Forum Jump:
Old 03-18-2015, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Paint Sprayer help....

Hey guys...

What's the current recommendation on paint sprayers? I need something to paint some furniture, but additionally, something that might work to do the theater. I probably won't spray a screen (planning for AT), but would like the option should that change....

I know the Wagner is recommended, but not sure what version, and/or if another type/model is better...

budget is flexible to a degree, but don't want to spend more than Wagner type money unless it would really be worth it...

As an aside, I also already have a decent air compressor setup if an HVLP system should be considered, though I've gathered that spraying latex is best left to the airless setups...

Thanks for any help! (and let me know if i should move this question to another sub-forum...)

-j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently purchased a Wagner HVLP for spraying some french doors during an office remodel. It worked phenomenally well, with zero sputter and a good even coat. I have a love/hate relationship with paint sprayers, but this one has moved the needle more towards the love side.

I used Sherwin Williams Emerald latex paint in there with no issues.

http://homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Pa...z11cv0Z1z11cv2
Old 03-18-2015, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themahoneys View Post
I recently purchased a Wagner HVLP for spraying some french doors during an office remodel. It worked phenomenally well, with zero sputter and a good even coat. I have a love/hate relationship with paint sprayers, but this one has moved the needle more towards the love side.

I used Sherwin Williams Emerald latex paint in there with no issues.

http://homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Pa...z11cv0Z1z11cv2
Interesting... Thanks for sharing...

I actually have several doors to paint, and with the same paint to boot!

Did you need to thin your paint at all? or did you spray as mixed at Sherwin Williams?

-j

Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
Interesting... Thanks for sharing...

I actually have several doors to paint, and with the same paint to boot!

Did you need to thin your paint at all? or did you spray as mixed at Sherwin Williams?

-j
I just dumped straight from the can to the hopper. That's one of the things I loved about it. Previous purchases I've made has had me playing chemist trying to figure out the appropriate balance of thinner to paint.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themahoneys View Post
I just dumped straight from the can to the hopper. That's one of the things I loved about it. Previous purchases I've made has had me playing chemist trying to figure out the appropriate balance of thinner to paint.
That's great to hear!

Simple + Easy = Good...

any gotchas when it comes to cleanup? (I've cleaned up the pro models you rent at Sherwin Williams and Home Depot a few times... hopefully it isn't any worse than that)

-j
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
That's great to hear!

Simple + Easy = Good...

any gotchas when it comes to cleanup? (I've cleaned up the pro models you rent at Sherwin Williams and Home Depot a few times... hopefully it isn't any worse than that)

-j
Cleanup was a piece of cake. I just wiped off the nozzle, rinsed the hopper, and ran some thinner through it. This seemed to clear out all of the lines the best and prevented a weird mix of colors whenever I swapped to a different tint. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes but could probably be done in less if you don't have as severe of a case of OCD as I do.

I did learn to be mindful of where the hose is at all times. I accidentally ran it through some overspray and it tracked paint all over the place. Other than that, the different spray patterns and the nozzles that came with it in the box were more than what I needed to get the doors and some other painting done that I needed. I especially liked the ability to swap between horizontal/vertical and wide/narrow with the flick of a switch.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hey guys...

What's the current recommendation on paint sprayers? I need something to paint some furniture, but additionally, something that might work to do the theater. I probably won't spray a screen (planning for AT), but would like the option should that change....

I know the Wagner is recommended, but not sure what version, and/or if another type/model is better...

budget is flexible to a degree, but don't want to spend more than Wagner type money unless it would really be worth it...

As an aside, I also already have a decent air compressor setup if an HVLP system should be considered, though I've gathered that spraying latex is best left to the airless setups...

Thanks for any help! (and let me know if i should move this question to another sub-forum...)

-j
I bought a Graco sprayer from Lowes when I bought this house. It was around $200. I was able to paint 13, six panel, doors in a couple hours. Totally paid for itself that afternoon. Have used it with latex, and deck stain with great results!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys... I just bought the Wagner Flexio 890 today from Home Depot.... Was limited by selection, and needed both sprayer options... (One is listed as fine finish, the other says it puts down a roller like texture). I think I need the finer finish option for the furniture vs my walls....

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Flex...021/204784242/

Sorta wish I was in the position to spray a screen just to test things out for folks in that use case...

But now I'm also wondering if I need to get some flowtrol to get that lacquer smooth finish I want on the furniture. I'll be using valspar(lowes brand, unfortunately can't change that choice for a few reasons....)

I'll update here after doing some spraying all weekend with a bit of a review... Curious about the claims of almost no overspray compared to the airless models you can rent at Sherwin Williams. I've painted whole houses with those, and still look like a snowman at the end of the day even with a body suit. Thank god for respirators...
-j

Last edited by jcr159; 03-19-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well having been around professional spray painters I would highly recommend using a strainer to put the paint from the can to the spray paint pot..

This will eliminate and small materials that might be there in the paint from clogging your gun and causing a paint disaster..

Old 03-21-2015, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
Well having been around professional spray painters I would highly recommend using a strainer to put the paint from the can to the spray paint pot..

This will eliminate and small materials that might be there in the paint from clogging your gun and causing a paint disaster..

Great advice, thanks! Though I learned that one the hard way!

So far it's been an adventure.... Between coats of primer now, and let's just say that hvlp is WAAAYYYY different than all my airless experience. Technique is the same roughly, but the constant airstream is disconcerting and something that requires adjustment. Basically, since the airstream never stops, you have to be careful not to point the gun over a previous stripe you painted or the air can mess up the finish... Especially if the paint is a bit heavy, it can blow the paint into a bit of a pool where it will look like a drip or sag...

I'm also thinning the heck out of the paint to get a super smooth finish, though remember I'm painting furniture in this job.... Painting a room, the texture wouldn't bother me, but it might if it was a screen....

More to come as I make progress... Maybe I'll get some photos for posterity in case someone finds it helpful...

-j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement