Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > setting up home theatre using Bose 901s w/the equalizer
sulligen's Avatar sulligen 02:54 PM 08-24-2011
I want to set-up a home theatre system using Bose 901 series V speakers with the Bose equalizer as the front speakers. I still want to keep the option of listening in 2-channel mode, but the Bose manual says you can't connect other speakers to your receiver/amp and use the equalizer at the same time, as this type of setup will possibly damage the second set of speakers. The manual says you have to use a second amp to run these other speakers . I've noticed that some of the H/T receivers have a "preamp out" connection. Does anyone know if I can connect a second power amp, intergrated amp, or pre-amp to this connection to run the Bose as the front speakers while in home theatre mode. Of course, I could just unplug the equalizer. Hope this makes some sense.

Ratman's Avatar Ratman 03:02 PM 08-24-2011
If your receiver has pre-in/main-out for the the front channels, use that.

With 901's... you have to use the Bose EQ.

Why not list the make/models of your existing gear.
sulligen's Avatar sulligen 05:39 PM 08-24-2011
Thanks! I've held off on buying a H/T receiver until I can get this problem solved. I don't want to buy one until I'm sure I can use the 901s with it. I've always been a 2-channel guy until now. I'm runing a Dynaco Stereo 80 tube power amp w/ a NAD 1130 preamp, B&O turntable and CD player into the 901s and plan to use a pair of B&W DM2 series 2 as the rear speakers. I do have a separate Rotel intergrated amp as well, which I'm not using at the moment. I also have a pair of vintage 16 omm JBLs I could use.
Also, would the equalizer interfere with a powered subwoofer? Thanks!
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 07:52 PM 08-24-2011
AVRs have a separate subwoofer output so you'll be OK. Just take the L/R preamp outputs from the AVR into your Bose EQ, then into your power amp. That way you don't have to change anything, just put the AVR into stereo mode when you want to listen to only the L/R (plus sub -- you may have to set the Bose 901's to "small" to keep the sub working in stereo mode).

The warning from Bose is essentially to not put anything else after the EQ, such as might happen if it were inserted into the tape loop and then additional power amps were used. The Bose EQ looks like a big ol' smiley face...
walbert's Avatar walbert 11:07 AM 08-25-2011
Agreed with what Don has said. The only issue you'd likely create is if you're using a power amp that does A+B (or a speaker selector), and some other pair of main speakers that aren't 901s, or are connecting a subwoofer between the amplifier and the 901s. Anything connected to the other amplifiers/amplifier outputs will not be damaged or affected by the 901 EQ (if you're using it between pre-outs and an amp).

Depending on your stereo pre-amp, it may have a bypass mode, which would allow you to connect the AVR/prepro "above" that, and bypass said AVR/prepro for stereo listening. This is preferential, but it may be supported.
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 12:13 PM 08-25-2011
Assuming the AVR has pre outs. Point being, ensure the one you purchase has them. The more inexpensive ones don't, at least the last time I looked at receivers anyway.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 12:33 PM 08-25-2011
^^^ Good point. Even fewer have preamp input terminals; not sure any of the 5 - 6 AVRs I have sitting around the house have preamp inputs. That seems to have gone away, meaning you can no longer easily insert a processor or EQ like the Bose into your AVR; you are forced to use an external amp. Not a problem in this case, but could be a hard lesson for somebody without an extra amp around.
walbert's Avatar walbert 09:43 AM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

^^^ Good point. Even fewer have preamp input terminals; not sure any of the 5 - 6 AVRs I have sitting around the house have preamp inputs. That seems to have gone away, meaning you can no longer easily insert a processor or EQ like the Bose into your AVR; you are forced to use an external amp. Not a problem in this case, but could be a hard lesson for somebody without an extra amp around.

I have, and have actually seen, *one* AVR with such a loop, and it's nearly 20 years old. I know of three others, two are even older (one doesn't even do digital). I'd go with an external amp.

One option to consider in the "inexpensive" range is the Yamaha RX-A700, especially now that it's on close-out at most retailers (to make space for the newer A710).
DonH50's Avatar DonH50 12:42 PM 08-26-2011
The ones I have had are technically not AVRs, no "V", but I didn't want to admit it...
surfndnet's Avatar surfndnet 11:27 PM 11-23-2011
Is this thread still being replied to? I'd like to ask a question.

Bose 901's w/ Eq
Bose 301's rear
Velodyne subwoofer

PS3 Input
HD Tv with HDMI & 1- Optical

Can this system work safely on a Yamaha RX-A700
If so, what is the setup? Please go easy on tech jargon...
whoaru99's Avatar whoaru99 08:51 AM 11-24-2011
Looks like that receiver has pre outs so it should work, if you use an external power amp for the front channels (assuming that's where you're going to use the 901s).
pkj24 06:09 PM 03-22-2015
Sorry to bump an old thread, however I have recently purchased set of Bose 901 series VI speakers (and EQ) and I want to incorporate them into my current 5.1 home theatre set up (cue Bose hatred).

My current receiver is a Pioneer VSX-917V, and after a lot of internet research I think I will buy the Yamaha R-S700 to essentially run as the 'pre-amp' for the 901s...

The problem is I have limited knowledge on how to connect the set-up (ie. Pioneer (rears and centre) to power to Yamaha (fronts) to 901s and EQ), or even it that is possible, so I am hoping for a little guidance.

I'm happy to buy a new receiver to run everything, however I think with the EQ for the Bose a stand alone 2 channel amp with tape monitor (or some other way to connect the 901 EQ) is the way to go. Open to suggestions of any other gear that may help (within budget of around $600-$1000)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Cheers
PJ
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 06:51 AM 03-23-2015
Connect the Bose EQ to either "main in/pre-out" or a "tape-loop".
skishanc 01:37 AM 03-27-2017
Hello all,

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. well as it goes i am having trouble connecting the speakers up.

Im running a denon PMA 1520AE. Connected the bose eq "out" to the "power amp in" of the receiver and the "pre out" of the receiver to the bose eq "in"

This was followed as per the manual from bose, yet speakers sound terrible! Its as if the active eq has no effect at all,so im thinking either my connections are wrong or theres something wrong with the active eq..What am i doing wrong? some one pls shed some light,,this thing is annoying me!

Thanks alot in advance..ive attached some pics to make it easier..
Attached: pic2.jpg (143.5 KB) pic1.jpg (207.7 KB)
PrimeTime's Avatar PrimeTime 01:34 PM 03-29-2017
Start with simple things. Like: Make sure that the button on the Denon marked "POWER AMP DIRECT" is pushed in (ON position). Otherwise the Bose Equalizer likely will be bypassed.

The SOURCE DIRECT button may have to be out (OFF position) too.
Up
View Full Version