Forum Jump:
8Likes
Old 01-16-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What ever happened to the affordable Technics SL 1200 MK2 Turntable?

I've been out of the game a little while (having kids and all - and kids and expensive electronics DO NOT MIX). Back in 2008 you could buy one of these beauties for about $500. Now, it seems like they have been discontinued? WTF? The only thing I could tell is Technics has a 1200GAE version as a replacement, but that is 4K...What happened to this fantastic product? With the resurgence of vinyl lately, it seems like Technics would have made a killing off these. I just don't understand what happened...

Anyway, what seems to be the best bang for the buck in the $500-$1000 range for a TT? Also what cartridge boasts the same bang for the buck? I remember 8-10 years ago it was the aforementioned turntable with a Shure M97xE. couldn't beat that combo for $600. Anything out there that comes close?

Thanks,

"Reckon I get me some fried po'taters mmm hmmm"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 2573
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioBeer View Post
I've been out of the game a little while (having kids and all - and kids and expensive electronics DO NOT MIX). Back in 2008 you could buy one of these beauties for about $500. Now, it seems like they have been discontinued? WTF? The only thing I could tell is Technics has a 1200GAE version as a replacement, but that is 4K...What happened to this fantastic product? With the resurgence of vinyl lately, it seems like Technics would have made a killing off these. I just don't understand what happened...

Anyway, what seems to be the best bang for the buck in the $500-$1000 range for a TT? Also what cartridge boasts the same bang for the buck? I remember 8-10 years ago it was the aforementioned turntable with a Shure M97xE. couldn't beat that combo for $600. Anything out there that comes close?

Thanks,
3 turntables come to mind the VPI Nomad, this has a built in phono and headphone jack. Music Direct is selling it for $699. Also comes w/a Ortofon 2M Red. The Rega RP3 which is on sale and comes w/the excellent RB-303 tonearm. At the $1000 range the Project Classic, comes w/a Ortofon 2M silver cart. W/both the Rega & Project you'll have to add a phono. Lounge Audio for $300 is excellent.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I follow closely choices of Guitar Center for various equipment, and noticed that their most popular DJ turntables include Pioneer and Stanton, with some nice direct drive turntables. Some of these are at least comparable with my trusty SL1200mk2, and would have looked at those if it weren't for my Technics.
As for the cartridge, I recently replaced the Shure M97xE I had with the AT-120EB and was very happy with the change, as I find it has opened up the sound a little bit on music that I typically listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
^^ All of which are crappy belt drives that lack the pitch stability of the Technics DD motor.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
In truth, I have not looked closely to any of those, just saw some in store and looked as good if not fancier than my own turntable. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
^^ All of which are crappy belt drives that lack the pitch stability of the Technics DD motor.
How much pitch variation can you hear? Second a separate motor attached by a belt to a platter mounted on an inert plinth through a high quality bearing is about as isolated as it gets. Certainly better than an integrated motor directly driving the platter. I'm sure high end direct drive tt's are great but this Technics is not a high end tt despite it's high value.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 471
The SL-1200 was a great turntable and built like a tank. You can still find good used ones but they too are not cheap. There are other direct drive Technics available used that are fine TTs and cost a lot less. What you buy depends on your needs and taste.

If you want something close that is new, a couple options come to mind
https://numark.com/product/tt250usb
http://audio-technica.com/cms/tu...f30b3a8662772/
Thay are both knock off copies of the 1200. They may not be as sturdy, but reviews are decent and should work for normal service.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
How much pitch variation can you hear?
It doesn't take much for it to be audible to me. My late missus was even worse. When I brought my first LP12 into the house, she asked me to remove it because she hated the poor pitch stability so much, and the later Gyro was better, but it still bothered her.

Quote:
Second a separate motor attached by a belt to a platter mounted on an inert plinth through a high quality bearing is about as isolated as it gets.
The belt acts like a spring with poor damping. Isolated, it is not.
Belt drives are common because it is much easier and cheaper to add an external motor driven via a belt than design and build a motor system like the SP10/SL1200. Andy Payor, an engineer I have enormous respect for, took a clean sheet of paper and designed the best TT he could; no belt drive there. Same with the best of the Japanese TT's the Nakamichi Dragon.

Quote:
Certainly better than an integrated motor directly driving the platter.
Not true. I've yet to see a BD TT that can better the W&F of my SP10. The SL1200 is almost as good in this regard.

Quote:
I'm sure high end direct drive tt's are great but this Technics is not a high end tt despite it's high value.
'High-end' to me means vastly overpriced for it's performance. The SLs were such good value back in the day, because they were built in quantity in Japan.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
IIRC aging tooling and a growing lack of certain critical analog components used in the production of these turntables led to them being discontinued in 2010.

The 1200GAE appeared just last year in response to demands that the 1200 be brought back, and supposedly this is the price point that made it viable to do so. The $500 early-2000's price tag on the original 1200 was a result of trickle-down economics from nearly 30 years of continuous production that allowed Panasonic to spread the cost of development out over a long production lifetime and a huge number of units shipped. With the 1200GAE targeting a much smaller market, the price (according to Panasonic) is reflective of that. It's what it cost to bring an updated SL-1200 back to market.

Personally I don't see my SL-1210MK2 going out anytime soon.
PioBeer likes this.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Grey View Post
IIRC aging tooling and a growing lack of certain critical analog components used in the production of these turntables led to them being discontinued in 2010.

The 1200GAE appeared just last year in response to demands that the 1200 be brought back, and supposedly this is the price point that made it viable to do so. The $500 early-2000's price tag on the original 1200 was a result of trickle-down economics from nearly 30 years of continuous production that allowed Panasonic to spread the cost of development out over a long production lifetime and a huge number of units shipped. With the 1200GAE targeting a much smaller market, the price (according to Panasonic) is reflective of that. It's what it cost to bring an updated SL-1200 back to market.

Personally I don't see my SL-1210MK2 going out anytime soon.
I could never be happier that I bought my two SL-1210s back in 1998.... they are both still in pristine condition although I should mention as well that they spent near 95% of life time in storage between 1999 till 2010 due to career, divorce(s), children and quite of number of relocation...
Old 01-17-2017, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I won't get into the endless debates about whether the SL-1200MKII is a HiFi or DJ deck, what it costs then vs. now, etc. but I am sure no one can deny the quality of its build. After all, how many other TT's are still operating flawlessly after 30 years? Here is a video as to the craftsmanship put into the new Technics SL-1200GAE...

Don't know about you, but after watching this it makes the 4K price tag look a bit more palatable. I sure these new TT's will still be spinning 30 years from now like its ancestors.

And Technics has now launched the SL-1200GR that is still built in Japan and will be 2 grand. This puts it right in the sweet spot of the higher end new TT market especially for those wanting a quality direct drive turntable.
PioBeer likes this.

Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo BDP-103, Simaudio Moon 100D DAC
VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue and Simaudio Moon 110LP, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa and Pro-ject Phono Box S
Dynaudio Focus 260's, Rel T-1 and a Panasonic TC-P54S1.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post
And Technics has now launched the SL-1200GR that is still built in Japan and will be 2 grand. This puts it right in the sweet spot of the higher end new TT market especially for those wanting a quality direct drive turntable.
I am really tempted to get the new 1200GR when available. Given that a half-decent 1200 wannabe turntable or an used one (in good condition) is closed to halfway to the rumored MSRP of $2K, might as well bite the bullet.

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
Old 01-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
It doesn't take much for it to be audible to me. My late missus was even worse. When I brought my first LP12 into the house, she asked me to remove it because she hated the poor pitch stability so much, and the later Gyro was better, but it still bothered her.

The belt acts like a spring with poor damping. Isolated, it is not.
Belt drives are common because it is much easier and cheaper to add an external motor driven via a belt than design and build a motor system like the SP10/SL1200. Andy Payor, an engineer I have enormous respect for, took a clean sheet of paper and designed the best TT he could; no belt drive there. Same with the best of the Japanese TT's the Nakamichi Dragon.

Not true. I've yet to see a BD TT that can better the W&F of my SP10. The SL1200 is almost as good in this regard.

'High-end' to me means vastly overpriced for it's performance. The SLs were such good value back in the day, because they were built in quantity in Japan.
We are not going to agree but I will say that there is no way a belt driving a very heavy platter can act as a spring. Tell me how this would work?
Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
They stopped making Technics turntables in 2010 as the vinyl market more or less fell out. In the interim the price on used Technics turntable has skyrocketed with the resurgence of vinyl. If you still had your old turntable and it was still in good shape, you could get 2 to 3 times the original cost.

Which lead Technics to start building turntables again, knowing that they could trade on their good name, which resulted in two new turntables, the consumer version of which is US$2000.

However, other companies continued making DJ turntables, and there prices are very reasonable. Now if you want a Direct Drive DJ style turntable, then you can certainly have one for a reasonable price -

Here are the standard DJ turntables today -

Audio Tecnica LP1240 - $450 -

http://needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...2&category=358

Pioneer PLX-1000 - $699 -

http://needledoctor.com/Pioneer-...category=58593

Stanton ST-150 with "S" tonearm - $550 -

http://needledoctor.com/Stanton-...2&category=354

If you want to save a bit this lower Audio Technica LP120 is still well reviewed Direct Drive -

Audio Technical LP120 - $360 -

http://needledoctor.com/AT-LP120...2&category=358

Though if you shop around especially at Musician Supply Stores like Guitar Center, you can find the LP120 for $300, and many stores will have in-store specials in the $200 to $250 range.

Also the lesser Pioneer -

Pioneer PLS-500 - $350 -

http://needledoctor.com/Pioneer-...category=58593

Pay attention as to whether the above turntables come with cartridges. Some DJ turntables do not.

Now, if you want a more HiFi Turntable rather than a DJ Style turntable, you can certainly do that.

Project is a big international name in Turntables, with very good reviews across the board.

One of the most common and most affordable in the Debut Carbon typically sold with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge upgrade. -

Project Debut Carbon DC w/ 2M Red Cartridge - (available in an assortment of colors) - $399 -

http://needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352

If the possibility of having an Autio-Start/Auto-Stop feature has some appeal to you, one of Needle Doctors most popular turntable is the Denon DP300F with 2M Red cartridge -

Denon DP300F Auto Turntable with 2M Red - $419 -

http://needledoctor.com/Denon-DP...2&category=348

Auto-Start/Auto-Stop
means with the push of a single button, the motor starts, the tonearm lift, moves to the record, and sets down and start to play. At the end, the tonearm lifts, moves back to rest, and the Motor shuts off. Very handy. There are only a very few turntables that still do this. Also, the turntable can be used manually.

Because of the cartridge upgrade to the 2M Red, that puts the Project Debut Carbon DC and the Denon DP300 in the very high value category. You can buy a lesser cost turntable, but if you have to add an additional $100 for a cartridge upgrade, it becomes much less of a bargain.

Another Popular Brand would be Music Hall -

Music Hall MMF-2.3 0 - black, white, or red - $499 to $550 -

http://needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...2&category=351

As well has paying attention to whether a turntable comes with a cartridge, pay attention to the cartridge it comes with. The Ortofon 2M Red sells for about $100. The generic cartridge that comes with most turntable is typically the Audio Technica AT95E which sells for about $50. Thought the Audio Technica AT120E is a worthy cartridge at $129 -

Audio Technica 95E - $49 -

http://needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...2&category=363

Ortofon 2M Red - $100 -

http://needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...2&category=378

Audio Technica AT120E - $129 -

http://needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...2&category=363

This Shure M97-XE is also popular - $99 -

http://needledoctor.com/Shure-M9...2&category=380

That should get you started in the world of modern turntables. While you can spend more that $300, it is hard to spend less unless you find a sale somewhere.

Steve/bluewizard
natchie likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM

The underlying question is not - How much can you get? Because you can get turntables costing $100,000.

The underlying question is - How much do you want, how much do you need, and what can you afford?

It doesn't matter that $5000, $10,000, and $100,000 turntable exist, if you don't need them, don't want them, and can't afford them.

The New Technics SL-1200 is a very finely crafted well made turntable, but it is $2000. I'm not paying that for a turntable even if I win the Lottery.

However, I have no quarrel with those willing to pay $2000 for a Technics. More Power to you. From what I heard the $4000 version very quick sold out. And from what I assume, the $2000 version will also sell very fast. But again, I'm simply not paying that kind of money. My personal limit is in the area of $1500.

I'm pretty sure this is more than I could ever need -

Music Hall MMF-5.3SE with Ortofon 2M Bronze - $1395 -

I can't imagine wanting or needing more than that.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 PM

USED Technics turntables having been used by professional (or amateur) DJs.

http://guitarcenter.com/Used/Tec...e-112432877.gc

http://guitarcenter.com/Used/Tec...e-112831877.gc

http://guitarcenter.com/Used/Tec...e-112721629.gc

Likely the price is down because you can buy new Technics turntables now. But I have seen them for over $1000.

Steve/bluewizard
Old 01-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post
I am really tempted to get the new 1200GR when available. Given that a half-decent 1200 wannabe turntable or an used one (in good condition) is closed to halfway to the rumored MSRP of $2K, might as well bite the bullet.
If your in the market for a new TT, then I think this is a wise choice. I'm tempted myself but not in the market. And I know a few things about TT's having bought my first one in 1975. A properly set up and functioning TT with the right cartridge/phono stage can sound absolutely amazing.

You're right about used SL-1200MKII's. Since Technics discontinued it, remaining NOS units have been selling for 2K and used tables are commonly sold for more than what they were originally bought for. And by all accounts with its new coreless DD motor this new table should outperform the remaining NOS MKII's that are selling at the same price.

What folks forget when considering a TT is that it is just as much a machine than it is an electronic device. And being a machine, precision construction and quality becomes vital. And quality does not come cheap these days. That's why I use a USA built VPI and a 40 year old Technics SL-1400 that I completely restored myself and should be spinning long after I am gone. And my SL-1400 was built in Japan just like these new SL-1200GR's are.

I doubt that you'll ever see this kind of longevity with the SL-1200 knock offs all built by Hanpin in China for Audio Technica, Pioneer, Stanton, et al. Or with many of the new belt driven European tables that are popularly priced. Buy the Technics and you will never have to buy another one.
ace96 and PioBeer like this.

Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo BDP-103, Simaudio Moon 100D DAC
VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue and Simaudio Moon 110LP, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa and Pro-ject Phono Box S
Dynaudio Focus 260's, Rel T-1 and a Panasonic TC-P54S1.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
They stopped making Technics turntables in 2010 as the vinyl market more or less fell out. In the interim the price on used Technics turntable has skyrocketed with the resurgence of vinyl. If you still had your old turntable and it was still in good shape, you could get 2 to 3 times the original cost.

Which lead Technics to start building turntables again, knowing that they could trade on their good name, which resulted in two new turntables, the consumer version of which is US$2000.
That's just not correct at all. Vinyl records had already seen a "resurgence" well before 2010, and regardless of that fact Panasonic's main customer base for the 1200 at the time was still the DJ market which didn't gain any particular benefit from a resurgeance in modern record sales. That same crowd (as well as hi-fi enthusiasts) still wanted 1200's and that is what made prices on NIB units soar. The official reason stated by the company for the turntable being discontinued was "lack of suppliers for critical analog components."

Implying that they just up and decided to start making them again to "cash in on their good name" is nonsense. People had been asking for it for years, even creating an online petition that got over 25,000 signatures. When they finally did re-introduce it, the motor had been redesigned and the whole turntable had been updated so it's not as though they just started turning them out again using the same old tooling.
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by #Grey; 01-17-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
TThe official reason stated by the company for the turntable being discontinued was "lack of suppliers for critical analog components."
There's nothing particularly difficult or hard to source in the SL1200 PSU. I'd guess all of it could easily be substituted and redesigned around or a complete redesign take place with a modern ucontroller running it.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
There's nothing particularly difficult or hard to source in the SL1200 PSU. I'd guess all of it could easily be substituted and redesigned around or a complete redesign take place with a modern ucontroller running it.
Essentially that's what happened, the drive system, controller, and tonearm were redesigned and the turntable was reintroduced.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 395
My mkII is still going. I use it to digitize hard to get records that are not available on cd.
After not using for 10 years the only issue I had was that the oil in the arm lift mechanism had become a bit gloopy. This improved after exercising it a bit by pressing it down manually.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Implying that they just up and decided to start making them again to "cash in on their good name" is nonsense. People had been asking for it for years, even creating an online petition that got over 25,000 signatures. When they finally did re-introduce it, the motor had been redesigned and the whole turntable had been updated so it's not as though they just started turning them out again using the same old tooling.
As a matter of fact, I believe the only tooling they still had were those to make the dust covers and perhaps the 45 RPM adapter.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I still have my SL1200 and it sounds great (good Audio Technica cartridge helps).

Slight change of subject: does anyone know where to get a replacement dust cover (and the attachment brackets) for the SL1200?
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
...The official reason stated by the company for the turntable being discontinued was "lack of suppliers for critical analog components."
Analog components? What analog components? The only thing remotely analog would be the motor speed control, other than that it is direct wire from cartridge to output.

Quote:
Implying that they just up and decided to start making them again to "cash in on their good name" is nonsense. People had been asking for it for years, ...
Yes indeed they were asking for them, perhaps begging for them, but at $500 to $1000, not $2000 to $4000. Though as has been pointed out, they had no trouble selling them at those prices. At to "cashing in on their good name" they most certainly did. As you pointed out, there was a demand specifically for Technics. They knew that name would bring a premium price, and it most certainly did.

Quote:
When they finally did re-introduce it, the motor had been redesigned and the whole turntable had been updated so it's not as though they just started turning them out again using the same old tooling.
As others pointed out, likely that old tooling was gone. But, they still look like Super OEM turntables. While they may be better, the tonearms looks exactly like the old Technic tonearms, plus tonearms from Audio Technica, Pioneer, Reloop, Lenco, and Stanton. Doesn't seem that hard to find tooling when near identical tonearms already exist. I then just become a matter of choosing the desired material. As far as milling the platter, I think all that takes is a CNC lathe.

Note, I do not think this is a bad turntable, I'm just stunned by the price. There are plenty of other DJ turntable for 1/4th that price, and there are plenty of quality HiFi turntable at or near that price.

But as has been pointed out, they are having no trouble selling them. At least not now that the early adopters are jumping it. But much like the latest iPhone, I expect the price to drop considerably once the initial early adopter craze has past. I don't personally see that price as sustainable in the long run.

Still, I wish them luck, and given that there are few reviews of this turntable, it is hard to determine whether it lives up to its price or not. That may change in the future, it may not, or it may very well live up to its price. We will have to wait and see.

I know Stereophile Reviewed the Pioneer PLX-1000 and had nothing but very positive things to say about it, and it only costs $700. Besides the rave review, it made the 2016 Recommended Components list.

"Forget analog vs digital or tubes vs solid-state; the most pervasive and poorly considered belief of all is that only belt-drive turntables are worthy of audiophile consideration."

"Belts can't touch the PLX-1000's excitement, naturally formed detail, and clearly expressed forward momentum,"

"This new Pioneer also showcases the complex tonal character and elegant structures of classical music better than any affordable belt-drive I've experienced."

"the PLX-1000, whose motor has more than twice the torque of its famous forebear, "is not only a worthy successor to the legendary Technics SL-1200MK2, it is a serious contender for the best audiophile-grade turntable for less than $2000.""

Pioneer PLX-1000 = $700

With praise that high for $700, do I really need to spend $2000? I guess the answer is up to the individual.

Steve/bluewizard
natchie likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-18-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwb View Post
I still have my SL1200 and it sounds great (good Audio Technica cartridge helps).

Slight change of subject: does anyone know where to get a replacement dust cover (and the attachment brackets) for the SL1200?
Thanks.
Here you go: http://kabusa.com/

He's got just about everything for the SL-1200. I picked up mine new from his clearance section for a steal almost 10 years ago that had a few of his mods installed (Cardas arm re-wire, damping trough, outboard PS - no idea if the mods do anything, but that's how it came) and it's been faultless in almost daily use since then. I've been running most of that time with a Denon DL103R into a Bob's Devices CineMag CMQEE-3440A step-up then into a Cambridge 640p phono. Exceptionally well-made and it just feels very solid, with no play in the parts, in use.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
Old 01-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
... Anyway, what seems to be the best bang for the buck in the $500-$1000 range for a TT? Also what cartridge boasts the same bang for the buck? I remember 8-10 years ago it was the aforementioned turntable with a Shure M97xE. couldn't beat that combo for $600. Anything out there that comes close?

Thanks,
Let's remember to focus on the actual SUBJECT of this Thread. There are plenty of other discussions on the merits and demerits of the Technics SL-1200 turntable.

But this Poster is specifically asking for recommendations on a new replacement turntable in the roughly $500 to $1000 range. That should be the focus of the discussion.

Steve/bluewizard
Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 AM

Other turntable in the suggested budget range would be -

Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB - Black - $599 - (other colors available) -

Project Debut Carbon Espirt with 2M Blue Cartridge - Black - $799 - (other colors available)-

http://needledoctor.com/Debut-Ca...2&category=352

The ESPRIT is an upgraded Debut Carbon.

Pushing up close to the top of the budget -

Project Xpression Classic - Black - $999 - (also Olive and Mahogany) -

There is also another Xpressions model for a bit less -

Project 1Xpression Carbon - Black - $799 -

REGA
is a well regarded brand of turntable and most certainly worth considering. Though best if you buy a model with the Performance Pack, which includes among other things an upgrade to a very good Rega Cartridge -

Rega Planar 1 with Performance Pack - $540 -

http://needledoctor.com/Rega-RP1...2&category=353

Rega Planar 2 - $675 -

http://needledoctor.com/Rega-Pla...2&category=353

Rega Planar 3 - $945 to $1145 -

http://needledoctor.com/Rega-Pla...2&category=353

And as mentioned before Music Hall -

Music Hall MMF-2.3 - $499 to $549 (depending on color) -

Music Hall MMF-2.3 SE - Natural Wood Finish - $750 -

Music Hall MMF-5.3 - Black - $1049 -

These are all proven turntables, well rated, well reviewed, with long histories and good reputations.

In Direct Drive DJ-Style Turntables, there are a range of options, depending on how much your really want to spend -

http://needledoctor.com/Online-S...ive-Turntables

On any of these turntables you can find reviews and a closer look on YouTube.

The Audio Technica LP1240 at $450 is a bargain in a quality turntable.

If you want to go for quality, as I have pointed out in another post, the Pioneer PLX-1000 got a rave review from Stereophile Magazine. Priced at a still reasonable $700.

If you want to trim your budget back a bit, then the Pioneer PLX-500 or the Audio Technica LP120 are worth considering. Again, you can find YouTube videos reviewing these and you can get a more detailed look at them. These run $300 to $350, but will probably need a cartridge upgrade.

If you want to see more DJ-Style Direct Drive Turntable go to Musician Supply sites like - Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and ZZound -

http://zzounds.com/cat--Turntables--2462

http://guitarcenter.com/Turntables.gc

https://sweetwater.com/c655--Turntables

http://musiciansfriend.com/turntables

You will also notice the addition of a brand called RELOOP, which make what are called Super OEM turntable. The Super OEM all resemble each other very closely.

Reloop RP-7000 High Torque Turntable - $599 -

http://musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...rque-turntable

The Reloop 8000 has some additional feature that no one will need for home use, though a DJ might have some use for them

Reloop RP-8000 Advanced Hybrid Torque Turntable - $699 -

http://musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...rque-turntable

I present that for reference, unlikely a home user would need anything above the RP-7000.

Stanton has probably been in the game the longest, and if I were in the market for a DJ-Style turntable, of the Stanton likely I would only consider the Stanton ST-150 with "S" Tonearm. A bit more expensive than the Audio Technica, but still affordable .

Stanton ST-150 with "S" Tonearm - $479 -

http://musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ne-arm-regular

Audio Technical LP1240 ("S" Arm) - $449 -

http://zzounds.com/item--AUTATLP1240USB

Once again, a reminder to pay attention to whether or not the Turntable comes with a Cartridge and if it does, pay attention to what cartridge it comes with. I generally don't recommend cartridge at much less that $100.

I posted a link before of what I consider good cartridges, but for example the Ortofon 2M Series is just that a series of cartridge - Red, Blue, Bronze, Black -

http://needledoctor.com/Online-S...ono-Cartridges

Grado is a good brand of Cartridge -

The Grado Prestige series has a nice range of cartridge -

Of course the Shure M97 is always a winner -

Gold Ring certainly has it fans -

Audio Technica Cartridge
cover a considerable range -

In approximately the $100 range, certainly the Ortofon 2M Red, the Shure M97, Audio Technica AT120Eb, Grado Prestige Blue, Rega Bias 2 would all get the job done.

Once again, just trying to lend perspective to the modern Turntable market.

The first thing you have to decide is whether you still want a Direct Driver DJ-Style turntable. Or, if perhaps you want to move to a Belt Driver HiFi turntable. That's purely your choice. In a DJ-Style, if you can bring your budget that high the Pioneer PLX-1000 with a decent cartridge would keep you under the budget limit. I suspect with a cartridge that turntable would run about $800 to perhaps $850.

However, you could have something like the Stanton ST-150 or the Audio Technica LP1240 with a cartridge upgrade, for about $550 to perhaps as high as $650.

I've not shopped around, but on DJ turntables from musician supply stores seem to have better prices than Needle Doctor. Though Needle Doctor is a reliable source.

Does that help you at all???

Steve/bluewizard
Old 01-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Let's remember to focus on the actual SUBJECT of this Thread. There are plenty of other discussions on the merits and demerits of the Technics SL-1200 turntable.

But this Poster is specifically asking for recommendations on a new replacement turntable in the roughly $500 to $1000 range. That should be the focus of the discussion.

Steve/bluewizard
He also specifically asked "what ever happened to the affordable Technics SL 1200" which is in fact the title of this thread.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
He also specifically asked "what ever happened to the affordable Technics SL 1200" which is in fact the title of this thread.
What happened to it is they quit making it. That aspect is solved in one short sentence.

Now they have started making them again, but the cheapest is TWICE the stated budget, so focus on affordable replacements for the Technics.

...in my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-18-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

A word of warning - DJ Turntables that have Straight Arm also have very short arms. These might be fine for DJ purposes, but not for HiFi.

Most Hi-Fi turntables with Straight Arms have longer arms. These are not a problem.

Here is an example of Stanton ST-150 and the ST8-150 -

http://stantondj.com/stanton-tur.../str8-150.html

http://stantondj.com/stanton-turntables/st150.html

You can see that the Straight tonearm does not even come up close to the Stanton Label.

With the "S" tonearm, the arm extends beyond the Stanton Label. There is a view on the list of photos where you can see the turntables from the top.

Straight DJ arms tend to run in the 7 to 8 inch range, whereas curve DJ arms tend to run in the 8.5" to 10" range, thought 10" would be exceptionally rare. The arms are measures in a straight line between the Gimbal/Pivot and the Stylus.

If you are looking at DJ-Style Turntables, do NOT get the Straight Tonearm.

In Hi-Fi turntables a longer Straight arm is not a problem.

Just thought I would pass that along.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-18-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement