Forum Jump:
4Likes
  • 1 Post By satam55
  • 1 Post By Haywood Jablomi
  • 1 Post By jbeechuk
  • 1 Post By jbeechuk
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2015, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member

thecoffeeguy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vudu vs Google Play vs Amazon Video

Hey all.
Hope this is the right thread.

Was hoping for some feedback and suggestions as I need to make a decision moving forward on where and how I want to store my digital movie library.

I have narrowed down to the three in the subject:

Vudu
Google Play
Amazon

I am sort of torn between the three so I wanted to put down some information about my uses, what i use, moving forward etc.

I currently own a Roku 3, so they all are supported on Roku.
I am a Android user for my phone.
Tablet, do not have one yet, but am on the market for either a Amazon Fire tablet or Android tablet.
Also, probably going to be picking up a google chromebook when they release their next version of the flip type, which is like the Surface 3 (touch screen and laptop).

Now, I tend to travel a lot for work. I mention that because it would be nice to be able to watch movies, listen to music and read books while I am traveling around the world.

Things that are appealing to me:

-Google play. Easy with my android phone and if i go with a Android tablet and chromebook, that may be the clear winner. Movies, music from google play.
-Amazon. I have always liked Amazon. Lots of options and with Amazon prime, the option to download LOTS of movies and play them back on a Fire tablet is very enticing (same with the kindle idea...tons of books, although not sure if a Fire tablet is as good as a Kindle for reading.) Movies, music and books.
-Vudu. I have quite a few Ultra Violet movies in my VuDu library. Vudu seems pretty good. It works on my PC, Roku, Mac, Phone but not Fire tablet.

Couple things.
As far as movie quality, does one have better quality than the other, or is it all pretty similar? I tend to be very picky about items like that. I know they will not be as good as Blu-Ray, but i am ok with that.

That is it.
Hoping that the info i provided helps determine a good option for me. They are all good, but is there one that others recommend over others?

Many thanks!

TCG
thecoffeeguy is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

DenisG's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I like Amazon for lots of Prime choices, but for picture and sound I use Vudu for my library. It's also nice I can share my movies with Vudu, with the exception of Disney movies. Be nice if Disney got on the UV locker. Most of my movies can be played on my Amazon Kindle Fire HDX threw the flixster app, of course Disney movies don't show up, but now Amazon is part of Disney movies anywhere so the show up in my Amazon movie collection. Vudu's disk to digital works pretty good. It's like $1.00 a movie if you convert 10 or more at a time.

Last edited by DenisG; 11-29-2015 at 11:06 AM.
DenisG is offline
Old 11-30-2015, 12:30 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Jon S's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,242
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I like VUDU... You get chapter stops which Amazon Prime lacks. Also, the VUDU interface is far easier... I do not understand the problem with Disney though... I have no issues with Disney movies and VUDU. Image quality on VUDU and Amazon is about the same.

I have no experience with Google Play.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline

Old 11-30-2015, 05:46 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

DenisG's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I like VUDU... You get chapter stops which Amazon Prime lacks. Also, the VUDU interface is far easier... I do not understand the problem with Disney though... I have no issues with Disney movies and VUDU. Image quality on VUDU and Amazon is about the same.

I have no experience with Google Play.
If you own the Disney movie there is no problem playing on VUDU. The problem is VUDU belongs to the ultraviolet locker and Disney dose not. Now if share your VUDU movies with someone they will not see your Disney movies because the share goes through the ultraviolet locker. Just like if you link the flixster app or CinemaNow to your ultraviolet locker it will not see Disney movies either.
Disney movies anywhere only shares your Disney with VUDU, Amazon, iTunes, Google play and Microsoft if you have any of those accounts. I share my VUDU movies with some family members and they can log into their own account and see all my movies except for anything Disney related. I can watch them fine on my account. They can't see them on their accounts unless they go and buy them themselves.

Last edited by DenisG; 11-30-2015 at 05:59 PM.
DenisG is offline
Old 12-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Member

satam55's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Google Play is EASILY the least popular of those 3 choices. You should choose between Amazon Video & Vudu.
reddice likes this.
satam55 is offline
Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

sdsalsero's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would think the ability to download and play offline would be the decision point for you?
sdsalsero is offline
Old 12-04-2015, 04:25 AM
Newbie

nomad2000's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you know about the size of the catalogues of Amazon Video and VUDU? Is there a large difference between them? I have this impression that Amazon Video has lots and lots of titles.
nomad2000 is offline
Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Haywood Jablomi's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The big advantage Vudu has over Amazon is UltraViolet support. There is a vast aftermarket for UV codes that makes it easy to get nearly any new release for 1/4 to 1/3 what you would otherwise pay. UV also has disc-to-digital, which makes it easy and inexpensive to get movies you already own into the system. Vudu has a nice Android client, by the way.
jbeechuk likes this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
Haywood Jablomi is offline
Old 12-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Member

jbeechuk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
VUDU all the way.
reddice likes this.
jbeechuk is offline
Old 12-12-2015, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member

thecoffeeguy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeechuk View Post
VUDU all the way.
Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

I knocked off Google Play after doing a lot of reading. It really is between VUDU and Amazon. I *think* Amazon has a bigger selection at the moment. The other big item for me as a member suggested above is the ability to download movies I own or rent offline (i travel a lot and watching movies during a long flight makes the flight go faster).

Between Amazon and VUDU, does VUDO provide better HD quality movies over Amazon? Was not sure and thought i would ask if anyone else knew.


Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Cheers,

TCG
thecoffeeguy is offline
Old 12-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Member

jbeechuk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know what Amazon streams at, as far as the bit rate. But I know VUDU approaches 20 Mbps, which is close to most Blu-Rays. And unless you are using a projector, I don't think you would even notice the difference. I stopped buying Blu-Rays about a year ago. I'm strictly VUDU now. And with the UV support, I share my account with 5 other people. So we have over 200 movies we can all share. (Well, at least the ones that are UV).
jbeechuk is offline
Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mr.G's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

I knocked off Google Play after doing a lot of reading. It really is between VUDU and Amazon. I *think* Amazon has a bigger selection at the moment. The other big item for me as a member suggested above is the ability to download movies I own or rent offline (i travel a lot and watching movies during a long flight makes the flight go faster).

Between Amazon and VUDU, does VUDO provide better HD quality movies over Amazon? Was not sure and thought i would ask if anyone else knew.


Really appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Cheers,

TCG
The only service that I am familiar with that allows downloads to a laptop, tablet or PC is VUDU. And this is only for movies or TV shows you own.

For 1080p Amazon and VUDU (DD+ 5.1) generally stream at 9-10 Mbps.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline
Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Member

huskerbear's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
The big advantage Vudu has over Amazon is UltraViolet support. There is a vast aftermarket for UV codes that makes it easy to get nearly any new release for 1/4 to 1/3 what you would otherwise pay. UV also has disc-to-digital, which makes it easy and inexpensive to get movies you already own into the system. Vudu has a nice Android client, by the way.
This^^^^^^^

The DECE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...tent_Ecosystem) was formed a few years ago and they voted on a standard for digital content, which is Ultraviolet. As of today, Vudu is the only one on your list that has joined the standard, so for me anyway, it's an easy choice. And Vudu works great!
huskerbear is offline
Old 12-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Haywood Jablomi's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeechuk View Post
I don't know what Amazon streams at, as far as the bit rate. But I know VUDU approaches 20 Mbps, which is close to most Blu-Rays. And unless you are using a projector, I don't think you would even notice the difference. I stopped buying Blu-Rays about a year ago. I'm strictly VUDU now. And with the UV support, I share my account with 5 other people. So we have over 200 movies we can all share. (Well, at least the ones that are UV).
I transitioned a few years ago and am up to about a thousand movies, plus a number of TV series on Vudu. I make pretty aggressive use of the after-market code sites for most of my purchases, though I also score a lot of movies via Vudu sales.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
Haywood Jablomi is offline
Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Member

jbeechuk's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
I transitioned a few years ago and am up to about a thousand movies, plus a number of TV series on Vudu. I make pretty aggressive use of the after-market code sites for most of my purchases, though I also score a lot of movies via Vudu sales.
1000 movies....wow. Very impressive. Isn't it great to just pick a movie with your remote from your couch....and not have to get up, find the disc, wait for the Blu-Ray player to load through all the crap.
reddice likes this.
jbeechuk is offline
Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mr.G's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The only service that I am familiar with that allows downloads to a laptop, tablet or PC is VUDU. And this is only for movies or TV shows you own.

For 1080p Amazon and VUDU (DD+ 5.1) generally stream at 9-10 Mbps.
Now that I own the new Fire Tablet (5th generation) I can update my comment and add that this device allows you to download movies and TV shows, both rentals and purchases.

I don't have much need for this feature, watching on a 7" screen is not my idea of entertainment, but it works well. I have a small library of mainly Disney/Marvel movies on Amazon and as a test I downloaded Guardians of the Galaxy. Plug in some good earphones and the stereo sounds fine.
A widescreen movie like Guardians is only going to be about 5" on an diagonal. For watching while traveling I guess it would suffice.

Information on this capability can be found here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...deId=201829780

Note: I already had this mobile capability with my larger library of movies and TV shows on VUDU and my iPad.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline
Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

DenisG's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Since VUDU app isn't available for the Fire tablet, load Flixster and link it to your UltraViolet locker and you can watch your VUDU movies that way as long as your VUDU account is linked to your UltraViolet locker. You can stream or download your UV movies with Flixster.
DenisG is offline
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Senior Member

pghflyer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMO, it depends on if you care more about features or quality specs. You can't beat VUDU for quality specs. Amazon doesn't offer a stated "HD" quality on streaming so you could get 1080 but often also 720 and probably even a little less sometimes. Same with audio, Vudu offers DD+5.1 on most new titles and at least tells you what you are getting. I don't believe Amazon offers DD+, and they again, don't tell you what you will be getting anyhow, so who knows when you will sit down and get 2.0
pghflyer is offline
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mr.G's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghflyer View Post
IMO, it depends on if you care more about features or quality specs. You can't beat VUDU for quality specs. Amazon doesn't offer a stated "HD" quality on streaming so you could get 1080 but often also 720 and probably even a little less sometimes. Same with audio, Vudu offers DD+5.1 on most new titles and at least tells you what you are getting. I don't believe Amazon offers DD+, and they again, don't tell you what you will be getting anyhow, so who knows when you will sit down and get 2.0
It depends on the device you're using and the UI. VUDU HDX and Amazon HD both stream 1080p at around 10 Mbps. Not all movies on Amazon have DD+ 5.1 but they do provide that stream when available. For example the Wild Card movie with Jason Statham has DD+ sound.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline
Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

psuKinger's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,213
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 446
If choosing between the above listed options, I'd go with Vudu.

But what I personally do is rip my Blu Ray discs, losslessly, and store them on a Plex Server. Then I can stream them back, 1:1, as if the disc was inserted into a player (with the hd audio in tact on my Nvidia Shield), or I can transcode on the fly for any other *client* I may try to stream to (phone, tablet, laptop, roku, etc).

JMO.
psuKinger is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off