Forum Jump:
5Likes
Old 05-16-2015, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Samsung One Connect Makes Clean Wall-Mount Installs Impossible?

Hello everyone. I am an owner of the 60" Samsung HU8550 which does not use the One Connect Box. I have it wall mounted and had our electrician install HDMI jacks behind the TV and down closer to where our inputs (Tivo, Apple TV, and Blu Ray) are located. This setup works great with our HDMI cables that are rated for in-wall use.

We are now interested in a 50" JS8500 or JU7100 for our bedroom and would like to also have a clean install using the HDMI jacks installed by our electrician. But I am told neither the JS8500 or JU7100 have HDMI ports on the TV, and instead require the use of the One Connect Box.

Since the One Connect Box cable is apparently NOT fire-rated for in-wall use, and since I cannot use the HDMI in-wall cables and jacks that my electrician installed (since there are no HDMI ports on the TV), how can I avoid having the ugly One Connect cable hanging down?

How are people approaching this problem with new Samsungs? Is the One Connect (at least the Mini) thin enough that it can fit behind the TV? Or is there some other solution I am missing? Thank you for any info! I am seriously considering the Sony X830C because of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 04:33 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
As far as I can tell, the JS8500 and the JU7100 have 4 HDMI inputs so I'm not sure where you got that information. The OCB is designed so that as formats and specs change, you can keep your tv current without having to purchase a new tv. HDMI specs will and are going to change. As far as in-wall cable installation, I would've used solid core CAT-6 which will be able to handle just about anything longer than the current high speed hdmi cables will. However, if you installed your cables in a conduit, then you can just pull cable when needed.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
As far as I can tell, the JS8500 and the JU7100 have 4 HDMI inputs so I'm not sure where you got that information. The OCB is designed so that as formats and specs change, you can keep your tv current without having to purchase a new tv. HDMI specs will and are going to change. As far as in-wall cable installation, I would've used solid core CAT-6 which will be able to handle just about anything longer than the current high speed hdmi cables will. However, if you installed your cables in a conduit, then you can just pull cable when needed.
Thanks Otto. I really hope you are right - but Crutchfield chat told me neither have HDMI ports on the TV itself. I'll post on those threads to see if the owners can chime in. If they really do have at least one HDMI in port, that would solve my problem and I wouldn't have to worry about hiding a One Connect Box.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
my UN48JS8500 has no HDMI inputs on it: they are all on the one connect box

I think the one connect mini (which comes with) is thin enough you can hang it on the wall mount (but I have not tried it!)

it is 1/2 inch thick x3 x 7.5" and the HDMI inputs and cable to the display are all on the thin edge

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

Last edited by markrubin; 05-16-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycaudioman View Post
Thanks Otto. I really hope you are right - but Crutchfield chat told me neither have HDMI ports on the TV itself. I'll post on those threads to see if the owners can chime in. If they really do have at least one HDMI in port, that would solve my problem and I wouldn't have to worry about hiding a One Connect Box.
I just searched the model numbers. Personally, I'd never purchase a tv that doesn't have alternative connections.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 3018
mine is on its stand on a bookshelf, and the one connect fits behind the shelf and the wall, so it is OK for me:

I can see it is problematic for a tight wall mount

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
Old 05-16-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I wall mounted my 78HU9000. The OCB is velcroed to the wall as well as resting on a small ledge above the wall mount. HDMI and cat5e run through the wall. An alternative might be to Velcro the OCB to the back of the panel.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
my UN48JS8500 has no HDMI inputs on it: they are all on the one connect box

I think the one connect mini (which comes with) is thin enough you can hang it on the wall mount (but I have not tried it!)

it is 1/2 inch thick x3 x 7.5" and the HDMI inputs and cable to the display are all on the thin edge
That's interesting. I just Googled the model and then read the specs. It clearly states 4 HDMI inputs but it wasn't clear as to WHERE those HDMI inputs are. I just assumed that if the specs said HDMI inputs it was referring to the tv itself . I guess the only assumption is that you can't make assumptions.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:38 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I have the 55" JU7100 wall mounted in my bedroom. No, the TV itself does NOT have any HDMI jacks on the back. They are all contained in the One Connect Mini box. However, as others have mentioned the box is small enough that it can be attached (Velcro, etc) to the back of the set. The biggest issue is the 7 foot cable that runs from the OCB to the TV. It's fairly small diameter, so you can likely wrap it up enough to keep it out of sight behind the TV.

These are the only connections on the TV itself:
  • Power
  • Ethernet
  • OCB connection (proprietary)
  • antenna
  • USB 3.0 jack (the OCB has two USB 2.0 jacks)
  • mini-plug for component or composite video/audio
The OCB Mini has four HDMI jacks (one with ARC), two USB 2.0 jacks and the optical out jack. The OCB Mini does not require external power.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, Windows 10 home media server with Serviio and Plex, 18TB of movies/TV shows. Other players and TVs as well.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm new to this thread and forum, but I am hoping someone can help me decide whether I need an HDMI switcher/selector for use with the 55" JU7100 television. If I have three sources (Wii U, DirecTV box, and an AppleTV) connected with an HDMI cable to the One Connect Mini Box, will there be a significant delay in switching between those sources? Or does the One Connect Mini Box serve as a quasi-switcher/selector?

Also, separately, if I have a legacy Nintendo 64, does anyone know whether I can plug that directly into the mini-plug for the component/composite video/audio input on the JU7100? Or do I need an adapter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any issues using the included samsung remote when the one connect box is walll mounted behind the tv? Thx
Old 06-13-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs184 View Post
Any issues using the included samsung remote when the one connect box is walll mounted behind the tv? Thx
?????
Old 06-13-2015, 11:54 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 26
How hard is it to do hard reboots or firmware updates with the TV hanging on the wall?
Old 06-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarecki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs184 View Post
?????
Sorry. Let me add more details, I am upgrading from a UN65H7150 to a JU7100.

It will be wall mounted and I will have to add the mini behind the tv. I have a single hdmi prewired from the wall to where my av receiver is.

Im trying to understand the one connect box and how to best use it.

With the 7150 I am simply HDMI ARC back to my receiver with dvr hdmi into receiver.

Only components in play will be the JU7100, time warner dvr, and
SONY STRDN1050.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone source a longer cable for the One Connect Mini box? I'm looking for something 15-feet or longer.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:42 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
Anyone source a longer cable for the One Connect Mini box? I'm looking for something 15-feet or longer.
I have contacted Samsung and confirmed they do not make a longer one connect cable and also do not make a connector to enable connecting two cables together.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I have the 55" JU7100 wall mounted in my bedroom. No, the TV itself does NOT have any HDMI jacks on the back. They are all contained in the One Connect Mini box. However, as others have mentioned the box is small enough that it can be attached (Velcro, etc) to the back of the set. The biggest issue is the 7 foot cable that runs from the OCB to the TV. It's fairly small diameter, so you can likely wrap it up enough to keep it out of sight behind the TV.

These are the only connections on the TV itself:
  • Power
  • Ethernet
  • OCB connection (proprietary)
  • antenna
  • USB 3.0 jack (the OCB has two USB 2.0 jacks)
  • mini-plug for component or composite video/audio
The OCB Mini has four HDMI jacks (one with ARC), two USB 2.0 jacks and the optical out jack. The OCB Mini does not require external power.
When you mount the one connect mini behind the panel have you found any problems with heat build up? I assume that since you say the one connect mini does not have an external power source it does not generate heat like the full one connect boxes do but I would like to confirm that. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahertz View Post
I wall mounted my 78HU9000. The OCB is velcroed to the wall as well as resting on a small ledge above the wall mount. HDMI and cat5e run through the wall. An alternative might be to Velcro the OCB to the back of the panel.
Has the heat generated by the one connect box given you any problems with the way you mounted it behind the panel? I have read that the one connect box gets very hot. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefchopper View Post
I have contacted Samsung and confirmed they do not make a longer one connect cable and also do not make a connector to enable connecting two cables together.
Bummer. Thanks for the update. (sad news)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM

one-connect mini cable - 10 foot replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlewis View Post
Bummer. Thanks for the update. (sad news)
I contacted samsungparts.com via Samsung tech support - they make a 10 foot cable (US$105.97) for the one-connect mini box. it is part # BN39-01815B. good luck
Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
other options?

I will be installing a un65js9500, and I understand that it has the larger 14"+ box. Now, the below will not work for me, but you may want to consider the below box (or contact the manufacturer to see how if would work with the mount for your TV.

chief PAC526

You may be able to install this as a recessed box between two studs behind a two-stud wall mount, and it should hold the box. If I would use that size box, it looks like the larger one connect box would have to jut out somehow, and i would instead need to use a larger leviton box,

on amazon leviton-47605-21E-21-Inch-Structured-Enclosure

which will not look good once the TV is pulled out from the wall.

Also, I just chatted with tech support and apparently the 10 foot cable for the mini box is not compatible with the larger box, or it would work for what I need to do, which is route it over this mount

chief TS525TU

which extends two-feet, inside the wall down at least two feet, and then into the entertainment cabinet. I could maybe do it with the 6 foot included cable if I have the one connect on the wall behind my entertainment cabinet, but I would rather have it mounted inside.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 PM

any any suggestions on how exactly to mount the one connect box with Velcro to a wall would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:20 PM

and as a reference from another post, this cable may help with the newer one connect (OCB) boxes
samsungparts BN39-01892A
in order to place them where you want- it is about 3 feet longer than comes with the TV's
Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccr View Post
and as a reference from another post, this cable may help with the newer one connect (OCB) boxes
samsungparts BN39-01892A
in order to place them where you want- it is about 3 feet longer than comes with the TV's
Unless a person had a very long run, can't the one connect box be in the same location as an apple tv, ps 4, receiver, etc., and then have the connect box's 10' cable, referred to above, run through the wall and into the back of the tv? Why would it not just take the place of the one HDMI cable that must run that length anyway?

If the issue is that the one connect box's cable doesn't meet code, that is a tough one to overcome, in fact maybe even impossible.

Television: Samsung UN65JS9000
A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H (Ordered Dec. 9, 2016)
Subwoofer: HSU VTF Subwoofer
Speakers: Definitive Tech StudioMonitor 65, ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 800, Heos 1 HS2
Digital Video Recorder: Directv 4K DVR
Set Top Box: Apple TV

Last edited by HotAhr; 08-26-2015 at 03:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
any any suggestions on how exactly to mount the one connect box with Velcro to a wall would be appreciated.
I don't think the Velcro is necessary. I mounted my TV on the wall, made the connections to the one connect mini and then just put the mini behind the TV and above the mount. It is not visible and is so small and light that it is no problem to let it just sit there without attaching it to the back of the TV. I have had no prob,ems after doing this and my installer told me he has already done many others the same way.
markrubin and HotAhr like this.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryuknek View Post
I contacted samsungparts.com via Samsung tech support - they make a 10 foot cable (US$105.97) for the one-connect mini box. it is part # BN39-01815B. good luck
That sounds like the same cable that comes with it. (it's about 10-feet in length) Or is this an extension cable? (I looked up the part number and it doesn't look like an extension cable)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM

BN39-01892A worked.

Quote:
samsungparts BN39-01892A
TO Update: I did get the BN39-01892A cable and worked just fine with my un65js9500 and it's one connect box. Ran it inside the wall with the assist of a set of PowerBridge TWO-CK boxes. The cable ends are not interchangeable, so make sure the right one is in the right place.

But please keep in mind that the average Samsung tech support person will say it is not supported for the TV in question.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking at the JU7100 which uses the One Connect Mini. So I had two questions about the BN39-01892A cable. 1) How long is the cable? I have read it is only about 6FT. 2) Does anyone know if the one connect cables are the same for all one connects? Will the cable for a full one connect (powered) work on the mini?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
TO Update: I did get the BN39-01892A cable and worked just fine with my un65js9500 and it's one connect box. Ran it inside the wall with the assist of a set of PowerBridge TWO-CK boxes. The cable ends are not interchangeable, so make sure the right one is in the right place.

But please keep in mind that the average Samsung tech support person will say it is not supported for the TV in question.
Sorry for the repost, meant to include this:

I am looking at the JU7100 which uses the One Connect Mini. So I had two questions about the BN39-01892A cable. 1) How long is the cable? I have read it is only about 6FT. 2) Does anyone know if the one connect cables are the same for all one connects? Will the cable for a full one connect (powered) work on the mini?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 AM

I have the same questions,

the two cables mentioned earlier that are longer. ( BN39-01892A AND BN39-01815B)
Will any of the two work with a one connect MINI??

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement