan of, so I'll make my way to Neshaminy to check out the new room.

It also looks like NYC might be getting a second Dolby Cinema room soon; the AMC Dolby Cinema website lists the 34th Street location as one of its "Participating Theatres" but the theatre-specific page doesn't include any showing for Dolby Cinema yet. Not quite sure what the "Participating Theatres" category is but I think it means newly opened or soon to open Dolby Cinema locations. Both Philly and NYC are sorely underserved so it's nice to see some new Dolby Cinemas options.

Last edited by peterlee; 06-20-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraVaal View Post
Alright, ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to report that the AMC Star Gratiot 21 in Michigan does have proper Dolby Vision HDR.

I went and saw 'Alien: Covenant' there tonight. And if I weren't so incredibly tired from the lengthy drive home, I would be typing up paragraph upon paragraph as to how amazing Dolby Cinema is.

This is, without a doubt, my personal favorite piece of consumer technology to come along in the last decade. We already knew Dolby delivered great audio. That's what they were built on. But Dolby Vision... my God. What a legitimate piece of revolutionary picture technology to come along for this medium. This is the future. This was like experiencing a film for the first time all over again. This was easily my all-time favorite theatrical experience as an adult. There are so many images from that film, thanks to Dolby, that will forever be embedded into my subconscious.

And the audio, holy hell... absolutely MONSTROUS!
Thanks for this.
Playing catch up on this thread and was curious your outcome as this is my closest Dolby Cinema Theater. I went to it to see Guardians 2 there and felt the Picture was amazing, so if they did not have HDR yet then could only hope for what it was like once they do. And of course sound is amazing. My only thought is i do what what a brand new built Dolby Cinema would be like, since that appears to be a renovated auditorium, i felt screen was small. It's a long/low/narrow style Best screen close to me is similar to a Digital IMAX and would say screen/auditorium has to be 2-3 times the size of the Dolby Cinema. The Dolby picture and sound make it way better of course but couldn't help want for bigger screen. Also being first time going was not sure of seats and once there realized needed to choose several rows closer as had to much side wall.

I'm waiting for the Livonia location to open to see what that is like.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Any word on when the Livonia location is going to open? Seems like that's been in development for a while now.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone is in the Denver metro area, head straight to the Highlands Ranch location. The Dolby Cinema theater there is by far the best out of the 3 available.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejitsu View Post
If anyone is in the Denver metro area, head straight to the Highlands Ranch location. The Dolby Cinema theater there is by far the best out of the 3 available.
Same question for the conversion going on at the Southcenter AMC Tukwila, WA...
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Transformers at AMC Neshaminy's Dolby Cinema

Where to start? First of all the seats are ****ing amazing. Super comfortable and have good reclining functions. Each seat is basically a love seat that seats two people with a movable divider in the middle. Perfect for bringing your girlfriend.

The surround speakers are the first thing I noticed when I entered the room. Looks like they are 8" drivers...and a lot of them per speaker. The red lights never lit up like in the pictures I've seen though. Once the lights were dimmed the theater was very dark allowing for great contrast levels. Dolby Vision was noticeable and I was impressed overall with the colors. Dolby Atmos was okay but not perfect.

Dolby Atmos was not the only thing not perfect and since I paid the premium I'm going to now complain. The image was not super 4k sharp due to the projectors being out of alignment. A convergance issue it seems which was very noticeable when looking at the cut off lines (since Transformers is an IMAX movie the largest frame is around 16:9 on a much wider screen with the "wider shots" of the film being squeezed into a quad letter box .) Each room is supposed to have only 4 subs. However each seat is equipped with transducers (Bass shakers) which were turned up plenty. If I laid my head back my brain would vibrate and almost make my vision blurry. It was my first experience with bass shakers so overall it was pretty cool. However it made the bass always feel the same which got old by the end of the movie. And since it's a Transformers movie....it's already getting old fast!

Volume Levels: I'd say it was played back at reference with peaks around 105 dB and possibly louder since I was between the front row and middle row. Hard to tell how loud the subs went. Should have brought my SPL meter. It didn't sound too much better than listening to reference in my untreated home theater. Either way my ears hurt afterwards and I'm actually used to watching movies loud. I may be completely wrong (and I hope since these theaters are supposed to be built well) but I don't think the reflections were taken care of very well. The highs were harsh and so were voices when they were screaming. There was also this echo from the voices. Now either this was intentional and done using the Atmos speakers or the room had an echo. Either way I thought it to be distracting and voices didn't sound super clear as if they were right in front of me.

Overall, even with the downfalls, I enjoyed it better than my normal ventures to my regal theater. I would probably go again anyways.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyone else been to the Newpark AMC 12 in Newark, CA (SF Bay Area)?

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
Samsung 65KS800D - Denon AVR X4200W - Oppo UDP-203 - PS4 Pro - Apple TV 4K - Aperion Intimus 6T - Aperion Intimus 6C - Aperion Intimus 4BP - SVS PC-13 Ultra
Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber008 View Post
Where to start? First of all the seats are ****ing amazing. Super comfortable and have good reclining functions. Each seat is basically a love seat that seats two people with a movable divider in the middle.
Thanks for your impressions. Sounds like the seats are the same as the ones they have in the New York Empire 25. Did you speak to the theatre afterwards about the convergence problem? I've found they're pretty responsive to complaints - I've always gotten an followup email and occasionally a phone call from the theatre. I'm planning to go this weekend so it'd be nice if the convergence problem were fixed by then!

I knew most of the movie was shot with IMAX cameras but I hadn't realized the aspect ratio was constantly shifting throughout. I had assumed the 2D version had a fixed aspect ratio. I'd consider going to the IMAX version but they're all in 3D, which I dislike, plus, I'm not a huge fan of these movies and don't want to pay the premium.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
Did you speak to the theatre afterwards about the convergence problem? I've found they're pretty responsive to complaints
No, I did not. I'm used to the Regal theaters ignoring complaints and so I just never bother. But then again when I saw The Revenant in CA at an AMC theater the audio was out of sync so I stepped out and told management and I assume they fixed it because the issue went away. Maybe I'll give AMC Neshaminy a call to talk about my issues.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, I did not. I'm used to the Regal theaters ignoring complaints and so I just never bother. But then again when I saw The Revenant in CA at an AMC theater the audio was out of sync so I stepped out and told management and I assume they fixed it because the issue went away. Maybe I'll give AMC Neshaminy a call to talk about my issues.
Hmm, I saw Transformers in the Dolby Cinema room today and didn't notice a convergence problem with the picture or the audio echo you described. It's entirely possible I didn't know what to look for or maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these things. I thought it is a very impressive setup, on par with the Empire 25 in NYC and better than the Century City 15 in LA which are the two other Dolby Cinemas that I'm familiar with. This is the first Dolby Cinema I've been in where some of the rows are curved - I don't know if that was the arrangement before the conversion. It's a hike to make it out to Neshaminy for me but I'll be back. I noticed some Dolby Cinemas are splitting the bill and booking both Baby Driver and Despicable Me 3 next weekend, will be interesting to see if Neshaminy does the same.

Last edited by peterlee; 06-24-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipervick View Post
Anyone else been to the Newpark AMC 12 in Newark, CA (SF Bay Area)?
I've been going to that cinema since the Dolby Cinema theater opened. I've posted multiple observations in this thread and individual movies in the past. Anything I can specifically address?

P.S. AMC Mercado 20, and AMC Eastridge are supposedly getting a Dolby Cinema screen shortly. All three of these theaters are roughly equidistant to me, so the more the merrier!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 554
First Dolby Cinema in the Middle East has opened here in Dubai. Another one will be opening at The Dubai Mall (through the same theater chain i.e. Reel Cinemas) but this one is at the Dubai Marina Mall. I am assuming The Dubai Mall one will be much larger as it is a much bigger mall with many more screens.

Video: http://reelcinemas.ae/en/experiences/

Looks like they are using a Meyer Sound sound setup based on the speakers I saw in the video! It should be a treat. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
I went to their website and sent feedback about a slight convergence issue on one side of the screen during Alien Covenant, and the next time I went for Wonder Woman it looked a lot better, and they sent me 4 free passes to any movie (2 were used for WW).

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 441
AMC Commons 20 in Independence, MO is going to be doing renovations and will be getting a Dolby Cinema Theater.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know which one of these in the Houston,TX area has the best viewing experience:

AMC Deerbrook 24
AMC First Colony 24
AMC Gulf Pointe 30
AMC Katy Mills 20
AMC Willowbrook 24

Thanks.

Also, has anyone visited the AMC Baton Rouge 16?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I had my second Dolby Cinema experience at the AMC Star Gratiot 21 in Michigan--and yet again, had a phenomenal experience.

I saw 'Baby Driver' this time around. And, it's a film like this, with a 2K-DI, that made me realize how much more important and noticeable HDR is than higher resolution. Dolby Vision gave this film a visual 'pop' that I know I wouldn't have been able to appreciate in a standard cinema. The colors/shadow detail, was a bit more noticeable than any super bright highlights or anything. However, during the film's climax, which involves a police car in a dark parking garage, the 'emergency vehicle lights' really, really popped with both immense brightness and vibrant color.

The Atmos sound mixing really made for a hell of an audio experience. The way the gunfire synced with the soundtrack was really cool.

I'm hoping to see 'War for the Planet of the Apes' the weekend it opens there.
skoolpsyk likes this.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
I've been going to that cinema since the Dolby Cinema theater opened. I've posted multiple observations in this thread and individual movies in the past. Anything I can specifically address?

P.S. AMC Mercado 20, and AMC Eastridge are supposedly getting a Dolby Cinema screen shortly. All three of these theaters are roughly equidistant to me, so the more the merrier!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Thanks Raaj, I didn't see your reply. Sorry for the late response.

The only movie I've seen there so far is Logan. So I don't have much experience.

All of these South Bay theaters are still pretty far from me. AMC Newpark 12 is an hour and a half drive, without traffic. However, I am taking my kids to see Spider-Man: Homecoming this Sunday 7/9.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you think of movies here!

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
Samsung 65KS800D - Denon AVR X4200W - Oppo UDP-203 - PS4 Pro - Apple TV 4K - Aperion Intimus 6T - Aperion Intimus 6C - Aperion Intimus 4BP - SVS PC-13 Ultra
Old 07-05-2017, 10:13 PM

Anybody have any idea when the AMC Southcenter Tukwila WA will open their Dolby Cinema auditorium? It has shown like this on the Dolby site under "coming soon" for a LONG time:

Washington
AMC Southcenter 16
Old 07-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Has anyone been to the South Barrington, Illinois AMC 24 Dolby Cinema? Where is the sweet spot to sit?

How does it compare to the Vernon Hills Dolby Cinema? The seating charts online are different for the two.

What is the difference between theaters with 3 rows before the handicap row, and ones with 5? I thought the floor plans were all pretty standard for Dolby Cinemas.

I wish there were photos online for specific theaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dolby atoms , dolby cinema , dolby vision