Forum Jump:
Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The box is huge for the panny 42" EDTV if I return to costco do they accept it without the box?

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 PM

No box is needed for returns to costco. Many of their TV's ordered online have white glove delivery where the box is removed during delivery. They even refund the shipping charge for online orders when you return to any costco store.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
wiscy -

thanks...this is good to know. i've been sitting on two TV boxes just in case i had to claim warranty/return to Costco in the first few years where i feel justified in returning should something malfunction.

i can save myself some space in my garage!

Old 11-10-2005, 07:46 AM

Ok, I gotta know. How in the world can Costco do this? No extended warranty needed, if something go wrong take it back. That seems very insane of them to allow that. Anyone have insight to this?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
i _think_ they are hoping people don't abuse it. i think if it ends up getting abused, they'll remove it or do something like they do for their computers which is 6 months.

my own personal thoughts/opinion/course of action : if it breaks after 3-4 years, i suck it up and don't return it. since that is well beyond a double warranty period.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjar
Ok, I gotta know. How in the world can Costco do this? No extended warranty needed, if something go wrong take it back. That seems very insane of them to allow that. Anyone have insight to this?
Costco is getting $45-90 a year from EVERY family that shops there. That "fee" is pure profit and amounts to nearly a billion dollars before an item they have a HUGE Tv's sold. Costco passes the returns back to the manufacturer as many agreements dictate.

This policy does not cost them much but the paybacks for them are huge. They have a huge selection of TVs for a warehouse outfit and are selling a lo of them I'm guessing because of the return policy. I gave up choice to buy a TV there as I suggest many others have.

There will be abusers. But if it remains a select few the policy will not change.

BTW I expect a TV touted at 60,000 hours to last more then 5 years and would have NO issue returning a dead $2000 TV in even 6 years. Thats the beauty of Costco. I don't consider that abuse as it falls within accepted standards of TV life expectancy according to the manufacturer who is selling the TV with claims of 60,000 half life. 6 years is hardly taking advantage and when viewed from that standpoint . IF you watched the TV 12 hours a day every day you would only have used half the 60,0000 claimed life. No I do not think that would be considered abuse at all.

Average Joe For those few who actually watch the content rather then the TV.

Question Everything....Assume nothing.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Costco is getting $45-90 a year from EVERY family that shops there. That "fee" is pure profit and amounts to nearly a billion dollars before a single item is sold. . Costco also passes thru the returns back to the manufacturer as many agreements dictate.

This policy does not cost them much but the paybacks for them are huge. They have a huge selection of TVs for a warehouse outfit and are selling a lot of them I'm guessing because of the return policy. I gave up more choice to buy a TV there as I suggest many others have.

There will be abusers. But if it remains a select few the policy will not change.

BTW I expect a TV touted at 60,000 hours to last more then 5 years and would have NO issue returning a dead $2000 TV in even 6 years. I don't consider that abuse as it falls within accepted standards of TV life expectancy according to the manufacturer who is selling the TV with claims of 60,000 half life.

Returning a dead TV after 6 years is hardly taking advantage and when viewed from that standpoint . IF you watched the TV 12 hours a day every day you would have used less then 30,000 hours of the manufacturer's 60,0000 claimed life.They don't gurantee it, but make that claim nevertheless.

No I do not think that would be considered abuse at all.Thats the beauty of Costco.

Average Joe For those few who actually watch the content rather then the TV.

Question Everything....Assume nothing.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys, that makes sense, too bad they don't sell the Plasma I'm looking at there or on line.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:30 PM

While I have read about the return whenever policy or whatever in these forums for many years, I just went to our local store in Miami/Miami Beach and was advised that there is a strict 30 day return policy when purchased from the store...
Old 11-10-2005, 05:37 PM

Thats not true, I just returned a RP CRT TV 6 months after purchase because of dust behind the screen. They didnt even ask why!!!! They just said OK heres your money!!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:59 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Gibson lp: You are 100 percent correct! There is no time limit on the return policy at Costcos. Most people are honest; that is their reasoning behind such a liberal warranty. And, so far, it seems to have paid off for Costcos. I enjoy shopping at Costcos very much and will continue to spend my money there.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri
While I have read about the return whenever policy or whatever in these forums for many years, I just went to our local store in Miami/Miami Beach and was advised that there is a strict 30 day return policy when purchased from the store...
dude, they just gave you one large pile of Bravo Sierra. talk to the manager to get the straight scoop. if he gives you the same BS, then call national customer service and report him.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well southern florida might have it's own return policy due to hurricane damages, imagine how much damaged stuff was returned ?
I returned 2 plasma's in 7 months no problems or warnings whatsoever, i even think i saw my last return back on the shelves.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Costco's return Policy from their site as of today.

Returns or Exchanges
Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer two convenient return methods. Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.

1. You can return the item to the nearest Costco Wholesale location. To find a location,
please click here.

2. If you are unable to return your order to one of our warehouses, please e-mail us at
customer service. Please include your name, order confirmation number, phone number, and
reason for return. You will be contacted regarding your return within 5 to 7 business days.

Please note, as of November 4th, 2002, the return policy for all desktop and notebook computers are six months from the date of purchase. Six months after purchase, all computer services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer’s warranty.

---Jerry---
Old 11-11-2005, 08:03 AM

I keep the boxes of any item I think will end up on eBay at some point. So I kept the box for my Sharp 32". It is experiencing a few issues and I will probably return it and I have the box. If it's for an item that is oversized, or that I don't think all the important, I will normally wait 1-3 months before trashing the box. After that, they can't honestly expect you to have the box and we are talking about a faulty item to be returned, not a 'I changed my mind' return.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Costco suffers very little from your return. Costco does not reshelve and try to resell returns. They return the Pioneer of Pansonic or whatever to the manufacturer who then turns it around as a refurb which you will see later at eCost or some other outlet. Coctco is not charged for the unit. It's uncommon for the large retailers to accept items with no returns allowed by them to the manufacturer.

That being said, the LIFETIME satisfaction guarantee that Costco offers on everything but computers is a wrinkle I haven't investigated. I work for a company that sells through Costco. I don't know what happens to an items that is, say, 2 or 3 years old and are no longer manufacturered. I will ask the business guys who sign the contracts.

I returned a $5K Pioneer to Costco after a month. No questions asked other than why I was unhappy with the unit. My reason was accepted without argument and seemed to be asked just to satisfy the salesman's curiosity. I had carefully re-boxed it. That may have been more of a hindrance to Costco as the clerk had to reopen the boxes to verify that the major components were there.

Bill

LG 65LA9650 (upgraded)
Onkyo TX-SR876
ADS L520 fronts
BIC Acoustech PL-26 center
Mirage Omnisat V2 surrounds
Minix NEO X8-H Plus Android media box
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Same here Bill, i carefully reboxed mine and the clerk asked if was still new, i said no, they cut the top seam open to look down inside, i went there last week and saw a PA25 open top and i looked in inside, sure looked like mine as the grey plastic the covers the plasma was loose and the box that holds the cables /remote and manual were on the side not bottom below plasma.
I overheard them saying they would try to sell it, friends saw a few plasma's over the months clearanced priced at end of isles's
Old 11-11-2005, 10:18 AM

How about BJ's anyone know anything about there return policy toward television.
As I want to check out the philps plasma.

thanks
Old 11-25-2005, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhui339
How about BJ's anyone know anything about there return policy toward television.
As I want to check out the philps plasma.

thanks
30 days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement