Forum Jump:
319Likes
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2018, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Scott Wilkinson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 4651
Sony X900F LCD TV at CES 2018

The Sony X900F LCD TVs are available in a wider variety of sizes than last year's X900E, and the new models support Dolby Vision HDR.

/sony-x900f-lcd-tvs-ces-2018/

Scott Wilkinson
Editor, online-shashki Forum

Last edited by Mike Lang; 01-08-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Scott Wilkinson is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 03:53 AM
Member

Plutotype's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Most anticipated. Hope for 85-88" ZF9 with 4000nit brightness and Quantum Dots.
Plutotype is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 04:23 AM
Member

Alby00003's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Most anticipated. Hope for 85-88" ZF9 with 4000nit brightness and Quantum Dots.

And it'll only cost an arm and a leg and your first born

The worlds greatest evil....Ignorance
In SCIENCE I trust!

Oppo UDP-203, Sony XBR75 X940E, Paradigm (all Version 2's) Studio 100, CC, 60, Servo 15 Subwoofer, Denon 4802 AVR
Alby00003 is offline

Old 01-07-2018, 04:35 AM
Senior Member

DJR662's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 78
A 75ZF9 would be nice.

3D is mandatory for me though...
Stereodude likes this.
DJR662 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 04:49 AM
Member

Plutotype's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby00003 View Post
And it'll only cost an arm and a leg and your first born
It makes sense to install such TV in a HT room instead of watching at 60 nits "HDR" image of a projector with 2x-6x higher price.
DrA and Alby00003 like this.
Plutotype is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 05:46 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

unknownuser200's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 2,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
It makes sense to install such TV in a HT room instead of watching at 60 nits "HDR" image of a projector with 2x-6x higher price.

before seeing the zd9 100 inch do 2900 nits i would have said you were nuts expecting that lol. but now IF they release a new z9 series its anyones game. though vinecent from hdtvtest did say sony is comfirmed keeping the 100 inch z9 for all of 2018.
unknownuser200 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

bluewhale1's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Im hoping for something in a FALD with DV and HDR10/HDR10+ Praying I want to ditch Samsung seems like you have to pick a tv based on what version of HDR you want to some extent. When does the embargo set to expire?
bluewhale1 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 06:20 AM
Member

Plutotype's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The market for high-end LCD TV´s in not 55/65 inch segment. OLED took over there. Everything beyond 65" is a clear win for LCD ( 2-3x lower price than OLED and much needed size for UHD pixel utilisation ).
sarahb75 likes this.
Plutotype is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

rene2kx's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: asia
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Looking forward to this. Interesting to find out what Sony releases after the Z9D and the successors to the 940e and 930e. Also looking forward to Sony announcing their Dolby vision Blu ray player at their press conference.
Herve, mnc, shyguy3763 and 2 others like this.
rene2kx is online now
Old 01-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Member

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
The market for high-end LCD TV´s in not 55/65 inch segment. OLED took over there. Everything beyond 65" is a clear win for LCD ( 2-3x lower price than OLED and much needed size for UHD pixel utilisation ).
I disagree. Not only do the burn in issues scare away heavy gamers but many high end buyers do not have a videophile's eye and may well prefer brighter and more colorful LCD images over a perfectly calibrated OLED. I would pay more for a quality 400+ zone QD TV that hits 4000 nits over a 1500 nit OLED with a shelf life and no room for error leaving an xbox running overnight.
aaronwt, PeterTHX, playaj and 5 others like this.
Demoth2000 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoth2000 View Post
I disagree. Not only do the burn in issues scare away heavy gamers but many high end buyers do not have a videophile's eye and may well prefer brighter and more colorful LCD images over a perfectly calibrated OLED. I would pay more for a quality 400+ zone QD TV that hits 4000 nits over a 1500 nit OLED with a shelf life and no room for error leaving an xbox running overnight.
Wait... link to a 1500 nit OLED that's not just a 2% window sustainable for 2 seconds?


Contuzzi is online now
Old 01-07-2018, 12:38 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Wait... link to a 1500 nit OLED that's not just a 2% window sustainable for 2 seconds?
I think he was just saying even IF 1500 were feasible on OLED. However, I also think saying we'll see a 4000 nit consumer screen in anything lower than 85+ anytime in the next few years is wishful thinking as well.
dkfan9 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Senior Member

sarahb75's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Norton, Ohio
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thumbs up Sorry Dr. Ruth, Because Here's 1 Case Where Size REALLY DOES MATTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoth2000 View Post
I disagree. Not only do the burn in issues scare away heavy gamers but many high end buyers do not have a videophile's eye and may well prefer brighter and more colorful LCD images over a perfectly calibrated OLED. I would pay more for a quality 400+ zone QD TV that hits 4000 nits over a 1500 nit OLED with a shelf life and no room for error leaving an xbox running overnight.

I'm not a gamer, so OLED's greater vulnerability to burn in, compared to LCD, is not a factor in a buying decision for me. But since we watch a lot of large scale, widescreen movies, such as "Dunkirk", as well as much older large scale productions, such as "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Spartacus", we want the biggest flat panel screen that's available in the $4500 to $6500 price range. That means going with LCD.

Because while I certainly recognize the superior PQ of OLED tech over LCD Tech, LCD screens in the 82 inch to 85 inch range will simply provide a much more cinematic experience with large scale films than a 65 inch OLED screen is going to provide. Plus, in movies such as "Lawrence of Arabia", which consist of mostly brightly lit scenes, OLED's major advantage of having a superior black level, is mostly lost, while LCD's advantage in having a larger screen, is an advantage that's always present while watching any movie, because the larger screen's image takes up more of one's field of view, making that image more cinematic that it would be on a 65 inch OLED screen.

Long story short, for our 19 foot by 11 foot theater room, I'd much rather have a good 82 inch or 85 inch LCD, than a 65 inch OLED, even though, admittedly, the OLED would win any flat panel shoot-out against its LCD competition.


Mike Boone
Joe Jensen, mobius, mtrot and 1 others like this.

Last edited by sarahb75; 01-07-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: missing word
sarahb75 is offline
Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

*UFO*'s Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
I'm not a gamer, so OLED's greater vulnerability to burn in, compared to LCD, is not a factor in a buying decision for me. But since we watch a lot of large scale, widescreen movies, such as "Dunkirk", as well as much older large scale productions, such as "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Spartacus", we want the biggest flat panel screen that's available in the $4500 to $6500 price range. That means going with LCD.

Because while I certainly recognize the superior PQ of OLED tech over LCD Tech, LCD screens in the 82 inch to 85 inch range will simply provide a much more cinematic experience with large scale films than a 65 inch OLED screen is going to provide. Plus, in movies such as "Lawrence of Arabia", which consist of mostly brightly lit scenes, OLED's major advantage of having a superior black level, is mostly lost, while LCD's advantage in having a larger screen, is an advantage that's always present while watching any movie, because the larger screen's image takes up more of one's field of view, making that image more cinematic that it would be on a 65 inch OLED screen.

Long story short, for our 19 foot by 11 foot theater room, I'd much rather have a good 82 inch or 85 inch LCD, than a 65 inch OLED, even though, admittedly, the OLED would win any flat panel shoot-out against its LCD competition.


Mike Boone
Or for half of that price, you can get a nice 4k projector and have a screen twice the size, with better picture quality. In your situation an OLED and LCD both do not make sense.
*UFO* is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 AM
Member

Plutotype's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Or for half of that price, you can get a nice 4k projector and have a screen twice the size, with better picture quality. In your situation an OLED and LCD both do not make sense.
New display tech is built around HDR. Projectors today are not really HDR projectors. How many nits does VPL-VW5000ES achieve when calibrated to BT.2020 (P3)? 70 nits? With 15-30 times lower brightness you cant compete with todays OLED or LCD. Color volume is the next.
Also, new projectors dont even support HDR standards ( HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG.. ) and many of them are not 4k native.
Plutotype is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Stereodude's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 14,417
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3604 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
This OP will be replaced with a link to the story as soon as the company-specified embargo lifts.
And when does the embargo lift? Or is that embargo'd also?
Stereodude is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Stereodude's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 14,417
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3604 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
A 75ZF9 would be nice.

3D is mandatory for me though...
Ditto on the 3D for me. I likely will be getting a 75" closeout Z9D (as long as they don't bungle the DV update) since I don't expect to see 3D on a successor model, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Stereodude is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Senior Member

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoth2000 View Post
I disagree. Not only do the burn in issues scare away heavy gamers but many high end buyers do not have a videophile's eye and may well prefer brighter and more colorful LCD images over a perfectly calibrated OLED. I would pay more for a quality 400+ zone QD TV that hits 4000 nits over a 1500 nit OLED with a shelf life and no room for error leaving an xbox running overnight.
I agree and I fall into this category. I'm a gamer, I have windows all over two of the 4 walls, I watch News Channels ALOT (though I'm trying very hard to watch less until the next election), I don't want to worry about how long I might accidentally keep something on, and I'm willing to sacrifice the perfect blacks for a FALD with more colorful images and very good blacks...somewhere in the 7-15K range for an 75"-88". Then I can hold onto that set until MicroLED becomes more mainstream in 5-10 years.
TennisFreak and flappo like this.
Keithian is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 09:41 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Cleveland Plasma's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 18,344
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
A 75ZF9 would be nice.

3D is mandatory for me though...
Well you better snatch up a Z9D then, I bet zero models with 3D coming.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
Most anticipated. Hope for 85-88" ZF9 with 4000nit brightness and Quantum Dots.
$10,000 price tag to
Cleveland Plasma is online now
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

PeterTHX's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Or for half of that price, you can get a nice 4k projector and have a screen twice the size, with better picture quality. In your situation an OLED and LCD both do not make sense.
A lot of "4K" projectors aren't true 4K though. Especially at lower prices.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
I agree and I fall into this category. I'm a gamer, I have windows all over two of the 4 walls, I watch News Channels ALOT (though I'm trying very hard to watch less until the next election), I don't want to worry about how long I might accidentally keep something on, and I'm willing to sacrifice the perfect blacks for a FALD with more colorful images and very good blacks...somewhere in the 7-15K range for an 75"-88". Then I can hold onto that set until MicroLED becomes more mainstream in 5-10 years.
As long as microled is not very susceptible to burn in.
dkfan9 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
A lot of "4K" projectors aren't true 4K though. Especially at lower prices.
And don't even mention projector HDR...
dkfan9 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Member

mpa4712's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any chance of the 940e getting a HDR10+ update announced as well? That would sure be the icing on the cake.
mpa4712 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

shoman94's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,639
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
And when does the embargo lift? Or is that embargo'd also?
I'm guessing tonight since they will be presenting tonight at 5pm PT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.4.8.15).
Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Viper32's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I hope some great things are coming.
rlindo and flappo like this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
Viper32 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 03:43 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

kleenex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I'm guessing tonight since they will be presenting tonight at 5pm PT.
yeah...
kleenex is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 PM
mnc
online-shashki Forum Special Member

mnc's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, GA
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 598
I’m really interested in 75”+ FALD.
mtrot likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
mnc is online now
Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

bluewhale1's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I hope Sonys presentation is better than Samsungs and more informative.
bluewhale1 is offline
Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

ray0414's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 14,494
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10604 Post(s)
Liked: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
I hope Sonys presentation is better than Samsungs and more informative.


It can't possibly be any worse.

Good news is since Sony don't sell refrigerators or washers and driers they have less garbage to use as filler.
rlindo, 3dprojector and flappo like this.
ray0414 is online now
Old 01-08-2018, 05:09 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

kleenex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
I hope Sonys presentation is better than Samsungs and more informative.
Samsung displayed the contents of the refrigerator on the TV set!! How can you beat that..
Ricoflashback likes this.
kleenex is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement



Tags
ces 2018 , Sony
Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off