Forum Jump:
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all, not sure why this is bugging me but it is, I recently emailed GH3 about their wireless guitars and they responded that they dont use bluetooth, so this must mean they require a dongle of some sort. This lead me to wonder about Rock band as that has 3 and potentially more instruments, are all of our usb ports gonna be hogged by little annoying wireless dongles, will there be interference from other RF sources why didnt Sony give them access to internal bluetooth module???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2007, 02:39 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I know, the only wireless peripherals are the guitars. Mic and drums are wired.

I assumed the wireless guitars would be bluetooth. It would suck if it isn't.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah at least for GH3 the response was our peripheral does not use bluetooth...booooo

Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Liked: 21
I think theres gonna be a hub that plugs in 1 usb port then the devices plug into the hub
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just listened to a Rock Band interview. They said the guitars would be ONLY wireless for the PS3, while the mic and drums would be wired. Didn't mention how the wireless guitars work, may have a dongle I suppose.

Apparently the 360 wireless stuff costs more to implement (licensing?) so the 360 package will have either all wired (using a USB hub since the 360 doesn't have enough USB ports for all 4 instruments) with more expensive wireless guitars available as well.

You also need to have a controller working since the mic player has to use it to navigate menus. Don't know why they wouldn't stick some basic control buttons on the mic, but oh well.

I think I'm gonna be sticking to my GHII controller for the 360 (may even work for the PS3, who knows?).
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post

I just listened to a Rock Band interview. They said the guitars would be ONLY wireless for the PS3, while the mic and drums would be wired. Didn't mention how the wireless guitars work, may have a dongle I suppose.

Apparently the 360 wireless stuff costs more to implement (licensing?) so the 360 package will have either all wired (using a USB hub since the 360 doesn't have enough USB ports for all 4 instruments) with more expensive wireless guitars available as well.

You also need to have a controller working since the mic player has to use it to navigate menus. Don't know why they wouldn't stick some basic control buttons on the mic, but oh well.

I think I'm gonna be sticking to my GHII controller for the 360 (may even work for the PS3, who knows?).

A hub would make sense. That would be less annoying having to unplug my mouse, keyboard, and controller recharge cable. If it was on a separate HUB, I wouldn't mind as much if they had dongles.

Since everything is proprietary on the 360, I believe that's why the wireless costs more. The PS3 is pretty open-sourced bluetooth, right? Should be rather easy to have the guitars bluetooth instead of RF.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why doesnt anyone make BT controllers for the PS3?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 AM

If I were in charge of the PS3, my #1 overriding drop-everything-else-until-its-done priority would have been getting GH 1&2 to work on the PS3. Well, they dropped the ball on that one.

My next priority would be ensuring that the PS3 gets the easiest and best implementation of GH3 and Rock Band. Call up the developers and tell them they get whatever the need. Period. No questions asked.

If these reports are true, I just don't understand what Sony is doing.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy View Post

If I were in charge of the PS3, my #1 overriding drop-everything-else-until-its-done priority would have been getting GH 1&2 to work on the PS3. Well, they dropped the ball on that one.

My next priority would be ensuring that the PS3 gets the easiest and best implementation of GH3 and Rock Band. Call up the developers and tell them they get whatever the need. Period. No questions asked.

If these reports are true, I just don't understand what Sony is doing.

I can understand your frustration with GH 1&2 (and I thought GH 1 worked with the PS3 now?), but I don't see how Rock Band's possible RF dongle/lack-of-bluetooth issue has anything to do with the Sony. Please explain.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

(and I thought GH 1 worked with the PS3 now?),

No whammy bar support.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:08 AM

http://joystiq.com/2007/09/24/ro...fccd/#comments

looks like the ps3 rockband guitar controller will have a dongle and the guitar will need it's own batteries.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That the guitars are not rechargeable via USB is really gonna suck. Then again, rechargeable batteries aren't too much of a pain, I suppose.

Will the PS3 Guitar Hero 3 guitars be Bluetooth and rechargeable?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

http://joystiq.com/2007/09/24/ro...fccd/#comments

looks like the ps3 rockband guitar controller will have a dongle and the guitar will need it's own batteries.

Well this is disappointing, if true.

I checked the link to the FCC filing and cannot find the picture that shows the dongle that is featured on joystiq or endgadget. It shows a picture of it in the manual, but the manual doesn't specify which system it belongs to (though, the 2nd page does say PS3 controller on the top, it doesn't look like the 2 documents necessarily belong with one another? source). I'm sure it probably will come a dongle, which is just irritating. Especially when the Xbox360 version of RB comes with a HUB and the PS3 version so far will not (source).

Not sure if I like the AA battery idea.

If this is what the final version of what the controller is going to look like, I'll skip out on the package and buy the mic and drums separately and buy GH3 guitars (assuming they too don't suffer the same fate).
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

That the guitars are not rechargeable via USB is really gonna suck. Then again, rechargeable batteries aren't too much of a pain, I suppose.

Will the PS3 Guitar Hero 3 guitars be Bluetooth and rechargeable?

Well, from what I gathered from the OET List, this controller is not bluetooth. It looks like standard RF hence the need for the dongle. And yes, I know the article says its bluetooth,however, the only thing the OET list says is that it operates at 2.4ghz. Well both RF and BT operate at 2.4 with BT having the adaptive freq hopping. So i'm thinking RF since the dongle is required.

Link to the OET:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...'VFR822151
Old 09-25-2007, 10:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

Well this is disappointing, if true.

I checked the link to the FCC filing and cannot find the picture that shows the dongle that is featured on joystiq or endgadget. It shows a picture of it in the manual, but the manual doesn't specify which system it belongs to (though, the 2nd page does say PS3 controller on the top, it doesn't look like the 2 documents necessarily belong with one another? source). I'm sure it probably will come a dongle, which is just irritating. Especially when the Xbox360 version of RB comes with a HUB and the PS3 version so far will not (source).

Not sure if I like the AA battery idea.

If this is what the final version of what the controller is going to look like, I'll skip out on the package and buy the mic and drums separately and buy GH3 guitars (assuming they too don't suffer the same fate).

its the ps3 version. All documents on the exhibit list are referencing the PS3 contoller. I have two wireless controllers for GH1/2 and they work fine so this isn't a show stopper for me.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

to the guy about GH1 on the PS3, it works great I have beaten everything on Hard whammy works fine, with pelican adapter set to GH1 mode. 2 however sucks arse still, no hammer ons or pull offs and the keys dont light up when you press them.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

its the ps3 version. All documents on the exhibit list are referencing the PS3 contoller. I have two wireless controllers for GH1/2 and they work fine so this isn't a show stopper for me.

Thanks for doing all the research.

Unfortunately, it will most likely be a show stopper for me until I hear if a) GH3 will have blue tooth guitars, or b) the Rock Band guitars or bundle will come with a USB HUB like the Xbox360 version.

I have a USB mouse, keyboard, and controller cable hooked up at the moment, and am incredibly lazy. It's going to be annoying to have to unplug everything and then have to replug everything back in when an eventual PS3 FPS that supports mouse/keyboard is released.

For a game that is asking for $200+ to be able to have the complete experience of Rock Band, not having Bluetooth or a USB hub seems a bit ridiculous. Not to mention, I still have issues with having to use AA batteries rather than an included, rechargeable battery pack.

This game has now dropped several notches on my list of games to buy.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This makes perfect sense to me, how many times have they said they are going to pull out all the stops in order to make the rock band bundle affordable for as many people as possible?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM

According to Kotaku, GH3 for the PS3 will not be bluetooth after all:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/nut-shot/wi...res-307585.php
Old 10-05-2007, 02:44 PM

since i have my ps3 in the next room, because i cant stand the fan noise it puts out, am I not going to be able to play this game because an IR signal is not gonna go through my wall?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 PM

If it's RF, you should be okay, I believe. If it's IR, then you may want to consider moving the PS3 closer to the wall and cut holes in it? Wouldn't have to be big holes, as they are shaped like guitar pics (picks? piks? whatever.).
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

since i have my ps3 in the next room, because i cant stand the fan noise it puts out, am I not going to be able to play this game because an IR signal is not gonna go through my wall?

It's RF nobody uses IR anymore it's way to wonky and requires line of sight whicy can change in GH and RB. They didn't use Bluetooth because while Bluetooth has great universal use it doesn't guarantee packet delivery times. WHich is detrimental in rhythm games.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

They didn't use Bluetooth because while Bluetooth has great universal use it doesn't guarantee packet delivery times. WHich is detrimental in rhythm games.

That's what I figured it would be. Thought crossed my mind a while back, makes sense, at least it's still wireless.

PSN ID: BlacJack
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

I for one am glad they're using the dongle, solely because my PS3 is afflicted with the controllers dropping out every so often (i.e. the character on the screen stops moving for a split second due to bluetooth wonkiness).

I was really worried about how/if PS3 Guitar Hero 3 was going to address this, since it seems to be a widespread problem with early consoles.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 95
The PS3 needs a USB port on the BACK already so you do not have dongles hanging out of the system.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Shacknews has an in-depth GH3 preview
Quote:

Bottom line is, if you own a 360, you'll want to get that version of Guitar Hero III. And since Harmonix's Rock Band only includes one wired guitar in its 360 bundle, you'll already have a wireless one ready for your band's bass player if you buy that game's bundle as well. Choosing between the PS3 and Wii version comes down to whether you want the friends-based online functionality of the Wii version or can live with the PS3 version's bare bones online features, as long as you can grab new songs as downloadable content. But even this PS3 feature has a caveat: Neversoft studio director Scott Pease told me he wasn't sure the company would be able to deliver songs on the PlayStation Network in as timely a manner as on Xbox Live Marketplace.

Its going to be interesting to see how online develops for games on all platforms.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM

I figured with Harmonix gone GH3 would be gimped in some way. It will be interested to see how RB and GH3 fair against each other. I'm getting both, but am definitely more excited about RB.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Confirmed by Kotaku (which was confirmed by 1Up): PS3 wireless guitars are not bluetooth. At all. Possibly in the future?

I'll wait until I hear of an included USB hub or of news of a BT version before I pick this game up.

Kotaku - http://kotaku.com/gaming/dongle-bung...ady-309540.php
1UP - http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163593

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post

Your wireless rocking out experience will vary depending on what machine you're playing on.

With Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock on Xbox 360 and Wii, you simply turn on the machine, sync the guitar and start to rock. On PlayStation 3, however, there's the bizarre addition of a USB wireless dongle, despite the hardware featuring wireless Bluetooth technology in the box -- it's how the Sixaxis connects without a cord. When no one would comment on the additional wireless accessory during a Guitar Hero press event a few weeks back, 1UP contacted Red Octane for an explanation on why the PS3 version needed the additional step.

"For the PS3 guitar, we're using our own 2.4ghz wireless solution. Our products require considerable time for certification and testing to perfect both our software & hardware, so this was the most effective way for us to bring a high quality wireless solution for PS3 this holiday," said Red Octane VP of Hardware Lee Guinchard. "The guitar does have many features that you will see on the Sixaxis controller such as the Home button, D-pad for menu navigation, etc., and it follows official PS3 protocols and is an officially licensed product from Sony."

Right, but why? The wireless capabilities of PS3 and Wii are both Bluetooth-based. The Wii version doesn't require a separate dongle -- it simply hooks into the Wiimote and hijacks the existing signal -- so why are developers swapping Sony's own wireless solutions for their own? Red Octane spokesperson Bryan Lam told 1UP it's because Sony's tools only work for the Sixaxis at the moment. In order for Guitar Hero 3 to hit day-and-date with the other versions, Red Octane was forced to develop their own wireless solution. Nintendo, on the other hand, had everything ready to roll, allowing Red Octane's guitar to simply ride on the existing Bluetooth technology found in the Wii.

Naturally, Guitar Hero shouldn't be the only one affected by this roadblock; Electronic Arts and Harmonix are planning to deliver wireless guitars with Rock Band in November, as well. A Harmonix spokesperson confirmed our suspicions with a similar response. "Our first and ideal choice is to utilize Sony's tools for 3rd party use of their PS3's Bluetooth functionality, however our development schedule timing for Rock Band did not coincide for this to be an option for the first generation of Rock Band guitars. Although we have not made any final decision yet on this matter -- we are actively considering moving to the PS3's internal Bluetooth solution in the future when feasible," the studio told us.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Not being bluetooth is a good thing. How many times has the SIXAXIS "wigged out" on you when playing a game? An occasional blip like this is okay for Motorstorm or Resistance, but when playing a game where timing is critical, it would be highly detrimental to your scores and temper. Imagine you're about to get a perfect score on Metallica One and all of a sudden the bluetooth drops the signal, oops, too bad for you. RF is a more solid and proved technology for this. Ideally, Sony needs to fix whatever is causing the BT drop issue, but in the meantime I'm not going to let it be a deal breaker.

Sammy 55B8500
Yamaha RX3900
PS3 - Slim
Klipsch L/C/R
Speaker Company TSS-B Dipoles
Outlaw LFM-1 and HTD 12" L3 Subs
Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement