HDTV Technical > Can I connect a Netgear USB Adapter to my new Panasonic Viera tv?
mossman813's Avatar mossman813 05:19 PM 11-27-2011
Hey guys, I know very little about this stuff so please "dumb it down" for me if possible. I have a Netgear USB Wireless Adapter lying around, model# WG111v2. I just bought a Black Friday impulse TV buy, a Panasonic Viera TC-P46X3. Is there anyway to allow this adapter to connect this TV to my wireless network? When I plug it in, it just says that a "compatible adapter is not found". Thanks so much for your help.

Tschmidt's Avatar Tschmidt 05:54 PM 11-27-2011
Per the manual you should be able to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter. From the error message sounds like the TV does not support that specific adapter. I looked through the manual and do not see a list of compatible adapters. I assume using wired Ethernet is not an option.

From pg 36 is says to select :wireless network - Given the error message my guess is that will not work but if you have not already done so give that a shot.

Most likely you will need to contact support for compatible Wi-Fi adapters.

http://*********************/ima...3%20manual.PDF
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 06:11 PM 11-27-2011
A lot of integrated tv's require you to use their own, proprietary USB WiFi adapter. You can probably buy a Panasonic adapter for about $80 or less.
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 06:28 PM 11-27-2011
It has to be a specific adapter. Panasonic has one they make, Netgear did make one that worked with Panasonics; N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter WNDA3100.

http://netgear.com/WIFITV
mossman813's Avatar mossman813 07:04 PM 11-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post

Per the manual you should be able to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter. From the error message sounds like the TV does not support that specific adapter. I looked through the manual and do not see a list of compatible adapters. I assume using wired Ethernet is not an option.

From pg 36 is says to select :wireless network - Given the error message my guess is that will not work but if you have not already done so give that a shot.

Most likely you will need to contact support for compatible Wi-Fi adapters.

Thanks for your help. I didn't know if there was a way to do something to the adapter to make it work...I can't see that link due to the stars...can you retype it please? Thanks
mossman813's Avatar mossman813 07:04 PM 11-27-2011
Thanks a lot for the other help guys, it's much appreciated. I was hoping to get away cheap...I should have known better!
mhufnagel's Avatar mhufnagel 08:20 AM 11-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

A lot of integrated tv's require you to use their own, proprietary USB WiFi adapter. You can probably buy a Panasonic adapter for about $80 or less.

Anything more than $30 for a WiFi adaptor is a ripoff. You can always find them on sale. Hell, I paid $20 for a 300mps Wireless N adaptor last spring and it works great. This is why buying a device with WiFi already built in is often a better deal. I bought a Panny BD player with WiFi built-in that was $30 more than a WiFi ready model. But the Panny adaptor was $70. I needed a wireless connection, so I actually saved money.
Up
View Full Version