Forum Jump:
12Likes
Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
LG 55EF9500 - mounting to a VESA arm?

I have my 55EF9500, and the non-VESA compliance thing is a real issue. The only thing LG sells is their proprietary wall mount, but mine is to go on a 3rd party table arm mount. I was thinking about having someone make a custom plate that would on its backside have the proper VESA mount holes. But mounting such a large monitor just from the bottom scares me, in terms of stability & safety.

What about using the top two large screws in the middle of the monitor as well?

My other thought was buying the LG OTW150, and seeing if I could have VESA holes put in on the back of that?

Thoughts, anyone? Pics of the back are attached.

Thanks,
GPM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0877.JPG
Views: 6355
Size: 302.8 KB
ID: 978057 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0878.JPG
Views: 7600
Size: 357.8 KB
ID: 978065 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0879.JPG
Views: 4527
Size: 319.3 KB
ID: 978073
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Got the last of my parts in last night. I had no problem using the OTW150 as an adapter by attaching it to a universal mount. Pic attached.

Basically it goes EF9500 to OTW150 to universal mount to floor stand for me.

The universal mount that I'm using is the CTM-MS1 from Premier Mounts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name: IMG_1963.jpg
Views: 6904
Size: 677.3 KB
ID: 995001
teepeey and ScottFern like this.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for your post, eisenb11. Would you mind clarifying this for me as I'm not quite clear what you've done, and non-VESA is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Can you use the OTW150 as an adaptor to connect it to a VESA compliant arm? If so could you explain how it's done (preferably with pictures.)

Many thanks for your help

Old 10-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teepeey View Post
Thanks for your post, eisenb11. Would you mind clarifying this for me as I'm not quite clear what you've done, and non-VESA is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Can you use the OTW150 as an adaptor to connect it to a VESA compliant arm? If so could you explain how it's done (preferably with pictures.)

Many thanks for your help
Here's a quick pic that I threw together.

Basically, instead of screwing the OTW to a wall, you're screwing it to the VESA mount.

The pic shows how the screw holes on the OTW align with screw holes on the VESA mount.

The pic may look a little funny because you don't see screw holes on the VESA mount, that's because this model has little plates that you put in where you want the screw holes to be... very clever!

Note that since you're attaching to a mount instead of a wall you'll need to use M6 screws and M6 nuts (I used lock nuts with nylon inserts for a better grip) instead of wood screws to hold the 2 pieces together. In theory, you could use up to 12 screws/nuts, but as you see in my diagram I chose to use 8. You can go as low as 4 in theory. Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have a washer under each nut for good measure.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name: ctm-ms1-clean.jpg
Views: 5453
Size: 68.2 KB
ID: 996393
Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post

Basically, instead of screwing the OTW to a wall, you're screwing it to the VESA mount.

The pic shows how the screw holes on the OTW align with screw holes on the VESA mount.

The pic may look a little funny because you don't see screw holes on the VESA mount, that's because this model has little plates that you put in where you want the screw holes to be... very clever!

Note that since you're attaching to a mount instead of a wall you'll need to use M6 screws and M6 nuts (I used lock nuts with nylon inserts for a better grip) instead of wood screws to hold the 2 pieces together. In theory, you could use up to 12 screws/nuts, but as you see in my diagram I chose to use 8. You can go as low as 4 in theory. Oh, and it doesn't hurt to have a washer under each nut for good measure.

Hope this helps.
So am I right in thinking the 4 holes on the back of the tv are for the mount? Not just the bottom two.

I am thinking its possible to use a metal strip say for example a 3-5mm thick plate with 4 holes along the bottom screw holes, to keep the vesa mount strips vertical and sturdy whilst bypassing the need for the otw.

I will upload a pic of what I mean if I have been unclear.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronic Man View Post
So am I right in thinking the 4 holes on the back of the tv are for the mount? Not just the bottom two.

I am thinking its possible to use a metal strip say for example a 3-5mm thick plate with 4 holes along the bottom screw holes, to keep the vesa mount strips vertical and sturdy whilst bypassing the need for the otw.

I will upload a pic of what I mean if I have been unclear.

That is correct, you need to use all 4 holes to mount the TV. You could use 2 metal strips with appropriately drilled holes to match the non-VESA spacing. Just need to make sure that they're stiff.

Keep in mind, however, that the horizontal distance from the bar to the top holes would be greater than the distance from the bar to the bottom holes so you'll likely have to use some combination of spacers to fill in the gaps.
Byronic Man and teepeey like this.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful and informative response. If I'm understanding you correctly, this solution only works with your particular VESA mount because it has this particular flexibility with regards to the placing of the screw holes. A standard mount with fixed screw holes wouldn't work. Is that correct?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Forgive my confusion. Your photo seems to show the screw holes in a square pattern whereas I thought the issue with this TV was that the mount holes were not in a square pattern. Could you clarify. Sorry to be dim.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful and informative response. If I'm understanding you correctly, this solution only works with your particular VESA mount because it has this particular flexibility with regards to the placing of the screw holes. A standard mount with fixed screw holes wouldn't work. Is that correct?

Very welcome!

I'm not certain, but my gut feeling is that you should be ok with other universal mounts so long as the pre-drilled holes are for M6 screws. I think that the main purpose of the neat mounting plates for my mount are so you can use M2, M4, M6, or M8 screws for greater compatibility... but that the hole spacing is likely the same as other universal mounts.

Quote:
Forgive my confusion. Your photo seems to show the screw holes in a square pattern whereas I thought the issue with this TV was that the mount holes were not in a square pattern. Could you clarify. Sorry to be dim.

The square (standard) pattern is so the OTW150 (LG mount) can be attached to the universal mount.

The non-square pattern is so the OTW150 can be attached to the EF9500 (TV).

Note that in the first picture, the mount on the left isn't an OTW150 but similar. I couldn't find a picture of the OTW150 with the horizontal wall plates attached. I needed those plates to show how it attaches to a universal mount so I found something similar.

I've made another picture (attached) that shows how the OTW150 attaches to the TV with the non-square pattern. Notice that in this picture, the OTW150 is missing the horizontal wall plates (that's why I didn't use it in the first picture). It does come with the horizontal plates, however, but for some reason all of the pictures online show the OTW150 with those horizontal plates detached.

To summarize, the picture in my earlier post shows how to attach the OTW to the universal mount, then use the second picture in this post to see how to attached the OTW to the TV.

The result is an AV nerd sandwich... universal mount to OTW150 to TV.

Hope this helps, let me know if anything needs further clarification.

EDIT: Just realized I got the positions backwards because the picture is reversed. Going clockwise, the mount points on the picture on the back of the TV should be labelled 3 1 2 4 instead of 1 3 4 2 but it's close enough to show what I mean!
Attached Thumbnails

Name: d.jpg
Views: 5828
Size: 45.7 KB
ID: 996961
hobbs47, teepeey and TekkJunkie like this.

Last edited by eisenb11; 10-15-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
eisenb11 thanks for your help/advise, I have managed to attach my tv to my stand without the OTW and it works.

I attached the rails/strips to the top holes and hoped I could still use the bottom holes with the rails/strips at an angle but the safety locks on my stand wouldn't click into place (only mm's out aswell).

Then I noticed the screw holes used for the stand line up with the top holes on the 65ef9500, so using smaller longer screws with some metal spacers and its sturdy and supported.

I may still use a metal plate and go back to using the correct holes, but after reading about people using just the top holes, I'm happy I dont need the OTW.

This is my stand.

https://vogels.com/en-gb/c/tv-br...k#.Vh_9MXNwbqA
Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing your findings. It's really helped me clarify this issue. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by teepeey; 10-15-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for posting details and pics on how to accomplish this. I was dreading the thought of having to remove my already well attached Monoprice mount from my wall and starting the process over with the LG mount.

I used your approach to attached the LG mount/plate directly to my Monoprice brackets and it worked like a charm!

Cheers.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperkett View Post
Thanks so much for posting details and pics on how to accomplish this. ... I used your approach to attached the LG mount/plate directly to my Monoprice brackets and it worked like a charm! Cheers.
Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing your findings. It's really helped me clarify this issue. Very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronic Man View Post
eisenb11 thanks for your help/advise, I have managed to attach my tv to my stand without the OTW and it works.

Awesome! Glad everything is going smoothly for everyone.

I'm pretty impressed with the OTW, it's pretty neat! I had thought it was the most over engineered mount that I'd seen until I saw some crazy Sanus mount today with gears and all! haha

I'm in the process of exchanging my set for one with a newer production date... it's pretty easy to get the set on and off of the mount.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the posts, eisenb11.

I too, can not use the mount that comes with the TV.
Due to the fact that the inside of my entertainment center can only accommodate a 60" TV, sooo, I have to mount the TV with an articulating arm so the TV will sit just outside the cutout for the TV in my entertainment center.

Thanks to you, I called Premier Mounts, and I will order the CTM-MS1, along with the AM-80 which is an Articulating arm mount which will allow the TV to be pulled out a max of 17"'s from the point where the mount is attached, (more than enough) as I want it to sit flush against the entertainment center.

Here's a picture of where the TV will go, but instead of sitting inside the enclosure it will rest along the edges of the cutout.

LG has you to thank for me buying the TV, as they don't make a 60" and a 55" would not be that much bigger than the 52" Sharp that resides there now.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name: Entertainment center with TV & Fireplace.JPG
Views: 2925
Size: 602.3 KB
ID: 1048185
Old 11-09-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have the 65 EF9500
Need to install over the fireplace but would hate to view the TV from that height.

Bought the Dynamic Mount, but it doesn't fit.

Is there anyway for the DM to work with this TV?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
How far away from the wall does the front of the TV sit when the bracket is pushed full back against the wall? I'm wondering if this is better than a recessed mount.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
will using a product like mono price 400X200mm Bracket Universal Adapter work? I envision using this to secure it to the lower 120mm holes at the bottom of the tv then using the 200mm or 400mm holes to connect to the vesa mount

Last edited by gupta011; 12-12-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: picture
Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool picture

here is the photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name: 34031.jpg
Views: 2502
Size: 70.6 KB
ID: 1114874
Old 12-13-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also purchased a stand with an arm prior to purchasing this TV (55EF9500) so definitely wanted to use it for this set. Set arrived on Tuesday, had to wait for the OTW150 mount till Friday. I pretty much did exactly what eisenb11 instructed. Bought 8 m6 screws and 8 m6 nylon lock nuts. Used two washers on each screw front and back. It's pretty solid on the stand. My stand can holds 130 lbs. TV plus mount and sound bar only weigh roughly 55-60 lbs. I didn't do any fabricating whatsoever. I attached a few photos.

Name: 2015-12-13 15.08.36.jpg
Views: 1869
Size: 164.8 KB
ID: 1118874

Name: DSCN3120.jpg
Views: 2371
Size: 188.9 KB
ID: 1118882

Name: DSCN3127.jpg
Views: 4152
Size: 90.1 KB
ID: 1118890
Old 12-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have resolved this vesa mounting issue with retro fit to my vesa TV mount. Like many of you, I had an existing television mounted to my wall with a standard vesa mount, and when I purchased the 55" OLED, I was a little put off by LG's proprietary mounting system. I wasn't about to rip my mount out of the wall to re-install their mount, so I created my own solution. I will start by saying that this is in no way supported or probably approved by any manufacturer but it works. So, at your own risk boys and girls . I have attached some pics as well so you can get a visual understanding of the solution. You will need to purchase about 20-25 dollars worth of supplies from your hardware store as well.

Supplies:

(2) 10" flat steel bars rigid enough to not bend in your hand very easily or at all.
(2) 4-6" pieces of metal strip bracing with holes.
(2) screws for the metal strip bracing
(2) wing nuts for the screws

Take one of the 10" flat steel bars and have the hardware store drill two holes in the center which are 4 3/4" apart. (120mm). These need to be in a straight line, and the holes need to be big enough to fit the screws for your vesa mounting bracket.

Take the 10" flat steel bar with the holes drilled into and screw it into the back of the OLED in the bottom two mounting holes. Use the existing bracket's mounting screws if you can. The LG ones are are too short. Do not fasten all the way at this time, as you will need some wiggle room to slide the metal strip bracing under it.

Take out the LG white screws from the back of the set. Remove the vesa mounting bracket from your old tv and set it on the back of the new tv on top of the steel bar. Line up the top holes of the vesa bracket with the top two 200mm holes in the LG and tighten with the screws from the existing vesa bracket.

Slide the two metal strip bracing pieces underneath the steel bar with the holes on the bottom of the tv, out side the mounting screws. Use a level and make sure your mount is even, then tighten the two bottom mounting screws.

Place the second flat steel bar on top of the first one and on top of the vesa bracket. Slide the screws through the metal strip bracing and secure with the wing nuts to firmly tighten the whole apparatus together. This must not have any movement at all.

Do another level check and make sure everything is without any movement. Then hang the whole thing on your wall mount or arm.

In the picture with the retro fitted bracing, I moved to top metal bar over so you could see the bar underneath, so it's not all tied down yet, but you should get the general idea.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name: IMG_20151210_100555361.jpg
Views: 2698
Size: 92.1 KB
ID: 1120170 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_20151211_154729608.jpg
Views: 3310
Size: 159.6 KB
ID: 1120178 Click image for larger version

Name: _20151214_115431.jpg
Views: 2926
Size: 102.8 KB
ID: 1120202
Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 847
That seems like a lot of work when the OTW150 mounts directly to a VESA mount, but it is very creative.

The main issue is that the OTW150/VESA mount sandwich mounts the TV about 2" (for the 65EF9500) higher than centered on the mount, so your TV will end up about 2" higher than your old one was.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
That seems like a lot of work when the OTW150 mounts directly to a VESA mount, but it is very creative.

The main issue is that the OTW150/VESA mount sandwich mounts the TV about 2" (for the 65EF9500) higher than centered on the mount, so your TV will end up about 2" higher than your old one was.
This is correct. I knew it going in. I actually like it more higher, with the TV being bigger than my previous 46 inch. Gives a theatre feel.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:45 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 847
The mount used to hang my plasma held the TV in the exact center of a space so being off would have thrown it off-center within that opening.

Ultimately I mounted mine on its stand (the plasma plus stand had been too tall for the space despite the plasma actually being 1" smaller diagonally.)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

It wasn't too much work but, yea, I could have went with the OTW150..it was just the principle of the thing that bothered me . I didn't want to give them any more money than I already had because they decided to create this issue. Definitely stubborn of me, I know, but it just got to me. The TV went up about 2" on my wall as well due to the mount placement, which isn't bad at all for TV and movie viewing, unless it's 3D. We pretty much have to stand up if we want to watch anything in 3D..lol. Kinda sucks to be honest. Depending on whether the movie was filmed in 3D, or enhanced to 3D really changes the viewing options too. Enhanced in 3D basically means you have to be at eye level dead center in front of this thing or the image is not clear. Ah well, good thing I'm not that crazy about 3D anyway. Overall, though, a great TV.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Had great success using a Sanus SLF7-B1. Available at Costco store near my house and probably online I would guess.

Purchased after trying several other mounts that didn't work for the width of the studs in the wall. This one works for 24" width between studs. Didn't want to do the plywood thing as the alternative. It articulates pretty well but isn't as flexible as the other mounts I was looking at, so take a look that it meets your needs in terms of full motion.

Conveniently, the brackets on this mount run horizontally, so the non-square mounting post holes is a non-issue.

The mount did require me to drill two holes in the brackets to perfectly match the spacing of the LG holes. The mount had a solid area in the bracket that was almost "designed" for it, lol. With a little care, a cordless drill/steel drill bit, and a pair of safety glasses, it was simple and took 5 minutes to figure out.

Hope this is helpful and is just another option to try. Keeps one from having to buy multiple mounts etc.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"The mount did require me to drill two holes in the brackets to perfectly match the spacing of the LG holes. The mount had a solid area in the bracket that was almost "designed" for it, lol. With a little care, a cordless drill/steel drill bit, and a pair of safety glasses, it was simple and took 5 minutes to figure out."

Thanks. What is the bit you used to drill holes? What screws did you use, please?
Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonvicAV View Post
"The mount did require me to drill two holes in the brackets to perfectly match the spacing of the LG holes. The mount had a solid area in the bracket that was almost "designed" for it, lol. With a little care, a cordless drill/steel drill bit, and a pair of safety glasses, it was simple and took 5 minutes to figure out."

Thanks. What is the bit you used to drill holes? What screws did you use, please?
The bit was a 3/8 or 5/16, can't remember exactly. You can eyeball it based on the screws. By pre-measuring and making a pencil mark I got it close enough to drill single holes for each screw...if you don't line up, you might need to drill more of an oval shaped hole and rely more on the washers to hold the brackets to the TV by friction, so take the time to measure and remeasure.

The mount comes with the needed screws and washers to connect. The TV mounts are M6 screws I believe but in any case if I'm mistaken there are a variety included with the mount and you'll just have to check which ones fit correctly, sorry if the above isn't exact.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Many thanks.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I guess I don't completely get it. My issue is the OTW is expensive AND its only a tilt mount and mostly spite because LGs refusal to use the system everyone else uses. I can go on monoprice and I have a nearly overwhelming selection of full motion universal mounts for 30 bucks. So buying the OTW just to mount it on a universal seems silly to me.

Me personally I figured I could get a plate and just drill the extra holes in it and everything would be fine. Thats before looking on here and seeing all the issue people have getting their mounts to work. So maybe there is more to it than that, but I really cant imagine what.

Plus BB stocks the OTW sould I could stop on my way home and the thing could be on the wall tonight and id be done with it. A full motion mount would be nice though.

Last edited by loki993; 01-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Very welcome!

I'm not certain, but my gut feeling is that you should be ok with other universal mounts so long as the pre-drilled holes are for M6 screws. I think that the main purpose of the neat mounting plates for my mount are so you can use M2, M4, M6, or M8 screws for greater compatibility... but that the hole spacing is likely the same as other universal mounts.

The square (standard) pattern is so the OTW150 (LG mount) can be attached to the universal mount.

The non-square pattern is so the OTW150 can be attached to the EF9500 (TV).

Note that in the first picture, the mount on the left isn't an OTW150 but similar. I couldn't find a picture of the OTW150 with the horizontal wall plates attached. I needed those plates to show how it attaches to a universal mount so I found something similar.

I've made another picture (attached) that shows how the OTW150 attaches to the TV with the non-square pattern. Notice that in this picture, the OTW150 is missing the horizontal wall plates (that's why I didn't use it in the first picture). It does come with the horizontal plates, however, but for some reason all of the pictures online show the OTW150 with those horizontal plates detached.

To summarize, the picture in my earlier post shows how to attach the OTW to the universal mount, then use the second picture in this post to see how to attached the OTW to the TV.

EDIT: Just realized I got the positions backwards because the picture is reversed. Going clockwise, the mount points on the picture on the back of the TV should be labelled 3 1 2 4 instead of 1 3 4 2 but it's close enough to show what I mean!
Quote:

Forgive me, what VESA mount this is all about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement