3Likes
Old 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool Vizio sb4051-co review

Dear Fellow online-shashki Members,

I've gotten so much good information off of this site so I just wanted to return the favor for anyone who may have questions about Vizio's new line of Sound Bars. I'll do a quick review but feel free to ask any questions if you want.

Ok, well my wife and I purchased a new house and since we installed hardwood floors along with lots of windows, a traditional 5.1 system was not going to happen. I had a traditional 5.1 system that I had purchased years ago and loved it but it would not be practical in our new house. So, like lots of people, I started doing research on sound bars and that usually led to more questions than answers. After MONTHS of research, I was leaning towards either the Bose 1SR or Definitive Technology SoloCinema sound bars. I got to hear the Bose at a friend's house and LOVED it. Definitely worth the $$$. However, I liked the design of the DT SoloCinema but it had very few reviews and some of those reviews were questionable on the reliability of the unit. Last thing I wanted was to go thru the hassle of purchasing and installing (wall mounted) only to have to take it down and ship it back. During my time deciding on these two bars, I noticed Vizio released their new line of sound bars. The new bar looks EXACTLY like the DT SoloCinema so I decided "What the heck, I'll go to Costco try it out and take it back if it doesn't pan out". Safe to say I was very impressed with the sound. Ok, now more on the unit:
OVERALL IMPRESSION:
This unit is a nice unit. Design wise, it looks beautiful. Speakers all look to be high quality and good build. I wall mounted the unit and fired it right up (using optical cable for surround sound) and everything connected automatically. The sound right out of the box is good but if you tweak it, it only gets better. As many reviews have said, the bass is TOO high out of the box so it will most likely need to be adjusted. I use the movies The Matrix, Top Gun, Bad Boys II, and Mortal Kombat as my movies to test out surround sound systems. The stock bass settings were good for these movies but when I turned on just regular cable, the bass was easily heard on commercials and got annoying. Just keep in mind that once you adjust the bass, it will work much better. Also remember that the bass Volume AND Bass Level need to be adjusted. I think some people only adjust one and not the other and find the bass is still too loud. The sound bar itself delivers great sound and crystal clear dialogue (which is very important to us). The only thing lacking in this system is the rear surrounds. I played the movies mentioned earlier and no matter how much I tried to tweak things, they are just puny. The only time I could really hear sound coming from them is when I put them basically about 3 feet away from my head. I don't think I could hook another type of speakers up to the subwoofer but I may try just to see IF I can get better sound. Know what I know now, I may have just been better off with the Vizio SB3821W-C6 sound bar which is basically the same size as this one (38 inches shorter vs 40 inches) and is a 2.1 system and $100 cheaper at Costco.
SOUND: As I stated earlier, the sound from this system is really good. While it won't offer earth shattering sound, it does fill the room with lots of sound and really puts you in the movie. My older 5.1 system would easily blow this out of the water but I also spent about $1,500+ on all the speakers as well so its not a fair comparison. I turned these movies up LOUD and there was no distortion on the speakers what-so-ever. The bass is nice and punchy but can be overwhelming if you don't tweak the settings. Rear surround speakers are lacking HEAVILY so don't expect too much rear sound in movies, especially since the bass will drown them out.
CONCLUSION:
I HIGHLY recommend this system for anyone who is looking to either: #1 ) improve the sound over their tv. This will really make the movies come alive and sounds leaps and bounds better than the tiny flat screen speakers #2 ). Want the benefit of a 5.1 system without breaking the bank and getting a more expensive unit or running hidden wires to get a traditional 5.1 system. This unit is not obviously going to sound as good as my friend's Bose system but it sounds very damn good and also costs about $1,200 less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Totally agree love these speakers. Sounds way better than my mid range 5.1 setup that I spent about 600 bucks on. This system I spent 279 on it and I don't have wires running all over the place. Very pleased with these speakers
Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Vizio Sound Bar SB4051-C0 Settings

Just curious if anyone has optimal sound settings for their sound bar. I thought the sound bar would be a little more plug and play but what I noticed is that the settings on your tv play a big role on how this hdmi sound bar sounds.
I own a 70 inch tv and recently got the vizio 5.1 soundbar. See models below.
Vizio 70_E701iA3
Vizio SB4051-C0 40
After running the Vizio soundbar for a week or two. I noticed the surround speakers were not really sending out any sound we could hear. So I started to look into My Vizio TV settings and changed my audio on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. That made a huge difference and now the surround speakers are being activated often. That made me look at many other audio selection in the Vizio TV and realized that there has to be optimal settings for the two devices to work in harmony with each other.
There is a note in the Vizio TV that says Bitstream must be selected for audio more than 3 channels when I set it to Bitstream the surround sound speakers are so low I can't hear them. The PCM makes them nice and loud. So that note in the Vizio TV documentation is confusing since the soundbar is 5.1
For example, the TV has a surround sound setting. Should I have that on or off because isn't that what the Soundbar is doing? Another Example on the TV should the Analog Audio out be set to fix or variable.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:37 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCuban2002 View Post
Just curious if anyone has optimal sound settings for their sound bar. I thought the sound bar would be a little more plug and play but what I noticed is that the settings on your tv play a big role on how this hdmi sound bar sounds.
Vizio 70_E701iA3
Vizio SB4051-C0 40

The SB4051-CO and the SB3851-CO are similar 2015 models, I suggest you read and post to that thread which is active. Also try the Vizio E series TV thread. Learning to properly use these features will take some reading & posting. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I had this soundbar system and returned it.

My review is posted somewhere on this site.

Essentially, it does a great job in surround mode. I liked it for watching movies.

My issues with it though are:
1) The subwoofer drones, as in it never stops making noise even when it should be quiet. You can turn it down but it still does it.
2) The subwoofer is very fat and is hard to put in discrete locations.
3) The remote control is terrible. You cannot change any settings in the dark as there is no backlight on the screen. Also, the remote must be pointed at the tv to change settings but you innately want to raise the remote vertically to read the screen. Also, there is no dedicated switch to Bluetooth button. Very annoying remote to use.
4) Music mode was the dealbreaker. Music sounds terrible coming through this surround system. Simpler music such as a flute or vocal track sounds ok, but when you add in a variety of instruments the music seems to fade in and out. It is as if the speakers get confused about what they are supposed to do. This issue has been much discussed about the product and to my knowledge there is no remedy. You can turn off the surround speakers and that will lessen the issue but it is still present. Contacting Vizio customer service resulted in them saying they have no knowledge of the issue. If you look around the internet though, the issue is well documented.

Between the remote, the drone, and the music fade issue I gave up.
Spock1234 likes this.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
I had this soundbar system and returned it.

My review is posted somewhere on this site.

Essentially, it does a great job in surround mode. I liked it for watching movies.

My issues with it though are:
1) The subwoofer drones, as in it never stops making noise even when it should be quiet. You can turn it down but it still does it.
2) The subwoofer is very fat and is hard to put in discrete locations.
3) The remote control is terrible. You cannot change any settings in the dark as there is no backlight on the screen. Also, the remote must be pointed at the tv to change settings but you innately want to raise the remote vertically to read the screen. Also, there is no dedicated switch to Bluetooth button. Very annoying remote to use.
4) Music mode was the dealbreaker. Music sounds terrible coming through this surround system. Simpler music such as a flute or vocal track sounds ok, but when you add in a variety of instruments the music seems to fade in and out. It is as if the speakers get confused about what they are supposed to do. This issue has been much discussed about the product and to my knowledge there is no remedy. You can turn off the surround speakers and that will lessen the issue but it is still present. Contacting Vizio customer service resulted in them saying they have no knowledge of the issue. If you look around the internet though, the issue is well documented.

Between the remote, the drone, and the music fade issue I gave up.

What did you end up getting?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Going into the purchase my opinion of Vizio was that they make a great product for the price but with the lower price comes a few compromises. Somewhat of the Hyundai of the TV and stereo world, you will get a lot of the features of a higher line car but not the looks, customer service, or the fit and finish. My experience with Vizio reinforced this opinion, especially the customer service side.

As a result, I ran away from budget soundbars and looked at the higher line products such as Harman/Kardon, Sonos, Denon, JBL, and Sony. I was almost sold on some higher end Sony soundbars, in fact they have a new soundbar coming out called the RT5 that is very similar in design and setup to the Vizio 4051. Ultimately, I took other factors into consideration as well. I wanted to do the whole home audio thing, and wanted my soundbar to be part of it. Sony is working on this but their system just isn't ready, the same with a few other companies. Samsung, Denon, and Sonos are the only functional contenders in this market. After listening to all three and reading about their Apps and speaker lineups, it was a two horse race between Sonos and Denon. Sonos considers themselves a software company that makes speakers. Denon considers themselves a stereo company that makes software. It should be no surprise then that Sonos' strong suit is their software and Denon's strong suit is their hardware. Both work very well but sound quality won out so I got Denon's new HEOS Home Cinema soundbar and subwoofer combo. It sounds great. It was almost triple the price of the Vizio but it was worth it. The Sonos soundbar is great as well, but their smaller whole home audio speakers just don't sound as good as the Denon.
elsonium likes this.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Going into the purchase my opinion of Vizio was that they make a great product for the price but with the lower price comes a few compromises. Somewhat of the Hyundai of the TV and stereo world, you will get a lot of the features of a higher line car but not the looks, customer service, or the fit and finish. My experience with Vizio reinforced this opinion, especially the customer service side.

As a result, I ran away from budget soundbars and looked at the higher line products such as Harman/Kardon, Sonos, Denon, JBL, and Sony. I was almost sold on some higher end Sony soundbars, in fact they have a new soundbar coming out called the RT5 that is very similar in design and setup to the Vizio 4051. Ultimately, I took other factors into consideration as well. I wanted to do the whole home audio thing, and wanted my soundbar to be part of it. Sony is working on this but their system just isn't ready, the same with a few other companies. Samsung, Denon, and Sonos are the only functional contenders in this market. After listening to all three and reading about their Apps and speaker lineups, it was a two horse race between Sonos and Denon. Sonos considers themselves a software company that makes speakers. Denon considers themselves a stereo company that makes software. It should be no surprise then that Sonos' strong suit is their software and Denon's strong suit is their hardware. Both work very well but sound quality won out so I got Denon's new HEOS Home Cinema soundbar and subwoofer combo. It sounds great. It was almost triple the price of the Vizio but it was worth it. The Sonos soundbar is great as well, but their smaller whole home audio speakers just don't sound as good as the Denon.

Currently I have PS-PB23W Andrew Jones soundbar. It's just ok.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I only just set up my SB4051, so these are initial impressions more than a full review:

-This is aesthetically a very nice system, especially for the price point. The brushed aluminum caps and matte black perforated metal grilles look slick and substantial, while the size of the speakers remains unobtrusive. The sub seems tiny, and easily hidden in a corner of my room (I'm coming off a system w/ an 8" ported sub at least 2x the size of this one, so YMMV).

-The sound is surprisingly good, as someone coming from a component AVR/speaker system. The default balance is a little odd (sub, rears running too hot/loud), but once the levels are adjusted it provides a very enjoyable, true 5.1 surround experience. The sub crossover point is a little high (and not adjustable), which I think is why the subwoofer is so engaged all the time (as others have noted) - certainly a consequence of the small 'full-range' main drivers. The soundstage is only so wide with 40" to play with, but it is enough to get channel separation and hear sounds "pan" across the screen, even if it doesn't throw a soundstage across the whole room. But boy, it doesn't get any easier than this to get real 5.1 in a room.

-Connectivity options are decent on the 40" model with its HDMI support, although I'm not using ARC.

-The remote/functions are not great. There are no direct input selections; you must scroll through the 6 inputs by repeatedly pushing 'input' until you get to the one you want. Same for all the menu functions, which require scrolling up and down to access any adjustments/features. Unfortunately, the system doesn't appear to support direct commands for these features at all, so programming functions beyond volume control for a universal remote looks difficult at best. You really need the one-line display on the factory remote to understand what you're adjusting anyway, so keep the included remote handy, even if you program the soundbar to use another remote.

Bottom line: this is exactly what I needed for my multi-use family room space in order to have surround sound while accommodating other members of the family. What compromises are present are more than made up for by the sound and the simplicity of the system.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, I took delivery of this vizio sound bar yesterday and have done a basic setup. So far it produces sound that is more than acceptable for my ears but I am having a small problem with it. My xbox one is my media center, everything runs from it or through it and I have it connected to the hdmi in but when powering on the sound bar, I always have to cycle through the inputs and come back around to hdmi before I can get any sound. Does anyone know if this is standard behavior or if I need to adjust a setting on either the sound bar or the xbox? I checked the manual for hooking up to hdmi in and it directs to the advanced setup but that section actually provides no information on anything at all.
I suppose I can run an optical cable from the xbox to the sound bar and the hdmi directly to the tv......
Old 08-07-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa-Yoo View Post
So, I took delivery of this vizio sound bar yesterday and have done a basic setup. So far it produces sound that is more than acceptable for my ears but I am having a small problem with it... I always have to cycle through the inputs and come back around to hdmi before I can get any sound.
Are you sure it is not the ECO power delay? Rather than cycling inputs try waiting a couple of seconds then adjusting the bar's volume. Just an idea.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Are you sure it is not the ECO power delay? Rather than cycling inputs try waiting a couple of seconds then adjusting the bar's volume. Just an idea.
I have no idea why but its working perfectly fine now, it even turns off when the tv turns off now, something it wouldn't do before. I tried to replicate the issue 4 or 5 times today and couldn't get it to behave like it did before. Oh well, I'll count my lucky stars and carry on.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it feasible to mount this soundbar from the bottom of a shelf that's over the TV? Or do the brackets that come with it only support mounting flush to a wall? I suppose brackets could be modified, or possibly put L-brackets on the bottom of the shelf and then mount the soundbar to those?
Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-18-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCuban2002 View Post
Vizio 70_E701iA3
Vizio SB4051-C0 40
After running the Vizio soundbar for a week or two. I noticed the surround speakers were not really sending out any sound we could hear. So I started to look into My Vizio TV settings and changed my audio on the TV from Bitstream to PCM. That made a huge difference and now the surround speakers are being activated often. That made me look at many other audio selection in the Vizio TV and realized that there has to be optimal settings for the two devices to work in harmony with each other.
There is a note in the Vizio TV that says Bitstream must be selected for audio more than 3 channels when I set it to Bitstream the surround sound speakers are so low I can't hear them. The PCM makes them nice and loud. So that note in the Vizio TV documentation is confusing since the soundbar is 5.1
For example, the TV has a surround sound setting. Should I have that on or off because isn't that what the Soundbar is doing? Another Example on the TV should the Analog Audio out be set to fix or variable.

The reason you are hearing sound all of the time with PCM is that is playing two channel audio via the rear speakers whenever there is content. When you select bit-stream, you are hearing the rear speakers only when there is 5-channel content (which is probably not very often). However, when there is content, it is there to enhance the front channels, not simply to have noise coming from the rear. If you have the soundbar connected via HDMI, the analog audio settings have no bearing. As to the TV's surround settings, once you change the TV to Bit-stream you are using the settings on the sound bar and not the TV. If you use PCM you are probably using the TV's surround settings which are enhanced two-channel audio to simulate surround.

David

David Freeman
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaa-Yoo View Post
So, I took delivery of this vizio sound bar yesterday and have done a basic setup. So far it produces sound that is more than acceptable for my ears but I am having a small problem with it. My xbox one is my media center, everything runs from it or through it and I have it connected to the hdmi in but when powering on the sound bar, I always have to cycle through the inputs and come back around to hdmi before I can get any sound. Does anyone know if this is standard behavior or if I need to adjust a setting on either the sound bar or the xbox? I checked the manual for hooking up to hdmi in and it directs to the advanced setup but that section actually provides no information on anything at all.
I suppose I can run an optical cable from the xbox to the sound bar and the hdmi directly to the tv......
I'm having a very similar issue with mine! I've had it installed for about 3 weeks now and I have all kinds of weird issues. I have my PS4 as the source going to the HDMI input, then the HDMI output going to an Optoma projector. Sometimes, if I'm watching Netflix then go to the PS4 home screen I lose audio. It also happens when switching from a game to the home screen or to Netflix. I can sometimes fix it by cycling through the inputs but often the only fix is to shut off the soundbar, count to 10 and turn it back on. I'm going to open a ticket with Vizio.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Well update on my issue. Vizio gave me a generic reply that I should factory reset the bar. I did it and tried to watch Interstellar Blu Ray last night. Weird issue... I got background music and sound effects but no dialog.

I remembered reading a review on Cnet where they had HDMI issues so they used the Optical instead. I connected the optical output of my PS4 to the input of the soundbar, then changed the default audio output on the PS4 to match. Lastly I set the soundbar input to Optical and viola! I have great sound. That sucks! My cable box has no optical output, only HDMI! I sent that back to Vizio and we'll see what happens.
elsonium likes this.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Hey guys, thinking about getting this sound bar. I have a 13.5' x 8.5' area. Debating on getting the Vizio SB-4051 soundbar, or if I want to get a 5.1 HTIB. The HTIB can be seen here, my budget is $400 and found an open box at bestbuy for $320, so roughly same price as the Vizio soundbar. What do you guys think I should do? Will the sound bar be god enough for me or should i get a HTIB? How do you guys like the soundbar?

HTIB:
http://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00V9Z...888WYSWSSA8B2F

Here are some pictures of the room...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: image_1441886916328.jpg
Views: 4559
Size: 134.9 KB
ID: 933266 Click image for larger version

Name: image_1441886953625.jpg
Views: 3827
Size: 87.8 KB
ID: 933274 Click image for larger version

Name: image_1441886995892.jpg
Views: 3207
Size: 88.8 KB
ID: 933282
Old 10-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another question about this bar for current owners to help us shoppers. Do the rear left and right channels bleed into each other like on the older Vizio 5.1 Soundbar? Or do two true distinct channels get sent to the rears on this newer set?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question for those that have this soundbar, as it's one I'm considering buying. Does the soundbar have a headphones jack so that audio can be listened to through headphones at night, for example?

Old 10-15-2015, 05:51 AM

Smile Vizio SB4051-CO HDMI connection issue with my Benq projector?

Hello, I am having issue with my newly purchased Vizio SB4051-CO soundbar connecting it to my Benq HT1085ST projector using the HDMI port. I connected my BD player to soundar HDMI input (5), then connected the HDMI output (ARC-6) of my soundbar to my projector. There is a video signal from BD player to projector but no audio signal going back to the soundbar even though I set HDMI (6) in the remote control of the soundbar. There is a distorted noise coming from the internal speaker of the projector which can be muted or turn down using the projector remote control.
I tried to resolve the issue by connecting the BD player directly to projector then use the RCA audio output of the projector and connected it to the soundbar and it works fine. What I really want is to use the HDMI ports to maximized sound quality.
Is this a compatibility issue between my soundbar and projector? Can someone enlighten me with this issue. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have read that quite a few people have had trouble with the HDMI input on this soundbar, including the review article on Cnet and I have been having problems with it as well. I wanted to share my findings and also see if anybody has found any solutions yet. I have my PS3 hooked up to the HDMI input and for a long time the sound was very inconsistent with the games I played and movies I watched. The major problems included the soundbar randomly "freezing" where I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get any video and sound, there randomly not being any system sounds and then during games or movies not being able to hear voices. So presumably the center channel wasn't outputting although it always tested fine when I did the speaker output test while playing a game or watching a movie. Finally, in one of the games I was playing it gave options for sound settings that included "Default", "Dolby 5.1", "DTS 5.1", and LPCM. I also made sure that all of these were enabled in my audio settings for my PS3. When I tried DTS, I got no sound period. When I tried LPCM, I got the problem of not being able to hear voices at all. When I tried Dolby 5.1 it sounded what I'm pretty sure is exactly like it's supposed to sound when accurately outputting Dolby 5.1. The default setting did the same thing as the LPCM setting, which I suppose means that it was defaulting to LPCM, which under normal circumstances I believe should give the most accurate sound output but apparently the HDMI input is not able to decode it properly.

My conclusion from this is that in its current state, the HDMI input only decodes Dolby 5.1 true surround sound, which is an issue that needs to be fixed. I assume that the optical input supports all of the formats mentioned but I don't have any means to test it currently because I don't have an optical cable long enough to reach from my PS3 to the soundbar and even if I did, I would rather use the direct HDMI input because I have the optical running from my TVs output. So my temporary solution is that I'm forcing my PS3 to only output Dolby 5.1, other Dolby multi-channel options and stereo options. Thus far, all of the problems have been remedied including the the soundbar not "freezing" any. However, this is obviously not an ideal option since many games and movies sound better in DTS surround and some movies only support DTS surround or they'll default to stereo. I haven't talked to Vizio support yet mainly because whoever I talk to will probably have no clue what I'm talking about but I'm still going to try calling in the next couple of days. If I actually do find out anything useful, I'll post it but if anybody else has fiddled around and found a solution, please let me know.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanusDS View Post
...if anybody else has fiddled around and found a solution, please let me know.
I don't have a solution, but there are a lot of similar posts in this thread (even though the title suggests a different model):
Vizio SB3851-C0 38-Inch 5.1
Old 12-01-2015, 04:56 PM

Hey all

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to sound. I was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I have the SB4051-C0 connected to my Vizio M60-C3. I got them both in July and convinced myself that everything was fine....I tried to tell myself that it sounded ok and I didn't have buyers remorse.

Well, on Saturday my friends came over to watch Star Wars and everyone was complaining how it was very very difficult to understand dialogue during actions scenes where music and fx are very loud. Essentially they felt the mix was off and the dialogue was being overpowered by music/fx. When it was a quiet talking heads scene it was fine, but as soon as music and fx get involved they really drown out the dialogue.

Can anyone help me optimize the settings? My set up is as follows:

Cable Box, PS3, PS4, Wii U all HDMI into the TV. Then optical from the TV to the Sound Bar. I called Vizio and they suggested a factory reset but that didn't really help. Please help!!!! I beg of you!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Is the SB4051 capable of outputting video through the ARC?

So if I connect a device to the soundbar directly and output video from the sound bar to the TV, will it work?

On another level, what about 4k video? My TV only has one HDMI which can handle 4k\60 and it is not the arc hdmi.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 AM

Rear Speaker Cables?

Does anyone know if the rear speaker cables are just standard RCA or anything special? I'm looking to create a splice in the wires such that I can fit them through the hole in my speaker stands. Also look for a flatter connector. Figured I'd see what wires I can find on the interwebs first.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfinalheavenx View Post
Is the SB4051 capable of outputting video through the ARC?

So if I connect a device to the soundbar directly and output video from the sound bar to the TV, will it work?

On another level, what about 4k video? My TV only has one HDMI which can handle 4k\60 and it is not the arc hdmi.
The video passthrough definitely works, but I've had some slight glitches with CEC and Apple TV, where it takes a while for the input-switching to work. Manually switching inputs works more reliably.

No idea about 4k.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan49 View Post
Another question about this bar for current owners to help us shoppers. Do the rear left and right channels bleed into each other like on the older Vizio 5.1 Soundbar? Or do two true distinct channels get sent to the rears on this newer set?
I've found that the separation on the rears is not 100% When the test says it's playing out of the left rear speaker, it is definitely stronger on the left rear, but the right speaker is playing a little bit too.

This was with a free surround sound app on the Apple TV store. Would happily test something else if you provide a source.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupergenius View Post
Does anyone know if the rear speaker cables are just standard RCA or anything special? I'm looking to create a splice in the wires such that I can fit them through the hole in my speaker stands. Also look for a flatter connector. Figured I'd see what wires I can find on the interwebs first.
Regular RCA. Remember which is which though since one is positive and one negative.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonium View Post
I've found that the separation on the rears is not 100% When the test says it's playing out of the left rear speaker, it is definitely stronger on the left rear, but the right speaker is playing a little bit too.

This was with a free surround sound app on the Apple TV store. Would happily test something else if you provide a source.

There is a surround test built into the menu, when I ran that, I did not detect anything coming from the opposite side when it ran the white noise to each rear.

I just picked this unit up this past weekend and I am still playing with it to decide if I really like it enough to keep it. So far its been pretty good for football and I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness last night, it sounded pretty good although I did notice the sub a lot, very "boomy" during the football game, noticeable but less so for the movie. I just haven't had the opportunity to really turn it up.

It sounds infinitely better than the tv speakers and not as good as the Pioneer Elite/Boston Acoustics 5.1 system I had before. I am hoping it works out but if not I will return and go with a Denon Heos, Bose Soundtouch or the soon to be released (hopefully) Polk wireless 5.1 setup.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 PM

For anyone looking to purchase this soundbar, I made a post describing and showing some audio issues: Vizio SB3851-C0 38-Inch 5.1

I didn't get a chance to record the SB3851, but they both drop audio in identical ways (Optical on the 38, HDMI on the 40).

If the problem would be fixed this sound bar would be a great value. As it is, I'm looking to get a Sony HT-RT5 to replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement