1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhoff80
Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Best (FREE) Media Server for Xbox One??

Now that the October update has come, and XB1 has DLNA support, I'm looking for a new media server. PS3 Media Server doesn't seem to work with XB1 yet, and I've been googling the last few days trying to find a replacement, but all I get for results are articles on the fact XB1 now has DLNA.

Any help would be appreciated.... bonus points if the server works smoothly with Fast Forward. PMS never seemed to be able to pull that off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Try Plex.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Try Plex.
Plex is not free, is it?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 146
PLEX Server (For your PC) is free. Install on your PC/Server. Xbox One will browse to all your libraries, (set up by you on PLEX Server) via DLNA. It's klunky, if your libraries are large (navigation to each folder, one by one) but it works, and I applaud the work by PLEX, and the efforts of the Xbox Team to bring it to us.

PLEX app (for Xbox One) will not be free. The one that is available now, is, but only accessible to PLEXPass members...(PLEX Subscription).

https://plex.tv/

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I have the old free version of TVersity running on my laptop, as well as a paid-for-life install of PlayOn.

What does one do to access these servers from the One?...

LIVE: mikepaul

Evil intentionally does harm to innocent beings. Good will occasionally do harm to innocent beings, but it's not intentional. Try not to be Evil. Strive to be Good...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I use MediaBrowser myself, but since the Xbox actually has a Plex app, Plex is at a huge advantage right now.

DLNA playback works great with a variety of different servers, but having an app with a custom interface designed around that specific purpose does look to work far better.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post
So I have the old free version of TVersity running on my laptop, as well as a paid-for-life install of PlayOn.

What does one do to access these servers from the One?...
Update to the latest October update, and install "Media Player Preview" from the App Store. Any DLNA servers should automatically be detected in that app.
mikepaul likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
PLEX Server (For your PC) is free. Install on your PC/Server. Xbox One will browse to all your libraries, (set up by you on PLEX Server) via DLNA. It's klunky, if your libraries are large (navigation to each folder, one by one) but it works, and I applaud the work by PLEX, and the efforts of the Xbox Team to bring it to us.

PLEX app (for Xbox One) will not be free. The one that is available now, is, but only accessible to PLEXPass members...(PLEX Subscription).

https://plex.tv/
Downloaded it while waiting for your response... was bummed out when Plex Pass was required for the actual xb1 app, then you reminded me here that I could use the Media Player to access the files (thanks for that!).

Very nice interface, even thru the Media Player. Playback is super fast and smooth, fast forwarding works just about perfectly too (would be nice to have thumbnail previews of key frames). Definitely digging it. Wish there was a way to display a/v info, though, like in the BD player (such as resolution, bit rate, most importantly Audio codec to make sure the correct audio track is being played).
Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Update to the latest October update, and install "Media Player Preview" from the App Store. Any DLNA servers should automatically be detected in that app.
VERY grateful for this. PlayOn has become a semi-reliable way to catch up on some shows now that I don't have cable TV anymore. The implementation on the One is cleaner than on the 360, so now the front room is where I'll be watching The Flash.

That is, until the listings on PlayOn mysteriously disappear like they do on the 360.

As far as free media servers go, I still use TVersity 1.9.7, IMHO the last reliable one before they changed their pricing model so free no longer existed. If one pokes around on the Internet, one might still find it, I hope...

LIVE: mikepaul

Evil intentionally does harm to innocent beings. Good will occasionally do harm to innocent beings, but it's not intentional. Try not to be Evil. Strive to be Good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement