Forum Jump:
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Remote Won't Change Channels

I have a 6 month old Samsung TV, model UN55F6300.
A few weeks ago I noticed the remote that is included with this unit would no longer change channels on the TV. Other functions work as they should. The Comcast remote has no issues and functions as planned, including changing channels.
I contacted Samsung support and they determined it was a defective remote and sent me a new one. New remote is the same as the old remote.
Any ideas what the issue might be? Is there a setting in the TV that might have been changed? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
What input is it on when you attempt to change channels?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
What input is it on when you attempt to change channels?
By input, do you mean source? If so, it's HDMI1 Comcast. I am trying to use the Channel button to change the channels one at a time, either up or down, but there is no response from the TV.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Channel buttons only work when the source is the Samsung's own internal tuner. Your cable remote is changing cable channels. Your Samsung remote cannot change channels on your cable box. You need to use your cable remote or some other universal remote for that, not your Samsung remote.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Channel buttons only work when the source is the Samsung's own internal tuner. Your cable remote is changing cable channels. Your Samsung remote cannot change channels on your cable box. You need to use your cable remote or some other universal remote for that, not your Samsung remote.
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that when we first bought the TV the Samsung remote controlled the channels.
It's also odd that Samsung support didn't consider this and quickly shipped me another remote.
Is there a setting within the television's menu that might address this function?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ290 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that when we first bought the TV the Samsung remote controlled the channels.
It's also odd that Samsung support didn't consider this and quickly shipped me another remote.
Is there a setting within the television's menu that might address this function?
The channel buttons don't change channels unless the source is the tuner. Samsung TVs have always worked this way. The only exception would be Anynet, in which case the channel buttons would work an HDMI connected device with HDMI control turned on. If your cable box is actually a Dish or DirecTV box, then this might actually work if you re-enable Anynet (HDMI CEC or HDMI Control) and enable HDMI control on the device. I don't know of any other cable boxes that work with HDMI CEC.

They sent a new remote because they simply didn't know enough to ask the right questions.

EDIT: I don't see anything definite, but there seems to be a vague implication that the X1 or X2 might work with CEC. So enable Anynet on your TV for HDMI1 and enable HDMI control on your cable box (I have no idea where that setting might be).

Last edited by mdavej; 06-18-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

mdavej, appreciate the help and information. I'll leave well enough alone. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to add a new wrinkle to this question. Just received a new PNF8500 and the smart remote changes the channel on the cable box via the tv but the standard remote doesn't. Actually, the standard remote started changing the channels and then stopped. If anyone can help with this mystery I'd very much appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ290 View Post
I have a 6 month old Samsung TV, model UN55F6300.
A few weeks ago I noticed the remote that is included with this unit would no longer change channels on the TV. Other functions work as they should. The Comcast remote has no issues and functions as planned, including changing channels.
I contacted Samsung support and they determined it was a defective remote and sent me a new one. New remote is the same as the old remote.
Any ideas what the issue might be? Is there a setting in the TV that might have been changed? Thank you.
exact same thing here. I have a comcast mini digital box, it doesnt even show channel numbers. Anyway samsung remote for a year has controlled everything, now channels wont change with up and down nor will inputting the numbers directly with the samsung remote. I went through everything on setup again, worked for like a day or so then boom stopped again. But no I HAVE NOT NEEDED A COMCAST REMOTE AT ALL for a year. I wouldnt even know where it is.

what gives? all perfect then boom stopped.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx View Post
exact same thing here. I have a comcast mini digital box, it doesnt even show channel numbers. Anyway samsung remote for a year has controlled everything, now channels wont change with up and down nor will inputting the numbers directly with the samsung remote. I went through everything on setup again, worked for like a day or so then boom stopped again. But no I HAVE NOT NEEDED A COMCAST REMOTE AT ALL for a year. I wouldnt even know where it is.

what gives? all perfect then boom stopped.
This is an old thread, but I had the same problem with my f8500. I just needed to adjust the position of the IR extender. It all works now.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Lol. I fixed mine but forgot what worked. Moved ir around too plugged unplugged. But the key 99% I think or afaik lingo was resetting the remote.

It was either remove batteries for a few min or hold down power button for a minute or so. :kissing_heart:if u do it write me back for all our futures are at stake!!!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:14 PM

Read below

To determine which of these conditions is causing your problem, follow these steps:
Open the battery compartment on the back of the remote and remove both batteries.
Press and hold any button on the remote for 20 seconds.
Release the button and reinsert the batteries and the battery cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement