Forum Jump:
Old 09-30-2002, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished watching "Under Suspicion" last night, with Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in discussing the ending. Obviously, this isn't good for people that haven't seen the movie yet... :)

I did some searches on the internet, and I found that many people were confused about the ending. Include me in that group!!! I guess it was intentional for the viewer to be a bit confused, and apparently you're supposed to figure things out on your own, or at least speculate about the various possibilities. I could imagine this could be an interesting discussion - but apparently not one that I have any content to add to... :)

Anyone want to talk about their take on the ending?

Mike

[email protected]
DavisTuner - tweak your Davis projector
My Davis Resource Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2002, 08:22 AM

Mike,

This really belongs in Forum Member Movie Reviews. If not, then there is no reason to have that forum. Moving there now from DVD and LD Software...

I thought the ending was clear:
Old 09-30-2002, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Cool - how did you do that thing with the spoiler? But hopefully with the title of this thread, we don't have to do that with every statement, do we? I'm just going to post in plaintext...

So I agree that it's clear that Hackman was innocent. But then why did he confess, to something he didn't do? Just before he confesses, he says something like "this is farsical". I almost got the impression that he thought his wife was trying to set him up.

OK, so maybe *this* is what he was thinking. He finds out that his wife is helping the authorities. Morgan Freeman said to her at one point "Don't you want to find out that you're right about him?" Which convinces her to let them search their house. So maybe Gene Hackman realizes what Chantelle thinks, and decides he'd just rather go to jail than spend any more time with her?

And then you have the final scene. They see each other, there's an awkward pause, and then she goes to him to hug him, I guess to say that she's sorry she doubted him - and he turns his back, saying that he doesn't forgive her.

Comments?

Mike

[email protected]
DavisTuner - tweak your Davis projector
My Davis Resource Page

Old 09-30-2002, 03:03 PM

You can place the spoilers by using the spoiler tag: [ spoiler ] spoiler stuff [ / spoiler ] (without the spaces). Then the spoiler would look like this:

I saw this movie a while ago and I don't remember too much. I think at some point Belluci began to wonder about her husband's guilt or innocence. But that was the whole movie. Did he, or didn't he? Unfortunately I don't have the DVD any more so I can't revisit it. I think this could have been a much better movie if it was shot and edited in a more dramatic way. Anyway, I don't think he thought his wife was setting him up, but they were both caught up in the accusations. Freeman just broke him down over the guilt he had over his other moral weaknessess, so he just confessed. I think at the end, both Bellucci and Hackman felt steamrolled by what they had gone through. Their relationship wouldn't be the same. It couldn't be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement