1 2 3 ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Titan-615 General Discussion Thread
eng-399's Avatar eng-399 04:46 PM 01-10-2017
The Titan-615 Speaker

I'm sure there will be a new thread started tonight from Matt or Erich telling us all about this. I'm super excited about it.

I'll take three please

WereWolf84's Avatar WereWolf84 04:50 PM 01-10-2017
Thanks Mike, just saw it, looks similar to JBL 4722 any ideas who is the designer?
luisev's Avatar luisev 04:54 PM 01-10-2017
Alright, who's buying a pair and when can we expect a build thread? lmfa
Samps's Avatar Samps 04:56 PM 01-10-2017
Response looks awesome. Might be a little wobbly being 4 feet tall and only a foot deep.
eng-399's Avatar eng-399 04:59 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Thanks Mike, just saw it, looks similar to JBL 4722 any ideas who is the designer?

Matt G and Erich please tell us more about this.
eng-399's Avatar eng-399 05:00 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Alright, who's buying a pair and when can we expect a build thread? lmfa

I'm buying three the day these are for sale!
WereWolf84's Avatar WereWolf84 05:08 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Matt G and Erich please tell us more about this.
@mtg90
@Erich H
NWCgrad's Avatar NWCgrad 05:29 PM 01-10-2017
That would have been a heck of a lot easier than my build!!!!!

Looks like a killer speaker, sort of a 3730 JBL PRO Cinema but with a single LF driver.
saevox's Avatar saevox 05:32 PM 01-10-2017
Wish I had known before i got my 1299's...Looks EPIC.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
18Hurts 05:33 PM 01-10-2017
The 615 makes me wish I was single

Then I would take my Fusion 10 mains and use them for surrounds--the beast mains would make the 10's look smaller.

Will the Titan 615 get the best of CES award? After looking at most of the stuff, it is a contender.

They get the tease of the week from me--I'm assuming the 6 stands for a closed back cone driver for the mid and the 15 is the bass bin driver? I can see using the tweed grill material that Klipsch uses on the bass bin and give it that 60's Mad Men look.

Niiiice!
TheWorkz's Avatar TheWorkz 05:39 PM 01-10-2017
I was just getting ready to order 3 HTM-12's, but this new homepage teaser has me excited and now i'm going to wait!! I'm assuming they'll be a bit more though.
eng-399's Avatar eng-399 05:47 PM 01-10-2017
The Anticipation waiting on the official thread to be started for these with pictures and graphs then to be able to buy them. @TheWorkz wait for these if you have the space trust me they sound excellent.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 05:54 PM 01-10-2017
Nooooo! Not 25 inches wide. My baffle is 20 inches.
TheWorkz's Avatar TheWorkz 06:00 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
The Anticipation waiting on the official thread to be started for these with pictures and graphs then to be able to buy them. @TheWorkz wait for these if you have the space trust me they sound excellent.
I have the room for them, no problem at all behind the AT screen. I have held off on building my false wall just in case I need to make more room. Holding off for a bit will allow me save a few more bucks for them. Can't wait!
Jk7.2's Avatar Jk7.2 06:10 PM 01-10-2017
These do look perfect. I have the room. I'll get in line for three!
cellarnoise 06:12 PM 01-10-2017
These look tasty!

So far pure VAPOR.... So sad that small business is often unresponsive to customer needs for info kidding!

Can these be inverted and made only 11" deep?

Why only 50hz to drop off! At this size they should go to -10hz.
filtor1's Avatar filtor1 06:41 PM 01-10-2017
Very cool!! Can't wait to see some of these.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 07:05 PM 01-10-2017
The Titan was a something I wanted to do a long time ago when the Maximus thread was started to see what people might want in a 3-way. Long story short, that thread went a bit over the top and gave us the Maximus-18, which later got dual woofers and called the 1899....Bwaslo did the crossover work for that crazy idea. And of course the Maximus-12 that Jeff Bagby helped with.

Tux had just finished up the 1299 and a flat pack ended up being a bit too big for shipping, which pretty much meant a bigger 1599 couldn't have a flat pack either. So I started thinking of a dual 15" 3-way beast using the horns that sit above a more flat pack friendly cabinet. But the enclosure size still ended up too big with dual woofers and it also got pretty tall.

Then after hearing a single 12" Magnum woofer Eminence made for us, I realized we could probably get some incredible output with the right 15" woofer. I talked with MTG90 and he modeled/tested a few 15's that were okay, but we wanted something crazier. Last year Eminence offered to make a 15" version of the Magnum-12 with the santoprene surround, but the sensitivity wasn't going to be as high as we wanted. So it ended up using a pro audio surround that allowed for a high X-max but also kept the sensitivity high enough. After some testing......yeh, it's a powerful beast.....and the project began.

I believe this 15" can move twice as much air as most pro audio woofers.

Feast your eyes on a video that MTG90 took:

Another:

eng-399's Avatar eng-399 07:16 PM 01-10-2017
Man that thing moves! Erich can you elaborate on the rest of the speaker to with what speakers/cd's are being used. Awesome video of it.
bgtighe23's Avatar bgtighe23 07:21 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Response looks awesome. Might be a little wobbly being 4 feet tall and only a foot deep.
As with many DIY projects, a little ingenuity can go along way and in this case, some outriggers.
brian6751's Avatar brian6751 07:24 PM 01-10-2017
wow
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 07:26 PM 01-10-2017
MTG90 did his final crossover tweaks a few weeks ago, so the design is 100% complete and I'll get that info listed very soon. I only have about 12-16 of the top sections right now, but more are on the way and should be here in a month or so. I can't get them shipped in boxes from DHL because their size is too big to justify the shipping cost, so they need to ship slower on a pallet.

MKTheater, you could make them 20" wide, but you'd have to make a deeper cabinet.
bgtighe23's Avatar bgtighe23 07:28 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
MTG90 did his final crossover tweaks a few weeks ago, so the design is 100% complete and I'll get that info listed very soon. I only have about 12-16 of the top sections right now, but more are on the way and should be here in a month or so. I can't get them shipped in boxes from DHL because their size is too big to justify the shipping cost, so they need to ship slower on a pallet.

MKTheater, you could make them 20" wide, but you'd have to make a deeper cabinet.
is there going to be optional configs since you are going to be able to offer a flat pack?
Ex: slot port
Samps's Avatar Samps 07:35 PM 01-10-2017
What is the width of the horn section?

Price?
Scrappydue's Avatar Scrappydue 07:45 PM 01-10-2017
Anyone else notice the weights in the background of the video? I mean Matt might be the coolest man on earth. He just sits around all day, lifts weights, and designs speakers!

Excited to see more info on these.
Fattykidd's Avatar Fattykidd 07:50 PM 01-10-2017
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why.... My New years resolution was to leave my system alone this year...

Awaiting price and specs...
corradizo's Avatar corradizo 07:51 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The Titan was a something I wanted to do a long time ago when the Maximus thread was started to see what people might want in a 3-way. Long story short, that thread went a bit over the top and gave us the Maximus-18, which later got dual woofers and called the 1899....Bwaslo did the crossover work for that crazy idea. And of course the Maximus-12 that Jeff Bagby helped with.

Tux had just finished up the 1299 and a flat pack ended up being a bit too big for shipping, which pretty much meant a bigger 1599 couldn't have a flat pack either. So I started thinking of a dual 15" 3-way beast using the horns that sit above a more flat pack friendly cabinet. But the enclosure size still ended up too big with dual woofers and it also got pretty tall.

Then after hearing a single 12" Magnum woofer Eminence made for us, I realized we could probably get some incredible output with the right 15" woofer. I talked with MTG90 and he modeled/tested a few 15's that were okay, but we wanted something crazier. Last year Eminence offered to make a 15" version of the Magnum-12 with the santoprene surround, but the sensitivity wasn't going to be as high as we wanted. So it ended up using a pro audio surround that allowed for a high X-max but also kept the sensitivity high enough. After some testing......yeh, it's a powerful beast.....and the project began.

I believe this 15" can move twice as much air as most pro audio woofers.

Feast your eyes on a video that MTG90 took:

Another:

Wow. Any t/s available on that 15?
TheaterChad's Avatar TheaterChad 08:05 PM 01-10-2017
Mike, I bet I have a possible guess : Does this look familiar from your previous GTG? Maybe modified the design a bit? I asked about this very same speaker from the GTG....

eng-399's Avatar eng-399 08:12 PM 01-10-2017
That was the qsc 2150 from cindr (Steve). This speaker sounds a lot better than that one. I think this speaker has much better x/o parts /speakers and cd's. That speaker is pretty bright sounding and doesn't compare to the Titan-615. I wouldn't call it that this is different I'm sure Matt or Erich will update date this thread soon with what there using on it.
Fattykidd's Avatar Fattykidd 08:14 PM 01-10-2017
Quote:
That was the qsc 2150 from cindr (Steve). This speaker sounds a lot better than that one. I think this speaker has much better x/o parts /speakers and cd's. That speaker is pretty bright sounding and doesn't compare to the Titan-615. I wouldn't call it that this is different I'm sure Matt or Erich will update date this thread soon with what there using on it.
C'mon Mike.. Spill the beans. How do they sound? What are they comparable to? I need all the info you got..
1 2 3 ... Last

Up
View Full Version