Forum Jump:
Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

I'm moving into a new house and am weighing my options in terms of cable and Internet providers. I've been trying to figure out my options with Bright House, but unfortunately their website isn't clear on channel lineups, extra monthly costs, and so on. Calls to reps have left me even more confused, but before I give up, I thought I'd see if someone might be able to clarify their pricing structure and hardware requirements.

I'm looking to get Internet access, HDTV service on two televisions, and at least one DVR (I understand they don't yet offer whole-house DVR service). They advertise an Internet / TV bundle for $95 per month which includes 7 Mbps Internet service (which would be fast enough for me - I wouldn't need an upgrade to their faster services) and HD cable service. Additionally, I realize that there would be an additional $9.95 per month for a DVR.

Here are my questions. First, if I want full HD cable service available on a second TV in another room, would I need to purchase/rent another cable box, or would a single cable box work? Also, would there be an additional cost? I couldn't get a clear grasp online or over the phone of how Bright House handles service in multiple rooms. The phone rep explained that cable can be distributed throughout the house via coax (presumably like dual-tuner Dish Network receivers), but then then it seemed like they were saying that with this configuration, only SD programming would be available on the other sets throughout the house. They also seemed to imply that with a single receiver, I could have cable service on as many TVs as I wanted throughout the house. That sounded a little suspicious, and the more questions I asked the more confused I became.

Also, with HD service, what channel lineup would I receive? On the website, they have Basic, Standard, and Digital Basic categories listed (along with premium channels and packages which I assume cost extra), but there's no
clear indication of what channels are included with their HD service.

As much as I shudder at the thought of going with AT&T and U-verse, I've gotta give AT&T credit for at least having a website that clearly defines all costs, add-ons and channel lineups. The Bright House website sucks in terms of finding details and channel lineup information, and the two phone reps that I've talked to so far have left me scratching my head. When I asked one of the reps if she could break down the cost of the bundle in terms of Internet service, cable service, plus the other add-ons, she said that she couldn't do it unless she processed a transaction. Really? Bright House seems to be a convoluted mess!

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Here are my questions. First, if I want full HD cable service available on a second TV in another room, would I need to purchase/rent another cable box, or would a single cable box work?

If you want all the hd channels, then yes, you need a cable box or a dvr on every tv. You can however get QAM hd channels, normally just the locals (abc, nbc, fox, cbs) in hd, if your tv supports qam that is.

Quote:

Also, would there be an additional cost?

For the actual cable subscription? No, whatever you pay for, you pay for the whole house. You will have to pay to rent the extra cable box though.

Quote:

The phone rep explained that cable can be distributed throughout the house via coax (presumably like dual-tuner Dish Network receivers), but then then it seemed like they were saying that with this configuration, only SD programming would be available on the other sets throughout the house.

What they are saying is, they are not responsible for wiring your house with coax. When they come install, they will install your modem and one tv. After that, you are on your own. However, unless your house is very old, you should have coax in every room. And with the sd thing, they mean that unless you have a cable box in every room, you will only get sd channels on that tv.

Quote:

They also seemed to imply that with a single receiver, I could have cable service on as many TVs as I wanted throughout the house.

They are confused, as phone reps usually are. What they meant by that is, one receiver works for one tv. You cannot use one cable box with multiple tvs. But again, as long as you have coax in each room, you will get sd channels and hd qam channels.

Quote:

Also, with HD service, what channel lineup would I receive? On the website, they have Basic, Standard, and Digital Basic categories listed (along with premium channels and packages which I assume cost extra), but there's no
clear indication of what channels are included with their HD service.

That would be something they would have to answer. Although, normally with hd, you will pay for either all HD channels, or none. This is excluding the subscription channels, like HBO and Showtime. But again, that completely depends on how they offer the channels.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD View Post

I'm moving into a new house and am weighing my options in terms of cable and Internet providers. I've been trying to figure out my options with Bright House, but unfortunately their website isn't clear on channel lineups, extra monthly costs, and so on.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Since each community is different, and you fail to tell us in which community you live, I doubt many will have specific answers to your questions.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

However, unless your house is very old, you should have coax in every room.

While the rest of your post is accurate, this statement certainly isn't. Whether or not there is coax in every room has little to do with the age of the home. Most builders nowadays still just do a standard coax jack in the living room/master bed, and phone jack in the kitchen/master bed, and that's it. The only way they put jacks in the other rooms is if the buyer has then put in before the house gets past the framing stage of construction. Which most don't, unfortunately, figuring it's not worth the $100 or so per jack they charge, even though it really is. Getting it put in later is always a pain, expensive, and/or involves ugly external runs.

One thing I can say is that they do generally use better quality coax/phone than the junk they used to use frequently, although I still find recently built homes with cat3 phone wiring.

It should be federal law that contractors must use cat5 or better and tri-shield RG6 or better, and wire it up to a centralized panel with an electrical outlet. And any contractor or phone/cable/satellite/whatever employee who cuts these lines or pulls them out of the wall should be guilty of a felony.

... Sorry to hijack the thread with my little rant. >.>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement