Forum Jump:
Old 03-09-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at some intro level Sony Bravia and Samsung 32 inch tvs. I was doing some research and noticed Walmart/Kmart/etc seem to have complete different part numbers than the tvs you find at other stores. Whats the deal with this, Do these company's build low budget replicas for Walmart?

Whats a good 32inch for around 800$?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My friend is about to buy the LG 32LC7D. We looked at it in Best Buy and I think it would be a much better option than a lower tier brand (such as Vizio).
Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The LG 32LC7D mentioned by kerplunknet is a nice unit! I have one of that series in my kitchen.

Anyway, YES LG and others build/label products specifically for various retail outlets and even for different geographic regions!!

The benefit to the retailer is that no-one can do a price match on a different part number (even if it is otherwise the same exact unit!)

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

Old 03-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Walmart has the same stuff as Best Buy. The bigger retail stores change the model numbers for price matching purposes, hence, you can't walk into Best Buy and get them to price match a 32M3000 against the 32" that Walmart and Target sell, even though they are the exact same tv.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

So the sony bravio 32 inch at walmart is the same tv i would get at a sony dealer?
Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM

KDL32ML130 - $767 at Walmart

http://sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665246541

KDL-32M3000 - $789 at Best Buy

http://sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665195946

You be the judge. Looks like the exact same specs only one model has a silver stand and the other a black. Though, I wouldn't buy one of these, because in a couple of weeks, Sony is releasing the new models and the new M-Series will most likely be last years S-Series. They are releasing a bunch of 120Hz and 1080p models, and say the M-Series will be entry level, so I expect the price of the 32" to be closer to the Vizio's this year. I am thinking they will get them down to $599, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Not true at all. Wal-Mart has EXCLUSIVE model numbers from them telling the manufactures to use cheaper parts for they can sell the tv's cheaper to customers. Thats why you cannot find these model numbers in legit stores that sell the higher quality of parts inside the tv's.

Examples.

http://walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5691359

http://circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0

Look at there specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleme7 View Post

Walmart has the same stuff as Best Buy. The bigger retail stores change the model numbers for price matching purposes, hence, you can't walk into Best Buy and get them to price match a 32M3000 against the 32" that Walmart and Target sell, even though they are the exact same tv.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Not true at all. Wal-Mart has EXCLUSIVE model numbers from them telling the manufactures to use cheaper parts for they can sell the tv's cheaper to customers. Thats why you cannot find these model numbers in legit stores that sell the higher quality of parts inside the tv's.

Examples.

http://walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5691359

http://circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...&go.x=0&go.y=0

Look at there specs.

Dude, those are 2 totally different Samsung models, unlike the 2 Sony models we were discussing, which are both referred to as "Bravia M-Series" whether at Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. The Walmart Samsung has 2 HDMI, the CC Samsung has 3 and a very different case.

If this was an exclusive deal to Walmart, then Target wouldn't also be selling the same TV's. This is more like a deal where Best Buy has the clout to force Sony to not offer the same products to Walmart and Target, because they know they can't compete with their prices. Sony probably cut a deal with Best Buy that allows them to sell the entry level M-Series under a different name, to Walmart/Target. This way, when a customer comes into Best Buy and asks why Walmart is selling the tv cheaper, the salesman can spin a story (probably out of ignorance which is what BB wants) about the Walmart TV's having cheaper parts and then refer to the model number.

It's the same TV, same case, different paint. I seriously doubt there were any cost cutting measures on Sony's part. Walmart just orders enough product to be able to sell at a lower price. They do that with everything. You think the Coca Cola you buy at Walmart has less sugar or something?

But, make no mistake, all of Walmart's stuff is entry level, but we are also talking about LCD, which is a ****** product to begin with, at any price.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Right on Googleme7. I have the KDL32ML130 from Walmart and my friend purchased the KDL-32M3000 from Best Buy very early and at a much higher price, plus he was pressured into going for the extended warranty plus a fancy power supply strip that has surge protection. Best Buy is a rip-off..
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. You have to take it on a TV-by-TV basis.

Like the Vizio's they sell their are cheaper models then the ones in Costco/Sams/Sears/ect.

Vizio 2016 P65, Denon x2200, Elac C5, A4 and 2x F5
PS4 Pro, AMD Vega 56, 360, and Plex
Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunknet View Post

My friend is about to buy the LG 32LC7D. We looked at it in Best Buy and I think it would be a much better option than a lower tier brand (such as Vizio).

Vizio's panels are made by LG.Philips man. Same stuff, Vizio is just as good as LG. Except less money, not to mention Vizio has much more connections.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:27 PM

I bought the KDL32ML130 model (advertised in Walmart) on the Sony outlet website a couple of years ago. I don't think that this was a model that are "exclusive" to any stores (e.g. Walmart). What I did notice when I was there is that the models that are sold in the 'discount' department stores such as Walmart, KMart or Target seemed to be 'older' models that were being discounted and discontinued by Sony. Best Buy had the latest models of the TV.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Walmart models may differ slightly from the regular product model in small ways. I had a Pioneer DVD hard disc recorder that had a model number of 531. It was the same as the Pioneer model 533 except for lacking a firewire connection for a camcorder.

The price at Walmart was a couple of hundred less than other retailers offering the regular model. I had no need for the extra connection and saved the bucks. Worked fine and came with the same owner's manual as the other non Walmart model.

With tvs, the Walmart model may have one fewer connection, or, a less fancy remote. They are not made with spare parts picked up from the factory floor.

Besides, with a 90 day return policy at Walmart, you have ample opportunity to test a product thoroughly.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Why would you pay $800 for a 32" at walmart???? Get a decent set from a decent retailer.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Vizio's panels are made by LG.Philips man. Same stuff, Vizio is just as good as LG. Except less money, not to mention Vizio has much more connections.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but this is not the case. If it were, parts would be available to fix Vizio televisions, which is not the case. This is the same thing Best Buy employees spew out about Insignia. There may be a smattering of LG/Philips parts inside, but they are not manufactured by LG/Philips.

Quote:

I bought the KDL32ML130 model (advertised in Walmart) on the Sony outlet website a couple of years ago. I don't think that this was a model that are "exclusive" to any stores (e.g. Walmart). What I did notice when I was there is that the models that are sold in the 'discount' department stores such as Walmart, KMart or Target seemed to be 'older' models that were being discounted and discontinued by Sony. Best Buy had the latest models of the TV.

It is very common to re-build older sets using parts from previous models. This can be seen in something as plain as the menu system. I have been into Wal-mart stores and was able to page through the menu system on a few Sony sets. It was the same interface, look, color, feel, settings as a series of Sony televisions from 2 years prior.

Quote:

So the sony bravio 32 inch at walmart is the same tv i would get at a sony dealer?

No.

Big Box stores will start from the bottom and work their way up, typically stopping just short of the "high end". Most normal retailers will start from the top down, including the "high end" and excluding the "low end". A normal retailer cannot make enough selling the "low end" product to justify carrying it and most do not want to have the poorer quality product attached to their companies name, even if it is a Sony. I have seen the insides of some of the M/L/N/etc/etc Sony televisions and the logo on the front of the TV is about as involved as Sony gets.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Snowblowers are not Televisions...i know...but...a while ago there was a broadcast program concerning a snowblower/lawnmover manufacuter that had its product sold at Walmart.

Walmart promised to discontinue selling because they could not offer it at low enough price if the manufacturer would not make product cheaper.... by using, what the manufacturer considered inferior parts. The product would still have the same power rating, etc. But in the manufacturer eyes be an inferior product.

Walmart no longer carries the product....but the manufacturer still has his good name. i don't know if television manufacturers would be willing to replace with inferior parts, but they still could get same rating results, but product would not hold up as well. If the outside looks the same...the standards inside might not be....just a thought.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by steam engine View Post

Snowblowers are not Televisions...i know...but...a while ago there was a broadcast program concerning a snowblower/lawnmover manufacuter that had its product sold at Walmart.

Walmart promised to discontinue selling because they could not offer it at low enough price if the manufacturer would not make product cheaper.... by using, what the manufacturer considered inferior parts. The product would still have the same power rating, etc. But in the manufacturer eyes be an inferior product.

Walmart no longer carries the product....but the manufacturer still has his good name. i don't know if television manufacturers would be willing to replace with inferior parts, but they still could get same rating results, but product would not hold up as well. If the outside looks the same...the standards inside might not be....just a thought.

Walmart does push the price envelope with it's suppliers. How they meet the price point is up to the manufacturer, ultimately.

Lots of products sold at Walmart feature modern, but not cutting edge, features. This let's manufacturers use their last generation designs (that work perfectly fine) and recoup some of the R&D money that went into them.

If you want cutting edge, go cutting edge. If you want value, Walmart is a good place to look. Kids gaming on an LCD in their rooms don't need 240mz processing, etc.

I've purchased high end and Walmart items, for different uses. I've never had an issue with a Walmart purchase, and with triple the return period that BB has, I've felt secure that if I did have an issue I could merely take it back and start over with something else.

I just bought a Vizio 42" LCD for my son who watches a ton of baseball in HD. The set was under $600 and has a beautiful picture. The set was so cheap, I picked up a Magnavox Blu Ray player for him for under a hundred bucks.

I didn't need super new features (like frame interpolation, led backlighting, etc), and the price was right.

Bought everything with a credit card, which doubles my warranty.

This is why Walmart is selling TVs in volume, although probably not the 1st choice of online-shashki members, who want the latest, greatest, and most expensive toys to play with.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Why would you pay $800 for a 32" at walmart???? Get a decent set from a decent retailer.

because the original post is from march 08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement