Forum Jump:
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone noticed a "stutter" type effect on several Directv HD channels? It does not happen on every program, but for example, I was watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on FX HD today, and it was almost unwatchable. It almost looks like REALLY bad judder. If a camera pans, it will be smooth, then "clip/skip" ahead, then smooth then clip ahead. I had really noticed this mostly on TNT HD in the past, where it showed up very often. But now I see it fairly often on FX, USA and TBS, and rarely Spike. Most other channels are not effected. If I change to the SD channel, it still occurs. When it goes to a commercial, it usually stops, then starts back up again when the movie starts.

I had something similar to this, only worse, when I had a Samsung 71 tv. That set had "stutter" that happened randomly, and would go away if you turned off their AMP function,,,,obviously a tv issue. But it would still have this issue I describe above, even when AMP was turned off, which is obviously a source issue. My new tv (the Samsung 750) does not have the stutter issues of the 71, but does get these same clipping issues on certain channels and certain shows. In addition, when I look on a crt screen, I will see the same issues, so obviously this is a directv issue. I just want to make sure others see it, and if there is a fix, or do we just complain to directv?

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see this video stutter also on Spike when showing reruns of CSI. Some episodes are fine others stutter very badly. I also see it on A&E when they show reruns of CSI on every episode. "Everybody Loves Raymond" episodes on TBS also have this stutter all of the time but at a more tolerable rate. Since commercials NEVER have video stutter I am led to believe that it is not DirecTv's problem but rather the channels themselves. I have a strong feeling they are using some sort of time compression which speeds the programs up (they then pitch down the audio so it sounds normal) so they can fit in more commercials. I see this effect quite often on TV Land when they run older programs. When the shows stutter like this I simply switch channels and find something else to watch. It is VERY annoying to say the least.

R. B.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc View Post

I see this video stutter also on Spike when showing reruns of CSI. Some episodes are fine others stutter very badly. I also see it on A&E when they show reruns of CSI on every episode. "Everybody Loves Raymond" episodes on TBS also have this stutter all of the time but at a more tolerable rate. Since commercials NEVER have video stutter I am led to believe that it is not DirecTv's problem but rather the channels themselves. I have a strong feeling they are using some sort of time compression which speeds the programs up (they then pitch down the audio so it sounds normal) so they can fit in more commercials. I see this effect quite often on TV Land when they run older programs. When the shows stutter like this I simply switch channels and find something else to watch. It is VERY annoying to say the least.

Thanks for the Info. May I ask what tv you have?

post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

noone else notice these issues?

post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by studdad View Post

Thanks for the Info. May I ask what tv you have?

I have a 6 month old Sony LCD set and an older Samsung crt set. I see the issues on both sets. The issues are present no matter what the connection type.

R. B.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2008, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Not clear from OP if this only involves D*'s HDLite MPEG-2 channels (1280X1080i), but if so some earlier posts have mentioned that, besides downrezzing 1920X1080i, HDLite also tinkers with the MPEG-2 encoding...fewer B or I frames (?). Anyway, that contributes to artifacting and reduced PQ. Can't locate the post URL I'd filed, but it may have been hdtvfanatic (hdfanatic?) 1--2 years back that detailed what happens. -- John
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Not clear from OP if this only involves D*'s HDLite MPEG-2 channels (1280X1080i), but if so some earlier posts have mentioned that, besides downrezzing 1920X1080i, HDLite also tinkers with the MPEG-2 encoding...fewer B or I frames (?). Anyway, that contributes to artifacting and reduced PQ. Can't locate the post URL I'd filed, but it may have been hdtvfanatic (hdfanatic?) 1--2 years back that detailed what happens. -- John

Thanks, but no, it is the newer MPEG-4.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc View Post

I have a 6 month old Sony LCD set and an older Samsung crt set. I see the issues on both sets. The issues are present no matter what the connection type.

Ok, thanks. I can't believe people are not complaining about this.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I see those issues too on the channels you mention (especially TNT), and Bravo, but no others. I have an HR20-700 with a 750GB external drive attached, a Yamaha RX5700 (I think that's the model) receiver, which the video goes through, and a Mitsubishi 73" TV (2007 model)--the audio/video is connected via HDMI to and from the receiver. I also see this on other TVs/receivers (all HR20s) in the house, which makes me think it's signal--either mine, or source--not just this equipment.

We have strong signal strength with a 5 LNB dish.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Just heard about DIRECTV's dispute with the FX channel. I love watching Sons of Anarchy and subscribing to DISH I can continue to watch it. I wouldn't be too happy to hear this if I was a DIRECTV customer. Working for DISH I can tell you I will still get to watch FX shows a long time coming since DISH has a long-term contract.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page