Forum Jump:
Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know what is the gauge of Monster XPMS-xx and XPGP-xx speaker cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Most of the popular XP models (ie. XPMS, XPNWMS, XP Ultra-THX, etc.,...) are typically like 16AWG. This includes, for example, the ever popular "Navajo White" insulated, parallel conductor construction wire.

The "Ultra-High-Performance" XPHP is like 14AWG, (twisted pair), great for long runs-- in-wall or out-of-wall. I would prefer this model if you can find it.

The "Original Monster Cable" is like 12AWG, parallel conductor, heavy insulation, excellent, for all-around.

The latest "New Monster Cable" is, supposedly, 10AWG, parallel conductor, heavy insulation, probably the best.

The attatched image has a few wire samples (from left to right):
1. XP, Navajo White
2. XP, Ultra-THX
3. XPHP, Ultra-High-Performance- THX
4. Acoustic Research (AR) 12AWG
5. Original Monster Cable
Old 10-23-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm trying to find some suitable banana plugs but many I've come across are for thicker wire gauges like 12. The twist-on types are appealing but the wire is too loose inside of them. Looks like the Monster Quick-Lock type are for 12 awg and wouldn't really work well for 16awg.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Gotta love Monster's marketing. They'll tell you how great the wire is, but don't mention the gauge.

They also use the deceptive practice of heavy jackets which make the physical wire look FAR bigger than it is. I know the Monster XP I bought at CompUSA was 16awg even though it looked like it was 14.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I would agree with you on that. I was unable to determine wire gauge from Monster's web site or resellers web sites like Amazon, Crutchfield, BB, CC, etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 PM

The Monster QuickLock Banana's (QL GMT-H) work beautiful with all Monster wire products.
LL
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD
The Monster QuickLock Banana's (QL GMT-H) work beautiful with all Monster wire products.
they should for $10 a pair or whatever outrageous price they are :p
Old 10-23-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Gotta love Monster's marketing. They'll tell you how great the wire is, but don't mention the gauge.

They also use the deceptive practice of heavy jackets which make the physical wire look FAR bigger than it is. I know the Monster XP I bought at CompUSA was 16awg even though it looked like it was 14.
I've been saying that for a long time...

:confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the online-shashki honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I read somewhere that the QuickLock Banana's (QL GMT-H) only work with 12 awg wire. So they work well with 16 awg wire also? Just want to be sure before shelling out $80 for four packs.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad
I read somewhere that the QuickLock Banana's (QL GMT-H) only work with 12 awg wire. So they work well with 16 awg wire also? Just want to be sure before shelling out $80 for four packs.

I sure hope this is a joke. Its late and I think I'm missing the invisible tongue-in-cheek.

He who dies with the most toys wins.
Just make sure your toys are over 18.

System 1: Harman Kardon AVR-745, AV123 X-Statik, X-Voce, X-LS, MFW-15
Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 PM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
The fact is, as long as it's sufficient (and it is) it doesn't matter what gauge it is.

You either think speaker wire can make a difference or you don't. If you don't think it can make a difference, then you know that the gauge is irrelevant as long as it is sufficient (and it is).

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-me
I sure hope this is a joke. Its late and I think I'm missing the invisible tongue-in-cheek.
Oops, a misunderstanding/mis-statement on my part. :confused:
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad
I read somewhere that the QuickLock Banana's (QL GMT-H) only work with 12 awg wire. So they work well with 16 awg wire also?
yeah, I use these on 16AWG, 14AWG, and 12AWG with no problem.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
The fact is, as long as it's sufficient (and it is) it doesn't matter what gauge it is.

You either think speaker wire can make a difference or you don't. If you don't think it can make a difference, then you know that the gauge is irrelevant as long as it is sufficient (and it is).
That makes no sense if you think that the only thing that makes it sufficient is gauge. How can you tell it will be sufficient without knowing the gauge?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a good read that contains a table for speaker length/gauge:

http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn
That makes no sense if you think that the only thing that makes it sufficient is gauge. How can you tell it will be sufficient without knowing the gauge?
I KNOW it's sufficient. And, no, not just because of it's gauge. Because it works just fine.

That was my point.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I KNOW it's sufficient. And, no, not just because of it's gauge. Because it works just fine.

That was my point.
Sure, if it's installed in your home already. But the poster was talking about Monster marketing which doesn't say anything about gauge. How are you suppose to know that it will be sufficient before you buy it if they don't tell you the gauge?

Do they say it's 'sufficient for runs of up to X feet" on the packaging?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn
But the poster was talking about Monster marketing which doesn't say anything about gauge. How are you suppose to know that it will be sufficient before you buy it if they don't tell you the gauge?
You could trust 'em. They've been manufacturing speaker cable for a long time and probably sell more than anyone. I've never heard ANYONE claim Monster Cable to be insufficient for any standard length run.

No, I'm not a Monster fanboy at all. But I have no Monster-bashing agenda, either. I just think at some point you have to trust certain manufacturers, with proven track records, to be selling a reasonably decent product.

Monster Cable works just fine. If it didn't, they wouldn't sell so much of it. Who cares what the gauge is?

It's just like running a restaurant. If the food ain't good, you go out of business.

Get over the Monster-hatred. If you don't want to use it, fine. Use something else. I do.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem
Here's a good read that contains a table for speaker length/gauge:

http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
A partner of mine with an incredible ear for audio and my father, a sound and vibration engineer, would agree completely with this article. Good reading.

Read about the Sony Rootkit fiasco. http://boingboing.net/2005/11/14...stomer-te.html
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
You could trust 'em.
No thanks! :D

Old 10-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It's just like running a restaurant. If the food ain't good, you go out of business.
What if it was owned by a mutli-billion-dollar marketing firm that has had continued success in "helping" people think that their food and service was great. And that for those that want great food and service that the only place to go is to their restaurant?

Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
What if it was owned by a mutli-billion-dollar marketing firm that has had continued success in "helping" people think that their food and service was great. And that for those that want great food and service that the only place to go is to their restaurant?
What if? Does it make you "fat and happy" or not?

Monster Cable works fine for almost any application. And so does lamp cord.

My point is that it doesn't really matter what the gauge is, as long as it works. And it DOES work.

I really don't find the exclusion of the wire's gauge to be that deceptive unless they are trying to decieve people who just simply fixate on a speaker wire's gauge as the sole determinant of it's quality and value.

There may be plenty of good reasons to hate or boycott Monster. That they don't put the wire's gauge on the wire isn't one of them.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
There may be plenty of good reasons to hate or boycott Monster. That they don't put the wire's gauge on the wire isn't one of them.
I'm still in "that" boat that likes the product but not the company. I believe their products do not offer a solid value to its core consumer/customer.( I would put B*$E in this catagory as well. I would buy their products if I were interested in ambiance music that is well hidable and has a high ease of use.) I believe that Monster has equity in the people not knowing the true "value" of their product. After all, speakers cables are just that. They are not a Porsche to highlight ones affluance. I have been, and will continue to be, a sap for this kind of marketing company, however, despite my vigilace to the contrary in these situations. I am still a human being prone to err in circumstances of arrousal. I am also not a "first adopter" so I enjoy sitting back, from time-to-time, and listen and read what others think. I believe that information is power. If we pass it along then Monster loses its grip and society regains it power.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

According to the chart I linked above, you do need the proper gauge depending of the length of your run, and the ohmage of your speaker.

So the fact that they don't tell you the gauge of the speaker is no better than Bose not publishing their speaker frequency response charts IMO.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM

Bottom-line is they (Monster) make good wire/cable products. No conspiracy theory here............
Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
If we pass it along then Monster loses its grip and society regains it power.
LOL. Sheesh, I wish Monster Cable was an important evil which society faces. That'd be easy to deal with. We've got a lot worse problems than Monster Cable. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem
According to the chart I linked above, you do need the proper gauge depending of the length of your run, and the ohmage of your speaker.

So the fact that they don't tell you the gauge of the speaker is no better than Bose not publishing their speaker frequency response charts IMO.
As I said, as long as it's sufficient to do the job, it really doesn't matter what the gauge is. I've never heard ANYONE complain that their Monster Cable was not of sufficient gauge to do the job they intended it to do. EVER.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Monster Cable works just fine. If it didn't, they wouldn't sell so much of it.

Except they dont sell so much of it. The pimple faced kid at Best Buy does it for them. I just watched as some kid who told this couple that if they wanted to hear everything as perfect as the ones in the store they needed all the monster interconnects and speaker cable he had. They had no clue and went right along with them. Thats the problem it may work just fine but its overpriced hype that the average joe gets taken for a ride on. When the kid went away to get some stuff I pulled them aside and gave them the bluejeans and mono price info as well as to go to HD for wire. I moved on, to buy the overpriced CD I wanted, so i dont know if they took my advice or not.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherryj
A partner of mine with an incredible ear for audio and my father, a sound and vibration engineer, would agree completely with this article. Good reading.
Then you need to visit the forums at PSaudio.com and try to convince them otherwise, my friend Dave and someone named thea could use the help.
http://support.siasoft.com/forum/supftocf.htm
Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
As I said, as long as it's sufficient to do the job, it really doesn't matter what the gauge is. I've never heard ANYONE complain that their Monster Cable was not of sufficient gauge to do the job they intended it to do. EVER.
So gauge isn't important. If I need runs of 60 feet to reach 4 ohms speakers in a second room, then absolutely any package with Monster Cable written it will do, because they know best and I don't need to know any of that stuff. :rolleyes:

Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks but I ordered some of these...
http://crutchfield.com/S-4OrmuqY...113&I=119MTTMH
There were two sizes available, Regular for 12/14 awg and Mini for 16 awg. I got the latter so hopefully they'll work well with the 16 gauge Monster XP speaker cable. If not, I'll take a look at the QuickLocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement