Forum Jump:
post #1 of 18 Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the magnavox and phillips dvd/dvr recorder and was able to record to it from xfinity live tv and also from recordered dvr recordings to my dvd recorder,
Now that I have Uverse, I cannot.
Is something not connected correctly, I am getting static on the playback or does uverse not allow it even from live local channels

Maybe I will go back to xfinity as this is not the only issue I have with uverse. I only switch to get whole house and wireless functions that I did not get from xfinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 200

Based on a few reports herein, Uverse encrypts their signal so the Uverse STB is needed to decrypt it. This makes Uverse virtually identical to a satellite feed as far as user experience is concerned. Your DVDR would only act as a slave to the Uverse box, able to record a single channel that the box is tuned to and copy shows from the Uverse DVR.

As with satellite, the your DVDR's full capabilities could be gained only by adding an indoor or outdoor antenna.

post #3 of 18 Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

so you can or cannot record to the phillips/mag dvd hdd recorder from uverse?
Xfinity let me record live tv and also from recordings I did to their dvr to my dvr, NOT sure if the new X1 platform works the same way

It is a bummer if $700 worth of DVD recorder is out the windor

post #4 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM

Here's a series of posts, starting with Mike Hardy laying out some recording scenarios, which is followed by suggestions, including the addition of a Component-to-Composite/S-Video converter/filter for copying protected shows from the Uverse DVR.

Not sure about your "static" but that sounds more like something in your equipment, like a bad cable or something along those lines?

Maybe some info on how you're connected would help others figure something out?

post #5 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 238

The digital QAM tuner on the recorders allowed the unscrambled local HD tv stations transmitted by Comcast/Xfinity, to be recieved. Unfortunately, the Uverse service does not transmit the local stations over QAM. Your tuner therefore, can no longer  get those stations the way it did before.

As wajo mentioned, the tuner will function if you connect an antenna to it-the number of stations you pick up will be determined by your location.

If you have the Uverse box connected properly-composite cables...those are yellow video with red/white audio cables, from the uverse box to the Mag & Phil, the signal should be viewable over the recorder's Line input (L1 or L2). How are the wires from the uverse box setup?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #6 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

I can view, that is not a problem it is just recording, all I get is a snow picture in answer to wajo, no picture or sound at all, so it is not that the cables are loose, it is just that It cannot de encript the signal
Some one on the urverse forum thought that If I disconnected the hdmi and used composite cables instead, it should work, Have not tried yet as have to get some more cables and pull all the boxes out of the cabinet

Trying to decide if these issues are worth keeping uverse or go back to xfinity, BUT does anyone know if the new x1 platform will cause the same problem

I went to uverse before I heard about X1, so that I could watch and record from any room. Does anyone have it? I am kinda confused with it. It sounds like you can set arecording from any of the boxes, but you can only rewind and pause live tv from the main dvr box but view and pause a recording from any box.. As with Uverse you can pickup, pause rewind etc live tv from any box and there is a wireless box

So I guess I gotta decide what is more important to me.

Does anyone have uverse or x1 that they have tried to record to the phillips/mag dvr? I know the reg xfinity, I could play a recorded dvr program from xfinity dvr and it would record to my philllips dvr once I finally got it figured out how to connect everything

Thanks all!

I have a combo of hdmi an composite set up right now as follows:
currently I have from uverse dvr: HDMI to HDMI tv1; HDMI out my dvd recorder to hdmi tv 2
Uverse dvr composite to composite in my dvd recorder
Uverse dvr coax to coax my dvd recorder
My dvd recorder composte out to tv composite in

what runs the uverse dvr is a phone connection, with xfinity it was a coax to the cable box and then to my dvd recorder

Will try to to the composite thing replacing the hdmi tomorrow and let you know.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 AM

Did you try pulling the HDMI cable from the back of the Uverse box while trying to record to the Philips/Mag DVR?

That will let you know if the Uverse box does not allow the Compoiste signal out at the same time as HDMI. Many boxes do that. In fact, some new boxes don't allow Composite out if the HDMI is set to Auto or 1080p, but will allow it if HDMi is set to 480p, 720p or 1080i.

You can ask your Infinity questions here (link to last post in thread).

post #8 of 18 Old 02-20-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have uverse. I don't know if it varies by locality, but a couple months after I started service (May 2009), it stopped allowing me to record even some broadcast channels. I actually could record, but the shows were marked as copy no more, so I had the shows on my HDD (Panny DMR-EH75V) but I could not burn them to DVD. Other stations I could copy freely, others would not allow any copying. Shortly after this I ordered Max's Video FIlter and have not had the problem since it is always hooked up. I can confirm that s-video out works even if HDMI is connected. My STB is a Motorola, but I know they use Cisco boxes as well. I don't know why you're seeing snow and not getting any sound. Even on copy protected channels, you should be able to at least see something even if your DVD-R won't allow recording. If that's not the standard behavior for your DVD-R when fed a CGMS signal, then either your STB is bad or your cabling is incorrect.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

this is the connections that I have available
can anyone tell me how to hook it all up for uverse, Xfinity was not problem. OR is UVERSE never going to allow recording to the phillips dvr/dvd recorder?

below is what I have, could anyone come up with that combinations I need to try and make this work, or is it impossible, also I heard there is some kind of "converter" box that you connect to the cable box and it unscrables the feed??

Uverse: ther are 2 av out ports, a vieocoax out to tv, s video and the network cable that runs it all

my dvd recorder which is a phillips 3576: av in and out, antenna in and out, HDMI out, S video in and out

Samsung TV 550: 4 hdmi ports, AV 1 and 2 in and out; antienna in, component and LAN

and what my sources is should be to record and view from any on the pieces of equipment

below is a comment from another forum:
"My understanding, have not played around with, is that the HDMI plugged into Uverse receiver (set top box, STB) disables the other outputs on receiver. If trying to record componet, composite (A/V) or coax out of receiver to your DVD player need to unplug HDMI cable from receiver.
Could also try recording the receiver S video output as input, should provide better picture quality than coax or A/V cable."

i did unplug the hdmi, but then Could not view anything

someone somewhere, said that there is somekind of "converter box" that can unscrable the signal? I cannot find that post now to tell you what it was or check into it, does anyone know what I am talking about?? and if it will work??
post #10 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniepoah View Post

this is the connections that I have available
can anyone tell me how to hook it all up for uverse, Xfinity was not problem. OR is UVERSE never going to allow recording to the phillips dvr/dvd recorder?

below is what I have, could anyone come up with that combinations I need to try and make this work, or is it impossible, also I heard there is some kind of "converter" box that you connect to the cable box and it unscrables the feed??

Uverse: ther are 2 av out ports, a vieocoax out to tv, s video and the network cable that runs it all

my dvd recorder which is a phillips 3576: av in and out, antenna in and out, HDMI out, S video in and out

Samsung TV 550: 4 hdmi ports, AV 1 and 2 in and out; antienna in, component and LAN

and what my sources is should be to record and view from any on the pieces of equipment

below is a comment from another forum:
"My understanding, have not played around with, is that the HDMI plugged into Uverse receiver (set top box, STB) disables the other outputs on receiver. If trying to record componet, composite (A/V) or coax out of receiver to your DVD player need to unplug HDMI cable from receiver.
Could also try recording the receiver S video output as input, should provide better picture quality than coax or A/V cable."

i did unplug the hdmi, but then Could not view anything

someone somewhere, said that there is somekind of "converter box" that can unscrable the signal? I cannot find that post now to tell you what it was or check into it, does anyone know what I am talking about?? and if it will work??

You should contact Uverse technical support. Your inquiry should be as simple as this:

Tell them that you have their receiver connected to your TV through HDMI and that in order to be able to record programs on your Philips 3576 that records through its S-Video or composite video plus white/red audio you need to have a receiver where those outputs are active at the same time as the HDMI output.

That's all there is to it.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #11 of 18 Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Liked: 0
i86time,

Just this past Friday I switched from cable (coax going directly into my Panny DMR-E85H) to ATT Uverse.

I have the same problem you describe below, where you can record to the Panny's HDD drive but cannot transfer the recording to DVD.

Are you saying that if I use S-video instead of RCA plugs that it will work? How did you obtain "Max's Video Filter"? I am brand new to this forum and thought I saw a link to the video filter but it took me to a Road Runner site.

I am lost without being able to edit my favorite stuff and dub it to DVD!! Do other carriers have copyright protection? Dish? DirecTV?

Thanks for any and all help!!

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post
I have uverse. I don't know if it varies by locality, but a couple months after I started service (May 2009), it stopped allowing me to record even some broadcast channels. I actually could record, but the shows were marked as copy no more, so I had the shows on my HDD (Panny DMR-EH75V) but I could not burn them to DVD. Other stations I could copy freely, others would not allow any copying. Shortly after this I ordered Max's Video FIlter and have not had the problem since it is always hooked up. I can confirm that s-video out works even if HDMI is connected. My STB is a Motorola, but I know they use Cisco boxes as well. I don't know why you're seeing snow and not getting any sound. Even on copy protected channels, you should be able to at least see something even if your DVD-R won't allow recording. If that's not the standard behavior for your DVD-R when fed a CGMS signal, then either your STB is bad or your cabling is incorrect.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-20-2014, 01:07 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 302
If Uverse is putting a CP on it's signal you really need to remove it before it gets on your E85H's HDD, once on the HDD you can't easily remove it, at least without using another DVDR and doing a realtime copy off your EH85's HDD. Video filters can be as cheap as ~$50 for a component to S-video converter that also removes CP to ~$90 for a decent Grex from Amazon to the top of the line Video Filter you are probably talking about, the latter two devices have S-video/composite input/outputs, the first device requires a component output and converts it to a clean CP free S-video/composite signal.
A video filter is inserted in the video output between the device you want to record from to the device you want to record to, if the CP'd signal is already on your E85's HDD you'd have to PLAY the title and with the use of another DVDR record the E85's output(of course with a video filter between the two). From now on if your signal is CP'd it would be best to put the filter between your Uverse box and E85H's line input, realtime copies lose any chapter marks you may have created on your E85's HDD and also loses some picture quality.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
If Uverse is putting a CP on it's signal you really need to remove it before it gets on your E85H's HDD, once on the HDD you can't easily remove it, at least without using another DVDR and doing a realtime copy off your EH85's HDD. Video filters can be as cheap as ~$50 for a component to S-video converter that also removes CP to ~$90 for a decent Grex from Amazon to the top of the line Video Filter you are probably talking about, the latter two devices have S-video/composite input/outputs, the first device requires a component output and converts it to a clean CP free S-video/composite signal.
A video filter is inserted in the video output between the device you want to record from to the device you want to record to, if the CP'd signal is already on your E85's HDD you'd have to PLAY the title and with the use of another DVDR record the E85's output(of course with a video filter between the two). From now on if your signal is CP'd it would be best to put the filter between your Uverse box and E85H's line input, realtime copies lose any chapter marks you may have created on your E85's HDD and also loses some picture quality.
jjeff, thank you very much for the response! ok, so I need to put a video filter between my Uverse box and my E85H. I see the Grex on Amazon but I can't locate where to order the top of the line Video Filter. Also, I think I saw a thread where someone said the Grex was causing "hot video" problems. Are there any known problems using the Video Filter? Where can I get one? tia
post #14 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Probably the best way to get information about the Video Filter brand filter is to send a Private Message to online-shashki member Logic Design. I have a Grex from Amazon and am quite happy with it, I think they must have fixed whatever was wrong with earlier models, I'm quite fussy about video quality and I'm happy with mine. The Video Filter brand has a few options the Grex does not, like the ability to manipulate the WS(wide screen) bit and also set various CP modes, the Grex just eliminates the CP signal.
Being a new member with only a couple posts you may not be able to send a PM, if this is the case myself or another member could PM Logic Design and have him PM you, I believe you should be able to receive PMs. I'll be offline for most of the rest of the day.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 AM

Thanks jjeff! I really appreciate the offer to PM on my behalf; however, if you are fussy about video quality and are happy with your Grex, I think I will just go ahead and try one of those. I was apprehensive because of what I had read; granted, those posts were from years back and hopefully the newer models are top notch. What a mess to have to deal with CP anyway on TV channels!! I can understand CP on store bought tapes and dvds. Do you know if Uverse is unique in this way or do all carriers have CP now?
post #16 of 18 Old 11-08-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasdbc View Post
Thanks jjeff! I really appreciate the offer to PM on my behalf; however, if you are fussy about video quality and are happy with your Grex, I think I will just go ahead and try one of those. I was apprehensive because of what I had read; granted, those posts were from years back and hopefully the newer models are top notch. What a mess to have to deal with CP anyway on TV channels!! I can understand CP on store bought tapes and dvds. Do you know if Uverse is unique in this way or do all carriers have CP now?
Guys, finally got my Grex from Amazon. Unlike all the current pictures of it on the internet, which show it as cream in color, indicator light to the right of the logo, and IN jack below the logo; mine is gray in color, indicator light to the left of the logo, and OUT jack below the logo.

Did I not receive the most current version?

I have not hooked it up yet.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-10-2014, 07:13 AM

^^^mine looks just like yours and works great, I never even noticed it looks different than the Amazon photo, but I wouldn't worry about it.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-10-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks jjeff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page