Forum Jump:
Old 12-06-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Should I disable uPnP on my router?

This applies to many routers, although I am using Linksys 1900ac.

Is UPnP needed to be enabled on the router for common Windows and iOS apps?

In particular, is it needed for Apple's Airplay feature (used by AppleTV and many receivers including my Denon) and by DLNA to function?

Thanks.
Aloke

PS: This seems to be a big no-no based on these news items from last year:
http://forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/01/29/disable-a-protocol-called-upnp-on-your-router-n...
http://kb.cert.org/vuls/id/922681
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokeprasad View Post
This applies to many routers, although I am using Linksys 1900ac.

Is UPnP needed to be enabled on the router for common Windows and iOS apps?

In particular, is it needed for Apple's Airplay feature (used by AppleTV and many receivers including my Denon) and by DLNA to function?

Thanks.
Aloke

PS: This seems to be a big no-no based on these news items from last year:
http://forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/01/29/disable-a-protocol-called-upnp-on-your-router-n...
http://kb.cert.org/vuls/id/922681
I disable mine simply because I hate having the router's UPnP server show up in all of the DLNA playback lists on the devices in my home. I've seen no adverse affect from it.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
I disable mine simply because I hate having the router's UPnP server show up in all of the DLNA playback lists on the devices in my home. I've seen no adverse affect from it.
I don't think disabling your router's own UPnP media server is the same as disabling UPnP functionality for the whole network!

Old 12-06-2014, 11:30 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2785 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
I don't think disabling your router's own UPnP media server is they same as disabling UPnP functionality for the whole network!
Correct. Some routers have a UPnP setting that is actually a traffic cop, giving priority to streaming media traffic and hopefully avoiding interruptions in those streams. This should be kept enabled, and there certainly isn't any compelling reason to ever disable that. (although its possible some routers may have it disabled by default)
Old 12-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think disabling your router's own UPnP media server is they same as disabling UPnP functionality for the whole network!
No one said it was.

I have a DLNA Media Server that I affectionately have labeled "BrettFlix". When I or anyone else in my house goes to their mobile phone, tablet, DirecTV box, XBMC Client, etc. etc. etc. and look at the list of DLNA servers I don't want them to see:

BrettFlix
TPLINK_ArcherC71a518345

and then ask me which one they should choose.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No one said it was.

I have a DLNA Media Server that I affectionately have labeled "BrettFlix". When I or anyone else in my house goes to their mobile phone, tablet, DirecTV box, XBMC Client, etc. etc. etc. and look at the list of DLNA servers I don't want them to see:

BrettFlix
TPLINK_ArcherC71a518345

Old 12-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
No one said it was.

BrettFlix
TPLINK_ArcherC71a518345

Well your reply to the OP's question seemed to imply it, Smitbret.

The 'UPnP' setting available on some routers (ie with no mention of a media server) should refer to the 'traffic cop' that RdGrimes mentioned - I've never come across one that doesn't mean that. The setting for the UPnP media server that some routers have and I believe you were referring to should also mention 'media server' or perhaps just 'server' in the words of the setting, to avoid confusion.

Last edited by Cebolla; 12-06-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well your reply to the OP's question seemed to imply it, Smitbret.

The 'UPnP' setting available on some routers (ie with no mention of a media server) should refer to the 'traffic cop' that RdGrimes mentioned - I've never come across one that doesn't mean that. The setting for the UPnP media server that some routers have and I believe you were referring to should also mention 'media server' or perhaps just 'server' in the words of the setting, to avoid confusion.
Cool, I gotcha. As long as we're on the same page, it's all good.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The UPnP setting I was talking about is on the router Admin page, implying that the setting is to enable or disable the UPnP method for administering the router.

Admittedly, the documentation for the Linksys WRT1900ac is a little confusing:

HOW TO CONFIGURE UPnP
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) allows devices connected to a network to discover each other and automatically create working configurations. Examples of UPnP capable devices include web cameras, online gaming applications, and VoIP devices. UPnP is enabled by default.
To configure UPnP, do the following:
• Under Router Settings, click Connectivity, then click the Administration tab.
• To use UPnP, select Enabled (default) next to UPnP.
• To allow changing router settings while using UPnP, select Allow Users to Configure.
• To prevent local network users from disabling your Internet connection through UPnP, deselect the Allow users to disable Internet access checkbox.
• Click OK.

I have disabled this setting without affecting AirPlay and my PS3 is still listing the media server built into my NAS (hanging off a switch on the network).

The router also allows one to connect a USB hard drive to it and serve media from it. Those settings are in the "External Storage" page of the settings. Here is the language for that in the manual:

HOW TO SET UP YOUR ROUTER AS A MEDIA SERVER
A media server lets you share media content across your network. Your router can act as a media server if it has a USB drive attached and if you have UPnP AV (Audio and Video)-enabled or DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)-certified devices in your home. Examples of UPnP AV-enabled devices include digital media players, gaming consoles with a built-in media player, and digital picture frames.
For example, if you have a digital media adapter that sends content to your entertainment system, and if your router’s set up as a media server, then the digital media adapter can access your router’s attached USB drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement