Forum Jump:
post #1 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you guys share your experience what is the best way to mount a heavy bookshelf speaker on wall for surround? This PSB Image B5 bookshelf is weighing 11.3lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 07:06 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Holds bookshelf speakers up to 22" tall, 11" wide and 13" deep. Maximum of 55lbs.

http://pinpointmounts.com/am40.html

instructions
http://pinpointmounts.com/resources/AM40_manual.pdf

Sold at J&R and Amazon
http://jr.com/pinpoint/pe/PPT_AM...ductTabDetails
http://amazon.com/Pinpoint-Clamp...&s=electronics

Afro GT
post #3 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 573
I can vouch for the am-40's. I used the to mount Paradigm mini-monitors,
which are bigger and heavier than the PSB's that you have.
Great product!!

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)

post #4 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I bought the pinpoint speaker mount from http://bracketsandstands.com/?Click=2190 great mount. I mounted a pair of Rocket RS250MKII that weigh close to 20lbs each, I did use the supplied screws to anchor it to the bottom of the bracket itself. But, again great speaker mount.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

I have an idea to mount it on a IKEA wood shelf but the speaker cannot be angled downward with this method...
post #6 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Pinpoint am40 worked terrifically for me, and you don't even have to drill holes in your speakers for that one. I think that's the best wall mount for under 100.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
+1 for the AM40 got a set of Polk Monitor 40's mounted on those and they hold them just fine!

My Setup | FS: Lots of stuff, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #8 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Apparently, I found that the instruction says that screws are needed to ensure maximum safety...
post #9 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM
pbc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 214
For an 11lbs speaker I'm not sure I'd be overly concerned with screws, your speaker isn't that heavy. Though the truth is most speaker mounts are going to suggest you use screws for the best safety. Especially if you are going to mount 20lb + speakers on them ...

My DIY Subs ... /avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #10 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

I have an idea to mount it on a IKEA wood shelf but the speaker cannot be angled downward with this method...

My dipole surrounds are very wide and fairly heavy, and have no place to attach mounting brackets. So I put them on shelves, and they sound great. They are mounted around 7 feet high, and I don't angle them down.

Someone recently posted here that surrounds in movie theaters are well above ear level and not pointed downwards, and he had a good explanation for why this is the preferred configuration. Unfortunately my searches haven't turned up that post. It had to do with the way we perceive sounds from behind and above and sounded reasonable.

Of course there may be others who disagree, and even have valid reasons. But I think you can go with the shelf configuration and be happy. If you really want to try pointing them down, put some rubber doorstops under the speakers.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Apparently, I found that the instruction says that screws are needed to ensure maximum safety...

They say that, but i didn't use them. I actually decided to go with 2 sets of industrial strength Velcro attached to the bottom of the speaker mount and then on the speaker.

That way I don't leave permanent holes in it if I ever decide to replace/sell them. Works just fine for me w/ my Monitor 40's and is secure as it can be. Considering one of them is directly mounted above my recliner that says a lot

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #12 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
ap1

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For relatively heavy (over 10lbs) and when you need to tilt speaker
you can use LCD TV mount. This is the best solution if there are threaded
holes in the back of the speaker. TV mounts are more
sturdy. I used them for B&W 685.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Toggle bolts.
post #14 of 31 Old 07-24-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure to go with the bipole surround is a better choice instead of just worrying the bookshelves might just drop from the mount...
post #15 of 31 Old 07-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm with Greggie. My surrounds weigh 19#ish each. I picked up a pair of "decorative shelf brackets" (1 bracket/speaker) from Lowe's and cut suitable lengths from one of their prefab shelves. Figure $30ish tops for a pair.

-Brent
post #16 of 31 Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwolf View Post

I'm with Greggie. My surrounds weigh 19#ish each. I picked up a pair of "decorative shelf brackets" (1 bracket/speaker) from Lowe's and cut suitable lengths from one of their prefab shelves. Figure $30ish tops for a pair.

-Brent

We did exactly the same thing, except I used the entire shelf and two brackets per speaker. Looks AND sounds good!
post #17 of 31 Old 07-25-2010, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Can you share some photos?
post #18 of 31 Old 07-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Small doorstops.

http://supplylinedirect.com/asse...327a0614a1.jpg

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #19 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
These are what Ill be using for my 22lbs speakers. Speakers can be angled and is only limited by the size of the speaker because the arm folds all the way down even touching the wall without anything attached to it. Perfect for my audyssey height speakers setup.

http://axiomaudio.com/fullmetalbracket.html#
post #20 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 AM
3db

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Check out these mounts from Btech

http://pinpointmounts.com/am40.html

They'll easily hold your B5s. I have them support a pair of PSB Image 1Bs using EZ-anchors direclt into the dry wall without hitting a stud. They are hold up just fine.

AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1500
Turntable/Cassette Deck ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX-800U
BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony BDP-S360
Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
Speakers PSB ImageT-45/Alphas Front, Image 8C/100c Ctr, Image 1B/RBH A600 Sur
Subwoofers Rythmic LV12-R
/PSB Subsonic 5
post #21 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:

post #22 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Sorry, my walls aren't as nice as Greggie's. ;-)

-Brent
LL
LL
post #23 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like a lot of peoples here are using direct monopoles instead of bipoles/dipoles....
post #24 of 31 Old 07-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Toggle bolt + picture wire

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #25 of 31 Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 AM
online-shashki Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you guys share your experience what is the best way to mount a heavy bookshelf speaker on wall for surround? This PSB Image B5 bookshelf is weighing 11.3lbs.

There are many brackets that can handle (as others have posted). However being in the biz for a long time both as an installer and in sales, I can tell you to be safe, don't trust a drywall anchor with a speaker that weight/depth. Make sure you grab a stud to be safe.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

There are many brackets that can handle (as others have posted). However being in the biz for a long time both as an installer and in sales, I can tell you to be safe, don't trust a drywall anchor with a speaker that weight/depth. Make sure you grab a stud to be safe.

I just mounted the AM40's which are holding up my terribly heavy Monitor 40's.

The option to find a stud is not always there, there were no studs available unless I put my surrounds in front of where I was sitting .

I used the EZ-toggles and I have no worries of them coming down, although I might be concerned if I were to hang from the AM40 since I'm 200lbs.

http://itwbrands.com/product_details.aspx?id=4

The anchors say they will hold 100lbs each and I used 4 of them for each mount, they grip onto the back of the drywall, or in my case plaster and create a very sturdy mount. Of course if you have a stud use it, but the monitor 40's are 16lbs each + the weight of the mount itself, and they are very secure. I used industrial strength velcro to secure the back from leaning forward, but otherwise one screw would do it if you don't care about drilling into your speakers. However with velcro, and being that they are clamped, they are already MUCH sturdier than using stands, you would have to purposly yank of them very hard to get them to come undone. Maybe by putting all my weight on the top portion and pulling it down, it "might" come off the mount, or I "might" break off a chunk of plaser from my wall. I'm not sure either would happen or which would happen first.
post #27 of 31 Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

I just mounted the AM40's which are holding up my terribly heavy Monitor 40's.

The option to find a stud is not always there, there were no studs available unless I put my surrounds in front of where I was sitting .

I used the EZ-toggles and I have no worries of them coming down, although I might be concerned if I were to hang from the AM40 since I'm 200lbs.

http://itwbrands.com/product_details.aspx?id=4

The anchors say they will hold 100lbs each and I used 4 of them for each mount, they grip onto the back of the drywall, or in my case plaster and create a very sturdy mount. Of course if you have a stud use it, but the monitor 40's are 16lbs each + the weight of the mount itself, and they are very secure. I used industrial strength velcro to secure the back from leaning forward, but otherwise one screw would do it if you don't care about drilling into your speakers. However with velcro, and being that they are clamped, they are already MUCH sturdier than using stands, you would have to purposly yank of them very hard to get them to come undone. Maybe by putting all my weight on the top portion and pulling it down, it "might" come off the mount, or I "might" break off a chunk of plaser from my wall. I'm not sure either would happen or which would happen first.

Glad the Velcro worked for you as well. I was hesitant, but its working great and no holes in my speakers

post #28 of 31 Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Seems like a lot of peoples here are using direct monopoles instead of bipoles/dipoles....

Many a religious war has been waged on this topic. Search and ye shall find.

As in most things, it comes down to a matter of taste...or what review/article/thread you read when first discovering this addiction. ;-) Food for thought, movie/music soundtracks are mixed in studios with 5/7 identical monopole monitors equidistant from and aimed directly at the sweet spot.

Bipoles and dipoles are very different creatures, not similar/interchangeable as your "/" would suggest. Bipoles radiate sound as two monopoles placed back to back. Dipoles are wired to radiate their sound 180° out of phase between the front and back driver to cancel any direct sound from reaching a listener sitting on the axis between the driver faces.

My personal opinion as someone who's been in this hobby for 20ish years:

Dipoles were born of THX's efforts to bring the home theater sound home, especially the spaciouness of a big theater's acoustics and their multiple surround speaker arrays. This was back in the day of Dolby ProLogic when there were really only 2 discrete audio tracks and the surround signal was a derived mono source. This derived channel was also bandwidth limited. Dipoles, along with THX decorrelation, helped diffuse that mono signal to reduce/elminate the "in your head" sound of dual mono surround speakers. I think Dolby may have even bought into this recommendation at some point as Dolby and THX worked together quite a bit to advance the movie reproduction experience. Most speaker makers introduced dipole surrounds during this period, whether they offered THX packages or not.

Fast forward to the era of 5 discrete full range channels made possible by the Dolby Digital or DTS codecs. Suddenly, a mixer wasn't limited to putting environmental sounds in the rear...wind, rain, traffic, that sort of thing. Now, you could reproduce 5 part harmony with a different voice in each channel if you wanted with no bleeding of the signal from one channel to the next. That jet could come in over your left shoulder going toward the right corner of the room, bank across the front stage, and then zoom back out over your right shoulder. Dipoles, by design, don't produce the pinpoint imaging needed for some of these acoustic tricks that we love so much. If you look at their websites, both Dolby and DTS currently show monopoles in the side and rear surround positions while THX still shows dipoles in the side position.

As an aside, I don't recall bipoles ever getting major consideration for surround locations. DefTech and Mirage were probably the biggest proponents (that I can remember), but their speakers were bipole before the surround movement ever started. M&K had a tripole at one point...it was a three faced speaker with a switch for mono/bi/di pole operation. Seems one or two other brands may have tried the switchable idea for either mono/di or bi/di operation...just goes to show you how much agreement there is over which is better.

-Brent
Mithoz likes this.
post #29 of 31 Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

These are what Ill be using for my 22lbs speakers. Speakers can be angled and is only limited by the size of the speaker because the arm folds all the way down even touching the wall without anything attached to it. Perfect for my audyssey height speakers setup.

http://axiomaudio.com/fullmetalbracket.html#

These appear to be the best option for my SVS speakers. They are 19 pounds, and 20 inches tall. I want to be able to tilt them more than the 7 degrees the Pinpoint mounts allow, and not have to worry about them falling off.
post #30 of 31 Old 10-04-2014, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a difference between the AM40 mounts vs. the AM41B mounts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page