Forum Jump:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Title should say LED TV, sorry.

Hey guys. I did some searching on this and the consensus I found is NOT to mount any TV's to the wall in drywall without studs. I also know that new LED TV's are marginally lighter than older plasma/LCD televisions. I am moving into a new apartment, and want to order a mount ahead of time so it's ready when I move. I did not have a chance to check with a stud sensor unfortunately.

Questions:
1. I have a 46" Samsung LED TV, and it's 35lbs + 5 or so for a mount. Would this be safe to mount using like 12 toggle bolts? I could also use something like this, which is supposed to support up to 100lbs with no studs:
(can't post links, centronics.com/product.php?id=374

2. My next question is since I'm mounting over a fireplace, I could just set it on the mantle, except it is only 6" deep and the TV stand is about 10". Could I set it there and also wall-mount it to keep it from tipping over? Any advice?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM

I think you would be fine with the toggle bolts as long as you don't install an articulating screen that extends away from the wall. I have one like that, and you have to exert a lot of force on the mount to move the TV around.

If you're going to set the TV in place once and not move it around, then I think it'll be fine. Toggle bolts are pretty damn strong, and a dozen should hold just fine.

Having said all that, I'm pretty skeptical that you won't be able to find any studs in the wall. They should be every 12-16 inches, so you should be able to hit at least 2 studs with any wall mount. I would try a stud finder. The area above my fireplace has studs right behind the sheetrock, for comparison.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 PM

i wouldnt use the TV as a guinea pig.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:25 PM

If you can't find any studs, move out of the apartment
Old 12-04-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I guess I'm just being pessimistic. There might be aluminum studs rather than wood, and that's what I'm really afraid of. The TV will be on a slim profile mount that won't extend, so it won't be touched at all.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd feel a lot more relaxed if you could atleast find one stud. Couple bolts in the stud and then toggle bolts on the other end would be better. How old is the drywall?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I would not trust standard toggle bolts in drywall. The relatively thin screw is likely to dig into the drywall with significant weight applied. Maybe something like this:

Just be aware drywall isn't intended to support significant loads by itself.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewK View Post

studs...should be every 12-16 inches...

24" is not uncommon for interior non-load bearing walls.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would open the wall behind where the tv will be mounted, and construct a frame using pieces of 2X4. Then replace the drywall, and repair the area. While the wall is open, you could add the proper wiring/connections, for a clean, professional look. I would not trust any combination of toggle bolts etc. to hold up an expensive tv.

Edit: I just reread the original post. You say "apartment", so that implies (to me) a rental place. So, maybe my suggestion is no good to you. Depends on the landlord. He might be ok with the wall modification, if you supply the labor and supplies. Or not. If he isn't, then I would suggest one of those tv media stands, wherein the flat screen is supported above the unit itself, by a frame. That way no wall modifications are required.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Liked: 15
It would be very simple to cut a hole in the drywall that your TV and bracket cover, determine where the studs are, and install pieces of 2x4 backing mounted horizontally spanning across where your bracket is to be mounted.

To attach these 2x4's to the studs counter measure in front of the drywall, and install 3-3.5" screws on an angle through the drywall, into your new backing, through into the studs.

The TV covers the nasty hole, and you have just 8 screw head size holes to fill and repaint.

This is assuming you're not renting, and its not steel studs used to back frame the fireplace, and there are no usable studs, of course.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 115
The first Commandment of hanging heavy objects on walls is: Thou shalt run lag bolts into studs.

Personally, I wouldn't hang a TV onto the wall with just a bunch of drywall anchors.

If the landlord isn't cool with the idea of you cutting a hole to put in reinforcements, they probably aren't cool with you plugging a bunch of big drywall anchors all in one spot on the wall... Either way you'll have to fix up the wall before you move out.

-Suntan
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM

I wouldn't do it. I've had 15 pound guitars pull anchors out of drywall that were rated up to 60 pounds. Luckily they only fell 2 feet onto carpet, so they weren't damaged.

Do it the right way and attach it to the studs, or don't hang it on the wall.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do not just do drywall....especially if there is a remote chance of an earthquake - it might be you that thing lands on, or someone you love.

Why the fear of aluminum or steel studs? If thats what they are, just get a #7 drill, a 1/4-20 tap and make your self some tapped holes for the screws. Alternatively, go to Lowes or Home Depot, get some #10 or 1/4-20 self tapping screws (and the correct drill for whichever one you get - makes it easier if you pilot the hole first). You'll have the strongest mount you can possibly get. Oh, and get some fender washers (they are larger in diameter than normal flat washers).
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM

1/4-20 screws in a metal stud might not be much safer than using good anchors in drywall. The metal isn't thick enough to have enough threads to hold safely. 20 gauge stud is about .032" thick, less than one thread. Minimum grip should be at least three threads.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah, I was thinking that after I posted.....should try for something with UNF threads (10-32 or so). Or a small molly bolt would be fairly strong if you can get it to engage.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I would do toggle bolts into the metal studs. That would hold pretty good. The self tapping screws may work but like was said before, they dont have enough material to grab.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

...10-32...

That will get you about one thread, which still isn't enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement