Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Onkyo TX-NR609 HDMI board failure
jacfonso's Avatar jacfonso 06:25 AM 03-17-2014

Hi everyone,

Since I´m new here in this forum, first of all I would like to send my best regards to all members and thanks all the help that you can give me. 

So my first post is regarding the Onkyo TX-NR609 HDMI board failure, it seems to be a common problem in this receiver and others onkyo receiver too. So I would like to know if there is a DIY fix for this problem ? like the one presented in the thread called 

"how-to-diy-tx-sr576-tx-sr606-etc-hdmi-daughterboard-repair-for-dummies". 

Many thanks

Jacfonso

drocpsu's Avatar drocpsu 08:29 AM 03-17-2014
No idea, but I will say that I also just encountered this issue with my Integra DTR-50.2. Fortunately I was within my warranty period and so it's off for repair currently. Good luck with getting it corrected.
Buddy-Matt's Avatar Buddy-Matt 04:47 AM 05-13-2014

This worked when my 609 stopped working yesterday...

probably a temp fix, but better than nothing!

TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 11:50 AM 05-13-2014
I don't think the hair dryer had anything to do with it. More than likely just turning it on and off as many times as he did it just finally decided to work. I think he would do a better job if he just wraped it up in a heating pad to keep it warm...wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Lostonmountain's Avatar Lostonmountain 12:19 PM 05-13-2014

Didn't watch the video but I'm guessing the thing is supposed to work once "warmed up?"  Could be if there was a bad connection or solder point somewhere, too cold and the metal shrinks so no connection, warm it up and the metal expands and you get a connection...does happen sometimes.  What will happen is it will get worse over time and no amount of heating will fix it.  Best thing to do is check and make sure all wire connectors are firmly in place, and look for loose/broken wires.  Looking for a cracked solder connection is possible but they can be hard to spot.

It's also possible some component is working only when warm, it too will fail after awhile.  Trying to find which one can be hard you usually can't tell just by looking unless it burned up (which it won't be if it works sometimes).  So unless there is a specific component known to fail a lot it's probably pretty hopeless for someone who doesn't have the equipment needed to diagnose bad electronics.

xcrunner529's Avatar xcrunner529 02:29 PM 06-08-2014
Mine just died too. No sound and no access to network settings or any network connection at all. I bought this probably 2 years ago so I'm assuming no warranty? Now it's just a glorified HDmi switcher. Never buying Onkyo again!
NODES's Avatar NODES 04:07 PM 06-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Mine just died too. No sound and no access to network settings or any network connection at all. I bought this probably 2 years ago so I'm assuming no warranty? Now it's just a glorified HDmi switcher. Never buying Onkyo again!

contact ONKYO they might do a one time repair on the board....worth a try.
chipmorg 08:54 AM 09-15-2014
Had the HDMI board replaced and upon re-installing we only get half the sound channels, e.g., we can hear everything on the field during a football game, but no commentating. Some channels we hear, others there is no sound. Also, we have to crank the volume up to 50 or 55 to hear anything at all! Any ideas??
Up
View Full Version