Forum Jump:
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member

Sonnyboy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi all. I am getting curbside delivery from Old Dominion Freight tomorrow for my new Berklines! (Thanks Roman)

Wondering something- with curbside delivery is it necessary to tip? I would definitely tip with white glove but if they just drop the chairs outside should I still give them something? I know tipping is subjective, but would like to know what others have done.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?"
Sonnyboy is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Member

SDMF's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois by way of Arizona
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had my Berkline delivered by Old Dominion last month. I had to help lift the chair (in the box) off the truck. I offered my hand-truck but he had one. We had to open the box to get the chair through the door. He had me sign the delivery receipt and said "have a good one" before I could even think about tipping the guy.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just be willing to help out if you can. Those chair boxes are big and my guy didn't have a Tommy-lift on his tractor trailer.
SDMF is offline
Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 AM
rsh
online-shashki Forum Special Member

rsh's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sonnyboy,

It is up to you. Some of the delivery guys are very nice, and I have reports from the customers, that they even helped bringing the furniture into the house, although they are not supposed to do so due to liability issues. Some of the guys do not care much and are rushing out as SDMF mentioned.

You do not have to tip the driver if you do not want to, but if you see that the guy is trying to be helpful, I would give him something as a gratitude.

Roman
rtheaters.com
FusionCollectionSeating.com
Ultimate Home Entertainment
rsh is offline

Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Member

Olevia37HD's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes unless your a conservative.
Olevia37HD is offline
Old 01-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Member

oldschl's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure what this really means, but if you were trying to be somewhat serious, maybe this might change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

Yes unless your a conservative.

oldschl is offline
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Member

Olevia37HD's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschl View Post

I'm not sure what this really means, but if you were trying to be somewhat serious, maybe this might change your mind.

You ask most people who work with the public and you will find a higher percent of the "have nots" tip. Not like the ones with a sliver spoon stuck somewhere!!!!
Olevia37HD is offline
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Neuner's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyboy View Post

Hi all. I am getting curbside delivery from Old Dominion Freight tomorrow for my new Berklines! (Thanks Roman)

Wondering something- with curbside delivery is it necessary to tip? I would definitely tip with white glove but if they just drop the chairs outside should I still give them something? I know tipping is subjective, but would like to know what others have done.

I've had several large curbside deliveries. Understand that curbside means you have to get it off of the truck. The drivers I've encountered are very nice & helpful. Since I went with curbside I had plans for friends to be there to help get it off of the truck. With my last shipment, the shipping company didn't call to schedule the delivery and they arrived a week earlier than expected. I was going to tip the driver if he was willing to help lower them to the ground, but my neighbor was home to help.

Something I need to remember to do myself...if you don't give a tip and your driver was friendly and helpful like mine, call the shipping company and compliment the driver. They may appreciate that the same if not more.
Neuner is offline
Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Member

js5752's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I haven't had curbside delivery, for furniture, so I'm not really sure how that differs. My only deliveries where I wouldn't tip are things like UPS/FedEx where they just drop it at the door. When I've had furniture or electronics delivered to my house, not setup just delivered, I've always tipped. Mind you, I don't go out to the truck to help unload the stuff, that's why I'm getting delivery. Consequently, as long as they don't break anything in the house, I always tip. It is hard work, and they do deserve a little something.

As Neuner mentioned, at least give their boss compliments to the service. That kind of stuff looks really good for the employees, and can go a long way.

Just a few thoughts...

-Jeff
js5752 is offline
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Member

Savedsol's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Windy City
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

You ask most people who work with the public and you will find a higher percent of the have nots tip. Not like the ones with a sliver spoon stuck somewhere!!!!

That's horse 'nure and so is the theory that all conservatives are well off. End of discussion. This thread is about tipping guys.

My opinion to your question is if all they did was unload it on your curb, nope. If it was white glove I'd offer them something.
Savedsol is offline
Old 01-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Member

Olevia37HD's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post

That's horse 'nure and so is the theory that all conservatives are well off. End of discussion. This thread is about tipping guys.

My opinion to your question is if all they did was unload it on your curb, nope. If it was white glove I'd offer them something.

At least a bottle of water on a hot day. I did installs and services work (on houses price from 350 thousand to well over a mill and a half) for a good number of years and I was the most tip along with the largest tiped. I can tell you some rich people couldn't even give me a bottle of water on a hot day, when I was working on there roof.
God I hope there roof leaked.
Olevia37HD is offline
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Kipp Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the online-shashki? Join us here ---> /avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! illinoiscarry.org nra.org
Kipp Jones is offline
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Member

SDMF's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois by way of Arizona
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.

lmao, This thread just got st00pid!
SDMF is offline
Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 PM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Kipp Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post

lmao, This thread just got st00pid!

Live and learn... LOL LOL

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the online-shashki? Join us here ---> /avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! illinoiscarry.org nra.org
Kipp Jones is offline
Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior Member

Olevia37HD's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.

We got your IP address so you better look out.
Olevia37HD is offline
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

R_Willis's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lebanon, OH; 45036
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tipping is getting out of hand.

Your "supposed" to tip this guy, and that gal, and this guy, blah, blah, blah.

If they don't want to work in a profession/job where they need tips, get another job.

Do you send tips to the guy at the car factory that took pride/care in making your car? NO. Do you send tips to the guy that assembled your $4k LCD projector with precision and care? NO.

Just my .02 cents.
R_Willis is offline
Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
online-shashki Forum Club Gold

Kipp Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

We got your IP address so you better look out.

Talk about stupid.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the online-shashki? Join us here ---> /avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! illinoiscarry.org nra.org
Kipp Jones is offline
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Newbie

Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by js5752 View Post
Well, I haven't had curbside delivery, for furniture, so I'm not really sure how that differs. My only deliveries where I wouldn't tip are things like UPS/FedEx where they just drop it at the door. When I've had furniture or electronics delivered to my house, not setup just delivered, I've always tipped. Mind you, I don't go out to the truck to help unload the stuff, that's why I'm getting delivery. Consequently, as long as they don't break anything in the house, I always tip. It is hard work, and they do deserve a little something.

As Neuner mentioned, at least give their boss compliments to the service. That kind of stuff looks really good for the employees, and can go a long way.

Just a few thoughts...

-Jeff
Definitely call the company to compliment - that goes a lot farther than a few bucks for a cup of coffee or brew after their shift. However, you never know when you might see those delivery guys again when you make another purchase down the road - and more often than not they will remember a house that tipped.
speakertester is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off