Forum Jump:
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had recently purchased this 6.1 surround sound speaker system from Bose... I hear everyone saying it has incredible sound and a good frequency range. My uncle has a older model hooked up to an Onkyo surround sound amp. It sounds very clean indeed, no bass distortion. So I blew my old Sony DAV-FR10W surround sound system... The center speaker kept bopping and finally fried. So I told my parents it's time to really upgrade. I went and got me the brand new Bose Acoustimass® 16 Series II. I hooked up the cubes first to my old amp, one center speaker was really loud and very detailed. I ordered the Onkyo TX-SR805 surround sound amplifier. Boy can this thing push power cleanly. Has a lot of features. I hooked up the Acoustimass bass module. Ran all my speaker wiring and installed the brackets & speakers on the wall. I turned up the volume about -30db on the amp... Mids & highs were sweet (thinking of adding extra tweeters) but the bass? Oh god... It doesn't go as low as I thought, and it sounds like it's stressing... Now I'm thinking of buying an additional 12 inch and run it through the LFE from the amp, and I know usually a sub has an output, so the Bose will get that for it's LFE. What do you guys think? Maybe it could be a problem with my wiring? Or something I did wrong? Also, can someone recommend a good subwoofer for a good price? I'm looking around $200-$300.

DJ Kevin - Indian Majestic Sounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
online-shashki Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
did you do something worng? yeah you bought a bose system!

j/k (well...kinda)

is there a crossover somehwere or a phase switch you can play with on the amp?

(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post

is there a crossover somehwere or a phase switch you can play with on the amp?

Yes, the Onkyo amplifier has a LFE output crossover... The lowest it could go is 80hz I think last time I checked... And that's for THX. Remember, this amp is THX certified . On the Acoustimass module, I have the bass level set to 0 and the LFE level all the way up...

Old 08-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Seriously. You bought a Bose system? You're about to get crucified on this forum. Everyone else will say it so I'll save them the trouble. You got had.

Bose makes some of the worst audio speakers in the world especially at their price.

See if you can return them, give us your TOTAL price that you'd like to spend on the speakers (including the sub) and we'll give you some recommendations that will match up much better with your new Onkyo (which BTW isn't bad!).

-Chad
Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kevin - I.M.S View Post

but the bass? Oh god... It doesn't go as low as I thought, and it sounds like it's stressing... Now I'm thinking of buying an additional 12 inch and run it through the LFE from the amp, and I know usually a sub has an output, so the Bose will get that for it's LFE.

Well, what did you think a trio of medium-sized paper midwoofers were going to do when press-ganged into subwoofer duty?

How big is your room?

-Jason
Old 08-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I had recently purchased this 6.1 surround sound speaker system from Bose... I hear everyone saying it has incredible sound and a good frequency range. My uncle has a older model hooked up to an Onkyo surround sound amp. It sounds very clean indeed, no bass distortion. So I blew my old Sony DAV-FR10W surround sound system... The center speaker kept bopping and finally fried. So I told my parents it's time to really upgrade. I went and got me the brand new Bose Acoustimass® 16 Series II. I hooked up the cubes first to my old amp, one center speaker was really loud and very detailed. I ordered the Onkyo TX-SR805 surround sound amplifier. Boy can this thing push power cleanly. Has a lot of features. I hooked up the Acoustimass bass module. Ran all my speaker wiring and installed the brackets & speakers on the wall. I turned up the volume about -30db on the amp... Mids & highs were sweet (thinking of adding extra tweeters) but the bass? Oh god... It doesn't go as low as I thought, and it sounds like it's stressing... Now I'm thinking of buying an additional 12 inch and run it through the LFE from the amp, and I know usually a sub has an output, so the Bose will get that for it's LFE. What do you guys think? Maybe it could be a problem with my wiring? Or something I did wrong? Also, can someone recommend a good subwoofer for a good price? I'm looking around $200-$300.

When you DJ what type of gear do you run, if you don't mind saying?

Russ
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM

I assume you have never read this article:

http://intellexual.net/bose.html

If you had you would have never bought Bose. Read about just how bad they are. Bose systems are "ok" for movies. For music they're absolutely unusable.

-Chad
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 PM

For hhe sub can't beat the A2-300 from elemental designs its 315 shipped on sale.

Can't fix stupid
Old 08-27-2008, 05:27 PM

LMFAO! An 805 and an AM16?

Worst Combo Ever!

Thats like having a Corvette with a VW Beetle engine.

Who on Earth told you the AM16 had incredible sound? The Bose salesmen?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Come on guys, he said that it sounded good to him when he listened to his uncle's setup. Let's not crucify him for liking something he hears.

But, as others have said, Bose basically sounds good in a limited frequency range. If you can, get your money back. Please
Old 08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hear everyone saying it has incredible sound and a good frequency range.

Are these people deaf?

It has mediocre sound and one of the worst frequency responses I have ever seen. You have to try hard to be this bad, it doesn't happen by accident.

I honestly think it was a marketing experiment. Like, "Hey, I bet you $5 we can design a horrible system and still get people to buy it. What the hell, we'll market it as 'high end' and charge big bucks for it."

If you like the tiny little speaker thing check out orb audio. Decent speakers that extend low enough to integrate with a good sub. Beats the pants off Bose, for less money.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metal View Post

Come on guys, he said that it sounded good to him when he listened to his uncle's setup. Let's not crucify him for liking something he hears.

But, as others have said, Bose basically sounds good in a limited frequency range. If you can, get your money back. Please

Crucify, Crucify!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

Seriously. You bought a Bose system? You're about to get crucified on this forum. Everyone else will say it so I'll save them the trouble. You got had.

Bose makes some of the worst audio speakers in the world especially at their price.

See if you can return them, give us your TOTAL price that you'd like to spend on the speakers (including the sub) and we'll give you some recommendations that will match up much better with your new Onkyo (which BTW isn't bad!).

-Chad

Now, what does "you got had" mean? I'm new to these forums, and I don't understand the insiders yet lol! And returning, we might have a problem... My dad is kinda strict, and he's going to yell at me and say I asked for them so that's what I got and gotta keep. And my total price on speakers would be $1,500 or less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtful Goat View Post

Well, what did you think a trio of medium-sized paper midwoofers were going to do when press-ganged into subwoofer duty?

How big is your room?

I live in an apartment, where the neighbors are complaining every single day... I never was too curious into measuring the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

When you DJ what type of gear do you run, if you don't mind saying?

We have custom built speakers that we made from scratch. They are professional audio speakers, not home! Visit my MySpace or the I.M.S homepage for more pictures (but the I.M.S page is currently under maintenance so I doubt the pictures will show up).

Quote:

(sorry, I have to take off the link cause they think I'm a spammer already!)

If you had you would have never bought Bose. Read about just how bad they are. Bose systems are "ok" for movies. For music they're absolutely unusable.

-Chad

Since I got my set up, I never got to sit down and listen how a movie would sound. But from what I've heard from my uncle, was amazing. I'm currently learning guys, can't crucify me for that. One day I'll get better! I will sit down one day and read out that whole article. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

LMFAO! An 805 and an AM16?

Worst Combo Ever!

Thats like having a Corvette with a VW Beetle engine.

Who on Earth told you the AM16 had incredible sound? The Bose salesmen?

Nice comparison there... And yes, from a Bose salesmen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbunnysoulja View Post

Crucify, Crucify!

Let's keep the peace.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Let's keep the peace.

lol. I was just kidding. I actually had an AM16 back when I was new to audio. Everyone falls into the marketing trap sooner or later.

Now, its all about research, research, research.

When you compare the AM16 to TV speakers, yea it rocks.

But compare it to many other speakers @ the same or less, and it gets blown away.

Either way, if you are happy with them, thats all that matters.

For subs, I love DIY, but I also really like ID. HSU and SVS are great.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard SVS before... and yes, I do know there are way better speakers. But, we live in an apartment where the neighbors cause problems...

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Why not the satellite package from Hsu?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Never heard of them...

Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 PM

When I said "you got had" I mean like "you got taken for a ride" or someone sold you something that's not worth even half what you paid for it. Bose speakers only reproduce about 2/3 of the frequency range that humans can hear. That's a VERY short summary of the article link I posted. If you don't mind only getting 2/3 of the frequency spectrum, but paid $1,500 then you got a good deal. Otherwise, you got had

If you can't return them... well that sucks man. There are a lot better packages that will work in your apartment sized space for less cash.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

So what would you do for that price?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:

For smaller speakers I'd probably do an SVS SBS-01 package with PB12-NSD for $1150 (on sale through October right now). You'll love the difference, and the difference between the subwoofer's capabilities compared to the Bose unit you have will be mind-blowing.

If you don't mind going a bit larger than the Bose cubes you have now, then the x-ls bookshelves at all 4 corners, x-cs center (both of these speakers are from ********** by the way), and the Elemental Design A2-300 subwoofer at a total of $1,222 for all 6 speakers will be a huge upgrade from your Bose system as well.

In that budget I'd buy one of those 2 packages for myself, but that's not to say there aren't other options because there are a LOT. It's hard to do much worse than a Bose system in my opinion, but hey I'm just one guy, and everyone has an opinion right?

You'd be saving yourself $300 and notice huge improvements especially immediately in the bass department, and music performance for the system itself. Movies will be better too, but the difference aside from the subwoofer will probably be less significant than the other areas.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 AM

DJ Kevin - I.M.S, don't feel bad about this. Many of us have gone through similar experiences.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 AM

No surprise at all. All Bose products are a waste of money.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldTheBarrel View Post

No surprise at all. All Bose products are a waste of money.

Actually their noise reduction headphones are pretty cool. Have you ever tried them?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Actually their noise reduction headphones are pretty cool. Have you ever tried them?

I have, and I don't like them at all. And I am a hp junkie.

Currently I'm using Senny 650's and Denon D2000's via Zero Dac with (2) OPA627AU's on adapter + (2) LT1364's.

I also have several others, as well as others on my short list. HP's ROCK!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Bose systems are "ok" for movies. For music they're absolutely unusable.

-Chad

I have to respectfully disagree. Bose is also unusable for movies. Dialog clarity is non existent. About the only thing Bose can be used for would be back ground music in a restaurant or some place where most of the Bose output is drowned out by people talking. I personally wouldn't use them even for that.

Monte
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:

For $1500, living in an apartment, I'd spend $300 on a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and spend the rest on CDs. And I mean this quite sincerely. The Sennheisers are better than most speakers costing several thousand dollars, you can play them as loud as you like any time of the day or night. You'll hear every tiny detail in music or movie soundtrack. And nothing is ever going to blow up, unless it's your ears from playing them too loud.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Peter, how low can the headphones playback though?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I am not looking for headphones... All I'm doing is concentrating on getting my home theater system to sound great. But, I already got the Bose... Just got to wait for it to break on me, LOL! How long do you guys estimate this? I am also looking for a headphone that is good for remixing. Something that brings out all the frequencies cleanly, and something that will make my material clean.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I am not looking for headphones... All I'm doing is concentrating on getting my home theater system to sound great. But, I already got the Bose... Just got to wait for it to break on me, LOL! How long do you guys estimate this? I am also looking for a headphone that is good for remixing. Something that brings out all the frequencies cleanly, and something that will make my material clean.

You DJ and your asking about headphones, what do you use when your doing that?

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement