Forum Jump:
post #1 of 19 Old 11-04-2015, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Comcast Code for Denon AVR-S510BT - Having Trouble getting it to work!

My old Sony receiver broke and I bought the Denon AVR-S510BT as mentioned above. Bought it new, and is a relatively recent model, but certainly not their newest. So when trying to reprogram my Xfinity/Comcast remote (the one with the Red-Select button that uses 5-digit codes) to have it control the Denon receiver, it is not working. Comcast lists over 100(!) possible different codes to use with Denon AV's, but NONE of them work correctly, in fact most of them are not even "accepted" as correct by the Comcast remote. Most of those 100+ codes show one long red blink instead of the 2 quick blinks that indicate a code is "correct" according to the Xfinity guide.

The closest I get it to work is using the second code listed -- 3-1-3-6-0. It is accepted BUT it only works for one single command and then "locks"...it no longer will work until I press a button on the actual Denon remote. So I can raise or lower the volume ONLY one single click or can mute (but then not unmute) with the Comcast remote until I press a button on the Denon remote again. It's very odd--over the years I've programmed dozens of devices for many friends with different brand/models and I've never had a problem until this. Does anyone have any other code suggestions or other ideas about how this may be fixable? I am pretty sure I tried every other code listed for Denon AV's at the Xfinity remote help webpage (excluding the ones that contained a letter--I am assuming that's a slightly different remote?). Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

A quick correction. In looking for further information about the problem above, I found out I was wrong in stating this was not a NEW model, apparently it is one of Denon's newer models. Don't know if that is relevant, but thought I should mention it.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Go to the site below and search by protocol for Denon Combo and remote Comcast 1067BX3. You'll see that 31360 is indeed a close match, another is 31104, which you should also try. Then click EFC in the search results and try a few of them by simply tapping then releasing the Setup button (don't hold it) followed by the 5 digit code. The command is sent as long as the final digit is held. If that works for some commands, I can post the codes for every command from the original Denon remote and tell you how to program them permanently.

http://hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup/

post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion and link. Some of the codes worked--but unfortunately, it was again only for a one single command or click (i.e. holding down last key didn't continue sending the command), so not sure this will work.

But I did discover something else. If I press a key using Xfinity remote directed to Aux (receiver), for example VOL+, it will send the command one time (like I mentioned before), but if I then press a command on the remote that controls another function--cable box or TV--and then press the volume button again, it will take the command. So if I rotate between VOL+ and any button not assigned to the receiver, it "works" (sort of). I have 2 different Xfinity remotes and it works this way with both of them, so I doubt it's a broken Xfinity remote.

But I don't know if the problem is related to the Xfinity remote or the Denon receiver. It's as if the remote will not send more than one signal to the Denon receiver consecutively without changing devices. But that sounds quite odd as I never had any problems with these remotes and my Sony receiver or controlling the TV. If I can't figure this out with the Xfinity remote, I suppose I could always try a Universal remote, but not sure if that would solve the problem or if the problem is related to the Denon receiver. It seems to be an odd problem I know, but any other ideas?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM

What happens with the AUX light when you hold vol+? Is it solid, flashing, or does it just quickly go away?

If you're thinking about a new remote, the Nevo C2 on ebay is amazing for $16 and will correctly control every possible function of your Denon and all your other devices. I have it set up to control a few hundred commands for my Denon.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2015, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

The AUX light remains solid as long as I hold the VOL+ (or VOL-).

I do appreciate the info on a reasonably priced remote as well. If I can't figure this out, it sounds like a good choice as an alternative. I called Denon and they couldn't help--told me they had never heard of this particular problem. Suggested I download the latest firmware upgrade which I did, but it didn't help this problem.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-08-2015, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
if your still interested i can help. are you using the newer backlit remote for X1 or the older silver remote?
post #8 of 19 Old 11-09-2015, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm still searching...
post #9 of 19 Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbk View Post
if your still interested i can help. are you using the newer backlit remote for X1 or the older silver remote?
Yes, I'm still looking for help, so I'd appreciate any you could offer... The Xfinity remote is an older model--no backlight. I believe it's a 'Comcast 1067BX3' remote. If you go to https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/ it's the first one shown. It's silver with a Red 'OK/Select' button. What would you suggest?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM

The posted codes should have worked. But if you want to try it, you can always buy a JP1 cable ($9 on ebay) and load one of our upgrades for that receiver. But since I don't know why yours doesn't work, there's no guarantee ours will work either. I can tell you that it works on other JP1 remotes whose outputs are identical to your model.

Would it be possible to exchange your remote at your local cable office for another of the same model? The newer model is horrible, with very little programming capabilities, so I definitely would not get one of those.

Here's one vendor of such a cable: http://ebay.com/itm/261101529602

Here's our upgrade (it's for a 500, but the codes are the same per Denon documents):
http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12937

The upside to getting a cable is you can do much more sophisticated programming via a PC and save/load as many different devices, protocols and configs as you like.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-13-2015, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions--was really hoping there would be an easy fix and I would be able to use the Comcast remote to control the receiver as I have always done in the past. As both of the remotes I have are fairly "new-ish" and work identically with the new receiver, I don't think it's a problem that would be remedied by getting another Comcast remote. So I will either buy a universal remote or perhaps just continue to use the separate Denon remote for the time-being...at least until I tire of switching remotes every time I want to change the volume. But thanks again for the ideas.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM

Hi did you ever solve or find a good universal remote

I just set up the same system with my Comcast remote...same issue..one shot command and then you have to toggle back to another device, hit an unusable output and then come back to Aux...really makes increasing/decreasing volume with Comcast remote more than difficult...have to use two remotes right now
post #13 of 19 Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 AM

Denon AVR-S500BT with Xfinity XR11 voice remote

Hi,
I was wondering if an answer to this issue has been found. I have the new Comcast XR11 voice remote and the Denon AVR-S500BT receiver. My problem is that the Comcast voice remote only controls Denon volume one click at a time. The power on/off function works fine.

Thank You!
post #14 of 19 Old 02-24-2016, 07:40 AM

Very common issue. Nobody has found a solution. Sorry.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 4
so im guessing since this has no solution, noone has ever been able to use the comcast remote to select the option button on the bluetooth pairing screen ?
post #16 of 19 Old 06-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Incorrect. Repeating volume has nothing to do with other commands. Comcast should be able to send just about any Denon command. Please confirm you Denon model and Comcast remote model, along with the setup code you're using (presumably 31360), and I'll post the code for Option.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Incorrect. Repeating volume has nothing to do with other commands. Comcast should be able to send just about any Denon command. Please confirm you Denon model and Comcast remote model, along with the setup code you're using (presumably 31360), and I'll post the code for Option.
ill have to double check but i believe its the x1 voice command grey remote and the receiver is denon avr-s500bt i programmed it and i was able to change volume on the receiver up and down but i couldnt get an option to select bluetooth option on the screen it was an option button as your sopposed to hit options so you can pair it

Another thing i did was factory reset it trying to make it auto connect to a bluetooth pair, i did the + signs and power button and now i need to be able to hit enter to select english, so like i said cant do much without that remote, im gonna double check model of remote for you

Last edited by adamf4i7783; 06-15-2017 at 12:40 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-11-2017, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'm having same problem with spectrum remote 1060BC3 and Denon receiver avr-s510bt one command and that's it. whether it's power or vol you get one click and that's all.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Unfortunately still no solution. My UEI remote (same maker and codes as yours) using exactly the same codes works fine on my Denon E400. Still a mystery as to why some remotes don't work even with the same code as another remote that does. My educated guess is that something is wrong in the button map so that the comcast remote doesn't know that vol is supposed to repeat.

My quoted response above only applies to the Option command in question, as I had already concluded that there is no current solution for repeating commands.

I urge any JP1 user with a learning remote and this issue to post at hifi-remote.com so we can troubleshoot and hopefully solve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
denon avr-s510bt