Forum Jump:
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, this is rather curious.

I have in my house two Sony Blu-Ray players of differing models, and my mother (30 miles away) has another Sony Blu-Ray player - about two days ago all of them began streaming Netflix only in a very low resolution. The same Blu-Ray players stream Hulu in HD, and my Xbox 360 also still streams Netflix in HD.

I realize sony just kind of sucks at everything these days, has anyone else experienced this, or has my family been cursed by Sony (if the PS3 and laptop are any indication, I would say so).

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never did notice before, but I don't think my ps3 or bdp270 stream metflix in hd is there any way to check whether it is or not??
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am noticing it on my Sony TV (hx800) and my Sony Blu-Ray player(bdsps570) as we speak and I actually came here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Luckily I have multiple ways of viewing Netflix in my home so I'm not forced to use either one. But it is pretty frustrating....

Old 06-11-2011, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJimmyFalconxX View Post

I never did notice before, but I don't think my ps3 or bdp270 stream metflix in hd is there any way to check whether it is or not??

On the PS3, you can press the ( i think select button ) and data in the top left of the screen will appear telling you your resolution, bandwidth stream, and other data.

Gsimmons, you in the S.F bay area? Or is the problem more widespread? I called tech support, and was told about 5 times to make sure I was using an HDMI cable and not to download anything while streaming. A real crack squad they have over there, must be the same group that's in charge of IT security.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post

On the PS3, you can press the ( i think select button ) and data in the top left of the screen will appear telling you your resolution, bandwidth stream, and other data.

Gsimmons, you in the S.F bay area? Or is the problem more widespread? I called tech support, and was told about 5 times to make sure I was using an HDMI cable and not to download anything while streaming. A real crack squad they have over there, must be the same group that's in charge of IT security.

I'm in San Diego. I didn't even bother to call Sony because I knew they'd give me the standard "check your cables" or "maybe its your connection" response. I'm just hoping that it goes back to normal on its own soon.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM

I noticed the same thing starting on Thursday. That morning I watched a movie in HD, that afternoon I tried watching something else and it wasn't in HD. I tried resetting everything (router/modem/player/etc) with no luck. My connection is fine and I can stream HD on my computers, so it's something with Sony.

From looking around online a bit, I believe that all Sony electronics that stream Netflix go through Sony servers and that's most likely where the problem is. The fact that Sony doesn't allow you to stream directly from Netflix is the issue. I don't know if their servers have just been overloaded or they've been doing some kind of maintenance and that is the issue. I'm going to be calling them on Monday to ask what the deal is.

Edit: Just so you know, I'm having this issue and I live in Virginia.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same problem in the Baltimore area. Sony always seems to be screwing something up, it seems.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM

Personally i couldn't be bothered getting all thish to work so i just got a Roku
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM

I am having the same trouble. I bought a BDP-S580 last night and was shocked at the low quality that was being displayed for Netflix. It looked like we were watching a VHS tape. Even the wife noticed.

Setup: 32" 720p LCD, HDMI cable, Sony player was set to 720p over wireless connection (hoping it detected the n-channel). I went to the trouble to string a network cable, and that improved things. But only a little bit. It still looked like a VHS tape. I haven't tried any of the other on-line channels yet, other than youtube. That looked ok and as expected for the home-made clips we watched.

I hope Sony fix's this quickly, otherwise I'm returning this and going with another brand. Our Nintendo Wii at 480p and wireless 54g is WAY better.

Edit: it is connected at 802.11n (2.4GHz). Had to go to the wireless router to see what the player was connecting at.

SACD library.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_nylund View Post

Personally i couldn't be bothered getting all thish to work so i just got a Roku

That might be an option for me as well. I wanted a blu-ray player for the bedroom that could stream netflix. maybe a cheap walmart blu-ray and a Roku is the answer.

SACD library.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM

I did find this Sony support link for Netflix.

In the troubleshooting list at the bottom there is a link for "Streaming Netflix® video displays in low resolution." Unfortunately the FAQ/Troubleshooting site is "down for maintenance" I figure if Sony cannot get this fixed by next Friday, it's going back to BB. They have a nice Samsung onsale this week that looks to be similar in features to the S780.

SACD library.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I saw that part of their eSupport site was "down for maintenance" since Friday at least. I'm not sure if it's related to their other server problems or what. It's probably just a basic checklist of things to check anyways, stuff that anyone with common sense would have looked at before going to that site.

I'm giving it till Wednesday, then I'll just order a Roku and forget about it. Part of me wants jump on Sony about this but I don't feel like dealing with the morons they staff on customer service. I'll just know better than to buy anything from in the future.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM

I just tested it out today at 1:15est on Monday and while the Netflix menu comes up and I can see my queue, when I try to watch anything I get a message "The network is down."

Maybe they're fixing it, or not...
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Liked: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taison82 View Post

From looking around online a bit, I believe that all Sony electronics that stream Netflix go through Sony servers and that's most likely where the problem is. The fact that Sony doesn't allow you to stream directly from Netflix is the issue. I don't know if their servers have just been overloaded or they've been doing some kind of maintenance and that is the issue.

Although you may need to sign in to your Sony device, I don't think Sony stores and streams NF content .. once signed in, you are streaming direct from NF servers

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Although you may need to sign in to your Sony device, I don't think Sony stores and streams NF content .. once signed in, you are streaming direct from NF servers

I'm signed in, checked that a few times after looking online last Friday.

The problem starting last week was that it streamed NF content, just not in HD like it should have (and did previously). NF through my computer streamed in HD just fine and some other services through my Sony blu-ray streamed in HD, just not Netflix in HD. It's not the connection or NF as far as I can tell (I have a 10 meg connection that was streaming HD fine on the player prior to this).

It seems strange that multiple people report the same problem at the same. Other brands of blu-ray and Roku players don't seem to be having this issue at the moment as far as I know.

I don't think they store it either, but the way I understood it your media requests on the players go through their servers, so if there's an issue and it tells the Netflix server your bandwidth is very low or something of that nature, then NF will send out very low quality content.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Just adding my voice to the chorus to say the same thing is happening. Netflix was streaming in HD just fine until about the middle of last week on our Sony BDP-S570/BX57. Annoying D:
Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Signed on just now to see if the servers were at least "Under Maintenance" but I didn't even get that. Still the same ugly problem. Sony has been dropping the ball big time in alot of areas lately.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taison82 View Post

I'm signed in, checked that a few times after looking online last Friday.

The problem starting last week was that it streamed NF content, just not in HD like it should have (and did previously). NF through my computer streamed in HD just fine and some other services through my Sony blu-ray streamed in HD, just not Netflix in HD. It's not the connection or NF as far as I can tell (I have a 10 meg connection that was streaming HD fine on the player prior to this).

It seems strange that multiple people report the same problem at the same. Other brands of blu-ray and Roku players don't seem to be having this issue at the moment as far as I know.

I don't think they store it either, but the way I understood it your media requests on the players go through their servers, so if there's an issue and it tells the Netflix server your bandwidth is very low or something of that nature, then NF will send out very low quality content.

NF has issued an update during that timeframe .. did you DL that yet .. ??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

NF has issued an update during that timeframe .. did you DL that yet .. ??

I've tried updating my player firmware (last time about 2 hours ago, it was up to date) and reset all the streaming content. I'm not aware of a NF only update available for the players. If there is then it could be an issue.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM

I decided to google a bit and look on some other forums and I'm seeing the same issue with Sony devices.

One person said they contacted Netflix and the company said they have gotten reports of this issue on Sony devices and their engineers are looking into the problem.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:35 PM

Just got off the phone with Netflix support and they say they are aware of a poor quality streaming with Sony Blu Ray Netflix Ready Devices. They further said they have noticed this with Sony Blu Ray Netflix Ready Devices as opposed to other models. We have noticed a bit of poor quality with our HP laptop which has a HD screen also as of today.

They further said they do not have any ETA on the issue but that their engineers are working on the issue. Apparently the problem started just recently.

Victor
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM

I'm watching an HD NF feed one of my my PS3's as I type this .. no problems ..

Uncle Willie

Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 101
For those with Sony TV's (at least on my EX700), you can roughly estimate the resolution.

Measure the horizontal and vertical viewing areas of your TV (my 46" is 40"x22.5"). Divide 1920 by the horizontal, and 1080 by the vertical (assuming your TV is full 1920x1080 resolution). That gives your pixels per inch. While watching a Netflix feed, you can use the BLUE button to zoom down until it stops. That is 1:1 pixel ratio. You can then measure the picture, multiply by the ppi, and get the true resolution. In my case, NF seems to be defaulting to 480x360. Normally, it's 640x480 for SD, and 1280x720 for HD. It can be tricky to measure if it's letterboxed (2.35:1 movie, or letterboxed SD.)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Also having trouble with known HD content from Netflix for the past few days. Found this thread in a Google search. Hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Same problem in the Hudson Valley of New York.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetersen View Post

Also having trouble with known HD content from Netflix for the past few days. Found this thread in a Google search. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Netflix now has Quality setting controls in the My Account section on the website. A poster in the Video D/L Services forum said that he enabled the highest setting there and now video on his Sony has cleared.
/avs-vb/showt...5#post20565245
So, it's worth a try.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM

Tried both my TV and Blu-Ray player and the problem seems to be fixed on both, for now at least....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Netflix now has Quality setting controls in the My Account section on the website. A poster in the Video D/L Services forum said that he enabled the highest setting there and now video on his Sony has cleared.
/avs-vb/showt...5#post20565245
So, it's worth a try.
Well that was simple enough - or they fixed it since my last use.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM

That's simple enough, thanks for the info.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM

It worked, thanks for this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement