post #1 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
2018 F1 Racing in HD

Dedicated to Steve Wishinsky. 1966-2016 RIP
Sharp1080, BGLeduc, Tack and 1 others like this.

Licence to Kill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:21 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 7971
Just read on BBC Sport that Aston Martin is looking to possibly develop a F1 powerplant for new regulations by 2021. For now they are teamed up with Red Bull.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV3, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub
post #3 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Just read on BBC Sport that Aston Martin is looking to possibly develop a F1 powerplant for new regulations by 2021. For now they are teamed up with Red Bull.
Aston Martin and Porsche back in F1. 2021 could be great. Liberty needs to hold firm with this new engine formula, Merc and Ferrari can go suck it.

A Dutch GP is starting to look like a real possibility.

http://gptoday.com/full_story/vi...tch_GP_return/

Get the Algarve and Brno on the schedule too, and then you have the best tracks in Europe on the calendar.

post #4 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked: 4637
Don't have anything to add at the moment. Am only posting now in order to subscribe to this new thread.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #5 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Don't have anything to add at the moment. Am only posting now in order to subscribe to this new thread.
Damn..I was hoping you wouldn't notice.
post #6 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Not sure if you know, but you can subscribe to threads without posting.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #7 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
Not sure if you know, but you can subscribe to threads without posting.
Yeah, since I have been an online-shashki member since 2004, I figured that out sometime ago,

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #8 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1792
I’m just going to leave this here.

https://jalopnik.com/ferraris-now-th...ium=socialflow

#JB17
post #9 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 984
“I would like to continue with Formula 1, but we have to find compromises that don’t leave Ferrari without the possibility of showing its DNA in every race. ...”

Speaking of which, Ferrari is a huge part, to say the least, of F1's "DNA". Regardless of being a tifosi or not, a F1 championship without Ferrari would be really silly! Kind of like The Lord Of The Rings with no ring... I hope they find a middle ground somewhere with Liberty, for now I guess they will. Economically it wouldn't be so smart either.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #10 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post

"Ferrari's Now Threatening To Quit F1 And Start A Rival Racing Series "

Ummm, haven't they been threatening to do that for the last 5 years or so? Ugh.....actions speak much louder than words. That's directed at Ferrari and Marko. Stop talking crap. If you are going to "take your toys and go home," just do it! Stop making empty threats. No one takes you guys seriously because you have been crying wolf for years now and done diddly squat!
BGLeduc, gwsat and catonic like this.
post #11 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
"Ferrari's Now Threatening To Quit F1 And Start A Rival Racing Series "

Ummm, haven't they been threatening to do that for the last 5 years or so?
No..just recently. And at various times throughout the history of F1 as have other teams.
post #12 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's funny that Ferrari is taking a stand against something that probably none of us agree with either but since it's Ferrari all the haters want to jump on the bandwagon to try to make them look bad.
Keeping development costs down has never worked and why would anyone want essentially spec engines in the series.
post #13 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 7971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I think it's funny that Ferrari is taking a stand against something that probably none of us agree with either but since it's Ferrari all the haters want to jump on the bandwagon to try to make them look bad.
Keeping development costs down has never worked and why would anyone want essentially spec engines in the series.
It's not yet clear to me whether they are proposing spec engines or just limitations on specific technologies. An example from the past might be active suspension, which was forbidden, but this did not stop aero and other suspension developments.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV3, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub

Last edited by gprace; 12-20-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #14 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I wish they would have experimented in 3D broadcasting before it died. It would have been awesome. NASCAR too.
post #15 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Hamilton explains it well.
http://espn.com/f1/story/_/id/21...reat-seriously

Ferrari isn't going anywhere. As Maurice says, what is the DNA? He is probably correct in that it has more to do with that large bribe than DNA.

Joe had some good thoughts as well
Quote:
Back in the real world, there will be more grumbling next week when F1 starts getting serious about cost-cutting. This is not new. Ferrari built an Indycar back in the 1980s to try to convince F1 that it was serious about quitting the sport. But no-one believed them then and no-one is going to believe them now. If Ferrari is mad enough to leave F1 it will get what it deserves. If that sounds harsh it is because the team has been spoilt for too long and should accept to be treated fairly, rather than always demanding an unfair advantage. Half the world supports this supposed mystique, but it makes no sense at all. It’s like supporting a boxer who insists that his opponents have one hand tied behind their backs but still wants people to think he is the best. The truth is that the team cannot even win when it has such advantages, so one does wonder why the fans care more about the brand than they do about the moribund (and wasted) Bugatti or the busted flushes like BRM or Lotus.
Quote:
The world has moved on and those who think we are going back 35 years to the same kind of fight are dreaming. The sport is now so big that no-one can consider breaking it up. It would be suicidal and would cost a fortune and the offers that will be on the table from Liberty will be sensible, if not generous. They are in the game to make money, but their idea is to do it in a logical way, working with the team and the other stakeholders. The days of divide-and-conquer are over and, as a listed company, their ability to have special deals with the likes of Ferrari is pretty minimal. If they do that, what is to stop a Williams shareholder suing Liberty because his team does not have a fair share of the revenues?

Ferrari has taken a fair beating for suggesting that it might quit the sport if it doesn’t get what it wants. The response inside the sport has been fairly clear. Off you go folks… The manufacturers want to preserve their advantages, but they are not going to throw themselves on the Ferrari bonfire unless it really makes sense. And it doesn’t. On top of all this I seriously doubt Sergio Marchionne is going to pull Ferrari out of F1. He is up to his neck in things that are much more important. He’s trying to keep Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on the right path. Thus far he has managed to hit all his targets and has collected vast (some might say obscene) bonuses as a result. Recent revelations indicate that by the time he leaves FCA in 2019 Marchionne will own shares in the company worth $325 million. He wants to keep the share price high as a result of this and is looking for a partner with which to merge the business, but there is a nasty little scandal brewing over labour deals struck by Chrysler with the powerful United Automobile Workers. These, it seems, were achieved by bribing the union representatives and the FBI wants to know whether Marchionne knew about it. It certainly helped the company enormously. Faced with such things, the F1 problems of Ferrari are really not that important…

One should also consider one other thing that may have an impact. In Italy there are two sports that the nation follows: football and Formula 1. As we were flying home from Brazil on Monday, Italy failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, being knocked out by Sweden. It was the first time in 60 years that the nation did not make it to the competition, which it has won four times and been runner-up twice. For many Italians it was a complete disaster. The manager was sacked (of course) and the media spoke of it being the darkest moment in the country’s sporting history. Now, imagine how well Marchionne would fare if he pulled Ferrari out of F1…
gprace and catonic like this.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from online-shashkicience
post #16 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked: 4419
Quote:

Maybe it's the way 'ol Serge comes across. Like a giant baby. Like Merc and Renault want to join some Ferrari based series. I'm sure that would be fair.

You can't be that big of a fanboy to actually like this 500 million dollar Fiat spokeshole. As soon as the UAW stuff comes out he's gone anyway, in an expertly tailored Italian parachute.
post #17 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Maybe it's the way 'ol Serge comes across. Like a giant baby. Like Merc and Renault want to join some Ferrari based series. I'm sure that would be fair.

You can't be that big of a fanboy to actually like this 500 million dollar Fiat spokeshole. As soon as the UAW stuff comes out he's gone anyway, in an expertly tailored Italian parachute.
I doubt they expect them to join the series.
I don't have to like all the current players to like the team.
post #18 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:

LOL, "I'm done" "I'm out".

Get yer ass back in here while it's still seamless. Couple months from now and the price goes way up.
post #19 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleduc View Post
i’m just going to leave this here.

holy cow!!!!!
post #20 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I doubt they expect them to join the series.
I don't have to like all the current players to like the team.
"“If we can’t find that, then Ferrari has to go away. If Ferrari can pull out other teams, we have to see it from an economical point of view, but I think that we are able to do it.”
post #21 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
LOL, "I'm done" "I'm out".

Get yer ass back in here while it's still seamless. Couple months from now and the price goes way up.
I’m taking the ‘Glo NFL thread approach, modified for F1.

Give up on the sport but occasionally toss out a turdball, in this case, in the direction of the Tifosi. It’s a time honored tradition.....

#JB17
post #22 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:

“Spokeshole”?

Get Funk and Wagnalls on the blower. We have a new addition.

#JB17
post #23 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:15 PM

Ferrari start a rival racing series against F1? What a brilliant idea! Look how well that worked out for CART and IndyCar.
Tack and gprace like this.

post #24 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Give up on the sport but occasionally toss out a turdball, in this case, in the direction of the Tifosi. It’s a time honored tradition.....
This ain't the NFL and you ain't 'Glo. Take the rest of the week off, but you better be here first thing Tuesday morning.

Get your **** together. Get it ALL together. And put it in a backpack.

All your ****.

So it’s together.

And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the **** store and sell it… Or put it in a **** museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.

Spoiler!
BGLeduc and lobosrul like this.
post #25 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Ferrari start a rival racing series against F1? What a brilliant idea! Look how well that worked out for CART and IndyCar.

Yep. Extinction Event.
post #26 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 PM

From Joes abu report:
Quote:
There has been talk of a consortium involving Red Bull Racing, McLaren, Aston Martin and Cosworth, but at the moment everything remains fluid. The first step will be to do single cylinder research with a consulting company such as Ilmor or the Austrian firm AVL, which has worked with Ferrari and others in the past to help solve the challenges that F1 presents to engine manufacturers. The theory is that each of the partners in the consortium would invest in the technology developed and would each get their own engines, allowing Red Bull to have Aston Martins, McLaren to have its own F1 V6 and Cosworth to have an engine that could be supplied to any team who wants it, much as the company used to do in F1 back in the days of the DFV.

I have a note which says “Manufacturer Meeting”, which I have not seen reported elsewhere. This was to remind me to write about a meeting that took place on Saturday between the four engine manufacturers who want to stop Liberty from pushing through its engine plans and its financial limitations, by threatening to start their own series. This is utter tosh, of course, and those of us who have been around long enough know that it is not workable. The truth is that manufacturers know it as well and so the whole thing can only be an attempt to get some concessions, rather than having to accept all that Liberty wants. I snuck up to Toto Wolff on the grid and whispered: “It won’t work,” in his ear. He looked at me, smiled and said: “It will…” so I guess he knew what I was talking about… We then had a will-won’t discussion until it got silly and some TV crew arrived to ask him another banal question.

If the manufacturers do go completely bonkers and try to do their own thing, the FIA can always switch the World Championship to Formula 2 on the basis that there aren’t enough competitors (there is a precedent, of course) and then all the F2 teams would get a chance to build their own cars or do deals with the existing people at reasonable prices. Nothing is impossible and something needs to be done to break up the financial and political power of the manufacturers.

There are lots of notes about Formula 2 teams and one that suggests that the dominant Prema will not be having Ferrari money next year, but is shopping around looking for a new team to run the programme which would be for Antonio Fuoco and Louis Deletraz, the latter apprently being a pay-driver to make the programme less costly for the Italians.
The whole we will leave and start our own series is funny. Would anyone notice Honda missing? Renault? Maybe. So it is really Merc and Ferrari. I doubt Merc would go along with a ferrari series.

Based on the above, it looks like RB, McLaren and Cosworth might have the field covered even if Merc and Ferrari left. Maybe Ford and Toyota might want to return.

post #27 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:

LOL, my approach is unique. Get your own!

Honestly, I get where you are coming from, but I think Liberty is making changes for the better. Unfortunately it will take time.
BGLeduc likes this.

post #28 of 606 Old 12-20-2017, 07:52 PM

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017...ams-situation/

According to Joe, Williams is looking for money. It looks like Sergey is bringing $22mill. Unless Kubica can bring more than he is out.

The other interesting tidbit is that Stroll is paying less next year to be in the car. I wonder how long that will last if he doesn't up his game considerably.

post #29 of 606 Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
This article is an excellent example of the realities of F1, not just now but what it has always been. Follow the money.
post #30 of 606 Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Me too!!!!!!
gwsat likes this.

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page