Speakers > Monitor Audio Silver 6 - good/bad?
nadav2605 09:30 AM 12-17-2014
Hi,

Looking for 2 floorstanders for my 13x25 living room for stereo music listening. Mostly listen to Jazz and classic rock. I saw the Monitor Audio Silver 6 used for $700/pair. Is that a good deal? The other option right now is the EMP Tek R55 for $550/pair... Which option would sound better and by how much? I'm most probably going with the Denon AVR X-1000 as a receiver.

Thanks!

zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 03:35 PM 12-17-2014
No one, can tell you by how much difference one speaker would sound better.

The prices for them 2 different brand speakers, is a good deal.
nadav2605 08:03 AM 12-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
No one, can tell you by how much difference one speaker would sound better.

The prices for them 2 different brand speakers, is a good deal.
Yes I understand, but theoretically there could be a big quality difference between two speakers.. I don't know how the Monitor Audio (at $1,500/pair new) compares to the EMP Tek's... Are they both kind of in the same playground level? Cause if they are I will just go with the brand new ones of course..

Thanks,
Nadav
FMW's Avatar FMW 08:10 AM 12-18-2014
I haven't heard the Monitor Audio but it is certainly a compahy that produces excellent speakers. I would doubt seriously that would sound better than the EMP but it certainly is possible. You will have to listen for yourself.
ohrbrcko's Avatar ohrbrcko 09:56 AM 12-18-2014
The Silver 6s sell for $1,500 a pair new from an authorized dealer. So you are getting them for 50% off. Not much in the way of reviews - one from What HiFi. The 8s and 10s have gotten very good reviews. I own a pair of the 10s. I upgraded from a pair of RS6s. The Silver 6s and EMP Tek R55 come from companies that definitely make great speakers - deep bench of experience. Tough decision.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 11:35 AM 12-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadav2605 View Post
Yes I understand, but theoretically there could be a big quality difference between two speakers.. I don't know how the Monitor Audio (at $1,500/pair new) compares to the EMP Tek's... Are they both kind of in the same playground level? Cause if they are I will just go with the brand new ones of course..
Sound is subjective - and people out there based on some bias, and from not listening
to other speakers - will try to declare something or down grade another speaker.

I will tell you that I preferred the Monitor Audio RX Silver 6 speakers, over some $10,000
McIntosh speakers that I listened too. However, that does not guarantee how much you
would like them

I have owned some speakers from the RBH/EMP company in the pass - and it would not
be fair to comment based on their/that pass performance. The current Impression series
is a newly/different designed series of the former, and I have not listened to them yet.

For some exploration insight - this is another subjective pro review of the RBH/EMP E55Ti
http://digitaltrends.com/speaker...-e55ti-review/

However, it all comes down to your ears - and no one can speak for your ears.

There is no real loser between the 2 speakers
nadav2605 02:59 PM 12-18-2014
Quote:
Sound is subjective - and people out there based on some bias, and from not listening
to other speakers - will try to declare something or down grade another speaker.

I will tell you that I preferred the Monitor Audio RX Silver 6 speakers, over some $10,000
McIntosh speakers that I listened too. However, that does not guarantee how much you
would like them

I have owned some speakers from the RBH/EMP company in the pass - and it would not
be fair to comment based on their/that pass performance. The current Impression series
is a newly/different designed series of the former, and I have not listened to them yet.

For some exploration insight - this is another subjective pro review of the RBH/EMP E55Ti

However, it all comes down to your ears - and no one can speak for your ears.

There is no real loser between the 2 speakers
I was just thinking, because my space is not very big, am I better off getting a pair of higher level bookshelves instead of towers? Will it make more sense in this price point/room size? For example something like the B&W 685 S2? Would they perform better?

Thanks
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 03:27 PM 12-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadav2605 View Post
I was just thinking, because my space is not very big, am I better off getting a pair of higher level bookshelves instead of towers? Will it make more sense in this price point/room size? For example something like the B&W 685 S2? Would they perform better?

Thanks
With a bookshelf speaker - the bass may or may not be enough for you with music listening.
Most people prefer to mate a bookshelf speaker with a sub.

I do not consider B&W as an automatic higher level step up - I would for sure audition them,
and compare them to other speakers - and then make a decision.

What is your max budhet - is it around the $750 mark?
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 03:37 PM 12-18-2014
Quote:

I don't think I've ever seen that review. I'm most surprised about him saying he couldn't get them to disappear or for the soundstage to go past the speakers. Mine are 10' apart, while I sit about 11' away and they can extend well beyond. At times, it's scary how I can look directly at them and not feel like that's where the sound is coming from. It's a weird thing to hear/see!
ousooner2's Avatar ousooner2 03:38 PM 12-18-2014
Definitely agree though that sound is subjective and you might like or dislike either one. Both will likely be great for a majority of people in this price range though so you have the numbers on your side.
wrenchMONKEY_ 04:02 PM 12-18-2014
I have a pair of the Monitor Audio Silver 6's, also paired with a Silver Center. I originally got the MA Bronze BX2 and Center and paired it with a Polk PSW110 sub, not the greatest sub but it sounded OK . After a few days of listening, I wanted "more". I went back and auditioned to the Silver 6's and fell in love. Just what I wanted. Took back everything and got the Silver 6's, kept the Bronze center, but since I like smilar things and tibre matching is always good, I got the Silver Center too.

I run them in a 3,0 setup, Silver 6's L and R and a Silver center. Bass is fantastic for not having a sub. I listen to everything. From Disturbed, to Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Iron Maiden and Metallica to Tiesto. Never once felt I was lacking in any sound department on these albums. I am no audiophile, but appreciate good sound and condier my self an enthusiast. Everything is run off a Marantz SR6009.

I did think about going to the Silver 8, half for looking bigger and cooler, and half for sound, but after thinking about it and $ for $ I would be better off at getting a sub and sorting out my X overs. Some people have said the 6's to a 8's is a HUGE jump. For me I can't make that call, I've never head the 8's. I think I'll get a HSU sub and then decide down the road if I want to get the 8s

BlueRay movies are fantastic. Watching 007 Skyfall last night, I did see parts where a sub would of been better, but I've deicded to let my crappy Polk PSW110 stay in the garage and let these speakers do there wonders. I have the LR set as Large and the center as Small. Auddessy did a good job of setting them up. I cant wait to get a sub and see what it can do then, taking some load off the 6's.

For your $750 a pair, that seems like I great price. I paid $1400 ish up in Canada on sale brand new. Are you sure they are the Silver line, not the RS or RX?

Here is a pic of my setup, everyone likes pictures.
Attached: 20141207_140439.jpg (219.6 KB)
beaveav's Avatar beaveav 11:45 PM 12-18-2014
wrenchMONKEY has a good question: Are you sure they're the current model Silver 6 and not an older model like the S6, RS6, or RX6?

Because $700 for a pair of the current Silver 6 is an excellent deal. I would expect them to go for around $1000 (US) used.

nadav2605, where are you located?
nadav2605 08:32 AM 12-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post
wrenchMONKEY has a good question: Are you sure they're the current model Silver 6 and not an older model like the S6, RS6, or RX6?

Because $700 for a pair of the current Silver 6 is an excellent deal. I would expect them to go for around $1000 (US) used.

nadav2605, where are you located?
Located in NYC. I'm thinking of getting the B&W 685 S2 instead, as they won speaker of the year in several websites, including whathifi.com (http://whathifi.com/bw/685-s2/review). Does anybody think I would be happier with them in my current budget/room size? By the reviews, they don't seem to lack any bass... Question is what would be the difference from a tower? More details? Wider/deeper soundstage?

Thanks!
beaveav's Avatar beaveav 11:18 AM 12-19-2014
Your space is plenty big enough to handle the Silver 6 towers. They're fairly small as far as towers go. I used to have a pair of RX6s in a similar size room (and RS6s before that, and S6s before that! ).

For $700 I'd buy the Silver 6s and try them out. If you like em, you're done and you got a good deal. If you don't, I would think you could easily resell them on eBay or Craigslist for $900-$1000 if they're in good shape.

As for whether you'd like them better than the B&Ws, only you can answer that. You might, you might not. We can't predict that very well.

The Silver 6 towers probably go a bit deeper in the bass, and probably are slightly higher sensitivity too (meaning a bit louder at the same volume setting on your receiver). If you used a subwoofer, the B&Ws would be sufficient, but without a sub, and in the room your size, you might want the small extra bass of the Silver 6s.
nadav2605 01:30 PM 12-19-2014
Quote:
Your space is plenty big enough to handle the Silver 6 towers. They're fairly small as far as towers go. I used to have a pair of RX6s in a similar size room (and RS6s before that, and S6s before that! ).

For $700 I'd buy the Silver 6s and try them out. If you like em, you're done and you got a good deal. If you don't, I would think you could easily resell them on eBay or Craigslist for $900-$1000 if they're in good shape.

As for whether you'd like them better than the B&Ws, only you can answer that. You might, you might not. We can't predict that very well.

The Silver 6 towers probably go a bit deeper in the bass, and probably are slightly higher sensitivity too (meaning a bit louder at the same volume setting on your receiver). If you used a subwoofer, the B&Ws would be sufficient, but without a sub, and in the room your size, you might want the small extra bass of the Silver 6s.
Thing is the B&W i'm getting brand new from Magnolia - risk free, as for the Silver 6 it's from a guy - risky. The reviews actually say that the 685 have pretty good extended and precise bass. And above all that, I can get the EMP Tek towers for $550 brand new... How do you think they will compare to these two?

Thanks!
beaveav's Avatar beaveav 03:27 PM 12-19-2014
Again, none of us know which you will prefer. They all have pros and cons, and they all have fans and detractors.

My advice is to check out the Silver 6s. Are they in good/great shape? Where did the seller buy them? Does the seller still have the receipt? Will he/she let you listen to them? Are you sure they're the current model? If everything checks out, get them, and if you don't like them, resell them for the same price or even a little more and buy one of the others.
zieglj01's Avatar zieglj01 04:14 PM 12-19-2014
Quote:
Again, none of us know which you will prefer.
My advice is to check out the Silver 6s.
+1
Up
View Full Version