Speakers > Official Pioneer XW-SMA1, XW-SMA3, XW-SMA4 Wi-Fi speakers
pointthinker 01:22 PM 03-21-2015
These Andrew Jones designed Wi-Fi speakers don’t get the respect they deserve. So I made a thread just for them. Initially, they were quite expensive. Pioneer dropped the prices very low and they flew. I got my XW-SMA3 for a steal.
But, Pioneer messed up by including a horrible “folding map” manual with it. A nightmare. Wi-Fi set up was confusing, unless you knew exactly what to do. Also, Pioneer renamed some technical Wi-Fi terms which, only confused set up more. The smooth touch only front controls (mirror black on mirror black) make for a nice clean surface but a crappy user experience. Pioneer customer service was of no help.
Once you make it over that mountain and set them up right, in my case - on my Wi-Fi network - they work great for AirPlay. Well, most of the time. Sometimes, rarely, they act up and seem to vanish. Then, it is best to back off and come back in 5 minutes when things seem to “reset”. But this is as much an AirPlay issue as anything else. While I keep mine on standby (low power but on network) mode, they also seem to vanish from that. This could also simply be my old Airport Extreme too. Regardless, patience and time are needed in setting up and, when they don’t seem to be working right on AirPlay.
It is a good idea to do the factory reset on your XW-SMA. Then do the firmware upgrade. Tricky, I could NOT get Safari to run Bonjour/Airplay form its menu. Eventually, I downloaded a free plug in for Firefox that allows Bonjour/AirPlay devices to be picked. It worked immediately (ironically) with no fuss. I updated, then renamed the XW-SMA. After that, I used the WPS “add” method of getting on the network. (In an all Apple Wi-Fi world, use the AirPort Utility and pick "add WPS printer" from a menu. For other routers, I think you just press the WPS button on it. Both are easy.)
There is a wireless direct option and some even say to just do that. But I found it easier and more reliable to have the XW-SMA set to standby mode so the Wi-Fi is on my network and ready to go. Then, I just pick from the AirPlay menu in iTunes or via AirPlay on my iOS device.
I also use the Pioneer app often. It includes vTuner (but, sadly, does not use my vTuner account, kind of a hassle to use it since one has to search each time and there is no bookmarking of stations or organizing at all. Dumb.). The app also has Pandora which, works well but is nothing to write home about with UI and user experience, and uses your Pandora account. It seems to play a single non repeating ad very rarely compared to regular free Pandora or other free services. There is also Spotify but, you have to pay for that to work. Keep in mind, these services just mean that they are built into the speakers. So you can start one up, leave town with your iOS or other device and, the speaker keeps on playing! I can see no other advantage.
There is also a USB, LAN and Aux-in ports on back. So you can skip Wi-Fi or use an old iPod in a pinch.
It also has Android HTC Connect and dlna too. But, I don’t have those.
Having said all that, once you figure it all out, the XW-SMAs are very nice indeed. You can turn up the volume to the point it is dangerous for hearing, so don’t.
The XW-SMA3 is portable only in that it has a battery (works well, lasts long, but slightly less power) and has some water resistance. But, why would you put this right next to a pool? You can just as easily plug the XW-SMA1 or XW-SMA4 into a nearby outlet and crank them up. Just make sure it is not raining. The XW-SMA3 is not for wet or humid places long term. Not a bathroom speaker either.
I use it in an office during the day and sometimes portably if I am doing taxes in another room, sitting in the sun, stuff like that.
Here is a model comparison chart: http://pioneerelectronics.com/ep...e_spotify2.pdf
The product sheet: http://pioneerelectronics.com/ep...Spotify_v2.pdf
To find each speaker page with more info on Pioneer, google the model.

pointthinker 04:21 PM 03-23-2015
OK, there is a way to have vTuner favorites on your XW-SMA speaker. Go to Help in the Pioneer app. Write down the access code.
Go to Pioneer.vtuner.com. Register, again, for each device.
(My existing vTuner account I use on a Yamaha, didn't work. Most likely because each brand cuts a deal with vTuner. Still, annoying! I literally transcribed my Yamaha stations, displayed on on the TV via the receiver, to find and enter onto a second vTuner account. vTuner is primative, you can't even reorder stations in folders, but one user account with multiple devices should be easy.)
Then wait 24 hours.
Eventually, favorites pops up as an option in the Pioneer app accessed via the ugly internet radio icon.
pointthinker 10:51 AM 03-26-2015
I’ve read many posts on the internet about how AirPlay is a problem (sometimes or all the time) with these speakers.
Once I got it up and running, I’ve never had AirPlay “network specific” problems (I think) in the past but, yesterday, it happend.
I could see all blue lights on the XW-SMA3 indicating it was on the network and should be working. I saw the XW-SMA3 on Bonjour via Firefox and a free Bonjour plug in (remember: I could never get Safari to see any devices!). But iTunes would not connect. It kind of froze up and then timed out with a network error and that was that.
While iTunes seemed to *start* AirPlay as a connection, it quickly got stuck in, for lack of a better term, the “blue strip” mode. A blue strip that has text telling you the AirPlay connection process.
I first tried that OS X Terminal code, sorry, forgot what it clears. One of the caches used by AirPlay. That did nothing.
I also could not access via iTunes and AirPlay from two iOS devices. But I COULD access the XW-SMA3 and play music via the Pioneer iOS app (Pandora, internet radio). This connection works differently from Airplay. (Annoyingly so as, it is a default link despite the user not specifying it. But, that is another UX discussion entirely.)
What this told me was that it was not the speaker(!) not the OS X or iOS devices but rather something happening with my network and specifically, something to do with how Apple runs AirPlay on it as all other networking was functioning fine.
I did run a permissions repair last thing before leaving this problem to the morning. This also does, supposedly, help with AirPlay networking issues. (Running permissions repair more often then never is a good idea anyway for OS X in general. Even, still, with Mavericks and Yosemite…)
The next morning, I restarted my AirPort Extreme 802.11n (1st gen) along with the Mac (the permission repair had completed).
Airplay works like a charm now. While I think the permission repair was a good idea, I believe it was the AirPort Extreme (rock solid from day one) that was the root of the issue. It just seems to have choked on something and, needed to spit it out.
So, if you encounter a similar issue with AirPlay and your XW-SMA speaker after not having very many or no issues with connecting to the speaker with Airplay and iTunes in the past; First restart your router. It that does not fix it; Then do that Terminal reset (search Apple forums on this issue) + repair your permissions + restart the router one more time. Restart the Mac after permissions repair too.
If that does not fix it (and no other funny business is involved on your part), get a new router. That was my next step. Getting a new Airport Extreme “ac". But, for my light use, the old work horse AE “n” I have is fine. As long as it lasts…
pointthinker 02:20 PM 04-01-2015
Suddenly, AirPlay stunk to the XW-SMA. Drops, pauses, all kinds of bad and dropped connections. Even on non Pioneer audio devices.
Long story short, before you do anything, restart your Wi-Fi router(s).
You’ll probably have to access the web site for it and do a Web based restart first. Depends on model and brand.
For AirPorts, first do a restart in the AirPort Utility.
If that does not fix it, do a factory reset. Instructions here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201945
I over reacted and thought my old Extreme was bad but, it just needed a restart. Wasted a day fiddling with the Pioneer then setting up a spare Express.
Realizing, the Express did not have the power of the Extreme, I did the reset and, so far so good.
If trouble comes up again, and a reset does not long term resolve it, then the 1st gen express will be replaced…
pointthinker 09:31 AM 07-21-2015
Assuming you have set it up right. Endured the crappy manual. Have been using it for a while now.

There is one more thing…

You may have to restart the speaker if there is any event, like a power outage or network outage or if your ISP goes down.
Turn it off. Unplug it. Plug it back in. Restart it. Will work again.

There is another instance where the speaker may lock up. (You will know it because no matter what you do, the light blinks and it is not working.) In that case, unplug it and leave it powered by the battery. It will eventually automatically shut off to conserve power (make sure your AirPlay network is not connected to it). Then you can plug it back in and power it up. It should be OK after that.

If you connect with Spotify Connect but then want to use Airplay, you first have to quit Spotify *before* you attempt to start up AirPlay via iTunes.

If Spotify Connect does not connect, try connecting via AirPlay first. You can just play via that. But if you want to give the MP3 conversion job to the speaker (the only reason to use Spotify Connect), it should connect after AirPlay if you then, disconnect the AirPlay.
stoobz 06:34 AM 11-05-2015
Hi pointhinker!

I can see you spent a great deal with this speakers.
I got them as well and set them up for my wifi using usb-connection to an iphone.
That worked and I used them with airplay. so far very happy.
But then I upgraded the firmware to the latest 1080 (at least I think it is the latest)
After that I can´t seem to get it to work again. I spent aprox. 4 hours trying everything ( with downgrading to older firmware and all) but no success.

It comes down to two important things where you can maybe hint me in the right direction:

1st: The speaker always goes to WirelessDirect-mode ( I can see a new wifi-network called WirelessDirect2345335 scanning with my smartphone) and I can´t seem to turn that off. I can switch to the PioneerDirect-Mode to connect it directly to the app on my phone, but after a reboot it goes back to WirelessDirect-Mode

and 2nd: I can´t reset it. If I press power and input at the same time for more than 3 seconds nothing at all happens. My latest idea is now to unplug it from the power and turn it on all the time until the battery is super empty. maybe that does reset it...

If you have any idea to help me with that I would appreciate it really very much.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Hamburg,
Steffen.
skesler's Avatar skesler 08:23 PM 11-06-2016
Any one using the XW-SMA1 to stream Pandora? We've been using it for a couple of years, and it has been working great.

Recent we had to reset the speaker and now when we try to setup the Pandora account info in the Pioneer Control App, all we get is a 'Server Error'.

I know Pandora made some recent protocol changes, and some Pioneer and Denon receivers have lost their Pandora functionality. I would like to understand if these Pioneer wifi speakers (XW-SMA1, XW-SMA1) still work with Pandora?

Please let me know if you are having issues.
skesler's Avatar skesler 08:33 PM 11-06-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobz View Post
...and 2nd: I can´t reset it. If I press power and input at the same time for more than 3 seconds nothing at all happens. My latest idea is now to unplug it from the power and turn it on all the time until the battery is super empty. maybe that does reset it....
@stoobz I noticed that to reset, I had to first touch/hold the input switch, then hold the power switch for x seconds, then all 3 lights would go to purple. This seemed to do a factory reset. You also have to remove and reapply power to get it to come up 'like new'.
Dharrels 09:45 PM 11-09-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by skesler View Post
Any one using the XW-SMA1 to stream Pandora? We've been using it for a couple of years, and it has been working great.

Recent we had to reset the speaker and now when we try to setup the Pandora account info in the Pioneer Control App, all we get is a 'Server Error'.

I know Pandora made some recent protocol changes, and some Pioneer and Denon receivers have lost their Pandora functionality. I would like to understand if these Pioneer wifi speakers (XW-SMA1, XW-SMA1) still work with Pandora?

My XW-SMA3 as well as a VSX-823 receiver stopped connecting to Pandora. The receiver stopped working a few months before the speaker, not at the same time. I've seen similar problems in the past and resets have helped, but not now. Do you have a link to the Pandora protocol change details?
skesler's Avatar skesler 10:02 AM 11-11-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharrels View Post
Do you have a link to the Pandora protocol change details?
I found this on the Denon site - http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...on-login-issue
Dharrels 10:00 AM 11-14-2016
Thanks for the link. Looks like nothing from Pioneer yet.
indolent's Avatar indolent 04:26 PM 11-22-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by skesler View Post

My sma4 also has the issue. Here is the response I received from Pioneer.

Quote:

We are working on a fix for this. In the meantime please use airplay to play Pandora through the receiver.

No idea on a time frame for the fix though. I'm thinking of just getting a chromecast audio for my speaker.
ralphwiggum1's Avatar ralphwiggum1 09:26 AM 01-27-2017
Another issue that seems related to iOS 10, the speaker will no longer wake up from sleep/standby when connecting via Airplay. You can see the device and connect, but it stays sleeping.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
toroidal 09:31 PM 02-15-2017
I have been told by the Australian distributor for Pioneer Home Entertainment, Power Move, that the firmware to fix the Pandora "Server Error" is unlikely to never be available for XW-SMA models as 3 years makes them old models. Is that not the point of firmware? I think it is more likely that Pandora would prefer to have new subscribers. If that is the case, then a hole lot of fault finding could be avoided if the discontinuation of the service was made know.
torose's Avatar torose 11:33 AM 03-08-2017
I emailed US Pioneer support asking about Pandora future fix, and they said it would not be released. So not being Spotify user and the interface being a pain to use for radio station selection, this unit is headed for budget sale in Craigslist. Just a shame as it sounds good and still better than many of current offerings.
mshe's Avatar mshe 06:06 PM 07-03-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by toroidal View Post
I have been told by the Australian distributor for Pioneer Home Entertainment, Power Move, that the firmware to fix the Pandora "Server Error" is unlikely to never be available for XW-SMA models as 3 years makes them old models. Is that not the point of firmware? I think it is more likely that Pandora would prefer to have new subscribers. If that is the case, then a hole lot of fault finding could be avoided if the discontinuation of the service was made know.
That's unfortunate - I don't use Pandora since it's not popular in Canada, but Denon did update some of their old receivers with Pandora compatibility. It's too bad Pioneer never really supported the A1/A4 speakers very well because it's probably one of the better sounding but affordable WiFi speakers out there.
Eliza Summerlin 03:31 PM 10-31-2017
My power switching cable got all chewed up in a move and I'm looking to replace it. I have the XW-SMA4-K model and pioneer no longer makes the power switching cable (not totally sure how that is possible). I've looked on Amazon and found two models, but wanted a second opinion to see if others had thoughts or have had this problem before. One of the cables says it is specifically for this model of Pioneer speaker but doesn't list the output voltage. I'm worried about blowing out my speakers. Thanks in advance!

p.s. I included a photo of the specs for the cable that came with the speaker below.
Attached: IMG_3357.JPG.jpg (130.8 KB)
pointthinker 09:32 AM 11-26-2017
I did the flash update a few years ago when it came out and, things were funky for a bit but, I was able to do a reset and, it is fine. As far as that goes. (Patience is required for these speakers.)

Pandora does seem to no longer work from the Pioneer app on iOS.
However, if you use the Pandora app and airplay, Pandora works fine.

The internet radio feature in the Pioneer app also works fine. Many great commercial free stations there Linn, various public in U.S., Dinner Jazz Excursion Radio, international stations.

The only downside to the free stations is that it is set up on vTuner, which—when you enter the specific pioneer.tuner.com web address to log in and set up stations—has a 1990s interface from hell. Make sure you decide on order and classification of the stations in your favorites before you add any (pencil and paper) because, once in, that is it! Sadly, vTuner is also used by Yamaha products too. The state of UI and UX affairs by Japanese audio companies is shocking after a decade of iPhone and others to show them how it should work. Even the camera companies are getting it. Audio is stuck in the 1990s or early 2000s at best (it was the 1980s with Yamaha for a while!)

Finally: Just a reminder, there is 3.5mm audio-in jack on these speakers. So if you want to stick a $30 (on sale) Alexa Dot on it, you can speak to it to play Pandora, TuneIn, Amazon Music, etc. So the units will never be totally dead. But I agree, audio companies should makes these last for at least 7 years. In the case of a high end name/price like Jones, 10+! Heck, they should just make the speaker Alexa compatible (like my simple three year old Sensi thermostat did a year ago). That would solve all these issues as you can use Spot, Pan, Heart, or TuneIn radio using voice from any Alexa.
pointthinker 11:22 AM 12-12-2017
I spoke too soon.
Suddenly, the 3.5 mm minijack AUX on the back is not working. I had been enjoying an Amazon Echo Dot using a high quality cable on it, doing voice commands like reminders and timers in my office and music. But the speaker has been turning off and back on a few times over hours and days. So working 99.99999% of the time. Just doing the random restarts the past week. Then, a few days ago, no AUX function. Zip. Nothing.

I tested different cables and players and, it is just not working.

The speaker itself is working as I can use the Pioneer app to play anything from that. The switching on and off out of blue is still randomly happening even playing via the Pioneer app.

Any ideas what is happening and, how to get the AUX back?!

I let the unit power off on battery so it was dead. Then I plugged it back in but, that did not reset it.
Up
View Full Version