Forum Jump:
post #1 of 4 Old 12-25-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dynex tv picture no sound

I have one year old twins and one of them grabbed our universal cable remote and messed up our tv. Now, we have a picture but no sound. Please help me! I called Dynex tech support and they were of no help. We can't really afford a new tv or tech support so I am hoping that someone here can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2014, 06:02 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinmama View Post
I have one year old twins and one of them grabbed our universal cable remote and messed up our tv. Now, we have a picture but no sound. Please help me! I called Dynex tech support and they were of no help. We can't really afford a new tv or tech support so I am hoping that someone here can help me.
I assume you already tried the small "mute" on the universal remote. My wife, a non-techie is like a toddler at times randomly blindly pushes buttons without looking and then I have to troubleshoot/correct.

Also, take your universal remote and remove the batteries and re-insert them to try and refresh the remote as I don't believe it is a smart device with memory when it's power source is removed unless the TV Cable box holds onto it and in such a case you may have to disconnect it and have it go through it's reset programming process and wipe whatever mute command has been activated.

Most TV's have a factory reset in the menu, drill down into your TV Remote Menu system to see if it permits factory default resetting and also with the TV's sound settings to see if anything is grayed out. I believe Dynex is a budget brand that should have pretty basic settings.

If none of this works then use the internet to query your Carrier (Comcast or other) Help Section remote on lost audio.

We're flying blind as to your remote type and carrier so just offering up some troubleshooting scenario's until one works. A bad or loose cable can also impact audio as well - reseating can help just in case it's not the uni-remote.

Good Luck!

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 12-26-2014 at 06:14 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2014, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 555
So far the only clues you had given us are:
  • Dynex TV (no info on the model)
  • Universal Remote (no info on the brand or model)
  • Remote was handled by a 1-year-old
  • Now TV has picture but no sound

What is feeding the TV? (I'm guessing this isn't just over-the-air since then you wouldn't need a universal remote.)

How is the TV connected to what is feeding it?

Is it picture but no sound for every device connected to the TV? If the TV has an antenna connection, is over-the-air programming also picture but no sound?

These ideas come to mind, but keep in mind that I am making some assumptions that might or might not be true for your situation:
  • This is the first thing I would check: The remote got set to control the volume of some other device. If one had ran the volume down to zero and then hit a device button so the volume on the remote controls some other device, you would have what you had reported: no sound and the volume buttons don't change the volume of the TV. (On my Comcast "universal remote", there are three devices it can control: the cable box, a TV, and an "aux". I have the TV setting on the remote set up to control the TV, but I had never set up the "aux". If I had accidentally pressed the "aux" button, neither volume nor Mute control the TV, but instead tries to control the "aux" device. At least in my case there is a flicker on the remote for the device being controlled when a button is pressed. So if I see the wrong device is being controlled, I press the "TV" button on the remote, then press the "cable" button, and then the remote is back to controlling the devices with buttons controlling what I expect them to control.)
  • The TV got configured to use the external speakers instead of the built-in speakers, but there are no external speakers. (On my LG TV, this is actually Home Menu -> Audio -> TV Speakers: Off, to turn off the TV's internal speakers.)
  • The device feeding the TV got configured to use an audio (speaker) mode the TV cannot handle or to send the audio to some other port but there are no speakers on that port. (For example, on my cable box, if I hit Menu and then select Menu -> Setup -> Audio Setup, it is possible for me to set "Auto Output:" to "TV Speakers" or to something else and, fortunately, my TV understands the other audio settings, but that might not be true of all cable box / TV combinations.)
  • Loose or unplugged cable. This could be the audio cables (for a composite, component, or even S-video connections), or the HDMI cable (the pins carrying the audio aren't making contact). While this won't happen just by pressing buttons on the remote, one shouldn't overlook the possibility that playing with the remote may have been a diversion while the twin tugged on a cord or two.
  • If the signal goes through a receiver, check the sound modes on that, too, to make sure the sound is going where it should.
  • The universal remote got configured for another TV model where the on/off sequence is the same but uses a different sequence for the volume.

If you discover what went wrong and managed to correct it, please post a reply to this thread and let us know what you discovered. Or if you have ruled out our suggestions, let us know more about your equipment and how it is set up. Thank you.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Oh SAP! (Secondary Audio Channel.) Check that each device (the TV if applicable, cable box if applicable) is set to the channel's primary audio program because if it is selecting a different one and that one isn't being used, it may be dead silence. If the TV is using analog channel between the cable box and the TV (using the old thick coax like what the cable company uses between the wall and their box), selecting SAP could very well be silence and sound would be restored by switching back to the primary audio.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page