Forum Jump:
post #1 of 12 Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I attempted to build my own box and came to the conclusion that carpentry just isn't my thing. Does anyone know where I can order a custom box or where I can go to have one built? I'm in the Plano/Frisco Texas area (75009). Upon searching google, I stumbled upon http://klausaudio.com. Even though this is a website for custom subwoofer boxes for car audio applications, I figured they could still build a box fit to my needs, so I entered in the specs for the box I need. My price quote was $575...that aint about to happen. Definitely need something cheaper.

Anyways I'm running a SoundSplinter RL-P15 D2 wired up for a 4ohm load, using a Crest CPX900 amp. Here are the specs I would like for my box:

Single 15" Ported Box

Port Tuning: 15.34hz--Probably need at least a 6" port or two 3" ports to prevent chuffing, since this is a huge 15" subwoofer. Not to mention I'm going to be feeding it 900 watts.

Cut-out Diameter: (13.9763 Inches)

Subwoofer Mounting Depth: (6.88976 Inches)

Subwoofer Displacement: (.18 Cubic Feet)

Net Internal Volume: (9.18 Cubic Feet)

(Precise measurements, I know )

This is a huge box and is obviously going to need some internal bracing. I'm not sure what my outside dimension restrictions are going to be, but I can determine that later and let my box builder know before they start on it.

I appreciate any help.

XBL: Rocko1290
PSN: Rocko1290
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well just for reference, the materials to build my 9.7 cubic foot box (internal) came to about $120. And, that used cheap ABS 3" pipe for my ports, not the $44 6" flared Precision port most would recommend (including Klaus). Also, does the price include carpet? Automotive grade carpet prices can vary from high to insane, and a 9+ cubic foot box could take quite a bit. Still, I would tend to assume they wouldn't build the box to anywhere near my standards or materials, so that would cut costs a little... But how much labor do they charge? Even if it's only at $50/hour (cheap these days), it still adds up really quick for a box of that magnitude.

For less expensive options, I think your best bet is to find a local friend/family member/neighbor who is an amateur woodworker (or professional), and discuss the project with them. Maybe you have some skill to trade for theirs?
post #3 of 12 Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Rocco,
do you even care what shape it is? ballpark the footprint dimensions and we can help get you squared away. I'd like to point out that you will need a high pass filter to protect your sub from over-excursion below tuning.

Regards,
Dan

post #4 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some Home Depots or Lowe's have a cutting service... Go there and order 1 inch MDF.. have them cut it to your specs... all you do is cut the circle and glue it together...I recommended 1 inch so you wont need any bracing.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Chessis woodwork Rochester NY 585 254 3860...Adam Chessis

Kg

He built my whole system !!!

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build /forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #6 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM

I have some extra 1" mdf. I would build it for you, but I live in Pennsylvania and I have no clue how much it would cost to ship it to you.

Couple of posters made some good suggestions already for you. Good luck with your decision. Neo Dan designed my 2 boxes I built, couldn't be happier.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris View Post

Some Home Depots or Lowe's have a cutting service... Go there and order 1 inch MDF.. have them cut it to your specs... all you do is cut the circle and glue it together...I recommended 1 inch so you wont need any bracing.

A 9 cubic foot box is going to need bracing no matter what size the MDF is

post #8 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

Well just for reference, the materials to build my 9.7 cubic foot box (internal) came to about $120. And, that used cheap ABS 3" pipe for my ports, not the $44 6" flared Precision port most would recommend (including Klaus). Also, does the price include carpet? Automotive grade carpet prices can vary from high to insane, and a 9+ cubic foot box could take quite a bit. Still, I would tend to assume they wouldn't build the box to anywhere near my standards or materials, so that would cut costs a little... But how much labor do they charge? Even if it's only at $50/hour (cheap these days), it still adds up really quick for a box of that magnitude.

For less expensive options, I think your best bet is to find a local friend/family member/neighbor who is an amateur woodworker (or professional), and discuss the project with them. Maybe you have some skill to trade for theirs?

I removed the carpet in the options and that only knocked it down about $40. I also bought all the stuff to make my own box including that 6" precision port and I screwed everything up and gave up. This was about a year ago and I have since then had other priorities and have gone without a sub.

post #9 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
9 cubes is about 27x27x27... at that length, 1 inch mdf will not budge. Have you picked up a 1 inch piece? So unless your slapping together an 18 inch Accoupower and powering it with a C4000 amp at 2800 watts in a sealed configuration... I don't think you would be needing it.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Elemental Designs does custom boxes:
http://edesignaudio.com/boxbuilder.php?tab=vented

Or instead of an audio shop, try a small custom cabinet shop. They may be slow now and be willing to take on a small project.

Just a quick yahoo search
Celina Custom Cabinets
(972) 382-2331 See reviews on Local 402 S Oklahoma St # A
Celina, TX Map

Smithhart Custom Woodwork
(972) 382-8505 See reviews on Local 1413 Shelby Ln
Celina, TX Map

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /
post #11 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
maybe someone can help me with this. I was just thinking if i should buy a "seal 2 cubic foot prebuild boxes" from partsexpress and put in a 15" sub in it, then power it with a ep2500 amp. Would it sound better than hsu sub? If so, which 15" sub? or 12"? maybe a pair?
post #12 of 12 Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in Shreveport, so a little over 3 hours away, if you would want to drive and pick something up. I owned my own car stereo shop for years and have built hundreds of sub cabinets. I have built numerous SPL vehicles back in the day with many topping 150db and a couple topping 160s. Now I do it mostly as a hobby and it is "fun" again.

A cabinet the size you are looking at will require at least 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF ($25 each). I use slot ports and router the edges, so there is no expense for the flared round stuff. Glue and brad nails would probably add another $25. $200ish for a day of my time and you could have a raw MDF box to your specifications or I can design it if you prefer as long as you give me some max dimensions to play with. If you want it carpeted, I could do a black or charcoal gray carpet for another $30ish or I could have my son do a coat of spray in bed-liner on it for $100ish depending on how many tubes of the bed-liner stuff he uses.

I am about to build 2 new 12" end-table cabinets for myself, so if you decide you want something "prettier", I will have to see how much of a PITA trimming out and staining these cabinets are before I give any sort of pricing. I am betting labor and wood would both be double the cost. One option if you want, I am getting rid of my old 15" woofer, cabinet, and amp. If you want to buy my old raw wood cabinet, I would sell it to you for $125. It works out to be a tad over 8 ft^3 and is tuned at 21hz. The cut-out for the woofer is 14 1/8", so depending on how large the lip on your driver is, I may need to add another face onto it with a slightly smaller cut-out.

/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899728
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page