Forum Jump:
Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an HD4850 graphics card with a Dell VGA monitor, and a Panasonic TH-50PX80U TV. Right now if I want to switch from the PC Monitor output to the TV monitor, I just manually switch the cables in the GPU's DVI output (I use a DVI-to-VGA adapter for the PC monitor, and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for the TV).

I want to use a DVI splitter so that I can just send signals simultaneously to both the PC and TV without having to switch them manually. Then I can just change the input on the TV to HDMI and be able to see my desktop, while the PC monitor still works. I ordered this Y splitter cable, but currently can't get it to work. Neither display shows anything.

Is there some setup step that I've neglected to do, or some other issue that I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I don't know if this experience applies to DVI, but I tried the same thing with a passive HDMI splitter and found out I needed a powered splitter to get a picture. Perhaps you have the same issue. Check Monoprice to see if they have powered DVI splitters.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The DVI and HDMI protocol are a handshaking protocol which means that every tranmission must be acknowledged back from a single destination. A DVI Y splitter is only convenient when you want are willing to disconnct the DVI cable going to the display you do not want to use.
You need a DVI distribution amplifier to send a dingle DVI signal concurently to multiple desinations. A new graphics card with 2 DVI outputs would be far less expensive solution.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I started a post with almost the exact issue. What you have to do is go with analog or digitak instead of mixing. When I went with total digital it fixed my mix my issue. I would go with with vga across the board in your case, becasue you don't seem to have the option to go digital.

tony4k
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

So if I want to mix VGA with HDMI I need something like this powered DVI splitter?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You don't have two DVI outputs on the card it's self? I would think you could run one from there to your monitor and the other output to your HDTV set.....

As long as your not trying to run too high of a resolution / refresh rate on one or the other it should work in cloned mode.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You need a KVM type device (GenFen is the first place to look). However, I agree with an earlier post, it's going to be much cheaper to get a new video card then to get an active DVI switch.

Here's the kind of thing that you will need:
http://gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3033

And, yes, the device listed above (from Monoprice) should also work (and costs about 1/4 the amount)!

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been looking into this myself and there seems to be two potentially free solutions if the issue is monitor detection and a conflict with two display EDID's bumping into each other. I have not tried either yet so can't personally vouche for them.

There is a tweak to disable the ATI monitor detection service and you would have to configure your display setting manually. I don't have a link but I've seen the tweak posted at online-shashki so shouldn't be too hard for you to dig up.

A second option is to break off pins 6 and 7 (DVI pinout chart) from the DVI cable going to either display so only one would ever be detected. I am not sure how this would work if the target display is off though, but I believe the last known EDID is cached by the driver.

In either case obviously, both displays would have to support the target resolution and refresh rate.

Please post back any results you get as I soon will be attempting this myself.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Ok, seriously... am I missing something here? He has a 4850... I haven't seen any 4850 cards with only one output.... He is trying to go to one display via VGA and one Vida HDMI.

Hook the DVI to VGA adapter in to one of the DVI ports, then hook the DVI to HDMI port to the other DVI port. Hook said VGA monitor up, and then the LCD HDTV set up. according to his TV specs it is a 720p set so going off that get to your desktop, go to the catalyst control panel and set the desktop resolution to something both the HDTV and monitor will accept and enable clone mode.

Unless I am missing something here it sounds like this thread is getting way too complicated for something that would normally be simple. Does the HDMI out just disable the other output or something?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

Ok, seriously... am I missing something here? He has a 4850... I haven't seen any 4850 cards with only one output.... He is trying to go to one display via VGA and one Vida HDMI.

lol, I read the whole thread except the first post ! nintari is 100% correct, just clone the display to vga and you're done.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

Hook the DVI to VGA adapter in to one of the DVI ports, then hook the DVI to HDMI port to the other DVI port. Hook said VGA monitor up, and then the LCD HDTV set up. according to his TV specs it is a 720p set so going off that get to your desktop, go to the catalyst control panel and set the desktop resolution to something both the HDTV and monitor will accept and enable clone mode.

Unless I am missing something here it sounds like this thread is getting way too complicated for something that would normally be simple. Does the HDMI out just disable the other output or something?

Yes indeed, you are absolutely correct, my bad

That's what I *thought* was the case, that the 2nd port was a DVI out. But I tried for minutes to put both the DVI-to-VGA and DVI-to-HDMI in there and they just wouldn't fit. Then I read in the Asus instructions that the first output was for a flat panel while the second was for a VGA monitor, so I thought I was just mistaken and was trying to use the port wrong That's when I went on this wild DVI-splitter goose chase. Turns out the instructions seem not to be specifically tailored to the HD4850.

But now that you told me I tried again. For some reason it tooks me really forcing it, but the DVI-to-HDMI adapter finally ended up fitting. And the setup works now. Thanks a lot I appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Yay for simplicity! lol
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM

We need to come up with some good "How many online-shashki members does it take to screw in a lightbulb" jokes!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

So a question - what's the purpose of the splitter I purchased? I tried the DVI splitter without mixing, just trying the PC monitor and TV by themselves (tried both in both splitter output slots). However neither ever worked. Is something wrong with the splitter, or what?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 AM

The purpoose is that with the Y splitter you do not have change the cable output connection on the back of your PC you only have to disconnect the unit not in use at the display end which may be a lot easier.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The purpoose is that with the Y splitter you do not have change the cable output connection on the back of your PC you only have to disconnect the unit not in use at the display end which may be a lot easier.

What is your point? If he simply uses the TWO interfaces on the back of his video card, he doesn't have to "dis-connect" anything. One runs to the LCD, one runs to the PC and...nothing else.

This is like...
How do you get light in a room?

The engineer says..."First you need to know the wattage and then you get a bulb of that wattage after verifying that the circuit is turned off and then you..."

The architect says "First you need to determine how big the room will be and by takign appropriate measurements you can design the most efficient lighting pattern...."

The Blonde says "You just flip the light switch dummy!"

Moral of the story... Sometimes you have to think like a "Blonde".

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 AM

I was only answering the question in post #14. In Post #3 I suggested a card with two DVI ports was a much better solution then trying to use his current card which only has one DVI port.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But the thing is, I did try disconnecting either unit and only having one at a time in the splitter. The outputs only work with direct connections, not when they're through the splitter, even one at a time.

So while I do have everything working now without the Y-splitter, I don't understand the point of it; or am wondering if it's just broken.

Quote:

I was only answering the question in post #14. In Post #3 I suggested a card with two DVI ports was a much better solution then trying to use his current card which only has one DVI port.

Actually turns out my card does have two DVI outputs, I was wrong about that So thanks to nintari pointing this out, I'm just using both outputs and cloning the display.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:13 AM

Hi Kadence, this is just to know if that y splitter ever worked for you, cause I'm stuck with the very identical y-splitter problem as you had- not even getting a single output through the splitter but without it all works fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 AM

Are you saying that with only one HDMI display connected on the output side that it does not work and you are sure sending a resoluton that will be accepted by the one device connected that the HDMI display will accept?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.ev_kant View Post

Hi Kadence, this is just to know if that y splitter ever worked for you, cause I'm stuck with the very identical y-splitter problem as you had- not even getting a single output through the splitter but without it all works fine.

No actually, the splitter never worked. Luckily it turned out I didn't need it.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

A second option is to break off pins 6 and 7 from the DVI cable going to either display so only one would ever be detected.

Please post back any results you get as I soon will be attempting this myself.

This does not work. thanks for playing and come back soon!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 PM

I tried the suggestion in Starsky's post, and can confirm that removing pins 6 and 7 works.

Scenario: I need to get two digital LCDs to mirror a display at the same resolution and refresh rate.

Solution: Remove pins 6 and 7 from one of the two DVI cables between the monitor and the Y-cable, as well as have both monitors plugged in at the same time. This will stop the 2 monitors auto-discovery from interfering with each other, as only the monitor with the pins in tact will respond to discovery requests. This setup will not work unless both monitors are connected. If only one is connected, it will not work. Of course both monitors must support the same desired resolution and refresh rate.

See Starky's post for the DVI pinout chart.

This saved my company a bunch of $$$. Cheers! -Adrian
Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I used to have my PC monitor and an HDTV connected to my PC at the same time via a VGA splitter -> DVI to VGA adapter. Having gotten a newer TV, I realized that I can get higher quality with a DVI to HDMI cable.

I just got a Y DVI splitter, basically trying to do the same thing. From the PC, it's got the DVI splitter plugged in. In the splitter is connected the DVI to HDMI cable (to HDTV), and DVI to VGA adapter -> VGA cable (to PC Monitor).

At first I thought it was broken because only one picture showed, but it seems that, for some strange reason, it will only show the first input plugged in! If I plug in the DVI to HDMI, it'll show on the HDTV, but plugging in the DVI to VGA adapter does nothing. Same with vice versa.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here, subscribed to get an advise for this exact issue. It will probably be reiterating, but here is how it goes:

I have an nVidia 8800GTX with two DVI outputs. I have one main monitor I always use and it is connected directly to one of the card's DVI outputs. That leaves one card DVI port free. I want to have my HDTV and a second monitor to be connected as well and show the same picture (Dual View setup, whatever is on the second monitor is also on the TV). I bought a DVI splitter. After connecting the splitter to the second port and DVI/HDMI TV cable to one of the splitter's outputs and DVI/DVI monitor cable to the other, I get nothing - neither of the displays is showing anything and nVidia control panel is not giving an option to have multiple displays ("forcing TV" mode does not work either).

Is there a software solution to that? If not, would the removing of pins trick work in my case? Also, which cable would you recommend removing pins from? Second monitor would always be on (along with the primary), while HDTV would only be on from time to time.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 AM

When I disconnect one of the cables (TV or Monitor), nVidia control panel does detect the second device through the DVI splitter, but the screen of the second device remains black even if I enable Dual View (or clone or whatever other mode).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement