Forum Jump:
post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
I happened to be working on a couple of enclosures yesterday and recalled the news report talking about how easily the egg-crate foam sound insulation burned at the Club last week.

I had a bunch of scraps of some egg-crate foam left over and so I thought I would conduct an experiment to see just how easy they were to ignite. I was really surprised how fast they went up. When you hold it in a vertical position they really take off.

I know I won't be letting this stuff just lay around my shop anymore.

I'm also giving second thoughts to some of the sound control projects I had in mind for the egg-crate. Like in- line sound baffles for the HVAC and lining cabinet recesses (for speakers).

Any thoughts out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 07:33 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 324
As you have pointed out the egg crate foam is a fire hazard, so you don't want to use it around audio and video components which all too often put out their own fair share of heat. Find something else which is more flame retardant.

Moderated online-shashki Tweaks & Special Guests forums 1999-2003. My theater /avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431. Sony VPL-VW5000ES; Lumagen Radiance Pro 4446; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 2:40 14' W Snomatte; Theta CBIVA SSP; 5 Aerial 7ts; 2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers; 4 KEF Ci2000rr-THX in ceiling; 5 Theta Prometheus monoblock amps; ATI 526NT MCh amp; Theta CB IVA SSP; Sonore Signature Rendu & Berkely USB Converter (2Ch)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If one plans, or currently uses foam sound proofing materials, then make sure it is Class B rated fire retardant foam.

Most, if not all, commercial foam sold by the major players for studio and in-home use is Class B. This stuff meets all the national fire codes.

It has also been reported (just reported, not yet substantiated) that the RI foam was all sprayed with black paint. Also highly flammable.

BOK

BOK

post #4 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
Looked up a manufacturer of CLASS B foam. Here is a qoute on their web page

"CAUTION: Polyurethane foam is flammable and may emit toxic fumes when burned. Do not use near open flame. Check local
codes for allowed use. Manufacturer assumes no liability."
post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-2003, 03:32 PM

Liked: 10
No doubt soundproofing foam is against all fire codes, no matter what part of the country, for public venues.
auralex.com has some pdf files regarding their testing procudures, their ignition time, fire spread time, CA Fire code approval, etc ... some interesting reading.

The toxicity of the fumes is another matter. The Class B is a flame retardancy rating. For in -home, or recording studio use (which is the market for these acoustic foam manufacturers) is where the rating applies. They are not stating the foam will not burn. If one puts flooring carpet on his walls for acoustical treatment, the same hazards apply, the same disclaimers apply. All these materials come with their own risks when fire is present.

BOK

BOK
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2003, 04:29 AM

Liked: 12
And of course, as soon as you mount anything vertically, as on a wall, any flame/heat source will tend to propagate far more quickly due to convection carrying heat upwards to cover a greater area (while simultaneously replenishing oxygen into the source)... a far cry from a cinder lying on a carpet which tends to affect only its immediate area as it smolders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Tweaks and Do-It-Yourself

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page