Forum Jump:
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'm liking the idea of using a tablet as a remote control for a variety of reasons, so as the title suggests, are there any decent universal remote apps for a tablets with a built in IR blaster?
I've been reading a bit about the Roomie and a couple of others but they seem more geared to a complicated networking set-up and I want something more along the line of my Harmony One on a tablet.

Current Gear: Anthem AVM60, D-Sonic 3500/7, Oppo UDP-203, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Pre, Technics SL1210 w/ Denon DL103, Dune Duo 4K, LG Oled55e6, Paradigm Sig. S6 & C3 v.3's, Monitor ADP's, Velodyne SPLR1200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm looking for a similar solution.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up a Sony Xperia tablet on the weekend and it has an IR blaster and a remote control app on board. It's pretty clunky though, you can't control an "activity" like the Harmony does, yet. You can program macros for turning the system on/off and selecting input/ouputs etc., but that's about it.
I only have it working for my shaw gateway pvr and for an individual device it works well, very responsive.
I was going to program my Denon AVP pre-amp into it but when I selected "Denon receiver" as the logical device, it gave me 70 remote "types" to choose from, I toggled through them all and couldn't find a button layout to match, so I'm going to have to use the learning feature for that unit.

Anyways, earlier I sad "yet" because it's an open source feature that allows control over the IR funtions so hopefully someone will dig into this unit and come up with a more funtional app.

Current Gear: Anthem AVM60, D-Sonic 3500/7, Oppo UDP-203, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Pre, Technics SL1210 w/ Denon DL103, Dune Duo 4K, LG Oled55e6, Paradigm Sig. S6 & C3 v.3's, Monitor ADP's, Velodyne SPLR1200.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have just switched from using Harmony 1100 remotes to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" and 10.1" Tablets for all my remote use.

I use the App TouchSquid Pro on all of them and everything works perfectly!

The support is great as I requested a longer power on delay for input response on my DLP HDTV and it was added in the next update!!!!

More info is at:

touchsquid.org

Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

How extensive is the component list? Does it list them by model and have preloaded commands the way a harmony does?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It works similar to Harmony, but does NOT list model numbers for everything. It will list the Brand (like ONKYO), then you have EVERY command to choose from for all ONKYO products.

It takes more customizing to configure and add correct buttons, but is really easy to do.

After I first set it up for my Mitsubishi WD-92840, Onkyo TX-NR5008 and Sony BDP-S790 everything worked fine for basic funtions, but I had to add the HOME and RETURN buttons for the Sony, and a few other buttons for the activities like Play a Game and Watch Laptop.

Now I have all 3 Samsung Tablets setup perfectly, plus you can add separate profiles for multiple systems, as I have Living Room Upstairs, Living Room Downstairs, Master Bedroom and Office. I can take any tablet to any room and control whichever system I am currently using, which is the best feature.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well I used a combination of the the learn function and defaults to set up all my gear on the Xperia, and then created a bunch of macros to turn on/off all devices needed for watching Blu Ray, TV etc.. (It was a bit tedious, but easier than I thought.)
Then I simply doubled up the source components like the Shaw PVR and added the volume control of my sound system and a couple of audio parameters like DEQ & Dynamic Volume on/off from the edit/learn function and I renamed the device as an activity. i.e. "Watch TV control".
Long and short, it works fine and does what I want now, and the best part is the buttons are so big that unlike my Harmony I don't need my reading glasses to see which buttons are what! tongue.gif

The only negative I can see is the battery life isn't as long as a typical remote.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well I used a combination of the the learn function and defaults to set up all my gear on the Xperia, and then created a bunch of macros to turn on/off all devices needed for watching Blu Ray, TV etc.. (It was a bit tedious, but easier than I thought.)
Then I simply doubled up the source components like the Shaw PVR and added the volume control of my sound system and a couple of audio parameters like DEQ & Dynamic Volume on/off using the edit/learn function and I renamed the device as an activity. i.e. "Watch TV control".
Long and short, it works fine and does what I want now, and the best part is the buttons are so big that unlike my Harmony I don't need my reading glasses to see which buttons are what! tongue.gif
The only negative I can see is the battery life isn't anywhere near as as long as a typical remote, so I'll likely get a cradle/charger for it to put on my side table.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtkill View Post

I have just switched from using Harmony 1100 remotes to Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" and 10.1" Tablets for all my remote use.
I use the App TouchSquid Pro on all of them and everything works perfectly!
The support is great as I requested a longer power on delay for input response on my DLP HDTV and it was added in the next update!!!!
More info is at:
touchsquid.org

thanks for reminding me about this... got my wife the Tab 2 and I got some new A/V gear for Christmas - she doesn't know how to use the 4 different remotes.

The Peel app that the Tab 2 comes with is okay for switching channels but doesn't work well for more advanced usage.

My living room budget build: Samsung PN51E530 / Denon AVR1613 / DefTech PC1000 / DefTech PM60 / DefTech ProSub 60 / Dayton Sub1200
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting, i'm looking for the same thing but I still have "ir only" devices without support for bluetooth or wifi usb adapters.

How do you control these with a samsung galaxy tab 2? I don't see ir in the specs.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just downloaded the SMART IR REMOTE FOR GALAXY TAB.  Was confused at first setting up macros to turn on my TV and AMP at the same time, but the comment on setting up delays fixed it perfectly!  :)

A lot of work needed to set up all your remotes but MUCH cheaper than TOUCHSQUID.  Not sure how well it works on non-GALAXY TAB devices though.

Here's a link to the PLAY store app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefairy

Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 AM

Liked: 0
Wink Touchsquid universal remote app for Android tablet with IR blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatMobil View Post
I just downloaded the SMART IR REMOTE FOR GALAXY TAB. Was confused at first setting up macros to turn on my TV and AMP at the same time, but the comment on setting up delays fixed it perfectly!

A lot of work needed to set up all your remotes but MUCH cheaper than TOUCHSQUID. Not sure how well it works on non-GALAXY TAB devices though.
Touchsquid has two different versions, the HOME for the lite user, and the PRO for the sophisticated user. It has many more features.

FOREMOST, Touchsquid is an activity based remote control, which means one button turn on/off all devices connected with an activity. Lower priced universal remote apps are usually device-based remote apps.

Touchsquid also supports external IR blaster for devices hidden behind cabinets or walls, especially useful for home theater media room set up. Touchsquid will work with non-galaxy tablets when in use with external IR blasters such as Global Cache, Keene or IRTrans

You can download Touchsquid for a free trial run.
Just go to the google play store and download the free trial app.

When you consider all the features and capabilities, Touchsquid Home is a bargain. If you find your device is not listed in the database, email tech support and they will add the IR remote code for your device.

Last edited by clarinet; 09-17-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: duplicate text
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinet View Post
Touchsquid has two different versions, the HOME for the lite user, and the PRO for the sophisticated user. It has many more features.

FOREMOST, Touchsquid is an activity based remote control, which means one button turn on/off all devices connected with an activity. Lower priced universal remote apps are usually device-based remote apps.

Touchsquid also supports external IR blaster for devices hidden behind cabinets or walls, especially useful for home theater media room set up. Touchsquid will work with non-galaxy tablets when in use with external IR blasters such as Global Cache, Keene or IRTrans

You can download Touchsquid for a free trial run.
Just go to the google play store and download the free trial app.

When you consider all the features and capabilities, Touchsquid Home is a bargain. If you find your device is not listed in the database, email tech support and they will add the IR remote code for your device.
Does Touchsquid have any Z-Wave tendencies? Or some way to tie into a Home Automation System like the MCV Veras? A plugin??
Old 09-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
I'm liking the idea of using a tablet as a remote control for a variety of reasons, so as the title suggests, are there any decent universal remote apps for a tablets with a built in IR blaster?
I've been reading a bit about the Roomie and a couple of others but they seem more geared to a complicated networking set-up and I want something more along the line of my Harmony One on a tablet.
Roomie is an IPad app. IPad does not have a built-in IR blaster, and requires an external IR blaster.

You can try out Touchsquid GR which is an Android app. It works with all Samsung smartphones or tablets that have built-in IR blaster. It is an ACTIVITY based app much like the Harmony One. There is a Home and a Pro version. You can download the free 10 day trial and test drive the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....control&hl=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr5008 9 2 Channel Network Home Theater Receiver , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Logitech Harmony 1100 Universal Remote Control