Forum Jump:
1Likes
  • 1 Post By Viper32
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2015, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member

Raident's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Costco TV extended warranty worth it?

I bought a TV from Costco on Black Friday, and as the 90 day limit for buying the extended warranty is coming up, I'm wondering if it's worth it...

Has anybody used the service? What were your thoughts?
Raident is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 02:40 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

ray0414's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 14,495
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10604 Post(s)
Liked: 9797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raident View Post
I bought a TV from Costco on Black Friday, and as the 90 day limit for buying the extended warranty is coming up, I'm wondering if it's worth it...

Has anybody used the service? What were your thoughts?
If I had to choose between a Cosco warranty or no warranty I'd definitely go cosco. Seen way too many people post "help me I'm out of warranty" threads lately.
ray0414 is online now
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Member

Aztechnology's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can always just purchase a square trade warranty for it. Although Costco takes really good care of their customers, if you ever have any issues they will probably just replace it without any questions. I recently purchased a Samsug HU8550 50" and I wish that Costco carried it for their warranty alone.
Aztechnology is offline

Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

RandyWalters's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,929
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raident View Post
I bought a TV from Costco on Black Friday, and as the 90 day limit for buying the extended warranty is coming up, I'm wondering if it's worth it...
It depends . . . . .

Which TV did you buy?

How much did you pay for the TV?

Who is the Warranty company?

How much is the Warranty?

How long is the warranty?

If the TV is deemed unrepairable, does the warranty company refund the purchase price of the TV or do they pro-rate is and give you a reduced settlement based on current market value for a used TV?

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - /g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

andy sullivan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 406
If I remember correctly Costco automatically doubles the factory warranty if you buy the TV from Costco. The extended warranty through Square Trade takes the warranty to 5 years total. Being affiliated with Costco certainly helps Square Trades reputation and past performance indicates they are a good company. Go to their web site and see what you think.
andy sullivan is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

thebignewt's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
If I remember correctly Costco automatically doubles the factory warranty if you buy the TV from Costco. The extended warranty through Square Trade takes the warranty to 5 years total. Being affiliated with Costco certainly helps Square Trades reputation and past performance indicates they are a good company. Go to their web site and see what you think.
I bought one for my $3600 Samsung TV in 2012 for $99. I got an additional 2 year warranty, and one more year because I'm a Costco member. What's interesting is that I didn't have to provide proof of purchase (not from Costco), just the model number and price. I don't think I even gave the serial number. I have not had to use it. It is Square Trade.

[/B] LG OLED65E6P TV, Yamaha RX-V383 AVR with Paradigm speakers, Cableone STB, Samsung UHD BD player, AppleTV 4K[/B]
thebignewt is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Jon S's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Well, if I bought a Vizio set, I would definitely buy the warranty... If it was a Samsung, Panasonic or Sony, I would still consider it... Especially since Costco's price is very reasonable...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Member

blue comet's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
As long as you bought your TV from a factory approved dealer you can purchase a Square Trade warranty through Costco. I purchased my TV from Best Buy but bought a Costco warranty. You have, I believe, within 90 days from date of TV purchase to purchase warranty.
blue comet is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

fafrd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raident View Post
I bought a TV from Costco on Black Friday, and as the 90 day limit for buying the extended warranty is coming up, I'm wondering if it's worth it...

Has anybody used the service? What were your thoughts?
Costco told me that the return period was 90 days but the period to purchase an extended warranty was only 60 days -are you sure you can still purchase an extended warranty more than 60 days from date of purchase?
fafrd is online now
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

cawgijoe's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Well, if I bought a Vizio set, I would definitely buy the warranty... If it was a Samsung, Panasonic or Sony, I would still consider it... Especially since Costco's price is very reasonable...
Why would you say that? I have two Vizio TV sets, both bought at Costco with no extended warranty. The 32" is now about eight years old and the 55" is at least five. Both going strong.

Consumer Reports data shows Vizio as a very reliable brand as well as the big boys you mentioned.

Extended warranties for the most part are pure profit. However, the Square Trade prices at Costco are good and if you want that warm and fuzzy feeling that your set will be covered for five years, then go for it.
cawgijoe is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

fafrd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post
Why would you say that? I have two Vizio TV sets, both bought at Costco with no extended warranty. The 32" is now about eight years old and the 55" is at least five. Both going strong.

Consumer Reports data shows Vizio as a very reliable brand as well as the big boys you mentioned.

Extended warranties for the most part are pure profit. However, the Square Trade prices at Costco are good and if you want that warm and fuzzy feeling that your set will be covered for five years, then go for it.
I agree, most quality issueas appear within the first year (if not the first month), so an extended warranty does little compensate for quality risk and is more for long-term reliability.

I have a new Vizio P70 from Costco and am considering an extended warranty for another reason - I am pretty certain to be upgrading two years from now and will be selling this P70. Sold with an extended warranty for the next 3 years will make the TV more salable then having to sell a used TV out of warranty...
fafrd is online now
Old 02-10-2015, 11:43 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Jon S's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post
Why would you say that? I have two Vizio TV sets, both bought at Costco with no extended warranty. The 32" is now about eight years old and the 55" is at least five. Both going strong.

Consumer Reports data shows Vizio as a very reliable brand as well as the big boys you mentioned.

Extended warranties for the most part are pure profit. However, the Square Trade prices at Costco are good and if you want that warm and fuzzy feeling that your set will be covered for five years, then go for it.
Just go to the Vizio P series threads... They are having all kinds of issues with their sets. Also, once the one year warranty expires on a Vizio set, it is very difficult to get them repaired...

you can read more here, here and here...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

fafrd's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Just go to the Vizio P series threads... They are having all kinds of issues with their sets. Also, once the one year warranty expires on a Vizio set, it is very difficult to get them repaired...

you can read more here, here and here...
Two articles from 2011? You have got to be kidding me...

Check out the owner's threads here on the Forum. Can't speak about the E or M-Series, but the owner's of the P-Series seem generally very happy with their Vizio TVs now that the new firmware has fixed some initial bugs and most every owner encountering a quality issue has been very pleased with Vizio's customer service and responsiveness.
fafrd is online now
Old 02-10-2015, 12:44 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Viper32's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I agree if you buy a Vizio, you are best to get that warranty. Cutting corners catches up to you in the long run.

Vizio has issues and just because it is as visual here does not mean it is not.

Viper

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
Viper32 is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

thebignewt's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
I agree if you buy a Vizio, you are best to get that warranty. Cutting corners catches up to you in the long run.

Vizio has issues and just because it is as visual here does not mean it is not.

Viper
Isn't Vizio kind of the Yugo of LED televisions? They are like the lowest cost right? These things probably do go bad during the first year if they are going to go bad. How else can they sell 3 years of warranty on a $3600 TV for a hundred bucks?That's like 0.10/day.

[/B] LG OLED65E6P TV, Yamaha RX-V383 AVR with Paradigm speakers, Cableone STB, Samsung UHD BD player, AppleTV 4K[/B]
thebignewt is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 03:24 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

cawgijoe's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 2,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
Isn't Vizio kind of the Yugo of LED televisions? They are like the lowest cost right? These things probably do go bad during the first year if they are going to go bad. How else can they sell 3 years of warranty on a $3600 TV for a hundred bucks?That's like 0.10/day.
The $99 square trade warranty is the same no matter the brand.

Vizio TVs are fine.
cawgijoe is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 03:58 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Jon S's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,231
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Two articles from 2011? You have got to be kidding me....
Here... and here and here

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: S.F.
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Costco warranty is already 2 years or 3 years if purchased with an Amex. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty.

Last edited by paranoyd androyd; 02-10-2015 at 05:03 PM.
paranoyd androyd is offline
Old 02-10-2015, 05:34 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Viper32's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Here... and here and here

Good Job. Glad someone points this out. You can polish a t--d but it is still a t--d.
Jon S likes this.

Current Sets: Sony XBR75X940C, Sony XBR75X940D, Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49JS8500, TCL P-Series (55P607)
Previous Sets: Sony XBR65X930D, XBR65X900B, XBR49X830C, Samsung KS8000, KU6500, JS9000, JU7090, JU6500, JU6400, HU9000, HU7250, PN64F8500, Vizio P65, LG 65EF9500, LG 55EC9300, Hisense 55H8C
Viper32 is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off