Forum Jump:
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Partyslammer's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I did a search of old threads on this subject but have never found a definitive answer whether Kill Bill V1 was released "uncut" on Blu-ray in Japan like the dvd was. Anyone know?
Partyslammer is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Kannisto's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's not released yet in Japan on Blu-ray (coming out in May), but it has been announced to be the "U.S. version" with runtime of 111 minutes so it doesn't seem like it would be the Japanese uncut edition...

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
Kannisto is offline
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Member

tw1zt3d's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: san diego
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i thought they were the same run time, just that the japanese version doesnt fade to black n white during the restaurant fight scene...
tw1zt3d is offline

Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Member

TGWTG's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a whole bunch of violent scenes that are missing in the U.S version(some censored while others appear a little shorter) and a few more scenes concerning the little yakuza kid during the restaurant fight.

Here's the full list with screencaps: http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1588

I curently own the Japanese DVD(which comes with tons of bonus materials) but i do hope they'll release the uncut blu-ray soon.
TGWTG is offline
Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Partyslammer's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWTG View Post

There's a whole bunch of violent scenes that are missing in the U.S version(some censored while others appear a little shorter) and a few more scenes concerning the little yakuza kid during the restaurant fight.

Here's the full list with screencaps: http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1588

I currently own the Japanese DVD(which comes with tons of bonus materials) but i do hope they'll release the uncut blu-ray soon.

Yeah, I have the Region 2 dvd release as well, but the transfer is pretty harsh looking compared to the US dvd release (not even talking about the outstanding BR release). A LOT of edge enhancement.
Partyslammer is offline
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

bdwright77's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't there a rumored "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" blu ray release for the US? I guess the key here is "rumored" but it would be nice.
bdwright77 is offline
Old 02-26-2010, 11:43 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Deviation's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 2,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

Wasn't there a rumored "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" blu ray release for the US? I guess the key here is "rumored" but it would be nice.

That's been rumored and talked about for years now, on both DVD and Blu-ray. I'm wondering at this point if it will ever happen.

I always liked the black and white scene in the tea house but if the eventual Japanese release turns out to be the uncut version, I think I'd have to pick that up as well.
Deviation is offline
Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

eric.exe's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

That's been rumored and talked about for years now, on both DVD and Blu-ray. I'm wondering at this point if it will ever happen.

I always liked the black and white scene in the tea house but if the eventual Japanese release turns out to be the uncut version, I think I'd have to pick that up as well.

Japanese cut version would be cool, but English subs won't popup for the Japanese parts in a Japanese release (most likely).
eric.exe is online now
Old 02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

curtishd's Avatar

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well original Miramax (Disney) owned it but then Weinstein owned it but recently sold the rights to someone else so who know if and when we will actually see it. I just don't understand why it doesn't get released when the opportune times came and went like when IB was released and even Grindhouse: Death Proof. It seems like the studios don't want my money because I and willing to spend it. I would even take a special/collectors edition of the KB movies with lots of bonus features.
curtishd is online now
Old 02-26-2010, 12:30 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Josh Z's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 23,069
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Well original Miramax (Disney) owned it but then Weinstein owned it but recently sold the rights to someone else

To clarify:

- Disney owns the rights to the US theatrical versions of Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2.
- Universal owns the rights (in Japan) to the Japanese theatrical cuts.
- Weinstein owns the rights to the (theoretical) Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair, if it were ever to be released.

Weinstein recently signed a new distribution agreement with Sony. However, Weinstein still owns its own catalog. They didn't sell the movies to Sony. Sony would just distribute them for Weinstein (much as Fox distributes for MGM).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline
Old 03-26-2010, 07:21 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

mrhan's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto View Post

It's not released yet in Japan on Blu-ray (coming out in May), but it has been announced to be the "U.S. version" with runtime of 111 minutes so it doesn't seem like it would be the Japanese uncut edition...

I hope not since it's Universal that owns the Japanese cut and I'm sure Disney won't be releasing it there.
mrhan is offline
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Member

tyee's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Here it is - http://yesasia.com/us/kill-bill-...0-en/info.html

Can't find anything that gives us a clue to the version other than "Japan Version" ??

Here too - http://cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNXF-1082

I guess it is the US version after all
tyee is offline
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

BIG ED's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Weinstein recently signed a new distribution agreement with Sony. However, Weinstein still owns its own catalog. They didn't sell the movies to Sony. Sony would just distribute them for Weinstein (much as Fox distributes for MGM).

Thanks for that, Josh. It seems too me good news as I would think Sony would wish too release this title (whatever that may be) & I generally like Sony's latest BD transfers.

I always wanted the "Cannes" version; I'll most likely never see that on BD.
Some fun rumors of the "WBA" was that it might be in chronological order.
I'm just looking forward too any new vision/version & a 'one flick' styled "KB" would suit me fine.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Robert George's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Posts: 3,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The uncut version with proper English subtitles does exist in HD. I have seen a 720p rip of an HDTV source, but I don't know where this was originally shown.

Finding it might be a trick. Good luck with that.
Robert George is offline
Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Member

hlindstr's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George View Post

The uncut version with proper English subtitles does exist in HD. I have seen a 720p rip of an HDTV source, but I don't know where this was originally shown.

Finding it might be a trick. Good luck with that.

I'm pretty sure that the "uncut HDTV version" you mentioned has all the extra/extended Japanese scenes upscaled from the R2J dvd.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oppo UDP-203 and Oppo BDP-83 both hw modded
Apple TV 4K 32GB
LG OLED55E6V 55"
hlindstr is offline
Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Kannisto's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Geneon Universal's own web pages identify the upcoming Japanese releases as U.S. versions also:
http://db.geneonuniversal.jp/search/...ftid=GNXF-1082
http://db.geneonuniversal.jp/search/...ftid=GNXF-1083

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
Kannisto is offline
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

lgans316's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barking, Essex, London
Posts: 6,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto View Post

Geneon Universal's own web pages identify the upcoming Japanese releases as U.S. versions also:
http://db.geneonuniversal.jp/search/...ftid=GNXF-1082
http://db.geneonuniversal.jp/search/...ftid=GNXF-1083

Yeah. What a shame. Listed in amazon.co.jp as US Version.

Blu-ray : 340
lgans316 is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Thread Tools


Forum Jump:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off