Forum Jump:
post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I ran a bunch of wiring from downstairs to my upstairs a couple years ago. For whatever reason, I didn't bother to label the wires (coax, RG6 & speaker wire). Now I need to know which wire is which. And I have access to both ends of the wire.

What is a cheap solution for this? Just get a 9 volt battery connected to one end and my multimeter to the other end?
Or is there a slightly easier, more professional way?

Not looking for a tone generator, since it seems anything under $60 is junk. At least from the reviews I've been reading. My cabling is all about 50', give or take a few.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
One cable at a time, short two of the wires together at one end. Then measure the resistance of the same two wires in each cable at the other end. The one you are looking for will show a resistance. The others will measure infinite, unless there are shorted somewhere.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 876
The 9V battery or shorting a pair together both work, and need only a multimeter to use.

Assuming you meant Cat5 and RG6, you might be better off with a cheap cable tester, which will work just as well as the 9V battery, but will also tell you you've got the cat5's terminated correctly. This little Extech unit works great for this, and does coax and cat5:

http://extech.com/instruments/pr...id=2&prodid=11

The difference between all the above and a cable locator is the need to physically connect to each wire to find the correct one. For a small number of wires, this isn't that big of a deal, but for more than a dozen, becomes a big time sink...

If you go the 'cheap' route, attach the battery (or tie the pair together) at the "far end" of the wire, and do your locating at the head end. That may be obvious, but it's worth mentioning...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Job would go alot ezier if you have 1 person on each end.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ONLY way to trace those wires is with a tone generator and wand. Tripplet makes one. Just Google "Triplett Fox and Hound" or "Fluke Networks IntelliToner".

You clip the tone generator to the wire you want to trace, then use the non-contact wand at the other end. You'll hear the tone in the wand the closer you get to the wire. Its fantastic.

One tip: the tone generator has two clips, when tracing CAT5 wire don't clip the generator to both wires of the same pair (like the blue and blue/white pair). The twist serves to cancel the radiated signal. Instead, clip to the blue and orange wire.

Hope this helps

Lance Beasley
ENCO Electronic Systems
encoelectronics.com
post #6 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

I use a set I got from lowes it was under $30 and works well. Has connectors for coax, network, and aligator clips.

All men are animals, some of us just make better pets.

Moose Drool Moovie Theater
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Since you have access to both ends of each cable, you don't need a 'fox and hound'.

A battery and a lightbulb would work, but a device from HD/Lowes for $20 would be much, much, much easier. A cheap piece of junk would work just fine for 20 drops.

Or, as you said, your multimeter.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
9 volt battery and your tongue.

AI Limited
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

9 volt battery and your tongue.

Funny enough, I recall seeing a cable installer doing this once. He had a 9v all rigged up with an F connector on it. He'd terminate the wall end, connect the batter, then head up to the attic and lick the cut ends until he found the right one...
post #10 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM

I didn't bother labeling my cabling I pulled in my house for a reason: All the cabling had a distance marking every foot. So, where I pulled 2 coax cables, I could look at one side of the pull (roughtly 30') and see one labeled '260 ft' and the other labeled '290' ft. Then go to the other side of the pull and see one labeled '289 ft' and the other labeled '319 ft', I can figure out which is which.

Are your cables labeled this way?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yobrigidey View Post

I didn't bother labeling my cabling I pulled in my house for a reason: All the cabling had a distance marking every foot. So, where I pulled 2 coax cables, I could look at one side of the pull (roughtly 30') and see one labeled '260 ft' and the other labeled '290' ft. Then go to the other side of the pull and see one labeled '289 ft' and the other labeled '319 ft', I can figure out which is which.

Are your cables labeled this way?

Are you terminating your cables at a patch panel? If so, once you have your wall plates on at each drop, how are you then going to know what cables go where? At the very least, you'll have to label them at the closet, right?

I guess for the purposes of pulling the cable though, no labels would be necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page